• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

Lobby

Hey so I’m still waiting for my Alpha... mail is slow AF right now. I thought the normal Alpha NonG stems fit inside the core?

I ordered 2 of them thinking they were the normal size.... are you saying they are oversized and fit over the alpha heater vs inside it?

I saw the available stem photos a few pages back.... it looked like normal and oversize?

Did anyone who recently ordered an Alpha get a normal 18mm NonG that fits inside the heater?
I the 18mm Nong and it fits on the outside of the core.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Ah....so the nylon alpha direct draw goes inside? Cool....waiting on the restock
Yes the long nylon direct draw.
😸

Edit for link

Ripstar

I've gotta say. A while back I was kind of going crazy ordering things left and right, so a bunch of shit showed up basically all at the same time, meaning I didn't really fully get the chance to play with my new things. Unfortunately one (or two) of those things came from 508Phineas but long story short I had this heady glass stem sitting in my drawer for quite a while. I used it once when I first got it just to see but for whatever reason, I wasn't impressed.

Used it for the 2nd time last night, (and 3rd, 4th, 5th...) and I was mad at myself for letting it sit neglected for so long. I'll try and get some better pics later... but its a really nice stem. Just took a super shitty pic of it

Actually @arb I was thinking if you got something like this for your Alpha, you would probably have the most phalic set up out there. Even over the vapbongs.

386-D3-EF2-74-B4-4-F06-ABF6-F7-B0-A90-A8-FBA.jpg
Nice! I might have to pick one up from him too, he makes great stuff! Love the one I ordered from UD but I can always use more custom glass.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I've gotta say. A while back I was kind of going crazy ordering things left and right, so a bunch of shit showed up basically all at the same time, meaning I didn't really fully get the chance to play with my new things. Unfortunately one (or two) of those things came from 508Phineas but long story short I had this heady glass stem sitting in my drawer for quite a while. I used it once when I first got it just to see but for whatever reason, I wasn't impressed.

Used it for the 2nd time last night, (and 3rd, 4th, 5th...) and I was mad at myself for letting it sit neglected for so long. I'll try and get some better pics later... but its a really nice stem. Just took a super shitty pic of it

Actually @arb I was thinking if you got something like this for your Alpha, you would probably have the most phalic set up out there. Even over the vapbongs.

386-D3-EF2-74-B4-4-F06-ABF6-F7-B0-A90-A8-FBA.jpg

Awesome glad you gave it another chance.. they're super nice and work great IMO.

We also have a batch of Heady Alpha Stems he made for us (thanks @508Phineas) that we still need to get pics of and put up on the website.. so much to do so little time.. damn I need an intern or some kind of helper.

GraniteState420

Awesome glad you gave it another chance.. they're super nice and work great IMO.

We also have a batch of Heady Alpha Stems he made for us (thanks @508Phineas) that we still need to get pics of and put up on the website.. so much to do so little time.. damn I need an intern or some kind of helper.
Pls let us know when the heady AD stems are up on the site! Gotta grab one of those!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY

I agree! It does work great, I'm finding you have to be a bit mindful of the load size, but it really is a nice stem. Packs a nice punch but smooths out the vapor for sure.

I have another one from him I still have yet to even try once lol. Not a heady one, just a standard cooling stem... but will give that a shot soon

CurryLeafTreehugger

So I don't see the regular glass stems on the site any more ... I broke my last one a bit ago, PLEASE tell me you haven't decided not to carry these any more? I only see the thick glass ones and I didn't like that one (and it was the first to break as well).

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: arb

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
So I don't see the regular glass stems on the site any more ... I broke my last one a bit ago, PLEASE tell me you haven't decided not to carry these any more? I only see the thick glass ones and I didn't like that one (and it was the first to break as well).

Yeah sorry to be the bearer of bad news.. we got rid of the regular glass stems. The quality was too inconsistent and way too many people broke them way too easy compared to the thick wall ones.. plus we needed to simplify things during the ongoing fire recovery.

CurryLeafTreehugger

YEEEEEAAAAAARGGGGH! Well if you're not going to carry them any more, do you know where I can buy some? I've got my first UD 5 or 6 years ago and got my stems in 3 shipments starting with the first one, and only broke the last of my stems just recently. And I'm dropsy, with tile floors. So across 3 different batches, I didn't find them particularly breakable.

The thick wall one broke first. Just shattered. Plus it didn't seem to work as well. I can't remember details any more, except that I just didn't much like it.

I only like the glass stems. Not only can I see what's going on vape-wise and time-to-clean-wise, but I can also push the screen in from the bottom flat side up, which GREATLY reduces the need to clean the screen. Sometimes the basket goes doo-whonkers and gets twisted in the stem, you can prevent/fix that in a glass stem because you can see it.

I tried local head shops and all I ended up with was a waste of $5, a very thin walled glass tube that they cut un-straight on one end and torch welded the other end until it melted and partly collapsed. EG, totally useless. Well I do use it in my doo-dads jar to corral the nutpicks I use as scraper/stirrers.

Or if you have advice for how to cut glass tubing like that. I have some glass straws for boba tea that I've been using as stems but they're stupidly long. Need to be cut in half. I do have a dremel tool, and lots of other tools ...

CurryLeafTreehugger,

arb

Semi shaved ape
YEEEEEAAAAAARGGGGH! Well if you're not going to carry them any more, do you know where I can buy some? I've got my first UD 5 or 6 years ago and got my stems in 3 shipments starting with the first one, and only broke the last of my stems just recently. And I'm dropsy, with tile floors. So across 3 different batches, I didn't find them particularly breakable.

The thick wall one broke first. Just shattered. Plus it didn't seem to work as well. I can't remember details any more, except that I just didn't much like it.

I only like the glass stems. Not only can I see what's going on vape-wise and time-to-clean-wise, but I can also push the screen in from the bottom flat side up, which GREATLY reduces the need to clean the screen. Sometimes the basket goes doo-whonkers and gets twisted in the stem, you can prevent/fix that in a glass stem because you can see it.

I tried local head shops and all I ended up with was a waste of $5, a very thin walled glass tube that they cut un-straight on one end and torch welded the other end until it melted and partly collapsed. EG, totally useless. Well I do use it in my doo-dads jar to corral the nutpicks I use as scraper/stirrers.

Or if you have advice for how to cut glass tubing like that. I have some glass straws for boba tea that I've been using as stems but they're stupidly long. Need to be cut in half. I do have a dremel tool, and lots of other tools ...
I use w wet diamond saw for cutting rocks and tile.
Then I use a sanding sponge to smooth the cut end up.

CurryLeafTreehugger

I use w wet diamond saw for cutting rocks and tile.
Then I use a sanding sponge to smooth the cut end up.
What blade do you use? I actually have a semi-cheap tile saw (wet tile saw) though I won't be able to use it until spring (needs to be used outside). I mean like teeth per inch or the toothless sort or whatever. I get the diamond part.

Also how do you stabilize the glass tubing so it doesn't roll while cutting? I assume you wrap the cutting area in tape first. I would also draw a cutting line on the tape.

CurryLeafTreehugger,

arb

Semi shaved ape
What blade do you use? I actually have a semi-cheap tile saw (wet tile saw) though I won't be able to use it until spring (needs to be used outside). I mean like teeth per inch or the toothless sort or whatever. I get the diamond part.

Also how do you stabilize the glass tubing so it doesn't roll while cutting? I assume you wrap the cutting area in tape first. I would also draw a cutting line on the tape.
The blade came with the saw and is extremely thin.Has diamond abrasive adhered to it and has no apparent teeth.
The blade is I am using is for gemstone but a tile blade will work.
I mark the tube and have a wood fence I made to support the glass.
Ain't perfect but seems to do the job well enough.

Ripstar

If you're gonna order the nylon direct draw, get the SS lite also. I have them both but something about the lite just does it for me and I'm not sure why
ummmm, wow. You were definitely right! I got the SS Lite last week but hadn't gotten around to using it until tonight. Holy snap, I love the long nylon but man, the ss just does something different. Unreal pulls!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
ummmm, wow. You were definitely right! I got the SS Lite last week but hadn't gotten around to using it until tonight. Holy snap, I love the long nylon but man, the ss just does something different. Unreal pulls!

Haha it sounds like you were just as surprised as I was. Amazing what a simple straight piece of stainless steel can do. Holding it in my hands I had my doubts but after my first pull I realized that it is a serious stem lol

I had been using the nylon direct draw a bit just to double check, but I still think I prefer the SS lite. Exploring my new appreciation for the heady stems now though

Glad you ended up getting it! and liking it, more importantly!

CurryLeafTreehugger

So I guess what I'll do for glass stems now is take the boba straws I have that are the same size and cut them. I am thinking I'll get some cove molding (wood trim that has a curve cut into it) to stabilize the straws for cutting. I'll wrap duct tape at the cut point and mark that, then tape the straw to a piece of the cove molding (then I can just put a flat side down and use the cove molding as a carrier, easier to hang on to, I'll put some of that mesh nonslip shelf liner pieces between the molding and the tubing to help keep it from turning in the cradle).

this is the kind of molding I'm talking about:

Then I'll take the broken stems and cut them into about 1/2" pieces (otherwise the screen will be too far from the heating element), should be able to get several of them. I'm going to attempt a new method of screen application. I think 1/2" screens will fit on top of the glass stems without falling through. So I am going to try to put a piece of silicone tubing about an inch long on one end of a stem, drop a 1/2" screen in there to fit on top of the stem edge, then shove a short glass piece to hold the screen in place. So

(Well that didn't work. Did ascii art and it took out all the spaces. I'll have to go make a graphic separately ... brb) EDIT EDIT EDIT well I went and made SUCH a pretty picture only to remember as I tried to post it that YOU CAN'T POST IMAGES HERE, you can only link to them if they're already on line. Since I only have a photobucket account and photobucket hasn't let you link there for years, can't do that. I think there's a thingy somewhere where you can upload a picture without an account and link that way but I've lost the link. Oh well. No pretty picture for us.

As long as I'm cutting stuff up anyway, might as well experiment. It would save me a LOT of time and trouble if I could just drop a flat screen in instead of trying to shove a basket upside down all the way from the wrong end of the stem LOL! Plus way easier to clean. Assuming I can get everything to mate properly.

Last edited:

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
So I guess what I'll do for glass stems now is take the boba straws I have that are the same size and cut them. I am thinking I'll get some cove molding (wood trim that has a curve cut into it) to stabilize the straws for cutting. I'll wrap duct tape at the cut point and mark that, then tape the straw to a piece of the cove molding (then I can just put a flat side down and use the cove molding as a carrier, easier to hang on to, I'll put some of that mesh nonslip shelf liner pieces between the molding and the tubing to help keep it from turning in the cradle).

this is the kind of molding I'm talking about:

Then I'll take the broken stems and cut them into about 2" pieces , should be able to get several of them. I'm going to attempt a new method of screen application. I think 1/2" screens will fit on top of the glass stems without falling through. So I am going to try to put a piece of silicone tubing about 2" long on one end of a stem, drop a 1/2" screen in there to fit on top of the stem edge, then shove a short glass piece to hold the screen in place. So

(Well that didn't work. I'll have to go make a graphic separately ... brb)

So I As long as I'm cutting stuff up anyway, might as well experiment. It would save me a LOT of time and trouble if I could just drop a flat screen in instead of trying to shove a basket upside down all the way from the wrong end of the stem LOL! Plus way easier to clean. Assuming I can get everything to mate properly.

Just FYI I know zero about glass cutting so take this with a grain of salt

Before you start getting complicated, something like this seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier

Edit: nvm spoke too soon and posted a link before actually looking at it.

Basically what I was thinking of was a tool like this, which is for metal pipe, but I would think there has to be something out there for glass?

Edit edit

something like this?

CurryLeafTreehugger

Just FYI I know zero about glass cutting so take this with a grain of salt

Before you start getting complicated, something like this seems like it would be a hell of a lot easier

Edit: nvm spoke too soon and posted a link before actually looking at it

LOL! No worries mate (he posted a link to a silicone/plastic tubing cutter LOL!)

CurryLeafTreehugger,

CurryLeafTreehugger

Yeah, but look, I posted a glass one now :lol: :lol: Edited it like 2 or 3 times
Yeah, but that's not really a glass cutter. It SCORES tubing so you can break it, hopefully cleanly. I used to know how to do that with a propane torch and a diamond cutter. I think I'll stick with the tile saw LOL! If I have the tubing cradled it won't be THAT hard to cut. On a wet saw at least, which I happen to have one of.

And don't feel bad. I'm still editing my post to which you responded. I accidentally posted it while I was still writing it LOL!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
Yeah, but that's not really a glass cutter. It SCORES tubing so you can break it, hopefully cleanly. I used to know how to do that with a propane torch and a diamond cutter. I think I'll stick with the tile saw LOL! If I have the tubing cradled it won't be THAT hard to cut. On a wet saw at least, which I happen to have one of.

And don't feel bad. I'm still editing my post to which you responded. I accidentally posted it while I was still writing it LOL!

Ah, see you're already far ahead of me in glass knowledge lol but I gotcha now! Your way sounds better lmao

Top Bottom