Underdog Log Vapes

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
New puppy here. Old vaper. EQ/solo/air depending on where and when.

Just thought I'd share my first impressions: - it's very different from the EQ - that maintains rock solid temperature control no matter how much air is pulled through the load so is pretty easy to learn to use, whereas the air temperature is going to drop during a hard toke with a log and take a while to come back up meaning that the user needs to adapt to a very different device.

I got 3 different stems and have managed to try them all over the last few hours. Thanks to underdog for a painless international consumer experience and a very lovely piece of wood. The variable voltage transformer works fine here on 240VAC.

I was reminded what ABV tastes like by sucking too hard on the fat glass stem and realised that this was probably a rite of passage for most underdog users who tend to open boxes, turn things on and start sucking. I like the one or two hitter aspect of the stainless steel with very small not-ground clumps of flower. I can get pretty good hits out of the fat glass now although I can see it's going to take a lot more practise - which I don't mind doing. The nylon is ok although probably the one I liked least so far.

The log has a relatively small constant input - in my case about 9.2W at 11v on the dial - so needs a much more subtle approach than the EQ.

The most obvious difference is that I can fire up and hit the EQ and then be off doing stuff in about 10 minutes total.

The log is more of a committment to a couple of hours of more frequent smaller and much, much more gentle hits. I can see that being my rainy day indoors goto vaping option.

Last edited:

GraniteState420

Heya Dogs we're working on new pieces but won't be able to finish them until our wayward parts come in (supposedly this week).. just a heads up for those of you looking at the website and wearing out your refresh buttons. Once the parts do arrive we'll get them put up post-haste and it should be a decent size refresh with 20+ vapes including a number of Alphas, SC3+. There will also be some Specials (aka, Vape Special) and Artsy SC3 units. :cheers:

Yes definitely. As long as it's not out in the rain (or whatever) and you have access to an outlet you should be good. If it's cold you'll probably need to bump the voltage somewhere in the .2v to .5v range to compensate but other than that no problem. It can also help if you set the vape on something that can insulate it from what it's sitting on a bit (assuming said surface is cold) like a piece of corrugated cardboard or a washcloth.

Exactly! :cool::rockon:
Good to hear! Any alpha stems included in the wayward parts shipment? Thx

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Is the heater core on the Alpha big enough that a glass stem might fit INSIDE, like the stainless steel stems?

So it would be REALLY USEFUL to me if I could find glass straws to fit an Alpha dog. I can get bigger one hit loads and maybe only need ONE reload!

Not a regular glass stem, maybe with some super small tubing but the load would be smaller than other stems so probably not a direction anyone would want to go.

The Alpha does have straight glass stems available now, these are the largest size bowl we have in any stem. :cheers:

@underdog , @underdogette : Any idea when the fancy glass Alpha stems will hit the site? :)

I'm really hoping this week. Underdogette has been working a bunch of overtime at her 'day job' to keep us afloat while I do what feels like this:
homer perfect loops GIF

So it's just a matter of finding the labor/time to get pics taken and the website edited. Along with all the other endless tasks I need her help with lol.

Good to hear! Any alpha stems included in the wayward parts shipment? Thx

Are you talking about the Nylon Direct Draw Alpha? If so I've got a batch in the shop right now just trying to find the time to finish them up. Hopefully before the week ends but you know how that goes with this one-man-band. :freak:

Last edited:

GraniteState420

Heya Dogs we're working on new pieces but won't be able to finish them until our wayward parts come in (supposedly this week).. just a heads up for those of you looking at the website and wearing out your refresh buttons. Once the parts do arrive we'll get them put up post-haste and it should be a decent size refresh with 20+ vapes including a number of Alphas, SC3+. There will also be some Specials (aka, Vape Special) and Artsy SC3 units. :cheers:

Yes definitely. As long as it's not out in the rain (or whatever) and you have access to an outlet you should be good. If it's cold you'll probably need to bump the voltage somewhere in the .2v to .5v range to compensate but other than that no problem. It can also help if you set the vape on something that can insulate it from what it's sitting on a bit (assuming said surface is cold) like a piece of corrugated cardboard or a washcloth.

Exactly! :cool::rockon:
Good to hear! Any alpha stems included in the wayward parts shipment?
Not a regular glass stem, maybe with some super small tubing but the load would be smaller than other stems so probably not a direction anyone would want to go.

The Alpha does have straight glass stems available now, these are the largest size bowl we have in any stem. :cheers:

I'm really hoping this week. Underdogette has been working a bunch of overtime at her 'day job' to keep us afloat while I do what feels like this:
homer perfect loops GIF

So it's just a matter of finding the labor/time to get pics taken and the website edited. Along with all the other endless tasks I need her help with lol.

Are you talking about the Nylon Direct Draw Alpha? If so I've got a batch in the shop right now just trying to find the time to finish them up. Hopefully before the week ends but you know how that goes with this one-man-band. :freak:
Yes....and sounds great, thanks

Ripstar

I've been eyeing those IG.....do you notice a big difference from a normal jhook?
I did, I didn't even realize how much vapor was pouring out and ended up coughing hard, in a good way. One stem was plenty. Not quite sure which stem I prefer yet but, I am leaning towards the short because of the path. Also, it's super fun in a portable way.

fubar

Ancient and opiniated inhaler
As a long term dry herb vape user, I have always thought that convection extraction was what I strove for - in the vapes I use mostly, the EQ/Air/Solo, that is the dominant mode I think - the glass gradually gets hot too of course so some conduction but the load is flatter so less exposed proportionally. So, there's always some radiation and some conduction but probably mostly convection AFAIK in the EQ.

A few sessions with a warm underdog @10.5V and the SS stem after a screen adjustment has me thinking that conduction has some merit that I'd never appreciated before and it seems to be a feature rather than a bug :)

Seems clear that where the load is, the sides of the SS tube get really hot. Since the stem is so narrow, the load gets proportionally more effectively baked by heat conducted from the side walls, as well as from the convected heat from air drawn through the load.

Whatever the physics, it seems to produce a lot of tasty vapour in a few gentle tokes with about 0.04 - 0.06g of ABV per load.
I get dark, evenly baked ABV with no signs of char. It took some dialing in to suit my needs in distance and voltage. I really like being able to adjust those - it makes a huge difference.

Turning my glass screens around so the cup faced the heater helped a lot too - but right now I'm enjoying the SS now that I have the hang of it. Good to have the option although it does require a little more, shall we say, commitment :)

CurryLeafTreehugger

I can't find these on the UD website?

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
I can't find these on the UD website?

I don't think they're on there for individual purchase yet, only as part of vape packages for now but that will change. That said they only work with Alphas.. you don't have an Alpha do you?

If you want more of those thin-walled glass stems I'm looking at having a small batch run.. are you interested? How many would you want?

arb

Semi shaved ape

I don't think they're on there for individual purchase yet, only as part of vape packages for now but that will change. That said they only work with Alphas.. you don't have an Alpha do you?

If you want more of those thin-walled glass stems I'm looking at having a small batch run.. are you interested? How many would you want?
Nice batch!
I also have some fear for my safety happening........ lolz.

CurryLeafTreehugger

@underdog -

Any chance we can get a picture of an Alpha stem alongside a regular stem (thick ones are ok)?

I'm a little confused about sizes. One poster said it holds "10x" what the regular glass stems do, so I have an image now stuck in my head of this enormous stem that could not possibly be at all practical LOL!

I'd been thinking that Alpha dogs were actually bigger than regular dogs, but from what I can tell (no side by side pics that I could find) it appears they're about the same size. I guess just the heater cores are different?

arb

Semi shaved ape
@underdog -

Any chance we can get a picture of an Alpha stem alongside a regular stem (thick ones are ok)?

I'm a little confused about sizes. One poster said it holds "10x" what the regular glass stems do, so I have an image now stuck in my head of this enormous stem that could not possibly be at all practical LOL!

I'd been thinking that Alpha dogs were actually bigger than regular dogs, but from what I can tell (no side by side pics that I could find) it appears they're about the same size. I guess just the heater cores are different?
IMG-20201027-214837.jpg
Regular Nong on the left Alpha Nong center 18 to 18 on the right.

CurryLeafTreehugger

Regular Nong on the left Alpha Nong center 18 to 18 on the right.

I actually meant to ask for the glass stems but that ought to be fine. Basically these are the stems that fit INSIDE the heater core, right? So the heater core for the alpha dog must be ginormous, which means the glass stems (that fit over the heater core) for the alpha dog must also be ginormous, perhaps nearly as ginormous as they loom in my imagination.

Do we know what size the heater cores are, to compare relative sizes?

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: arb
Top Bottom