Underdog Log Vapes

sparrowman

What's the difference between the cores e.g. SC3 vs alpha? What would you recommend for someone coming from joints? I generally put .3-.4 in mine and then light to let them go out, coming back to them over the course of an evening.

Also is it possible to attach a whip?

Last edited:

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Hey Dogs, hope you're all doing well out there. We're getting tons of questions about vape core options (thanks for that @arb) so I thought I'd update the thread with some basics about the current options. Prices include the vape, full kit (adjustable power supply, 3 stems, etc) and Priority shipping in the USA. International shipping is available to select countries (see website or contact us) for an additional fee.

The SC3 (Standard Core Mk3) is our standard production core and is compatible with stems from our early Standard Cores (Classic, SC1 and SC3). Performance has increased with each generation and this is an excellent option for microdosing with the Nylon Direct Draw, SS Lite and NonGs as well as larger hits with the Glass Direct Draw and GonG stems. If you can allow the vape 10-30 seconds to recover heat between hits this core should have all the power most users need. This core has the most flexibility in wood species and design shapes and is also our lowest price offering with a base price of $255. The price increases with exotic or rare woods and/or particularly complex designs. This is the Underdog we recommend for most users and/or new members of the pack.

The Alpha is a larger core that was originally based on the SC2 and upsized to a larger diameter and higher mass. This design was updated during the early days of our recovery from the Camp Fire (link) with improvements from the SC3. That improved design was then modified based on feedback from our beta testers and the early adopter community into the current not-quite-production version. This latest/modified version has an airpath that's twice the length of previous versions and offers significant increases in performance as a result and doesn't have need of recovery time between hits (for most users). The Alpha uses completely different stems than the Standard Core series of vapes and they are not cross-core compatible. Base price for an off-the-shelf Alpha (when available) is $350. Custom Alphas will run between $400-$500 based on rarity of the wood and complexity of the design.. because of the increased size of the core wood and design options are limited compared to the SC3.

The SC3+ is another not-quite-production yet offering and is an SC3 core that has been modified with the longer style airpath of the Alpha to produce a performance version of the SC3 core. This combines most of the performance of the Alpha with the stem compatibility and design flexibility of the SC3 in a price point that falls between the two. Base price of the SC3+ is $295. This is a good option for power users who want to avoid the cost or different stem ecosystem of the Alpha but want the extra performance kick.

We'll have more information on things as they slowly become standard production items but until then they'll be available as customs and sporadically on the website as off-the-shelf vapes. We weren't planning on releasing these for a while yet but there has been a big demand for info and vapes so we're trying to accelerate the process and also give you all some info to chew on.

:peace: :rockon:

What's the difference between the cores e.g. SC3 vs alpha? What would you recommend for someone coming from joints? I generally put .3-.4 in mine and then light to let them go out, coming back to them over the course of an evening.

The log stems don’t hold as much as a Typical whip, so it wouldn’t be worth it, but if you just wanted a longer vapor path you could use with glass or put a whip hose on a stem, but it would be very awkward.

edit-using with glass is NOT awkward. I do it every single day.

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

I've seen setups that do that but I don't see any advantage to it.

Alpha dogs are big dogs. They use big stems. They are powerful heaters. From the UD website:

Alpha-Dog

The Alpha-Dog is our latest invention, using an oversized SC2-style core with stainless steel heater cartridge, and its own oversized stems. This beast is our most powerful model to date, with more efficient heat transfer and the biggest bowl size of any log vape on the market! All this, while still running on a 12v 1amp power supply!
Alpha-Dogs are made in batches, depending on customer interest.

Comparison of the models from the website:

Standard Core Mk1 (SC1)

Our Standard Core (in process of being replaced by our SC2, see above) is our classic design, and is a variation of our original core. Our Standard Cores currently use an upgraded stainless steel heater cartridge. Older log style vapes used a ceramic resistor. The Standard Core has more mass (more metal) than the Air Core, and so retains heat just a little better, but may take a minute or two longer to heat up. (Overall heat times of either style is 5-10 minutes, or less with a VVPS). Jump to the Standard Core description in our YouTube video.

Standard Core Mk2 (SC2)

The SC2 is the latest evolution of our Standard Core. It combines all the best features of our previous cores, without any of the downsides. A core o-ring is not needed for use with glass stems, but can be added if you like, and will not interfere with any stems. All our stems are compatible with this core.

There's nothing on the site about an SC-3 core, maybe that's under development? Or is that actually the core they use for the Alpha dogs? Actually no, the description says it uses an SC2 STYLE core. So not sure what that is, but there if its a thing there MUST be posts about it somewhere on this thread.

I like the Alpha dogs in theory, but I only use glass stems. I don't think you can use the glass stems with the Alpha dog. Could be wrong about that.

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: arb

arb

Semi shaved ape

Alpha dogs are big dogs. They use big stems. They are powerful heaters. From the UD website:

There's nothing on the site about an SC-3 core, maybe that's under development? Or is that actually the core they use for the Alpha dogs? Actually no, the description says it uses an SC2 STYLE core. So not sure what that is, but there if its a thing there MUST be posts about it somewhere on this thread.

I like the Alpha dogs in theory, but I only use glass stems. I don't think you can use the glass stems with the Alpha dog. Could be wrong about that.
You can use both a direct draw and gong\water adapter in glass.

arb,

CurryLeafTreehugger

You can use both a direct draw and gong\water adapter in glass.
Really? Does the straw fit INSIDE the heater core then? Will the thick direct draw stem work also? I'm not sure of the ID/OD between the regular strems (that they don't carry any more) and the thick ones (that I don't use).

I'm having to make my own regular glass stems now since they've decided not to carry the regular stems any more. I've decided I'm going to put a silicone sleeve on them and see if that reduces breakage. Maybe they'll bounce instead of breaking when I drop them in future, LOL! Though honestly, as often as I've dropped them on hard tile floors installed directly on slab (the hardest of hard floors, unless someone has a titanium floor installed somewhere) I did NOT find them particularly breakable. I mean it took me 6 years to break them all, and I had at least 6 glass stems. So I guess I broke about one a year LOL!

Another advantage to a silicone sleeve is that it would give me something to grab hold of so I'd be less likely to drop it LOL!

I'm already planning to try to make a two part "stem" so I can just drop a screen in flat (see above) so that's a sleeve on the far end, and then if I put another short sleeve on the long end, I will still be able to see what's going on INSIDE the stem but it might protect the stem from both droppage and breakage.

Since I can't use my wetsaw until the spring (has to be used outside because there is no water circulation on it) I'm still trying to buy some stems elsewhere. Plus who knows, I might not do well trying to cut them.

CurryLeafTreehugger,
Reactions: arb

vaporculture

I think the description on the website is a bit dated... the OG Alpha units were SC2 style cores if I remember correctly. These new, updated Alpha units use the same design as the SC3+ core on the regular sized dogs, which effectively increases the length of the airpath past the heater so the air drawn past your herbs picks up more heat and more fully extracts with a long slow draw, or back to back draws.

Thanks for the replies on the different heater types. Are the SC3+ and the alpha heater essentially the same then? Just with different bowl sizes?
Yes, the SC3+ and the Alpha heaters are basically the same design, but extract differently because of the greater surface area the Alpha has, due to the larger bowl size.

CurryLeafTreehugger

I think the description on the website is a bit dated... the OG Alpha units were SC2 style cores if I remember correctly. These new, updated Alpha units use the same design as the SC3+ core on the regular sized dogs, which effectively increases the length of the airpath past the heater so the air drawn past your herbs picks up more heat and more fully extracts with a long slow draw, or back to back draws.

Yes, the SC3+ and the Alpha heaters are basically the same design, but extract differently because of the greater surface area the Alpha has, due to the larger bowl size.

THERE we go, thank you! I had noticed that all the dogs on the site currently say they have SC3 heater cores but there's no description of the SC3 on the website yet. Or the SC3+.

Is the heater core on the Alpha big enough that a glass stem might fit INSIDE, like the stainless steel stems?

The way I use my dog is - well, USED to be, until I broke all my glass stems - to load up 4 or 5 stems with single hit loads and work my way through them.

As attrition worked its merry way through my stem collection, I gradually began trying to put larger loads in fewer stems. This did not work well. Now that I am down to ONE (albeit super-long) "stem" (having pressed a boba tea straw into service, I did check, it is pyrex, and there is actually a second one somewhere, I have no idea where I put it, it was too long to store in the sewing box that has all my other vaping bits and pieces), a session goes

1. Load
  2. Vape
  3. scrape out ABV into UD provided muslin bag
  4. Heat residue
  5. Blow it out into a TIGHTLY WOVEN muslin bag (not from UD)
  6. Wait for glass stem to cool a bit
  7. Repeat
As opposed to

1. Load 4 straws
  2. Vape
  3. Chill
  4. Vape
  5. Chill
  6. Vape
  7. Probably fall asleep by this point, if not, Chill
  8. If not already asleep, vape
  9. Sleep
So it would be REALLY USEFUL to me if I could find glass straws to fit an Alpha dog. I can get bigger one hit loads and maybe only need ONE reload!

GraniteState420

THERE we go, thank you! I had noticed that all the dogs on the site currently say they have SC3 heater cores but there's no description of the SC3 on the website yet. Or the SC3+.

Is the heater core on the Alpha big enough that a glass stem might fit INSIDE, like the stainless steel stems?

The way I use my dog is - well, USED to be, until I broke all my glass stems - to load up 4 or 5 stems with single hit loads and work my way through them.

As attrition worked its merry way through my stem collection, I gradually began trying to put larger loads in fewer stems. This did not work well. Now that I am down to ONE (albeit super-long) "stem" (having pressed a boba tea straw into service, I did check, it is pyrex, and there is actually a second one somewhere, I have no idea where I put it, it was too long to store in the sewing box that has all my other vaping bits and pieces), a session goes

1. Load
  2. Vape
  4. Heat residue
  7. Repeat
As opposed to

1. Load 4 straws
  2. Vape
  3. Chill
  4. Vape
  5. Chill
  6. Vape
  9. Sleep
So it would be REALLY USEFUL to me if I could find glass straws to fit an Alpha dog. I can get bigger one hit loads and maybe only need ONE reload!
The Alpha uses glass stems as well, larger than the normal UD stems of course. As with your UD, glass stems fit over the heater in the alpha as well

arb

Semi shaved ape

1. Load
  2. Vape
  4. Heat residue
  7. Repeat
As opposed to

1. Load 4 straws
  2. Vape
  3. Chill
  4. Vape
  5. Chill
  6. Vape
  9. Sleep
The glass direct draw stem is ridiculously large.Takes "wide open draw" to a new level.
Considering the load size is easily 10x the normal.......prolly not gonna need so many.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Alpha shelved the "e43".......... decisively so.
Udderly destroyed it actually and is still the one I love most.
😁
I see you're out of stock on site @underdog I hope you have some exciting new models coming soon.
Any progress on the grapefruit twig?
Finally any 14mm adapter options for the Alpha?

Ripstar

Sorry for the dumb question, but can/should these be used outside? I've got a balcony (with access to a power outlet) and wanted to sit out there, but not sure if the log will work correctly if it's cold etc
I have kept in a cold garage but it was still 55 degrees. Not sure how cold it gets where you are at but anything below that would probably hinder heat up.

vaporculture

Sorry for the dumb question, but can/should these be used outside? I've got a balcony (with access to a power outlet) and wanted to sit out there, but not sure if the log will work correctly if it's cold etc
This is where a VVPS can really help dial in your log depending on conditions. When you are using it in colder than normal temperatures, you will probably find that an extra .5 volts of output (or less, depends on the dog) might make up the difference in performance and give you much the same experience as normal operating voltage/temperature.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Heya Dogs we're working on new pieces but won't be able to finish them until our wayward parts come in (supposedly this week).. just a heads up for those of you looking at the website and wearing out your refresh buttons. Once the parts do arrive we'll get them put up post-haste and it should be a decent size refresh with 20+ vapes including a number of Alphas, SC3+. There will also be some Specials (aka, Vape Special) and Artsy SC3 units. :cheers:

Yes definitely. As long as it's not out in the rain (or whatever) and you have access to an outlet you should be good. If it's cold you'll probably need to bump the voltage somewhere in the .2v to .5v range to compensate but other than that no problem. It can also help if you set the vape on something that can insulate it from what it's sitting on a bit (assuming said surface is cold) like a piece of corrugated cardboard or a washcloth.

This is where a VVPS can really help dial in your log depending on conditions. When you are using it in colder than normal temperatures, you will probably find that an extra .5 volts of output (or less, depends on the dog) might make up the difference in performance and give you much the same experience as normal operating voltage/temperature.

Exactly! :cool::rockon:

Ripstar

Heya Dogs we're working on new pieces but won't be able to finish them until our wayward parts come in (supposedly this week).. just a heads up for those of you looking at the website and wearing out your refresh buttons. Once the parts do arrive we'll get them put up post-haste and it should be a decent size refresh with 20+ vapes including a number of Alphas, SC3+. There will also be some Specials (aka, Vape Special) and Artsy SC3 units. :cheers:

Yes definitely. As long as it's not out in the rain (or whatever) and you have access to an outlet you should be good. If it's cold you'll probably need to bump the voltage somewhere in the .2v to .5v range to compensate but other than that no problem. It can also help if you set the vape on something that can insulate it from what it's sitting on a bit (assuming said surface is cold) like a piece of corrugated cardboard or a washcloth.

Exactly! :cool::rockon:
Heck yeah! Can't wait to see the new stuff! Alpha is on the radar.🤘

Top Bottom