• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

Nuttmare

Not used 24/7 or put at a reduced power level when not in 'use' will stretch that lifespan out indefinitely. :2c:

I'm sure at some point the people that make light-bulbs faced the same dilemma. So now we have light-bulbs that that could last 100 years last 1.

On that same note I'm look'in at a mini for my travels and wonderd about how less mass effects it. I image it would heat fast but the heat retention for follow up hits concerns me. I mean is it a strictly solo devise?

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Hey yall,

I gots questions .

Since the nylons use the SS tip are nylons the same as a SS tip?

and finally has anyone tried to plasti-dip (spray) logs ....just the outside?

Not totally sure what you mean about the SS tip / Nylon stuff.. do you mean do the Nylon stems use the same SS tip that we sell separately? If so then yes. If not then go ahead and let me know where I made the wrong turn.

Re: plasti-dip - I haven't tried it and I don't know anyone else who has either but I do have a friend who has covered just about everything else he owns in the stuff. I don't see why you couldn't do it though, I imagine it would stick to the wood just fine (assuming the wood wasn't oily/waxy) and is good to about 200 degrees which should be more than enough for the exterior of a Dog. Maybe I'll give him a shop vape and have him spray it to see how it comes out.

I'm sure at some point the people that make light-bulbs faced the same dilemma. So now we have light-bulbs that that could last 100 years last 1.

On that same note I'm look'in at a mini for my travels and wonderd about how less mass effects it. I image it would heat fast but the heat retention for follow up hits concerns me. I mean is it a strictly solo devise?

The Minis do retain less heat than other Dogs due to the significantly reduced mass and they don't recover quite as fast either since they are running on a lower powered resistor instead of the higher performance SS cartridge our normal Dogs use. Recovery time for most users would probably be 60 seconds between hits or so if I had to guess. A full power Twig sized Dog or a Micro Mk2 (with SS cartridge) would probably be preferable for a travel Dog if you wanted better performance or a Dog more friendly to being used by multiple people.. the heat retention and/or recovery times would be quite a bit better.

Nuttmare

i'm also confused about plastidip on your log. i can't figure out why lo

The clear plasti-dip I was thinkin would preserve the wood from scratches etc. I have the Dog on page 545 right between the cocobolo lost dog and the two-tone hickory. My baby has a deep holographic tone to it..fell in love at first sight lol.

I,m burnin thru the underbutter.

Re: plasti-dip - I haven't tried it and I don't know anyone else who has either but I do have a friend who has covered just about everything else he owns in the stuff. I don't see why you couldn't do it though, I imagine it would stick to the wood just fine (assuming the wood wasn't oily/waxy) and is good to about 200 degrees which should be more than enough for the exterior of a Dog. Maybe I'll give him a shop vape and have him spray it to see how it comes out.

I advise you to ignore the plasti-dip reference.

The stuff is evil and has hurt my wallet.

MMmm....plasti-dip

EDIT BTW i've plasti-dipped exhaust pipes etc so heat is not a problem. hehe im sure your buddy has gone over the merits.

Last edited by a moderator:

underdog

Manufacturer
The clear plasti-dip I was thinkin would preserve the wood from scratches etc. I have the Dog on page 545 right between the cocobolo lost dog and the two-tone hickory. My baby has a deep holographic tone to it..fell in love at first sight lol.

I,m burnin thru the underbutter.

Ah, gotcha.. that makes sense (the dip use), thanks. That figured walnut is really nice and definitely has a ton of chatoyance (holographic look) to it!

As far as preserving/protecting the wood from scratches.. the 'dip might work but I think a better (though slightly more labor intensive) solution would be to clean all the wax off, then put 4-5 coats of poly on it (wipe on instead of spray would be best IMO) and buff it. That'd give a really nice, shiny, durable coat that would protect the wood. :2c:

Nuttmare

Actually I was meaning to ask if i could polish my walnut even higher. I mean it almost looks like marble as is I just wanna put that last coat on to make it look like glass.

I mean it really looks like marble that's why I ditched my plans for a reg holiday vape and HAD to have mr.marble.

OHHHH Polyurethane..I dont think Mr.Marble would like that. I'll just stick to the butter ty for your time.

formicae

The clear plasti-dip I was thinkin would preserve the wood from scratches etc.

I get where you're coming from, but counterpoint: every dog is 100% unique, even the ones Dave puts out 'batches' of like birthday/holiday vapes. It's impossible for two of them to be the same. With this in mind, the moment you claim one and integrate it into your life, it's Your Underdog. Once you have it in your possession, everything that happens to it is between you and it, from a fingerprint to a dent.

I used to be a watch collector, and bought watches I would hardly ever wear, because I thought their rarity and perfection were in constant peril from exposure to risk. I stopped being a watch collector when I realised that on any given day, I would choose to wear watches that had scuffs, scratches, or blemishes that were a direct result of my wearing them. Those ones were the most 'mine.' There's a Japanese aesthetic, wabi-sabi, that lines up with this, not in the sense of personal wear, but in the sense that everything is impermanent and imperfect, and that an acceptance of this truth leads to an alternative understanding of beauty.

I gave my girlfriend an Underdog for Christmas, and we both spent time handling it thinking, 'what a nice thing, so smooth and perfect.' She took it to a friend's place where the house rules dictated garage use, and dropped it. Onto a concrete floor in an unheated garage at sub-zero temperatures. When she told me about it, I had a brief flicker of pain at the thought that the gift I had given her had suffered damage. But the next time I handled it and she pointed out the dent near the top, it felt fine, like it belonged there. It's hers, it still works just like it did, only now it's got a dent in its crown.

Last edited:

Nuttmare

NO!

Must protect Mr.Marble

In all seriousness I am looking at a mini for travel and leaning toward a larger one.....just wanted to know if there was like a bell curve to mass to power ect.

P.S. I ordered that wort that you linked formicae and will put it thru some torture tests with a few toys I have sitting around. If it holds up I think ittl be a idiot-proof box.

Mod note: posts merged

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
I was upset about dinging my dog as I also like to keep things immaculate for the most part, so I understand the clear coat. For some reason my brain was stuck on colored.

Anyway,def update if you try. I used to butter mine really often too but in letting it dry and sit out (typically have it running between 5-6.5 for aromatherapy) brought out some nice tones in the grain.

@formicae I like the hybrid pear shorty that's still up there from holidays. There's an olive one too I like. The real prize is one of the Banksia Pod ones though. I have my eye on it and really wanna pull the trigger. we'll see if I can make it thru the day, though I really shouldn't give in... :drool:

edit: I think I gave in

Last edited:

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I finally paid for my incoming highly figured walnut air core from the holiday specials!

The customer support here really is awesome. They held one of the specials for me like it was no big deal at all.

The funny thing is I don't know exactly what it looks like yet, but I'll share photos as soon as I do.

underdog

Manufacturer
I finally paid for my incoming highly figured walnut air core from the holiday specials!

The customer support here really is awesome. They held one of the specials for me like it was no big deal at all.

The funny thing is I don't know exactly what it looks like yet, but I'll share photos as soon as I do.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing what you think about it. If memory serves it's a pretty one! :tup:

hza88

How much jumping around is normal with the led dimmer? It'll drop to 11.5-7 then go back to 12.2-3 (I combusted when I went any higher than that)

edit- Tried it plugged into the wall instead of on a power strip and that seemed to help some.

Last edited:
hza88,
Reactions: underdog

underdog

Manufacturer
How much jumping around is normal with the led dimmer? It'll drop to 11.5-7 then go back to 12.2-3 (I combusted when I went any higher than that)

edit- Tried it plugged into the wall instead of on a power strip and that seemed to help some.

It's totally variable as you discovered by going straight to the wall, basically anything that makes high frequency noise on the circuit will cause more jumping around of the number (but not the output, just the displayed number). In my experience it's best to use the lowest average number as the 'true' one.. in your case the 11.5-11.7 one.. the jumping to higher numbers is usually the interference (noise) previously mentioned. :peace::science:

Last edited:

hillbill

I love the warmth of oiled and/or waxed wood in furnishings, gunstocks, pipes etc. The finish gets better each time it's touched! Polyurethane for ultimate protection but the oils and waxes bring out the life force and character of the wood that plastics can't.

hillbill

Not much thc to reclaim from my dog. These thing stay quite clean especially using for a one or two hitter. Heavy hitter like that with the herb just tight enough to stay in the stem. Boom Boom!!

hillbill,
Reactions: Prolusio

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Reclaim on what? Stems?

Glass stems you can make stem milk I guess. I clean them before they get enough build-up to make it worth it because it affects flavor.

NonGs just need a quick iso rinse. Wood stems can be scraped but I still don't have any reclaim on mine so that's saying something...

The dog itself likely won't have any reclaim anywhere unless you've done something amazing.

shredder

How do you do a THC reclaim on an underdog? Any tips are appreciated.

I've dedicated my tong exclusively to concentrate use. I wrap concentrates with hemp fiber from underdog. When the tong gets gooey from use, I use a pick to get some reclaim, and then push through hemp fiber through the stem, to get more. I do an iso (99% rubbing alcohol) wash for a final clean up.

I used to use reclaim from stems, but it sometimes doesn't taste great. So now I keep a jar of iso to clean stems with, including screens. And when the iso gets dark with reclaim, I evaporate the iso, and use the reclaim mixed with coconut oil and beeswax in muscle rubs.

I do basically the same with abv, and use it the same way.

I use iso but if ethanol (190 ever clear) was available for me I'd use that.

Best of luck

hza88

It's amazing the difference just .1-.2v makes with the dimmer+15v PS, makes the temp just right and I don't need to slow down my draw to avoid cooling the core too much. Bigger clouds and that sedation I used to only get with my vapcap. What voltage are you guys using as a "standby"? I only ask cause I've been using it too much to bother to test lol.

Top Bottom