Underdog Log Vapes

RollTheCar

It's amazing the difference just .1-.2v makes with the dimmer+15v PS, makes the temp just right and I don't need to slow down my draw to avoid cooling the core too much. Bigger clouds and that sedation I used to only get with my vapcap. What voltage are you guys using as a "standby"? I only ask cause I've been using it too much to bother to test lol.
I keep mine around 4v on standby and for aromatherapy purposes

formicae

What voltage are you guys using as a "standby"? I only ask cause I've been using it too much to bother to test lol.

Just a bit shy of half my 'on' voltage, 6V. Seems pretty low-stress on the core and the wood, and it heats up real quick when I turn it to 12.2V for the evening.

So as I'm understanding, a dimmer is pretty much the best idea if you want to control the voltage and heat? I'd like to avoid combustion at all costs, but I'd also like a consistent temp. And being able to run it in standby would be cool too. How does it work and--without one--do I always run the risk of the Dog heating to combustion?

I don't understand how voltage works at all, so this is all a little confusing for me :o

Thanks!

Last edited:

NizzyJones

So as I'm understanding, a dimmer is pretty much the best idea if you want to control the voltage and heat? I'd like to avoid combustion at all costs, but I'd also like a consistent temp. And being able to run it in standby would be cool too. How does it work and--without one--do I always run the risk of the Dog heating to combustion?

No, running without a dimmer in line you still shouldn't have to worry about combustion. My air core runs a bit hotter and I have had some scorching once or twice with oversized, very tightly packed loads but that's easy enough to fix by not over-packing. The design of log vapes results in very consistent heating once they reach equilibrium (have warmed up).

Without getting overly technical the dimmers work by regulating the voltage that reaches the heating core. Standard operating temp is achieved at 12V, which is what the stock power supply delivers. I get lower temp hits at 10V-11.5V (though I generally don't bother to tweak it and just run it at 12V) and turn down to around 6V for standby/use with the aromatherapy cup.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Heya Dogs, hope you're all having a good week.. work, work, work around here as usual.

So a while back someone had asked us 'do you every put a ridiculous amount of lines on a Dog?'. The answer to that is yes. I put just about as many as would fit on this one.. so many it actually kind of hurts the brain to look at in person lol.

Hard Maple with lines for days
2mmpo1.jpg

Just a bit shy of half my 'on' voltage, 6V. Seems pretty low-stress on the core and the wood, and it heats up real quick when I turn it to 12.2V for the evening.

I like to keep mine somewhat randomly between 6v and 8v and yeah it makes an already short heat up time that much shorter plus saves wear and tear on the wood which is a double win.

I don't understand how voltage works at all, so this is all a little confusing for me :o

Thanks!

If you want to control the voltage (ie, heat) then a dimmer is the least expensive way to go about it though a VVPS will give you finer control.. most people find they don't need/want that fine control but some do.

If you want to avoid combustion at all costs then you'll most likely want a dimmer unless you have us make you a cool running Dog that just doesn't get that hot so as not to risk it. The SS tipped stems run hotter than the larger glass based ones (incl GonGs) so it can be difficult to find a single temp that works well for both types, the dimmer/VVPS is very helpful in regard to this.

Thanks @underdog and @underdogette for indulging me and my little request. PDog. My first log vape, a myrtle Purple Days, with a nice new UD core. Love it! Thanks to @mephisto for the glass. Used a silly YouTube filter and music. Switch it up a bit. Enjoy!

Awesome! Glad you're enjoying it and it looks to be making some nice clouds!

No, running without a dimmer in line you still shouldn't have to worry about combustion. My air core runs a bit hotter and I have had some scorching once or twice with oversized, very tightly packed loads but that's easy enough to fix by not over-packing. The design of log vapes results in very consistent heating once they reach equilibrium (have warmed up).

Without getting overly technical the dimmers work by regulating the voltage that reaches the heating core. Standard operating temp is achieved at 12V, which is what the stock power supply delivers. I get lower temp hits at 10V-11.5V (though I generally don't bother to tweak it and just run it at 12V) and turn down to around 6V for standby/use with the aromatherapy cup.

Yeah most of the cooler to medium running cartridges will work like that but medium to hotter running ones will definitely combust with voltages over 10-11v. It used to be random on which cartridges ended up in which pieces but since we started binning them (6 months to a year ago?) we have control over that now so can put in whatever the custom requests. :2c: :tup:

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
Just ordered a few thing for my UD from Underdog. The 6 foot Tattoo Style Cord for VVPS and 2 copper cups. Have a TPN-023 that powers on and some wax and lemongrass oil for aromatherapy. If it all goes well, I should have a portable desktop vape. Then a portable power option. Then hello springtime. :D

RollTheCar

I'm about to go to a headshop to look at some glass tools! Any design/model suggestions to go with my bubinga pup? :)
  • Under 14 inches - You won't want a ton of glass surface area. It's just more places for THC to condense to.
  • No Recycler - draw resistance from vapes typically prevent recyclers from activating, it also over diffuses and strips out flavor.
  • Matrix or Showerhead percolators (or any percolator that creates large bubbles) - The larger the better when it comes to vapes. Small bubbles are to separate tar from the THC. We aren't combusting so this is a non-issue.
  • 1 or 2 percolators - More than 2 will over diffuse your vapor removing some flavor.
  • Low Drag - Vaporizers typically add drag so you want to make sure you start as low as possible
  • Wide or Study Base - Vaporizers are heavier than nails or bowls. Your piece and especially the joint need to withstand the weight of your vaporizer.

• Under 14 inches - You won't want a ton of glass surface area. It's just more places for THC to condense to.
  • No Recycler - draw resistance from vapes typically prevent recyclers from activating, it also over diffuses and strips out flavor.
  • Matrix or Showerhead percolators (or any percolator that creates large bubbles) - The larger the better when it comes to vapes. Small bubbles are to separate tar from the THC. We aren't combusting so this is a non-issue.
  • 1 or 2 percolators - More than 2 will over diffuse your vapor removing some flavor.
  • Low Drag - Vaporizers typically add drag so you want to make sure you start as low as possible
  • Wide or Study Base - Vaporizers are heavier than nails or bowls. Your piece and especially the joint need to withstand the weight of your vaporizer.

Great info, thanks! What is drag?

CuckFumbustion

Nice way of breaking it down. Keeping the glass squeaky clean means less particles stick to the glass and the whole thing of more particles sticking to even more particles.
Drag? Air moving over the surface enough for resistance. Tight corners, odd angles and narrow pathways are places where more drag occurs. Some water tools help with drag resistance.
Like the Matrix or showerhead percs @RollTheCar was mentioning.

Three headshops later and I decided on this guy :) There's only a turbine in there; no percolators. It's a local artist and I always like supporting them! And the best part is: it's basically a mini version of my girlfriend's much larger KZOO piece, so we get to match! I was a little concerned about the narrow tube down the side (because drag and surface area), but I think it should be okay, right? It's very sturdy and I'm impressed with the build quality. What do you guys think?

iK7EPah.jpg

RollTheCar

Three headshops later and I decided on this guy :) There's only a turbine in there; no percolators. It's a local artist and I always like supporting them! And the best part is: it's basically a mini version of my girlfriend's much larger KZOO piece, so we get to match! I was a little concerned about the narrow tube down the side (because drag and surface area), but I think it should be okay, right? It's very sturdy and I'm impressed with the build quality. What do you guys think?

iK7EPah.jpg
Looks good to me man, enjoy!

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Yeah, sweet piece. You will be set. Have fun!

Enjoying my dog tonight. I usually sip at lower voltages to preserve taste for longer etc, but tonight I cranked it up and been roasting in one hit with the glass DD stem :) Never neglect your doggy

underdogette

one in a billion
Company Rep

This is a really nice and concise helpful post. I'm going to have to bookmark this. Thanks @RollTheCar :)

formicae

Enjoying my dog tonight.

Me too. I got home about an hour ago, put my dog into Drive, poured myself a rye & coke and filled my just-cleaned Matrix sidecar. Couple of NonG stems of Romulan because I'm still up for a bit, but mellow, will follow up with a stem or two of Purple God when it's time to KO. One of those nights where I really appreciate the 'analog' vibe of the Underdog, it feels way more suited to my leather-sofa, cut-crystal-tumbler evening than something with buttons or a screen would.

In other news, this morning I was gonna send an email asking to have that goncalo piece put aside for a couple of weeks, only to find out someone snatched it first! The nerve!

Lookatmeglow

I seem to have a bad case of VAS
I have to share my experience so far. I reached out to @underdog a few days ago after seeing the super striped dog and have been emailing @underdogette since. All of my questions were answered and more. I was already planning on getting a custom piece, but I think my VAS flared up and I decided to get the underdog a bit sooner, hopefully sooner, than I was originally expecting. I could not be happier with what I picked out.

I am waiting to hear back once more with the total cost and will be able to join the pack shortly. Thank you for everything so far and making this as smooth a purchase as could be. I waited much to long, and now the wait will be even harder but so worth it.

shredder

Thanks!

I use a variable voltage power supply. One that is linked on underdog s vvps page.

You can really fine tune your experience with a vvps. I change settings for a variety of reasons. Ussualy due to the moisture level of the herb, ambient temps and so on.

I definitely recommend a vvps. Especially if your a closet geek, like me, lol.

And I havnt had any accidental combustion in over two years using dog logs.

CuckFumbustion

Anyone watching the Superbowl today? :worms:

...cause I'm thinking about doing a flash-sale based on it today if enough people are watching. :evil:
Dang, I just resupplied from you already. :haw: Going to try my tattoo transformer with the UD and replace my missing aroma cup with 2 more.

You can get things like beeswax, hemp fiber, extra screens and a J-Hook, 14mm. To round up your total to a round figure.

Top Bottom