• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Underdog Log Vapes

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I have some scraps in the shop and could probably turn you a base in a pretty short amount of time just as a fun break from my normal work. If you want one measure the base diameter and I'll make you one. :tup:

I love the vape station I had made up for my dog. If you do end up making a cradle putting a stem holder at each corner would surely complete it & add to the stability.

rogrog

I can't suggest much in the way of glass since the D020-D is our usual recommendation but I might be able to help in regards to the NonG stem... I think @underdogette has a few Oversize NonGs (18mm) left. Those are NonGs but with a larger stainless steel bowl (same size as would be found on the GonG stems). That'd get you taken care of for the lowest price I'd think. :2c:

an oversized ti or stainless stem would be excellent! I have the 18mm ti tapered joint stem and it's awesome & a matching fat bowl version would be perfect. any chance of that happening?

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
an oversized ti or stainless stem would be excellent! I have the 18mm ti tapered joint stem and it's awesome & a matching fat bowl version would be perfect. any chance of that happening?

That's not something that's currently on the drawing board but who knows what the future will bring.. we're always on the lookout for new stuff for you Dogs. :tup:

formicae

Quiet week in here, where is everyone? :hmm:

Today I got some LED voltage screen cables in the mail and they're brilliant. I've been using them to figure out my various power supplies' default output voltages (marking them on the body with a silver Sharpie), as well as to measure the drop incurred by my dimmers and extension cables. For instance, my extensions drop the voltage by 0.3-0.4V, which actually makes a visible difference in vapour output with my walnut air core. Now I can bump up accordingly and get the same great output even with the extension plugged in. Even if the display isn't lab-accurate (for all I know it is, I can't find my multimeter), it's consistent, so relative results are still meaningful. Great little tool/toy.

Prolusio

Got my UD in the mail this week! Super fast delivery, very pleased with the quick work the Underdog team put into getting this out for me. I haven't had a ton of time to use it as I've been working out and about but I'm very pleased with how my Chinese Pistache Lost Dog looks, love the tones in the wood. I really enjoy how stable the heat is from my Dog; a lot of other vapes you need to put the heat up as your draw will cause it to cool, my UD seems to be very good at retaining its heat which allows me to cook bowls evenly on a constant temp.

I'll be sure to contribute more thorough feedback once I have a chance to put it through it's paces but for now here's some Pics!

nQjn9P4.jpg

CYNodEf.jpg

I love how the tone of the wood changes all the way around, the shape and overall finish is excellent. It's sanded perfectly as well which is always important with wooden devices.

Here's a pic of the crack which made it a damaged Lost Dog. I feel it's more a battle scar; adding to the dignity of this beautiful and unique piece of art/medication rather than marring it's natural regalty.

2on2qVe.jpg

il8cJ1D.jpg

From a distance you can't even see the crack is there; couldn't be happier with how my Dog looks! Thanks again @underdog! I look forward to better getting to know my Dog's vaping signature in the weeks to come.

Nuttmare

Hey everyone I have a question. Is it ok to dim a dimmer? Like can i use a dimmer to limit the volts of the dimmer next in line? See i run a 15v wort and figured id just set my LCD dimmer to 13.5v max by dimming it hehe. Then maybe tape the knob on the reg dimmer so it cant turn.

.......................(13.5v)........(5-13.5vmax)
15v wort----> dimmer----> LCD dimmer----> 5ft ext cord----> DOG----> :brow:

I usually never go over 12.5.

CuckFumbustion

Lo and Behold! The transformative power of Vapor.
I broke my Trond desk lamp. :mad: But remembered that the power supply resembled my EQ with the green indicator light. :hmm: Might be a decent transformer in there that stores power in some manner. Well it seemed to heat up quicker.:)

Got my Tattoo power supply. Will get around to getting /modding a wire. There is a 6ft cord that Underdog sells. (as well as the scientific version.:science:)

I do have a mono plug RCA female that fits. And saw a pic of someone opening a plug like mine and attaching 2 wires to a cord with a 2.1mm connector. Just cant get it apart. Will an RCA cord carry the juice to say an 2.1m connector?

formicae

Hey everyone I have a question. Is it ok to dim a dimmer?

The results are going to be unreliable since they're pulse-width modulation dimmers. They're not actually controlling voltage, they're pulsing on-off cycles. So your first dimmer will be at a given on-off rhythm to put out '13.5v,' but at any given setting, your dimmer further down the line will be pulsing off beat. Output will be a crazy mix of on-on, on-off, off-on, and off-off. You might manage to find settings that produce a decent vape, but you'd be feeding your dog the electrical equivalent of radio noise.

CuckFumbustion

What kinds of woods were/are used for traditional pipes that might be the equivalent in the UD woods that are used? Yes, I'm thinking about taste here. :drool: I do think drawing cold air across any wood would not be any sort of worry and part of the flavor profile and fun of using a Log vape. If you liked making designing wooden pipes when you combusted. Well that might be a plus with owning a log vape. Did I say wood would? 'Wood would', Sorry poor grammar. :haw:
MagrittePipe.jpg

I love the vape station I had made up for my dog. If you do end up making a cradle putting a stem holder at each corner would surely complete it & add to the stability.
Cool, my mind was on bases too. Found a base for my EVO. It's a base to a portable Coleman stove. Heavy duty and the right size and angle to have good safe space around it and keep it from tipping if I did bump into it like a clod. Might make a good template for someones's project?

With Log Vapes there are so many shapes and sizes to find a dimension for. I lucked out as far as size dimension and shape and I.D. for my UD, so no stand needed. And a color shape patina that suit's me.:luv: Just get a little more 12.3v when I'm taking a draw then back to 12v. is what I'm thinking might be a sort of compromise between power and being gentle with the UD. Or is there something flawed with that power management plan? :hmm:

Last edited:

Nuttmare

The results are going to be unreliable since they're pulse-width modulation dimmers. They're not actually controlling voltage, they're pulsing on-off cycles. So your first dimmer will be at a given on-off rhythm to put out '13.5v,' but at any given setting, your dimmer further down the line will be pulsing off beat. Output will be a crazy mix of on-on, on-off, off-on, and off-off. You might manage to find settings that produce a decent vape, but you'd be feeding your dog the electrical equivalent of radio noise.

Ahh bummer I already ordered the 2nd dimmer lol. I'll just physically mod the LED dimmer so it cant turn past 13.5v like I originally planned and use the new dimmer as backup.

Commander Cody

:luv: Just get a little more 12.3v when I'm taking a draw then back to 12v. is what I'm thinking might be a sort of compromise between power and being gentle with the UD. Or is there something flawed with that power management plan? :hmm:

No need to dial back and forth .3 degrees. If you like the results in this temp range, just set it at 12.2 during your session. What will lengthen the lifespan of your UD is to dial it way back between sessions. Maybe to 9.0 or whatever gives you an acceptable time to get up to your sweet temp when you are ready to use again. Enjoy. Mods..sorry for double post. Please combine

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitomi

Hey everyone,

I bought my UD in October. I meant to write an update, but I got so busy using the new dog I fogot!

I got a red cedar UD, a dimmer, two nylon stems, a OS glass stem, OS steel stem, and a NonG. I love all of the various stems! Each has its own advantage. I also like that when I have friends over, we can each have a stem. The NonG fits perfectly into the little glass piece I have. It's great!

The dimmer was recommended to me because the pup runs hot. I am very, very glad I have the dimmer! Without it, the dog is so hot that it will combust a dryer product. I like that my dog runs hot, but I can use the dimmer to get it to my liking for direct draw use, NonG use, and aromatherapy use.

The aromatherapy cup is a nice update compared to the tiny copper cup with the little handle of old. I used to always burn my hand on it.

I have not needed to change the screens. I just put my stems in a bag of sea salt and alcohol. They are ready to use in minutes.

So yeah, the new UD (as compared to the old models) is amazing. The updates are the bomb. This is still my favorite vape of all time. It is so effifient; I can use a tiny flake or pinch, and the vape works like a charm. It saves so much and therefore easily pays for itself. The craftsmanship is perfect and each UD is unique. All my friends love it and want their own

rosedale

Likewise with Standard Cores, as I've been saying for a 'while' I'm going to take the SC out of production so I can make some revisions.. I'm hoping to do this after we run thru the last batch of cores I just finished welding. I'd guess that supply will last 2-3 months but that's just a guess. If you're the collecting type and want a SC you'll have about that amount of time to pick one up.

As usual once we're fully out of beta testing on the revised SC we'll be releasing some into the 'wild' with limited quantities available and (lets not get riled up on this part) availability limited to experienced users only.

What changes are in store for the standard core???

CuckFumbustion

No need to dial back and forth .3 degrees. If you like the results in this temp range, just set it at 12.2 during your session. What will lengthen the lifespan of your UD is to dial it way back between sessions. Maybe to 9.0 or whatever gives you an acceptable time to get up to your sweet temp when you are ready to use again. Enjoy. Mods..sorry for double post. Please combine
That sounds like a more reasonable power management setup. 9.0v being standby mode. Less fuss with the dials.

Starting to think more that the cord for my lamp with possibly a transformer in it, might be powering up things with the UD a little better. At least more consistent and I'm getting better results.

The aromatherapy cup is a nice update compared to the tiny copper cup with the little handle of old. I used to always burn my hand on it.
Thanks for the update. The copper cup is nice for some wax and lemongrass oil.

underdog

Manufacturer
Got my UD in the mail this week! Super fast delivery, very pleased with the quick work the Underdog team put into getting this out for me. I haven't had a ton of time to use it as I've been working out and about but I'm very pleased with how my Chinese Pistache Lost Dog looks, love the tones in the wood. I really enjoy how stable the heat is from my Dog; a lot of other vapes you need to put the heat up as your draw will cause it to cool, my UD seems to be very good at retaining its heat which allows me to cook bowls evenly on a constant temp.

I'll be sure to contribute more thorough feedback once I have a chance to put it through it's paces but for now here's some Pics!

nQjn9P4.jpg

CYNodEf.jpg

I love how the tone of the wood changes all the way around, the shape and overall finish is excellent. It's sanded perfectly as well which is always important with wooden devices.

Here's a pic of the crack which made it a damaged Lost Dog. I feel it's more a battle scar; adding to the dignity of this beautiful and unique piece of art/medication rather than marring it's natural regalty.

2on2qVe.jpg

il8cJ1D.jpg

From a distance you can't even see the crack is there; couldn't be happier with how my Dog looks! Thanks again @underdog! I look forward to better getting to know my Dog's vaping signature in the weeks to come.

Thanks man, so glad to hear you're enjoying it and that you were able and willing to give that Lost Dog a good home!

Hey everyone I have a question. Is it ok to dim a dimmer? Like can i use a dimmer to limit the volts of the dimmer next in line? See i run a 15v wort and figured id just set my LCD dimmer to 13.5v max by dimming it hehe. Then maybe tape the knob on the reg dimmer so it cant turn.

.......................(13.5v)........(5-13.5vmax)
15v wort----> dimmer----> LCD dimmer----> 5ft ext cord----> DOG----> :brow:

I usually never go over 12.5.

Yeah as indicated by @formicae you might get away with it but generally speaking it's not a good idea and I suspect you'd run into problems.

I broke my Trond desk lamp. :mad: But remembered that the power supply resembled my EQ with the green indicator light. :hmm: Might be a decent transformer in there that stores power in some manner. Well it seemed to heat up quicker.:)

Got my Tattoo power supply. Will get around to getting /modding a wire. There is a 6ft cord that Underdog sells. (as well as the scientific version.:science:)

I do have a mono plug RCA female that fits. And saw a pic of someone opening a plug like mine and attaching 2 wires to a cord with a 2.1mm connector. Just cant get it apart. Will an RCA cord carry the juice to say an 2.1m connector?

There should be a label (or stamped data) with the electrical specs somewhere on the lamp power supply that will tell you it's output, etc. If you're noticing a difference the it's probably putting out a bit more than the stock wall-warts 12.2v

Most/many RCA cables are more than capable of handling the <10 watts needed for the Dog so I don't anticipate you having problems there. :tup:

Exactly, well put dude.

What kinds of woods were/are used for traditional pipes that might be the equivalent in the UD woods that are used? Yes, I'm thinking about taste here. :drool: I do think drawing cold air across any wood would not be any sort of worry and part of the flavor profile and fun of using a Log vape. If you liked making designing wooden pipes when you combusted. Well that might be a plus with owning a log vape. Did I say wood would? 'Wood would', Sorry poor grammar. :haw:
MagrittePipe.jpg

Cool, my mind was on bases too. Found a base for my EVO. It's a base to a portable Coleman stove. Heavy duty and the right size and angle to have good safe space around it and keep it from tipping if I did bump into it like a clod. Might make a good template for someones's project?

With Log Vapes there are so many shapes and sizes to find a dimension for. I lucked out as far as size dimension and shape and I.D. for my UD, so no stand needed. And a color shape patina that suit's me.:luv: Just get a little more 12.3v when I'm taking a draw then back to 12v. is what I'm thinking might be a sort of compromise between power and being gentle with the UD. Or is there something flawed with that power management plan? :hmm:

Briar is the most common quality wood used in pipes and also makes a nice vape if you can find pieces big enough. I've made a handful of briar Dogs over the years including one of my original prototypes.

Most hard/dense woods will work as alternatives but fruit woods are commonly used, as well as olive, cherry and myrtle.

Hey everyone,

I bought my UD in October. I meant to write an update, but I got so busy using the new dog I fogot!

I got a red cedar UD, a dimmer, two nylon stems, a OS glass stem, OS steel stem, and a NonG. I love all of the various stems! Each has its own advantage. I also like that when I have friends over, we can each have a stem. The NonG fits perfectly into the little glass piece I have. It's great!

The dimmer was recommended to me because the pup runs hot. I am very, very glad I have the dimmer! Without it, the dog is so hot that it will combust a dryer product. I like that my dog runs hot, but I can use the dimmer to get it to my liking for direct draw use, NonG use, and aromatherapy use.

I have not needed to change the screens. I just put my stems in a bag of sea salt and alcohol. They are ready to use in minutes.

So yeah, the new UD (as compared to the old models) is amazing. The updates are the bomb. This is still my favorite vape of all time. It is so effifient; I can use a tiny flake or pinch, and the vape works like a charm. It saves so much and therefore easily pays for itself. The craftsmanship is perfect and each UD is unique. All my friends love it and want their own

Thanks for the post @Hitomi happy to hear you're enjoying the newer model! The salt/iso cleaning method is my favorite too.. cleans almost any amount of 'gunk' off in seconds.

What changes are in store for the standard core???

Underdog evolution is kind of an ongoing, continual process and we frequently make changes/adjustments but don't inundate you all with updates. I guess we should though since lots of you seem to like the more technical conversations?

Recent changes we've made in the past year or two:
- started laser cutting/drilling core components on the lathe as compared to the mechanical cutting/drilling we'd been doing for years. The resulting parts are 'nicer' and the much more precisely sized/shaped airflow ports deliver better, more consistent convection to the heater and then the material.
- changed the design for our custom made stainless heating elements with a different heating pattern (to take advantage of the laser parts mentioned above) and lighter mass mounting technique.
- shaved off some mass from the Standard and Air Cores to take advantage of heating element changes.
- optimized design to reduce the amount of heat radiated and conducted to the wooden body by a significant amount.
- finalized the move to an inert, durable and safe all stainless steel air path. The core components, heating element and screens are all stainless, no mismatched materials.

Coming changes to the Standard Core:
- slight tweaks to the laser cut parts to squeeze a little more performance out of the airflow.
- further reductions in mass, combined with newly optimized heating elements for more agile temperature response to changing power levels.
- optimize design further to double the reduction of radiated/conducted heat to the wooden body and trap that heat in the core where it's needed.
- even faster heat up time and recovery between hard hits.
- air inlets modified to better direct airflow where it's needed and to better isolate the material in a loaded stem from unintentional heating.

My wishlist:
  • laser vision
  • scuba kit
  • when shaken, plays Cher's Believe
  • responds to voice commands (well, just one: 'tea, Earl Grey, hot')
  • when at rest on a level surface, plays Cher's Believe
  • rotisserie

I'll see what we can do. :brow:

Last edited:

FreddieFresh

Sup Dogs??

Been a little bit since I was in this neck of the woods. Sadly, my pup doesn't play too well with others, so it hasn't been getting as much use with my friends. I had hoped a hotter running unit could keep up with groups as well as my nano does but I really just need a 15v power supply so I can bump it up a bit passed 12v for sessions. That said, I'm still enjoying it pretty well for solo use and it still sees a fair bit of action.

I was finally able to run by the post office today and pick up this tiny little number...

Finally, I'll be able to see if anyone I know suffers from trypophobia :freak:

Thanks @underdog for tossing in an extra SS lite stem with it. I notice they fit very snug. Made me nervous because my Ti actually got stuck for a second. Also, I'm assuming the core needs an o-ring to use the glass stems, correct? I got a pack, but they're too large.

FreddieFresh

Holy Arsenio Hall batman!.. That is a nice dog.

Do the banska pods retain heat well

edit forgot to continue typing

I still have a lot of experimenting to do, but it held up well to my preliminary testing :tup:

Based on the placement of the holes in this one, I don't think they have that much affect on heat retention but I could be wrong. It's smaller and has a less powerful heater, so those are factors to consider with the minis and micros, but I imagine a full size banksia probably runs as consistently as any other UD

underdog

Manufacturer
Sup Dogs??

Been a little bit since I was in this neck of the woods. Sadly, my pup doesn't play too well with others, so it hasn't been getting as much use with my friends. I had hoped a hotter running unit could keep up with groups as well as my nano does but I really just need a 15v power supply so I can bump it up a bit passed 12v for sessions. That said, I'm still enjoying it pretty well for solo use and it still sees a fair bit of action.

I was finally able to run by the post office today and pick up this tiny little number...

Finally, I'll be able to see if anyone I know suffers from trypophobia :freak:

Thanks @underdog for tossing in an extra SS lite stem with it. I notice they fit very snug. Made me nervous because my Ti actually got stuck for a second. Also, I'm assuming the core needs an o-ring to use the glass stems, correct? I got a pack, but they're too large.

Thanks for the update, sounds like you're having some fun testing! You don't nessisarily have to use o-rings to use the glass stems, if you don't you just have to control the insertion dept by hand instead. If yours are too large they're probably o-rings for the glass stems to be used as finger protectors. Send a message to Underdogette and she can set you up with the right sized ones for the core if you still want them.

Holy Arsenio Hall batman!.. That is a nice dog.

Do the banska pods retain heat well

edit forgot to continue typing

Yeah the Banksia Pod Dogs retain heat as well as any other Dog. The holes don't affect things to any real degree and the 'wood' itself is a medium density so doesn't affect things much either.

...I imagine a full size banksia probably runs as consistently as any other UD

^^ Just so.

Garysfriend

Hey Everyone,

I got a standard core (African?) Padauk back in November, and I love it. The color and tone are awesome and it looks great on my desk. I picked up a dimmer off amazon as it was running a little hot for my tastes (but I'm happy to have it too hot then too cool). I use the 14mm nong and the stainless lite stems the most. I have a 14mm gong that I use with friends and the thick glass direct draw that I rarely use.

My favorite is taking a nong stem all in one hit through a water pipe. :)

I'm super happy with it. It's performance is great. I love how simple it is and especially how efficient it is. It's absurd how little herb I use.

Thanks Underdog and Underdogette!

Has anyone ever taken theirs on a plane? I'm headed to colorado in a few months and it would be great if I could bring it. Obviously I'd clean it really well before hand, but I'm still undecided.

underdog

Manufacturer
Hey Everyone,

I got a standard core (African?) Padauk back in November, and I love it. The color and tone are awesome and it looks great on my desk. I picked up a dimmer off amazon as it was running a little hot for my tastes (but I'm happy to have it too hot then too cool). I use the 14mm nong and the stainless lite stems the most. I have a 14mm gong that I use with friends and the thick glass direct draw that I rarely use.

My favorite is taking a nong stem all in one hit through a water pipe. :)

I'm super happy with it. It's performance is great. I love how simple it is and especially how efficient it is. It's absurd how little herb I use.

Thanks Underdog and Underdogette!

Has anyone ever taken theirs on a plane? I'm headed to colorado in a few months and it would be great if I could bring it. Obviously I'd clean it really well before hand, but I'm still undecided.

Awesome dude, happy to hear you're enjoying it so much!

I've flown with many an UD and as long as it's clean (and fully cleaned stems/screens, if not new ones) and put in your checked bags I don't imagine you'll have a problem.. we certainly haven't.

I usually clean the vape itself (a quick wipe down of any physical schmutz on it then let it run for a few hours at max temp to burn off any lingering debris/odors/etc) and take new stems/screens or well cleaned (for outgoing and return flights) ones. I usually pack the stems in my toiletry bag and the vape itself just with the power supply, aroma cup and a little bottle of aroma oil (in case explanation is needed as to what the device is). :2c::peace:

underdog

Manufacturer
Hope everyone is doing well! Currently on a vacation 2 1/2 weeks in total(t-break?) Hahaha few days left with my first time to use an underdog when I get back home. Least to say I'm excited. Currently on 65/558 forum. Slow and steady! Happy vaping!

Awesome man, really hope you enjoy it when you get back! :tup:

Top Bottom