Underdog Log Vapes

vapingtortoise

Tortoise
9ol5hyqs86071.jpg
Introducing my buddy to the UDs last weekend. He is typically a 5-10 dab a day kinda guy but didn't even touch his rig! Ran the dogs through the teal accented piece. The clear one is my buddy's dab rig.

CurryLeafTreehugger

I am now 9 days from freedom - in 9 days, I reach vaccination finalization. JUBILATION! EXULTATION!

Also looking forward to bongs, whips, and bowls.

But about that

Vaccination

JUBILATION!
EXULTATION!

Cessation of damnation, of seeming infinite duration

Elation!
Oration.
Ovation!
Indulge in mass gyration
(Carefully avoid luxation)

Salvation!
Celebration!
Whatever your location
Here or any other nation

'Tis the end of our fixation on a distant liberation
Revelling to see truncation of this over-long "vacation"

If I knew some conjuration that would end this conflagration
I would speak that incantation
Though it be no consolation for all the dreadful desolation
The sadness and the isolation
Fuscation; frustration;
Obscuration and
Privation
All the world's desperation
All the Loss and ruination. Cry Havoc!

Purposeful prevarication leading to this ruination
Passes without explanation.
Still, we strive toward eluctation

I would share this destination
I would share this exultation
It is my hope, my aspiration
That we may end this tormentation
Faithful in our dedication
To survive the devastation
When the world came undone.

Jubilation.
Exultation.

Vaccination.

** Keeping India in particular in my thoughts these days **

Last edited:

CurryLeafTreehugger

Fuck glad yours is intact I did a shitty job on the other one and it arrived broken.
😣

No, USPS did a shitty job. You wrapped it so tightly that it only clinked very slightly when I picked it up. I was hoping it was just a spare piece rolling around. But when I unwrapped it, it totally fell apart, it was SMASHED.

Not from your packaging, from their throwing it around, I am sure. USPS used to be much better all around, until we ended up with a political appointee in charge of it whose sole intent for taking the job (and he has publicly stated this in plain English, including in Congressional hearings) was to oversee the dismantling and destruction of the department. Pretty sure that attitude is also a large part of the reason they are so intransigent about accommodating handicapped people as well.

I'll try to get a picture a little later. It has finally gotten warm enough here in the daytime that I need to get my fan air circulating scheme going. No AC here. I'm pretty tolerant of heat but when it hits 70F before noon, its not too long from when highs will start hitting high 90s and 100s. I'll be of even less use than normal once that starts.

arb

Semi shaved ape
No, USPS did a shitty job. You wrapped it so tightly that it only clinked very slightly when I picked it up. I was hoping it was just a spare piece rolling around. But when I unwrapped it, it totally fell apart, it was SMASHED.

Not from your packaging, from their throwing it around, I am sure. USPS used to be much better all around, until we ended up with a political appointee in charge of it whose sole intent for taking the job (and he has publicly stated this in plain English, including in Congressional hearings) was to oversee the dismantling and destruction of the department. Pretty sure that attitude is also a large part of the reason they are so intransigent about accommodating handicapped people as well.

I'll try to get a picture a little later. It has finally gotten warm enough here in the daytime that I need to get my fan air circulating scheme going. No AC here. I'm pretty tolerant of heat but when it hits 70F before noon, its not too long from when highs will start hitting high 90s and 100s. I'll be of even less use than normal once that starts.
We will persevere and overcome have no fear.
I see what you're facing now and will be better prepared.
Shameful way to treat a little old lady that's for sure.
👵

CurryLeafTreehugger

The continuing STOoooorrrY of the oil that has gone to the Dogs ...

Head First smaller.jpg

Everybody's pretty well oiled up here these days, but I fairly quickly realized that my old Wild Vaple, who is now being used as a stem caddy, had an issue with the endgrain. She wasn't soaking up much oil along the vertical surfaces (small pores, tight grain) but the end grain at the top was badly pitted and rough. So I kept applying more mineral oil on that surface and gradually it started improving. I kept meaning to go get something I could just up end her in to - took me days to remember to actually do it LOL!

Now she is happily soaking upside down and drinking up all the mineral oil she can. Her top edge there is gradually smoothing out. I doubt she'll ever be perfect along that edge without additional sanding eventually (not until she's had her fill of the mineral oil, and then some because sanding freshly oiled surfaces is no fun) but way better.

That's what happens when you don't wax your end grain for 3 years LOL!

The Hawaiian Koa is near equilibrium on the oiling front. At first she was getting oiled 2x per day, then it was down to once per day. At her last oiling it took 2 days for the last coat to mostly soak in. For this sort of use I figure I'm done when day 2 or 3 after a complete coat, you can tell it was oiled recently but it doesn't really rub off without some effort (pretty nearly entirely soaked in). So I could have gone either way - go ahead with the Wood butter, or do another mineral oil coat, and I decided to go for one more coat.

My Alpha (Ondine) has been getting special attention to her knots (She has a couple very small ones, actually the Koa has more of these areas that need special attention). She's ready for a complete body coat, but I'll wait until the Koa has had her waxing with the wood butter.

only 2 days more to Vaccination Finalization ...

😻

arb

Semi shaved ape
Do you find yourself using the tater tot?
I do.........I slowly rotate through them all.
The tatertot is a really nice piece and I can't tell if its a big little piece or a small big piece.
Does have excellent mouth feel on the 25mm tube.
Pairs well with the Alpha kicked back on the couch and is a unique piece to own.
Such a personal thing though so one mans treasure and all that.

Lobby

This beauty arrived today:
underdog6.jpg

underdog7.jpg

underdog8.jpg

Many thanks to my good buddy @MikeRotchHertz for the assist in picking this up.

How do you like the Orbiter? I’m looking for some new glass and I love the look of the Orbiter. Is the glass thin? The reviews of the Sneaky Pete Mega Globe often mention how thin the glass is and this puts me off of ordering one.

I’ve also been eying some of the pieces at Goo Roo but don’t know what I’d like from them. The idea of American glass appeals to me.

seki

How do you like the Orbiter? I’m looking for some new glass and I love the look of the Orbiter. Is the glass thin? The reviews of the Sneaky Pete Mega Globe often mention how thin the glass is and this puts me off of ordering one.

I’ve also been eying some of the pieces at Goo Roo but don’t know what I’d like from them. The idea of American glass appeals to me.
I'm not that great of a judge in terms of glass thickness. It doesn't seem thick like a high-end piece, but it doesn't seem fragile to me either. I own 4 orbiters but I've never tried a Sneaky Pete globe to compare. I like them a lot for VapCaps and the UD seems ok with it, but after using some larger pieces I do find them a little lacking volume-wise.

I recently made a video with a Splinter. I like how parts of it turned out, so I tried to do the same with an Underdog session. Hopefully the close up gives you a better sense of the glass thickness.

Lobby

I'm not that great of a judge in terms of glass thickness. It doesn't seem thick like a high-end piece, but it doesn't seem fragile to me either. I own 4 orbiters but I've never tried a Sneaky Pete globe to compare. I like them a lot for VapCaps and the UD seems ok with it, but after using some larger pieces I do find them a little lacking volume-wise.

I recently made a video with a Splinter. I like how parts of it turned out, so I tried to do the same with an Underdog session. Hopefully the close up gives you a better sense of the glass thickness.

Great video, thanks for posting it. I am clueless when it comes to glass. Right now I’m using a little 6” tall or a Eyce large beaker. I don’t like the Eyce because you can’t see the vapor. When I bought the silicone beaker I had no idea how much seeing the vapor fill up the chamber added to my enjoyment.

GraniteState420

I do.........I slowly rotate through them all.
The tatertot is a really nice piece and I can't tell if its a big little piece or a small big piece.
Does have excellent mouth feel on the 25mm tube.
Pairs well with the Alpha kicked back on the couch and is a unique piece to own.
Such a personal thing though so one mans treasure and all that.
Thx. I love GooRoo....just grabbed another last week, thinking about grabbing the tot next

CurryLeafTreehugger

So ... I was contemplating my newly waxed and buffed dogs in their Sunday Best (which is their Birthday Suits as we all well know) - and had just picked up a stem with a bit of abv in it (because if I forget to dump it I will always do a just-in-case draw, just to be sure, because yes, I AM that cheap), took an in-breath ...

And FOOM !!! The power goes off.

:bang:

It is back on now, but for a few brief hours there I actually started wishing for a battery powered vape.

NOT!

I really just wanted the power to come back on.

So in order to get the wood butter to soak in nicely I decided to put the dogs (sans cords) in my warmed toaster oven. Cuz. You know. Not a normal woman, no hair dryer.

And that did work. Sorta. Sadly the dogs came out smelling vaguely of meatballs (OF COURSE the oven is clean but its still an oven).

Which prompted me to consider buying a hair dryer. BUT WAIT! I DO HAVE A HAIR DRYER - or I did, like 10 years ago. I bought it to apply window film. Where would I have put that?

OF COURSE! IN MY HARDLY-EVER-USED TOOLBOX!!!! YAY!

The old Wild Vaple that is now a stem caddy is still soaking upside down in her mineral oil bath. I take her out for awhile every day and see if she is still drinking in the oil as fast as she can. She is. I'm going to actually have to add more oil, its amazing how much has soaked in along that top edge when the sides really don't take up much at all. When that winds down, she'll get a full wax with special attention to the upper edge there. First a mineral oil bath, then a good waxing and buffing, and finally a nice warm air-bath with the help of that brand new old hair dryer LOL!

The Hawaiian Koa has had another coat of mineral oil followed by a double coat of the wax and judicious application of the hair dryer. Did you know you can actually blow a doggie over with a hair dryer on high? I didn't! I DO NOW! After I blew her all the way over and onto the floor. Poor goggie!

The Tiger Vaple has had about 4 coats of wax and is probably about as evened out color-wise as she is going to get in the short term.

I'm contemplating making up some wood butter with some candelila wax added to it. Candelila wax has a melting point just slightly higher than beeswax at about 160F (beeswax is roughly 150F). Carnauba wax has a melting point about 180F and is even harder but its a palm product and I don't use palm products for several reasons, not the least of which is that I have allergies to coconut and palm products (and yes that means there are no commercial shampoos on the market that I can use, and only ONE conditioner, which has peppermint in it which makes my scalp burn LOL!). Also because commercial palm production has lead to devastating deforestation and abuse of farmers and native peoples over the past decade or so. One third of Indonesia has gone up in flames over the past 5 years in support of palm plantations (Palm oil is a highly sought ingredient for every cosmetic product out there, from soaps to body lotion to shampoos to makeup). And it is not just in Indonesia, its all over the world.

Anyway, between allergies and burnt tropical rain forests, no palm products for me. So I'm looking around for wooden things to test my new wood butter blends on LOL! Adding wax means its not for use on my kitchen implements and my wooden flutes are not meant to be waxed, but if nothing else, I'll hit the thrift shops looking for wooden stuff upon which to inflict my ebil experiments in wood buttering.

SHE'S MAD, MAD, MAD I TELL YOU! BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Seriously, the harshness of this desert environment I think warrants something a bit more ... substantial than beeswax alone.

Getting involved in all this again has me thinking about other wood stuffz as well. Like tung oiling my coffee table and the matching side table. Well a 50/50 blend of tung oil and orange solvent. But that's off in the fairly distant future. I won't even be able to implement my planned experiments in wood butter formulation until after I move and since that's been "planned" for 3 years now - WHO KNOWS.

I mean they're just pine, but they are nonetheless solid real wood. At this stage of the game, ALL wood deserves your best consideration and treatment. Everything these days seems to be made of compressed sawdust and glue LOL!

Now go plant a tree. Or several. (But not elms, please, at least not if its anywhere near your house)

CurryLeafTreehugger

BTW - Just so y'all know - my hardly-ever-used toolbox is for hardly-ever-used tools. Which I GUESS makes the toolbox itself ALSO hardly ever used, but you know.

I had mentioned recently that I had left an extra screen in my UD regular size glass direct draw stem even though I was using a silicone tip and gasket to hold a flat screen on the end. Well I popped that puppy out of there the other day to give it a thorough cleaning and didn't bother to put it back. Cuz you know, already had a flat screen sitting on the lip of the stem.

And WOW was that draw suddenly hot!

It finally occurred to me to stick a screen in there again and see what happened.

INSTANT coolth. Back to normal. So if you're having trouble with draws that seem hotter than they ought to be try sticking an extra screen in there. Just make sure it isn't inserted in such a way as to end up tangling with any other screens that might be in the stem already.

BKR2311

Hey guys. I've never used water with any of my pieces over the years, but the past 6 months have been rough on my throat. Not sure if its starting to catch up to me or what, but yeah. Got rid of all my bongs and shit years ago too. I have the 18mm gong that came with the Alpha, and I'm looking to get a decent bong for it (or bubbler if you guys would recommend that).

Any recommendations? I really would like to stay under 60$ since I'm a cheap ass. Found one on DH gate for like 40$ that looked good, but honestly I don't really know what I should be looking for in a good bong. Thank you

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
You might read through this recent thread

BKR2311

You might read through this recent thread
Thanks. I looked through it but everyone is all over the place so it's a little overwhelming. I did find a few that seem ok, but I have absolutely no idea what differs a good bong from a bad one. These are what I found:

Sorry for all the options. The only thing I can say is that I'm using it with the Alpha (obviously), and it might be easier if the bowl comes out at an angle? The Alpha is thicker and not sure how it would fit on the side. But yeah, I don't know shit about running vapes through water.

arb

Semi shaved ape
Thanks. I looked through it but everyone is all over the place so it's a little overwhelming. I did find a few that seem ok, but I have absolutely no idea what differs a good bong from a bad one. These are what I found:

Sorry for all the options. The only thing I can say is that I'm using it with the Alpha (obviously), and it might be easier if the bowl comes out at an angle? The Alpha is thicker and not sure how it would fit on the side. But yeah, I don't know shit about running vapes through water.
Do you sit back and bring it to you or is it on a table and you lean to it?

Top Bottom