Underdog Log Vapes

darkrom

Great Scott!
underdog said:
biojuggernaut said:
Dave what is deal with the patch of silicone underneath the heatsink? Is that still present?

The silicone patch is still there, separated from the air path, it's what holds and insulates the electrical wires from the heating element.

Ahhh ok and this is why Dave is the one to ask haha. Whoop my bad.

darkrom,

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Easy to get it mixed up darkrom, you were probably thinking of the silicone wires that were in the early core but was since removed..

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
underdog said:
Easy to get it mixed up darkrom, you were probably thinking of the silicone wires that were in the early core but was since removed..

That was what I was thinking of. FWIW I loved my old core, but the new core is an improvement. No issues even with the older style, and as many members here know, I'm VERY picky.

darkrom,

smartrott

The King is still running like a champ. I keep it on for long periods of time, but I do turn the voltage down from 12 to 10 or so, just to keep it close to operating temp. I don't just stick with one unit, I like to keep it mixed up: one day use this, next day...etc. Vape, smoke, edible, tincture, hell I love them all.

I am assuming I have an older core model, what's the difference?

smartrott,

underdog

Manufacturer
smartrott said:
The King is still running like a champ. I keep it on for long periods of time, but I do turn the voltage down from 12 to 10 or so, just to keep it close to operating temp. I don't just stick with one unit, I like to keep it mixed up: one day use this, next day...etc. Vape, smoke, edible, tincture, hell I love them all.

I am assuming I have an older core model, what's the difference?

Hey smartrott, haven't seen you around in quite a while.. good to hear things are going well with the King!

Older cores like in your piece are more prone to coming loose, have a more restricted airflow and may have silicone insulated wires vs the new revised core which is mechanically fastened in place, has better airflow and solid uninsulated wires for better durability. The old core was a solid performer but the new one is even better.. oh and the new one is officially rated for 24/7 use.

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Heya Underdudes and Underdudettes.. I need a bit of help here please.

I've been talking with a number of you about getting pieces; some of you are having ones made, some are waiting to see what comes out of the shop next, some are waiting on a specific piece (ie PH Twigs for example).. anyways I think I may have lost some emails and I want to make sure I've got all this sorted out right.

So if I've been talking to you about a piece that you're interested in getting can you please send me a message to make sure our previous communications weren't lost?

Thanks!

underdog,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
I received my End Grain Goblet :) it is beautiful, and a lot smaller than I expected! (I feel like that happens with every vape I get ha). Also, just a note, the power adapter is MASSIVE , i don't ever think I have seen one that big ha, are these new? because the one on the site are about 1/3 of the size..

I haven't been able to test it out yet, but I got some Eucalyptus oil in the aroma cup for now :) I filled the cup up halfway, I'll have to experiment and see how strong it is when I come back home.

I will post my impressions once I take some milky hits in the next few days, i seriously can't wait!

Elluzion,

underdog

Manufacturer
Elluzion said:
I received my End Grain Goblet :) it is beautiful, and a lot smaller than I expected! (I feel like that happens with every vape I get ha). Also, just a note, the power adapter is MASSIVE , i don't ever think I have seen one that big ha, are these new? because the one on the site are about 1/3 of the size..

I haven't been able to test it out yet, but I got some Eucalyptus oil in the aroma cup for now :) I filled the cup up halfway, I'll have to experiment and see how strong it is when I come back home.

I will post my impressions once I take some milky hits in the next few days, i seriously can't wait!

Hey Elluzion, glad the piece arrived safe and sound.. it is small huh? Now you can probably see why I had to make a custom half-size core for it and even that was a tight fit lol.

You're right the power adapter is massive and the pics on the website don't reflect that so I need to change them, thanks for the reminder. I really liked the idea of a small power supply but they just didn't work well in the real world log vape application so I switched to these beasts. These ones seem rock stable so far and are able to produce twice the power needed by an UD which means they only have to run at 50% capacity which in turn translates into a longer lasting stable power supply. The down side, as you've noticed, is that they're approximately the size of a VW Beetle and require a pack mule to move from one location to another. :lol:

@ darkrom - what piece? huh? where am I? who are you? (kidding) :lol:

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
Oh and a quick shop update.. a few more 'almost finished' Twigs and a quick custom piece for someone

Line-up1.JPG

(left to right: Osage-orange, Canarywood, Canarywood, Canarywood, Osage-orange, White Ash)

Line-up2%28Twigs%29.JPG

(just the Twigs: Osage-orange, Canarywood, Canarywood, Canarywood, Osage-orange)

MelloYello%20Ash.JPG

(MelloYello White Ash)

underdog,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I like the canary wood, drop the middle one on the floor later on please! :lol:

Custom piece looks awesome too!

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
OhTheAgony said:
I like the canary wood, drop the middle one on the floor later on please! :lol:

Custom piece looks awesome too!

:lol: I was about to tell Dave to tape up the middle one's mouth to stop it from calling my name. Always liked the canary wood.

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
You already got to many, I'm first :lol:

Just kidding of course, + I'm to broke atm to afford anything but lost pup anyways.

It is nice though... :rolleyes:

OhTheAgony,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
I have banned myself from adopting any more pups just yet :lol: I'm gonna hold off until Dave finds that perfect piece of Sumac to do my custom piece :cool:

Gonzo,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Dave Canary is awesome.. so colorful.. and Osage-oramge twig on the right for sure will wave your socks off :)..

Abysmal Vapor,

darkrom

Great Scott!
I am still shocked by how different these woods appear in the end. I've never really appreciated the visual appeal of wood until I started seeing these Underdogs.

And here I thought my Walnut MFLB was cool until these came out haha!

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
Thanks dudes.. yeah the Canarywood is cool huh?

Like many of these woods it looks really bland when it's just rough cut and then as you start getting it shaped, sanded and oiled all the colors and neat grain patterns start to pop out. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I go through the process I'm always excited when I get near the end and see how awesome the wood looks. :peace:

underdog,

Elluzion

Vapeosaurus Rex
underdog said:
Elluzion said:

Hey Elluzion, glad the piece arrived safe and sound.. it is small huh? Now you can probably see why I had to make a custom half-size core for it and even that was a tight fit lol.

You're right the power adapter is massive and the pics on the website don't reflect that so I need to change them, thanks for the reminder. I really liked the idea of a small power supply but they just didn't work well in the real world log vape application so I switched to these beasts. These ones seem rock stable so far and are able to produce twice the power needed by an UD which means they only have to run at 50% capacity which in turn translates into a longer lasting stable power supply. The down side, as you've noticed, is that they're approximately the size of a VW Beetle and require a pack mule to move from one location to another. :lol:

@ darkrom - what piece? huh? where am I? who are you? (kidding) :lol:

Yeah i completely understand how difficult it must have been to get a custom core in there haha. I like that it is custom though, makes my dog feel more unique :D

I was surprised by the power adapter because I was expecting the one in the pictures, but I am glad that these power supplies will last longer. I appreciate that =) a pack mule will most definitely be needed to transport this, but it most likely will be fixed, so no big deal.

Thanks again Dave! I love the beauty of my dog, can't wait to take it on a long walk :p

Elluzion,

underdog

Manufacturer
Elluzion said:
Thanks again Dave! I love the beauty of my dog, can't wait to take it on a long walk :p

Thanks man, I hope it gives you tons of enjoyment!

underdog,

stroh

errl enthusiast
those canary twigs are beautiful! cant wait for the afzelia twig to find its way to its new home, i know these ubertwigs are gonna knock my socks off :D

it still blows my mind that such a small vape can produce such lung-busting rips, while still remaining extraordinarily efficient, with the new core, i can only imagine this greatness to increase by tenfold :brow:

stroh,

Glairige

tombs said:
I'm really looking forward to getting my paws on a Purpleheart Twig. I'm planning on using it as my primary (only) vape.

Regarding the discussion of heat, size etc... Where would the Purpleheart fall in the spectrum of wood densities that are being used in UD designs?

I've got a purpleheart twig, I love it. It definitely is hot to the touch and I feel like it's slightly warmer than the average log (I'd rank it on par with or slightly hotter than my two CRZ).

Glairige,
Hey Dave, My heatsink has come slightly loose and twists when i slip the bowl on. Is there any way i can tighten it? Also does loosening of the core increase the heat it creates? I combusted this morning.

VaporBoxed,

underdog

Manufacturer
VaporBoxed said:
Hey Dave, My heatsink has come slightly loose and twists when i slip the bowl on. Is there any way i can tighten it? Also does loosening of the core increase the heat it creates? I combusted this morning.

Doh! Well you definitely don't want to twist it if possible because that might damage the wires. How loose is it as far as movement side-to-side or up and down? There isn't any way for you to tighten it at home as it requires a bit of surgery. It shouldn't run hotter by being loose so I'm not sure about that.

If you want email me and we'll talk about getting it fixed for you..

Loosening cores is a problem several of you have reported and I'm working on a way to solve it, I had hoped that the latest revision of the core had solved that one but it appears that might not be the case. The problem is that wood changes size and shape under exposure to heat like in an UD. That movement in the wooden body enables the core to go from anchored rock solidly in place to loose depending on the type and amount of movement and I'm finding that it doesn't always take much. We'll have to work through these bugs so please report them to me if any of you experience them, also so I can keep all of your UD experiences positive ones.

underdog,

SirElton

I'm here to sadly report the death of my Underdog. I've had it (birthday vape, old-core) plugged in 24/7 for the last few weeks and last night was the first time it hasn't performed. Initially, I thought it was another faulty power supply, and upon switching it to the PS I use with my RZ, it seemed that was the case as I was able to get a GREAT draw. However, that was a lone draw because I was unable to get anymore vapor from it. I let it stay plugged in for another hour before trying it again and the results didn't change. In fact, the steel wasn't even warm to the skin. I unplugged it last night and plugged it in this morning using the UD PS and it got warm, but not hot enough for me to feel pain when putting skin to the steel. I then switched to the PS from the RZ again and its not warming up at all. Cold steel to the touch.

Its odd and I'm not sure what happened, but my Dog is not performing.

SirElton,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
That sucks man. Was it one of the older Zap power supplies or the newer DC version, and are you sure it was safe to use with your UD?

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom