Underdog Log Vapes

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
Every time I've seen Dave post over the last 36 hours I franticly run to this thread to see if he posted the latest Doggies already, this one almost gave me a heart attach, lol

Just a few more questions: do the stems for the CRZ fit the UD without modifications? And if so, which ones would I need, the SS ones or the ones for the older Zap cores?

Also, if a Dog is preheated, do you have to wait awhile before hitting it or can you just insert a stem and have it produce clouds straight away?

Haha.. sorry OTA - sometimes I get so wrapped up in my work in the shop I forget how eagerly you guys are waiting for me to release more stuff. :) I've got a bunch of pieces 'in progress' but have been delayed a couple days while waiting for the UPS truck as usual. :uhoh:

Mabye an 'in progress' picture will tide you over for a day or two? I've got all these done and ready to finish and then a double-handful more in the shop in various states of roughness.

inprogress12-1-5.JPG

(from left to right, top row to front: Silver Maple, Bocote, Yew, Yew, Yew, Red Cedar, PH, PH, PH, Apricot, Koa Stray, Koa Stray)

@ tombs - a Purpleheart Twig is going to be a good daily driver and is an excellent compromise between the various factors. It will still run a bit hotter than a full size piece because of it's thin Twig nature but will be more durable than many other woods because it's Purpleheart and that stuff is like iron. :brow:

underdog,

underdog

Manufacturer
VaporBoxed said:
Nice work Dave.

Im especially liking bocote. I still have my bocote stem that i bought with my mz.

Thanks! I really like the bocote too, it finishes super smooth and has really interesting trippy patterns and grain.. I've got 2-3 more of those in the works.

Alright back to the shop for a bit, check back in with you guys at lunch.

underdog,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
No rush Dave!

I don't mind the wait, I just don't want anyone to grab a piece I might want before me, haha.

The new pieces look beautiful as usual! I particularly like the Silver Maple one, the Apricot and the Bocote, you wouldn't happen to have put a nick or dent in either one of those would you? :cool:

Thanks for the answers btw guys, sounds like just what I need. I hate having to 'plan' when hitting a Solo when I'm busy and only have my hands free a short moment to take a hit.

Does anyone have an answer to my question about the Zap stems as well perhaps?

Oh and Dave, how much would a Dog drain my motorcycle battery (it's a 12V, 12Ah gel battery I believe) if I run a Dog off it for an hour or 6 (at most) every night when I reach campsites during my summer travels?

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
Oh and Dave, how much would a Dog drain my motorcycle battery (it's a 12V, 12Ah gel battery I believe) if I run a Dog off it for an hour or 6 (at most) every night when I reach campsites during my summer travels?

If you ran it off it while idling no problems LOL. I haven't had a chance to run my underdog off my badass.....Honda Ruckus :lol:

Seriously though I've spent more than the price of a sport bike customizing and motor swapping a scooter, but carbon fiber is expensive as hell and its a labor of love :p

darkrom,

cluffy

Vaker
OTA, the CRZ stems do not fit the UD 3/8" core without an adapter. They DO fit around the UD 1/4" core and work great with just a piece of the 1/4" tubing but I don't believe Dave is making 1/4" cores anymore. Not sure about the old brass stems.

Your post got me curious and I did manage to adapt a CRZ stem to the 3/8" core with a piece of thin walled 1/4" tubing and a piece of 3/8" stem. It was more trouble than it was worth but fun. Here's a crappy pic!!! :
zapstem-1.jpg

You're better off using the silicon bowl and one of Dave's glass stems. Speaking of which, Dave, is there any chance your glass guy could make a GG stem for the UD? The 14mm GG fittings are fairly inexpensive, it seems to me they would be easy to turn into Dog stems. Then again, I'm not a glassblower (yet!) so I can't say for sure. I actually have a UD stem on a GG fitting (broken from a WPA), but it would be nice to have a "real" one.
ROCK ON!

cluffy,

Gonzo

Slightly Stoopid
That Silver Maple is :o Loving the really small PH Ubertwig as well. Will you be making any pieces out of Sumac Dave. I really like the look of that wood. If you can get a hold of it there may be a custom piece in my future :cool:

Gonzo,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Haha, you have a Ruckus Darkstrom? I love those. Perhaps a little underpowered for my lickings, but you gotta love the millage. They even convert them to electrical motors sometimes.

Perhaps this helps: youtube how-to link

My daily ride is the TDM900, but I traveled through the Alps on my little old Honda in the background last year:

scaled.php

Sorry for the offtopic btw, it's hard for me to control myself once someone gets me going on bikes :)

edit: thanks Cluffy! I would totally want one of those GG stems as well if they were available btw.

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
OhTheAgony said:
No rush Dave!

I'm in the shop so this will have to be quick and dirty but yes it should be totally fine, especially if you're running smaller piece like a Twig that heats up quickly. Since you never want to run a flooded or gel battery down past 50% we'll treat it as a 6AH and the UD load as 8w which gives us an operating time of 7.5 hrs to the 50% mark. So with a battery in good condition and fully charged even if you accidentally left the UD on overnight you would probably still have enough power to start the bike again... if not prepare to push lol.

darkrom said:
If you ran it off it while idling no problems LOL. I haven't had a chance to run my underdog off my badass.....Honda Ruckus :lol:

Hey a Ruckus is badass! I love those things!

@ cluffy - I'll ask but lets not hold our breath. My glass guy is really good at artistic stuff like the stems but not so much I think stuff like GonGs or bongs or bubblers, etc.

@ Gonzo - glad you like the Silver Maple it is pretty pretty. I've got a bunch more of it in the shop too that I'll be turning in the fairly near future. Haven't found any Sumac recently but I'll keep my eyes open even more now knowing that you're interested.

Alright back to the salt mine..

underdog,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think I prefer it quick and dirty Dave, thanks again!

I'd probably limit myself to 5 hours then, and leave an amp and a halve or so for my phone/tablet thingie as well. Should be more then good enough for an outdoors camping session.

Do you think it's save to compare the one you have reserved for me now to a twig since it seems basically similar in size?

edit:

darkrom said:
Seriously though I've spent more than the price of a sport bike customizing and motor swapping a scooter, but carbon fiber is expensive as hell and its a labor of love :p

sounds intriguing, got a picture perhaps?

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
darkrom said:

sounds intriguing, got a picture perhaps?

No electric motor for me 150cc and 70+mph top speeds LOL

Here is my "build thread" but it needs to be updated sometime soon. More work to do.
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=58594

I realize I don't have a single picture that is really good, other than when I had the old ugly mismatched wheels on it. Gotta see them all to see all the carbon fiber :brow:

Speaking of which I might end up with a carbon fiber twig....MAYBE :o

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
That's a pretty cool ride man, nice!

Do you actually use it as transportation, or is it just a fun Sunday ride which you mostly tinker on.

Yeah, I know. I was actually informing about your CF twig in a post yesterday, but you must have read over it. Still not sure if it's doable, or are you having doubts about the material?

OhTheAgony,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
That's a pretty cool ride man, nice!

Do you actually use it as transportation, or is it just a fun Sunday ride which you mostly tinker on.

Yeah, I know. I was actually informing about your CF twig in a post yesterday, but you must have read over it. Still not sure if it's doable, or are you having doubts about the material?

I use it to do about 30 miles a day for work. I get about 80mpg with the 150cc motor and can out accelerate any (average) car with ease LOL. It's a blast. Only one ride on the freeway LOL and I really didn't like that here. I put about 3k miles on it this season alone so it certainly gets its use. Now that it's swapped I prefer that over my car for anywhere that doesn't require a 4 lane highway :)

What were you saying about the CF twig? Must have missed it. I am waiting to see if Dave can pull it off. I have NO doubts about the material since it would be at most barely warmed since it would be on the outside over the wood. The outside doesn't get HOT on a twig, just warm. That being said it is also outside of the air path so short of sniffing the hot carbon I'd say its as safe as an all wood one haha. I will not be dissapointed if he can't do it since 1) carbon fiber is a BITCH to work with and 2) he does wooden vapes so this is really asking a lot of him. I have no expectations but if it works DAMN will I be happy haha.

darkrom,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I was curious if it was going to be made out of CF only or wood as well, but you just answered that, lol.

If it doesn't work out you could perhaps consider some pieces of carbon inserted in the wood, I'm imagining a nice light colored maple with diamond shaped CF inserts in a diagonal pastern all the way around right now, looks pretty good in my head, lol.

Cool that you're using your little custom Ruckus as well, it's what it's made for after all. I sold both my cars last year after only having used one of them once in a whole year, just to take my cat to the vets. It just felt stupid to pay so much money for the damn things taxes and insurance when I'm not even using them. One of them was a classic Porsche though (nothing fancy, just a simple 924S, but so much fun to drive), kinda regret getting rid of that one now.

OhTheAgony,

cluffy

Vaker
Ok, I got ambitious and cut off the broken end of my nice 14mm GG tube. A piece of UD stem fits nicely on it, leaving a good shoulder for the screen to lay on. (yeah, yeah, on which the screen lies) Then I had to clean the combustion stench out of my mini perc bong (left at friend's, yuck). Got it all done in time for 4:20!!
gongstem-1.jpg

CHEERS!!!! (starting early!!!)

edited because I forgot 'of'. Also checked to see if my grammar correction was correct and according to this it was, I think... : http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/lay-versus-lie.aspx

cluffy,

propjoe

that's awesome. ^

my UD doesn't stand up straight like that with my bong. i'm using the silicone tube.

propjoe,

darkrom

Great Scott!
OhTheAgony said:
I was curious if it was going to be made out of CF only or wood as well, but you just answered that, lol.

If it doesn't work out you could perhaps consider some pieces of carbon inserted in the wood, I'm imagining a nice light colored maple with diamond shaped CF inserts in a diagonal pastern all the way around right now, looks pretty good in my head, lol.

Cool that you're using your little custom Ruckus as well, it's what it's made for after all. I sold both my cars last year after only having used one of them once in a whole year, just to take my cat to the vets. It just felt stupid to pay so much money for the damn things taxes and insurance when I'm not even using them. One of them was a classic Porsche though (nothing fancy, just a simple 924S, but so much fun to drive), kinda regret getting rid of that one now.

Nothing fancy...just a Porsche. :lol:

That's like calling these Underdog masterpieces "just a log" haha. Does not do any kind of justice.

darkrom,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Hey Dave ! Red Cedar looks awesome.. I'd like to see a closer pic of it when it is done (since it is in progress?) :
Are there more new pieces to come than those here...? Cant wait :D

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
underdog said:
@ cluffy - I'll ask but lets not hold our breath. My glass guy is really good at artistic stuff like the stems but not so much I think stuff like GonGs or bongs or bubblers, etc.

Hey Dave, perhaps you should have look at this post & contact that guy if you're interested.

click me

darkrom said:
Nothing fancy...just a Porsche. :lol:

That's like calling these Underdog masterpieces "just a log" haha. Does not do any kind of justice.

Well, it's significantly cheaper then the model most people picture when they hear the brand name, perhaps you could look at it as one of the lost Dogs in comparison :lol:

OhTheAgony,

underdog

Manufacturer
@ Abysmal - yes there are many more pieces to come and I'll be sure to post more pics when they are, including the Red Cedar piece.

@ OTA - Thanks for the link, maybe if enough people show interest he'll start making pieces sized for the UD. I'll get in touch with him and maybe you guys can too if you're interested in getting pieces made.

underdog,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
underdog said:
@ Abysmal - yes there are many more pieces to come and I'll be sure to post more pics when they are, including the Red Cedar piece.

@ OTA - Thanks for the link, maybe if enough people show interest he'll start making pieces sized for the UD. I'll get in touch with him and maybe you guys can too if you're interested in getting pieces made.
Awesome Dave ,more joy to the eye is always wanted :).
My UD has just amazed a 35-year old guy who got his first hit of MJ ever... :rolleyes:
He said he always disliked smoke ,even fireplaces.. He says he can smell any combustion from 20 feet and he says he can never imagine inhaling somethings that has the chemical spectrum of the smoke..
He also favored water filtration and said that the bubbling water makes him concentrate better and get ready for the punch :p

Abysmal Vapor,

underdog

Manufacturer
Awesome Abysmal, the UD strikes again!

I'm going to be ready to ship out pieces for the contest winners as soon as UPS arrives (tomorrow or next week?) with Euro Plugs so I'll have to get you international winners to send the $30 shipping charge in before then.

Do you need another plug Abysmal? If not then I could ship yours out right away and you can add the Big Blue Prototype to your collection.. ;)

underdog,

darkrom

Great Scott!
biojuggernaut said:
Dave what is deal with the patch of silicone underneath the heatsink? Is that still present?

I know you are asking Dave, but I'm about 99% sure this isn't true on the new core.

darkrom,

underdog

Manufacturer
biojuggernaut said:
Dave what is deal with the patch of silicone underneath the heatsink? Is that still present?

The silicone patch is still there, separated from the air path, it's what holds and insulates the electrical wires from the heating element.

underdog,
Top Bottom