TV Shows - General Discussion

ray_

Season 5 of the Expanse on Amazon Prime just finished last week. What a season! If you are a sci-fi fan at all and haven't seen this you owe yourself a watch. The acting, directing, writing, special effects and overall storytelling is outstanding. If you are like me and want some behind the scenes stuff from actors, writers and directors the after-show for each episode is really good. And the 'Ty and That Guy' podcast with Ty Franck and Wes Chatham started today also.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I've been putting off catching up on the last couple of seasons of The Expanse till I caught up on the books. I read the first five (and all the novellas written in between the main books up to that point) before the show was even released. However, I have yet to read the three released since the fifth book, and the show has moved beyond the fifth book. I need to catch up on that reading!

Ramahs,
Reactions: ray_

CrazyDiamond

Crosseyed & Painless
Hogan's Heroes!?
Schultz, " I know nothing"!
What a classic.
LOL!
rcPMz7L.jpg

Ramahs

I hope it didn't got suggested before. I can highly recommend "who is america" from sacha baron cohen. A must watch in my opinion. It cost 20 bucks on Prime but most of it is on Youtube

Yeah, that show was funny :rofl:

Last edited:

ray_

I've been putting off catching up on the last couple of seasons of The Expanse till I caught up on the books. I read the first five (and all the novellas written in between the main books up to that point) before the show was even released. However, I have yet to read the three released since the fifth book, and the show has moved beyond the fifth book. I need to catch up on that reading!
The first couple of seasons were taken from the first couple books, but not necessarily in the same order. Season 5 was pretty much book 5. Next season will be their last, so it's hard to say where they will end the show. But yes, you have some more reading ahead of you. I enjoyed the books more but many enjoy the TV series more.

Ramahs

So far I'm happy that the TV shows stuck to the books well enough.
But I liked the books better, because more of course.

Not sure I've ever seen a show that was better than the books, if the books were good. You just can't fit everything from the books in usually.

GetLeft

Wandavision didn't take with me. It's parodying things that are unparodyable. They are already in essence parody. To parody them means you missed the point in the first place. The show seems to be looking back at something it doesn't understand. Plus of course the super hero stuff. Gotta have that.

GetLeft,

Ramahs

Wandavision didn't take with me. It's parodying things that are unparodyable. They are already in essence parody. To parody them means you missed the point in the first place. The show seems to be looking back at something it doesn't understand. Plus of course the super hero stuff. Gotta have that.

I'm curious, how many episodes did you watch? Did you make it past the 4th episode?
Something tells me you may not have, if you're thinking it's a parody.

Last edited:
Ramahs,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

GetLeft

Nah I couldn't handle it through a single episode. All the 60ish tv show feel (canned laughter and all if I recall). I saw the director in a promo talking about how much he dug those shows and wanted to reproduce that feel. Not for me. But my wife and daughter watched a couple of episodes happily.

You just can't fit everything from the books in usually.

I'm not sure this goes beyond Book 5 except perhaps to tease a little bit. This season didn't miss much from the book. What the show does well is capture the drama in the story. Maybe probes it a little deeper than the book. The whole Naomi Phillip thing for example. And last season the whole Drummer Ashford story. Good writing and acting on top of the cool sci fi ambience.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Nah I couldn't handle it through a single episode. All the 60ish tv show feel (canned laughter and all if I recall). I saw the director in a promo talking about how much he dug those shows and wanted to reproduce that feel. Not for me. But my wife and daughter watched a couple of episodes happily.

I'm not sure this goes beyond Book 5 except perhaps to tease a little bit. This season didn't miss much from the book. What the show does well is capture the drama in the story. Maybe probes it a little deeper than the book. The whole Naomi Phillip thing for example. And last season the whole Drummer Ashford story. Good writing and acting on top of the cool sci fi ambience.

Just skip to episode 4 then, you may feel differently... Yeah they leaned hard into the homage, but it does change each episode and it does get better (/more typical hero)

Ramahs

Nah I couldn't handle it through a single episode. All the 60ish tv show feel (canned laughter and all if I recall).

Yeah, it does that at first. But everything changes after episode 4. I highly recommend sticking with it.
It's becoming a good addition to the Marvel Universe, even if the first few episodes seem corny and difficult to get through.

710yota

Have you heard about the boom on Mizar 5?
Funny enough I go to find this thread to talk about watching the Expanse and see talk of it on this very page! I'm on season 4 and have been enjoying it, don't always watch a ton of sci-fi.

For more earthly shows, I binged my way through the Shield and Justified a while ago and really liked both of those.

Shit Snacks

Funny enough I go to find this thread to talk about watching the Expanse and see talk of it on this very page! I'm on season 4 and have been enjoying it, don't always watch a ton of sci-fi.

For more earthly shows, I binged my way through the Shield and Justified a while ago and really liked both of those.

Nice, I haven't started season 5 yet. Just if it was great, they may be bringing back Timothy Olyphant to play the same character but in a different book set in Detroit...

vapirtoo

710 you made it all the way through, agents of shield ? I suffered the whole series
with much help from my vapes. The plots seemed so poorly (weirdly) written that I
watched them with much difficulty. In comparison, the expanse was a joy to watch,
great plots with real human and social drama.

Shit Snacks

710 you made it all the way through, agents of shield ? I suffered the whole series
with much help from my vapes. The plots seemed so poorly (weirdly) written that I
watched them with much difficulty. In comparison, the expanse was a joy to watch,
great plots with real human and social drama.

:lol: no no they were talking about the show, The Shield, about dirty cops on FX! lol

Agents of Shield though is a total trip, a fun ride, season to season, although now with Wandadivision it seems like it is not quite canon with the marvel cinematic universe anymore! Although I heard they might be bringing Quake back for the Sam Jackson Skrull show... SHIELD did feel comic booky!

GetLeft

Chapter Thirty-One: Drummer.

"She found herself craving a pipeful of marijuana, even though she hadn’t smoked in decades." Corey, James S. A.. Persepolis Rising: 7 (The Expanse) (p. 300). Orbit. Kindle Edition.

I've always liked Drummer best (well second best - no one can beat Bobbie). I knew we had a connection.

GetLeft

Found myself with some open evening time this past week and checked Prime to see if there was something that caught my eye. Only by chance did I look at Clarkson's Farm. But it hooked me. An odd but entertaining binge if you're into farming at all. I'm not necessarily. Just live amongst it. So learned a little too.

Shit Snacks

Yeah, my nippled stem is an RBT one so it is male...I wouldn't mind getting a nippled stem that was female so I could skip the F to F and have a more stable combination, but I don't use it that way enough to bother.
First of all you said it too many times for me to ignore, dimpled or indented, not nippled :rant::lol:also "spiked" is fine! lol :disgust:;):rolleyes:
Tomato tomoto. I give you permission to call it whatever you like... ;)
Of course you have permission to do whatever you like here my friend (free to be as wrong as you want:D), but I cannot help myself from pointing out again that they are really not the same at all: it is no potato equals potato situation here... nipples are porous, these are not fucking nipples!
:cuss::lmao:
May I suggest that is a pretty difficult blanket statement to get away with. I protest. However, this is probably not the right room for this argument so you are saved. But only by a technicality. So there, you have something in common with Bill Cosby.
"a small projection on a device or machine, especially one from which oil, grease, or other fluid is dispensed in small amounts"
The primary definition is actually for like the human body part and the bottle mouthpiece, even if you google nippled glass! So not much difficult about that to me, and not in need of technicality, but I'll digress! I just can't stand it, ruined the word for me lol
Clearly that is one definition of a nipple. If I may be so bold as to speak from my own not very limited experience, I have engaged with a quite significant number of nipples in my life, and many have engaged with mine, and I must say that while substantial negative pressure may have been applied, NONE have produced anything but pleasure (and maybe sometimes a little pain). Nothing behind them has ever been brought forth, so I feel perfectly able to suggest that not all nipples are porous, even animal ones. I, of course, was not really talking about animal ones, I was merely using them to describe a shape, but the same rules apply.
So, unless you want to have an argument about whether all spermatozoa are sacred, I think we are done here.
Haha yeah well, all male nipples are still porous, and some male nipples do actually produce liquid... Just saying, mammal nipples are porous regardless of the shape, and when you look up other nipples it is all baby bottle mouthpieces lol also porous

I know what you're saying though, because a nipple could just be like a nub, any thing you are touching that is a flat surface with something sticking out could be a nipple... however with these stems in particular, when you are touching them on the outside, they are dimples you feel, as the "nipple" would be on the inside and never touched... So on top of not being porous, yeah these are just not nipples to me at all!

And so aside from hating the word now, dimples or indents is just a much more accurate description in my own opinion of course (I think many people call them nipples when they actually mean to say dimples because the words are so similar and they are not thinking about it at all --since language is dynamic this is actually a way in which it can change and the definition can change, but I am fighting that!) Spiked is what I see used the most, and to me it is more accurate than nippled, as well, but again I promise I will stop now, sorry again!

I know I said I was done with this topic, so at least I am posting here where it is more on topic instead of the tinymight thread! Because cybrguy look how perfect, we were just talking about this above, then low and behold an actual reference to glass nipple:

PXL-20210708-013450391-MP.jpg

Now hear me out, this is from the show Younger (actually the last TV Land original series, that was moved to the new Paramount+ for its final season that recently ended, and also available on Hulu) which is quite good actually, but the character speaking is an artist so I believe she is talking about a sculpture she made called "Glass Nipple Lady" though to be fair, I presume the nipple in this case is of the human variety, however also glass! :rofl:

Top Bottom