Tornado by Vestratto

hotmeals

Serial vapist
It couldn't be my only device, simply because of the conduction leaning nature. But I'm very interested in adding it to the lineup once it is more stem compatible.
Yes it will make an excellent evening vape.
But not for the day, or enjoying the terps.
Only to experience the joys of powerful effects lol.
Always good to add diversity to your range, and for my part I would like to integrate a conduction-dominant vape into my collection.
Personally I would consider these to be closer to 50/50 hybrid than conduction dominant designs. They deliver a lot of heated air quickly, and this contributes greatly to the experience. I understand the point of view that the conduction does most of the work getting it up to temperature, but without that heated air, the Anvil would just be a Dynavap.
I tried an anvil a few times at a friend's house and it actually works well and strong! But I'm sorry to say it like that, but the flavors weren't there, and I still had this really disappointing metallic aftertaste.
It's very dependent on personal technique. If you want competitively good flavor out of these manual vapes you need to pay attention to many factors, such as grind consistency, herb's moisture content, how tightly the bowl is packed, which torch you're using, flame size setting, where you heat it, how long you heat it, how hard you draw, and I might be missing some. These are the kinds of vapes that require you to find your own method of using them in order to optimize your own experience. In my opinion it's pretty unlikely that you got an optimal experience for you while using your friend's Anvil. If he doesn't care as much about flavor, he may not have been honing his technique to acheive really great flavor during his ownership of it, and even if you did get a perfect bowl, it may not taste good due to residue left behind from less tasty bowls. Draw and pack technique also make such a big difference that the way one person heats if for themselves may not be the best way for someone else to do it.

The Anvil/Tornado get a lot of praise for their ability to ride the line of combustion, but I think they also work terrifically for lower temperature, lighter, but still complete roasts. I've done many experiments with revaping vaped bud, and the herb is very thoroughly vaped by these devices without having to go so dark in my opinion. At my preferred "medium brown" as I would call it, I am unable to get a single decent hit out of a Dynavap, all I can do is make it darker. When it is a little lighter than I prefer, I might be able to get one okish hit out of a Dyna, but I don't feel like I'm missing much until it's significantly lighter than my preference.

PrematureEvaporation

Personally I would consider these to be closer to 50/50 hybrid than conduction dominant designs.

Here We Go Again GIF

The Anvil thread OG’s any time they read something like this ;)

Knewt

The old Anvil stem (the one with a part that unscrews to regulate the airflow) also works with the Tornado without modification. I saw a video about it in a French-speaking Facebook group about vaporizers, but it’s very difficult to find. Vestratto doesn't sell them anymore.
It hasn’t even been out 3 years, but now there are old and obsolete parts. I’ve been using the antique stem and it works great.

dutchey666

I just wanted to let people know if you're using it with the wand that the temperature doesn't really matter that much, it's just a timer. My tempest heats at 490 and I don't need to change it for the tornado.

electrokho82

One hit with the Tornado + Stem (0.22 gr & 0.24 gr). First clic 21 sec, second clic 23 sec, dark ABV. I have adapted the wand to use it hands free with the Tornado :

I just wanted to let people know if you're using it with the wand that the temperature doesn't really matter that much, it's just a timer. My tempest heats at 490 and I don't need to change it for the tornado.
I have both (Tornado and Tempest) and love them both, in my opinion they are different and complementary.

KindBuddyBud

Fucked around and made a tornado steamroller.

I feel the same as everyone else that has the tornado. Very smooth, hits HARD (or light and delightful if you want), damn tasty and not as hot as you’d think, even when heating at the logo (hottest) and hitting it dry. I’ve only used it with my j-hook until I macgyvered this together tonight. John and the engineers over at vestratto did a great job. 👍

The tornado has shelved most if not all of my other vapes. I still use my lobo when I’m mobile but, I took a big ol’ tasty rip(s) (just one bowl) before I left the house today. The lobo didn’t get used, and my nerves weren’t fried today. I got the tornado and the tempest beta upgrade kit on the same day Thursday sept 12th. I haven’t even gotten around to upgrading.

I can keep on showering praises but @Vapetothegrave ’s post was eloquent and perfect so I’m just gonna quote him, because that’s exactly what I was thinking and how I feel lol.
My experience with the Tornado-

Noticeably more smooth, with the same or more herb than the anvil. Hitting this thing native on a j hook is no issue and I really am coughing less with less throat irritation. This is the best improvement IMO, it feels like hitting an entire venty bowl at once with a similar level of smoothness..

Noticeably more efficient, this part is highly subjective, however; using the same amount of herb in an Anvil vs a Tornado i notice that it produces a noticeably more full hit, you can feel it in the composition of the vapor and the effects afterwards. Obviously with the MAX bowl packed fully, the effects are more akin to a fully packed flowerpot. Like... whenever I used to throw 0.3g in a shovelhead and rip it at 630.

The Forge is for convenience, it heats the tornado to perfection in 10 seconds, however I can replicate the hits with 50 seconds of torching.

Finally, this feels like a natural evolution of the anvil. It is beautifully machined and you can see how nicely they were able to bond the copper core to the stainless steel at the bottom of the "atomizer"

IMO, well worth 200$ and a very worthy addition to anyone's collection. For medical users without dexterity issues I can't think of a more effective device, especially with the 10 second heat ups with the forge.

I will follow up after a few more weeks of usage, but first impressions are very strong.

bridgesoid

One hit with the Tornado + Stem (0.22 gr & 0.24 gr). First clic 21 sec, second clic 23 sec, dark ABV. I have adapted the wand to use it hands free with the Tornado :

I have both (Tornado and Tempest) and love them both, in my opinion they are different and complementary.
Damn dude :bowdown::rockon:You are super quick with the innovations that so many are likely looking for (hands free wand).. and I also really appreciate the trouble you have gone to stoner engineering wise to retrofit the tornado to an Anvil stem. Thank you for taking the time to post, I am grateful for your research and contributions :)

"love them both, in my opinion they are different and complementary"

100 percent 👍 Switching up vape signatures to suit the needs of that point in time and reduce tolerance is a solid approach to vaping (at least in my opinion). e.g. I have a 14mm Ti injector sometimes retrofitted to wireless I torch for a nice alert convection high effect if I'm out camping and hiking, then I can transition to a Dani or diffuser later in the afternoon then off to full conduction heavy 360 style hits if I need serious pain relief and assistance with sleep at night time. Time and a place, variety in the spice of life and affords a wealth of potential utility :peace:

PrematureEvaporation

Damn dude :bowdown::rockon:You are super quick with the innovations that so many are likely looking for (hands free wand).. and I also really appreciate the trouble you have gone to stoner engineering wise to retrofit the tornado to an Anvil stem. Thank you for taking the time to post, I am grateful for your research and contributions :)

100% this, love seeing a post from @electrokho82 about their latest bit of tinkering.

Their posts showing off the wand with the tornado have saved me money that I was ready to spend on a next gen IH for the tornado. It’s also just cool in general to me when people modify their stuff and add functionality that wasn’t known or there before

Vapetothegrave

Vape2thegrave
Company Rep
Does the tornado come fully assembled or do you need to buy individual components from vestratto as well ? It seems like it has no stem
It comes fully assembled. But it is sold as a 14mm WPA, with no stem. The WPA can be removed from the oven. There is no condenser

Vapetothegrave,

stonedBBer

It comes fully assembled. But it is sold as a 14mm WPA, with no stem. The WPA can be removed from the oven. There is no condenser
So to use it with a stem I would add the universal stem adapter and then a stem of my choice from a third party?
Do you know of thr phatpiggie stems will be compatible with thr adapter ?

stonedBBer,

Vapetothegrave

Vape2thegrave
Company Rep
So to use it with a stem I would add the universal stem adapter and then a stem of my choice from a third party?
Do you know of thr phatpiggie stems will be compatible with thr adapter ?
The Tornado doesn't fit the current USA unfortunately, it slips on and it works but it's not secure enough for me to recommend, the oven portion where it connects is a bit longer than the anvil, with no airflow.

Some users up the thread had success by cutting their current stem/usa to size and had it fit perfect.

Vapetothegrave,

stonedBBer

The Tornado doesn't fit the current USA unfortunately, it slips on and it works but it's not secure enough for me to recommend, the oven portion where it connects is a bit longer than the anvil, with no airflow.

Some users up the thread had success by cutting their current stem/usa to size and had it fit perfect.
Will the integrated stem be stocked again soon? Will there be a USA for the tornado in the future ?

stonedBBer,

PossumMD

Will the integrated stem be stocked again soon? Will there be a USA for the tornado in the future ?
We don't know yet as nothing has been announced yet. It feels safe to assume that yes there will be at some stage, but for now we have no guarantees.

PossumMD,

Vestratto

Manufacturer
Hi guys
John here.

Wanted to give a quick update on the FORGE status.

First - let me apologize for not catching the condition that we are concerned about with the generation 1 boards and the TORNADO a lot sooner. As you know we have not released any additional units after the 4-20 launch because we wanted to allow enough time in the field to gather the intelligence to make the 2nd generation as close to perfect as possible.

Since APRIL we have experienced a 9 percent failure - all of them due to this one thorny problem.

It took us a while to figure the problem out but in general terms the failures occur with a rapid removal of the TORNADO - say on a click of the snap disc - from a fully powered core at just the right moment in the power control cycle. In that precise interval - a few milliseconds wide - the moving TORNADO stimulates a resonant energy absorption inducing a massive power flux that has no where to go once the TORNADO, being removed, is no longer absorbing it. Naturally that energy has to ultimately go somewhere so it overloads a couple of components on the way back to ground. It is always the same components so we are extremely confident that we understand the problem and the full extents of the damage.

Once we were able to identify and repeat the phenomena we were looking for (honestly after several thousand abusive heating cycles) we were able to create a test protocol and build an extremely robust fix. New boards are on the way as I write this for final verification of the fix. Importantly we have had NO OTHER UNEXPLAINED FAILURES since April. I'm so pumped to be able to unleash the full power of the FORGE with you guys. Thanks for keeping the TORNADO out of the induction mix for a little while longer. It may work perfectly well - but if it blows up just a week or two before an executable fix it would suck.

Here's what we are thinking - and I hope you understand its going to take a while so we need your patience. We are going to have a few different programs and we are pleased to support whichever you choose. We do NOT have all the logistics worked out yet but we are going to have to spread this out over several weeks. We hope to verify the new boards fully by the middle to end of next week. IF THE FIXES DON'T PROVIDE THE RESULTS WE DEMAND I WILL COME BACK TO YOU RIGHT AWAY. If things go as planned:

program 1) We will swap out a brand new FORGE for your unit. We will need to have your unit back in hand before we send out the replacement. We will coordinate with each of you but have adopted this new policy because, sadly we have found that some folks lost the motivation to send our stuff back once we provided the replacement. Once we are ready to go we hope to turn things around briskly because ultimately we really get a kick out of making a great vape / now system.

program 2) We will swap out the affected circuit board in your existing unit, verify the other boards are perfect, and include a compelling gift - something like a cold start bowl, TORNADO stem or TORNADO stem adapter.

Just so everyone is clear, if the refurbished units meet spec, we plan to sell them, clearly identified as re-furbished units, with a compelling gift at a kick ass price. Thist will help us recover our costs and provide super value to those lucky enough to score a unit.

Thanks for hanging in there. We are definitely keen to get this sorted.

Hi guys
John here.

First - let me apologize for not catching the condition that we are concerned about with the generation 1 boards and the TORNADO a lot sooner. As you know we have not released any additional units after the 4-20 launch because we wanted to allow enough time in the field to gather the intelligence to make the 2nd generation as close to perfect as possible.

Since APRIL we have experienced a 9 percent failure - all of them due to this one thorny problem.

It took us a while to figure the problem out but in general terms the failures occur with a rapid removal of the TORNADO - say on a click of the snap disc - from a fully powered core at just the right moment in the power control cycle. In that precise interval - a few milliseconds wide - the moving TORNADO stimulates a resonant energy absorption inducing a massive power flux that has no where to go once the TORNADO, being removed, is no longer absorbing it. Naturally that energy has to ultimately go somewhere so it overloads a couple of components on the way back to ground. It is always the same components so we are extremely confident that we understand the problem and the full extents of the damage.

Once we were able to identify and repeat the phenomena we were looking for (honestly after several thousand abusive heating cycles) we were able to create a test protocol and build an extremely robust fix. New boards are on the way as I write this for final verification of the fix. Importantly we have had NO OTHER UNEXPLAINED FAILURES since April. I'm so pumped to be able to unleash the full power of the FORGE with you guys. Thanks for keeping the TORNADO out of the induction mix for a little while longer. It may work perfectly well - but if it blows up just a week or two before an executable fix it would suck.

Here's what we are thinking - and I hope you understand its going to take a while so we need your patience. We are going to have a few different programs and we are pleased to support whichever you choose. We do NOT have all the logistics worked out yet but we are going to have to spread this out over several weeks. We hope to verify the new boards fully by the middle to end of next week. IF THE FIXES DON'T PROVIDE THE RESULTS WE DEMAND I WILL COME BACK TO YOU RIGHT AWAY. If things go as planned:

program 1) We will swap out a brand new FORGE for your unit. We will need to have your unit back in hand before we send out the replacement. We will coordinate with each of you but have adopted this new policy because, sadly we have found that some folks lost the motivation to send our stuff back once we provided the replacement. Once we are ready to go we hope to turn things around briskly because ultimately we really get a kick out of making a great vape / now system.

program 2) We will swap out the affected circuit board in your existing unit, verify the other boards are perfect, and include a compelling gift - something like a cold start bowl, TORNADO stem or TORNADO stem adapter.

Just so everyone is clear, if the refurbished units meet spec, we plan to sell them, clearly identified as re-furbished units, with a compelling gift at a kick ass price. Thist will help us recover our costs and provide super value to those lucky enough to score a unit.

Love my tornado😍

Dougmeister20,

Oden

Hi guys
John here.

The forge in reconditioned with an unbeatable price, you can count on me to buy one 😂😂

Top Bottom