TinyMight / TM 2

MoltenTiger

any reason why a TM2 would suddenly start combusting, regularly?
had the vape brand new for a week with no problems, until this.
after it combusted about 3 or 4 times yesterday (heat setting 9, and lightly filled with cannabis) i put it down before i smashed it to bits in a rage.
have cleaned the device and made sure it's heating is set to the standard level as per back page of the manual.
is there something i am missing?
Heat setting 9 is up there, I think I've combusted there and usually run 8.5+

If you dial it way back to say 2, 4 or 6, does it still combust?

May need recalibration, for me I would just find the spot on the dial that works.
If it is running at combustion levels below temp 9 I would think there is a hardware fault

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
any reason why a TM2 would suddenly start combusting, regularly?
had the vape brand new for a week with no problems, until this.
after it combusted about 3 or 4 times yesterday (heat setting 9, and lightly filled with cannabis) i put it down before i smashed it to bits in a rage.
have cleaned the device and made sure it's heating is set to the standard level as per back page of the manual.
is there something i am missing?
I have an OG TM, and my heat is usually set at 4 on the dial. I can usually get all the goodness out at that temp, tho on some strains I go to 5 or a maximum of 6. I have never had to go to 9 with dry flower and I don't recall ever combusting with my TMs, tho I am confident I could if I chose to.

Lots of folk run hotter than my numbers without combusting. There is a way, at least with the OG, to adjust the range of temps available. Maybe your range is set too high. Either way I would contact the company...

bestvaping

Can someone with the rocket stem give feedback on how the airflow is?

For me, the airflow is more restrictive than the original stem, which has a larger diameter:

nrrf.png

The air flow passes over the side of the lower rod before reaching the beads, the glass beads get dirty less quickly, but it can be complicated to clean the inner tube, glass beads cannot be removed.

tn9i.png

hz45.png

Personally, after each session, I shake (like maracas) the mouthpiece to release the glass beads and prevent them from sticking together. This mouthpiece works well, but it does get dirty quite quickly, and as mentioned above, it can be complicated to clean the inside, but honestly for the low price, I think it's worth it.

gangababa

Considering recent threads suggesting that our vaporizers may kill us, and as environmental isolation seems to be valued, we may all wonder, "What's under the hood of the TM 2, and what do I need to know to look?"

I recently found this Reddit Teardown/Rebuild Album, posted two months ago by user facepalm_the_world.
A previous Reddit teardown was posted above on 9/1/2022 by @sickmanfraud.

A search of this thread did not turn up any previous mention to this information with 17 pictures of hidden surfaces, features, relations, and parts; plus instructions.
Buyer beware!

gangababa,
Reactions: Cheebsy

RedZep

Considering recent threads suggesting that our vaporizers may kill us, and as environmental isolation seems to be valued, we may all wonder, "What's under the hood of the TM 2, and what do I need to know to look?"

I recently found this Reddit Teardown/Rebuild Album, posted two months ago by user facepalm_the_world.

A search of this thread did not turn up any previous mention to this information with 17 pictures of hidden surfaces, features, relations, and parts; plus instructions.
Buyer beware!
What's this about vapes killing us? I looked and couldn't find anything.

TM2 seems safe to me. Unless I'm missing something.

gangababa

What's this about vapes killing us? I looked and couldn't find anything.
Sorry for the flippant and exaggerated reference to the perennial discussion about air path, electronic isolation, silicone, off-gassing, safe metals, dangerous metals, air leaks.
@Sam42 initiated such a discussion about the TM2 on page 856.
I totally trust that the TM2 is safe and the air path is isolated.

RedZep

Sorry for the flippant and exaggerated reference to the perennial discussion about air path, electronic isolation, silicone, off-gassing, safe metals, dangerous metals, air leaks.
@Sam42 initiated such a discussion about the TM2 on page 856.
I totally trust that the TM2 is safe and the air path is isolated.
I missed that. Just went back and read it. Thanks for your post. Makes sense now.

I agree with that poster on couple of things. Would like silicone o rings. And the aluminium threads are a concern. Not enough to put me off the device currently. Would like these things to be improved in the next iteration though. So maybe we shouldn't be afraid of voicing these concerns in a balanced none-reactionary way.

gangababa

Is there any reason to think that the O-rings on the TM 2 are not silicone?
The stem O-rings and the extra top cover/glass O-ring that I bought (as with the cooling unit O-rings) all appear to be red silicone (presumably hi-heat) O-rings. Are any red O-rings made of non-silicone material?

As I see it, only the tool O-ring (now red) might be replaced with non-silicone, as it is not in the air path.

gangababa,

mulciber

Is there any reason to think that the O-rings on the TM 2 are not silicone?

There is not, especially since they are designated "Food grade silicone" on the Tinymight website. I regard some of the flags raised here warily. Not an expert on these matters, but the maker of the TM seems to have begun with an eye to safety concerns, and made improvements for the second iteration.

Ganjora

thanks for the replies.
used the device since new at 9 or just above with no combusting until now.
i buy myself 1 vape a year, this year's was the TM2.
thankfully i have a few other serious devices, so in have cleaned the TM2 and put it away.
i must admit to being more than a little disappointed.

Ganjora,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
thanks for the replies.
thankfully i have a few other serious devices, so in have cleaned the TM2 and put it away.

Was every other variable the same? Same exact bud, ground the same exact way, loaded the same exact way with the same pathway and stem with screen etc...? Not to mention the length you were holding the button, listening to the vibrations, letting go of the button, and how you inhaled etc...? There are a lot of variables with something like this, temp settings can also vary depending on these, with pure convection it can be more of a manual experience even though it is regulated as it is here with the full temp range dial... Even so, yeah you want to be able to avoid combustion so setting high but low enough to avoid makes sense, however sometimes when you are set hi even if it is not at the max you can end up scorching the load with too long of a hit etc depending on all these variables... Common in many heavy hitting vapes actually in my experience at least! Do you just not enjoy lower temps with it at all or have you not even tried them?? It is possible, something changed in the resistance affecting the temp, might not be a reason to recalibrate of course, rather clean contacts and such though?? Of course it's your choice to put it in a drawer and forget about it if you have other things you prefer to use, for me TM2 is still one of my all-time favorites as I hardly use most of my collection these days :2c::peace:

Photonic

Lesser-Known Lurker
thanks for the replies.
Did you enjoy using your TM2 before it started to spontaneously combust? If so, is it worth trying it set to 8 to see what happens? Have you contacted the company for support? Seems a little strange TBH.

RedZep

thanks for the replies.
9 is on the cusp of combustion. So it's probably just your flower. New strain, or it's dryer than it was.

I run mine at 3, but sometimes I get a strain that needs 4 to get good vapour.

If you like vaping at the very edge of combustion, you have to accept sometimes other variables will tilt you over the edge.

So you can put it in the cupboard or you can change it to 8 for now. I personally think one of those is vastly more sane than the other.

Ganjora

love the device, just not combusting.
have an anvil which i also love - it reliably delivers 'punch in the face' type hits .
was getting those from the TM2, for a couple of days, but then..
appreciate that there are many variables, and have been working my way through several strains, so thanks, points taken.
done all the research, the TM2 is the one for me - it was delivered with all the spares, water pipe attachments etc etc.
just get very bad tempered when things don't work properly/perfectly.
have cleaned it, charged all the batteries, done all the housework.
will definitely get to it again, un-irritated.

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Yeah, unless there is something wrong with your device, I'm sure you will be able to adjust your methods (variables) to make the device work well for you. As you are hearing, many if not most of us think very highly of this vape, and I expect you will as well once you get it down.
That being said, if there is something wrong, Tinymight has been very efficient on handling repairs, and the device has a 10 year warranty.

Shivam

Buyer beware!
Guess I forgot to post here, sorry. Anyway, open for questions if anyone needs clarifications or help when using the album posted by facepalm. It does look like the air passes over the pcb, through the heater, but at that point the air is room temp.

RedZep

Guess I forgot to post here, sorry. Anyway, open for questions if anyone needs clarifications or help when using the album posted by facepalm. It does look like the air passes over the pcb, through the heater, but at that point the air is room temp.
The only concern raised that bothers me is the aluminium dust that gathers on the O-ring. Only notice it when I remove the O-ring. So hopefully it never gets into the vape path anyway.

Not even sure it is aluminium dust.

RedZep,

florduh

It does look like the air passes over the pcb

If I'm recalling correctly, someone tested this with the original TM. While the PCB wasn't sealed off from the rest of the airpath, the air isn't directly being drawn over/through the PCB board.

florduh,
Reactions: Cheebsy

gangababa

The TM 2 air path is isolated from the PCB board, by the metal heater unit base that plugs the bore in the wood body.

Could air enter the USB C port, travel around the PCB, work its way up either or both the second screw and tool bores in the wood, squeeze between the top cap and the wood body, and then join the free and easy air path from top plate holes to space below heater (above metal plate), sealed between the wood bore and the glass tubes, sealed with O-rings?

Perhaps.

Last edited:

florduh

Could air enter the USB C port, travel around the PCB, work its way up either or both the second screw and tool bores in the wood, squeeze between the top cap and the wood body, and then join the free and easy air path from top plate holes to space below heater (above metal plate), sealed between the wood bore and the glass tubes, sealed with O-rings.

Honestly, I can't get too worried about hypothetically inhaling room temp PCB fumes when I spend my nights in a 300 sq/foot hotel room, using a gaming laptop that sounds like a F-18 taking off as the fans cool a 160 °F GPU.

Top Bottom