TinyMight / TM 2

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Not if it makes the threads harder to screw given the complaints.

No, what I mean is – there's no way around it: aluminum automatically creates an oxide layer that is actually *harder* than aluminum, so preventing that (and I'm not even sure if that would work the way suggested here) would prevent that natural hardening process.

Passivation, in physical chemistry and engineering, refers to a material becoming "passive," that is, less affected or corroded by the environment of future use. Passivation involves creation of an outer layer of shield material that is applied as a microcoating, created by chemical reaction with the base material, or allowed to build from spontaneous oxidation in the air. As a technique, passivation is the use of a light coat of a protective material, such as metal oxide, to create a shell against corrosion.[1] Passivation can occur only in certain conditions, and is used in microelectronics to enhance silicon.[2] The technique of passivation strengthens and preserves the appearance of metallics. In electrochemical treatment of water, passivation reduces the effectiveness of the treatment by increasing the circuit resistance, and active measures are typically used to overcome this effect, the most common being polarity reversal, which results in limited rejection of the fouling layer. Other proprietary systems to avoid electrode passivation, several discussed below, are the subject of ongoing research and development.

When exposed to air, many metals naturally form a hard, relatively inert surface, as in the tarnish of silver. In the case of other metals, such as iron, a somewhat rough porous coating is formed from loosely adherent corrosion products. In this case, a substantial amount of metal is removed, which is either deposited or dissolved in the environment. Corrosion coating reduces the rate of corrosion by varying degrees, depending on the kind of base metal and its environment, and is notably slower in room-temperature air for aluminium, chromium, zinc, titanium, and silicon (a metalloid). The shell of corrosion product inhibits deeper corrosion, and operates as one form of passivation. The inert surface layer, termed the "native oxide layer", is usually an oxide or a nitride, with a thickness of a monolayer of 0.1-0.3 nm (1-3 Å) for a noble metal such as platinum, about 1.5 nm (15 Å) for silicon, and nearer to 5 nm (50 Å) for aluminium after several years.[3][4][5]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passivation_(chemistry)

Siebter,
Reactions: Bad Dog

Djsleepy

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
No, what I mean is – there's no way around it: aluminum automatically creates an oxide layer that is actually *harder* than aluminum, so preventing that (and I'm not even sure if that would work the way suggested here) would prevent that natural hardening process.
We are WAY out of my area. I'm just saying that anything that may build up on the threads might make it harder to thread.
YOU ARE SO TM !!!!!! Dead Giveaway.
I don't know if you are kidding or actually calling a member a shill. If the latter, cut it out. We have rules against that.

cybrguy,

Djsleepy

We are WAY out of my area. I'm just saying that anything that may build up on the threads might make it harder to thread.

I don't know if you are kidding or actually calling a member a shill. If the latter, cut it out. We have rules against that.

ok why are you coming down on me I was just saying what at least two Other people said or inferred last night.

Just apply lightly, use a QTip.
So the 767 is ok? I don’t Want to buy a millineum’s worth of the 779 lol!

Last edited:
Djsleepy,

SquirrelMaster

OMG. That was it. Thank you very much. You have brought....sniff... me back...sniff... to operational OK status.
thank-you-word-cloud-600w-223560316.jpg

p.s. Ordered my backup unit Sep. 10th: the wait continues.....
I have definitely done that a few times :D. Easy fixes are the best .

What puzzles me: aluminum creates an oxide layer due to passivation, which makes it resist further corrosion – isn't that something we actually want?
Yes but then the resistance increases so the device has to work harder and in some cases can't keep up. With a clean at that contact points some of these devices are back up and running. I'm not an electrical engineer so the degree to which the oxidization affects current transmission is not my area of expertise but current will be obstructed. If only 1 or 2 cleaned the device and it fixed their heating issue I wouldn't be so convinced but it's at least 6. A medical grade anti-oxidant would prevent oxidization, be safe near the air path and keep devices running longer without the need for a clean if someone seems to have a problematic unit. Thats the cheapest and easiest solution if this becomes a problem for more people. I clean my lid and negative terminal of the cell and I haven't had issues.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
RustyOldNail,

Siebter

Less soul, more mind
Yes but then the resistance increases so the device has to work harder and in some cases can't keep up. With a clean at that contact points some of these devices are back up and running. I'm not an electrical engineer so the degree to which the oxidization affects current transmission is not my area of expertise but current will be obstructed. If only 1 or 2 cleaned the device and it fixed their heating issue I wouldn't be so convinced but it's at least 6. A medical grade anti-oxidant would prevent oxidization, be safe near the air path and keep devices running longer without the need for a clean if someone seems to have a problematic unit. Thats the cheapest and easiest solution if this becomes a problem for more people. I clean my lid and negative terminal of the cell and I haven't had issues.

Aluminum creates an oxide layer as soon as it comes in contact with air, so I'm pretty sure it's not a question of oxidization, but simply keeping the contacts clean in general.

YOU ARE SO TM !!!!!! Dead Giveaway.

Dude, take a step back and contemplate for a minute.

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
Definitely kidding and I made the same joke earlier but someone else suggested it. We all know @Siebter is one of tinymights greatest cheerleaders, you only need to read a few pages of the thread to see his presence. I don't think anyone really thinks he is the maker, Ville ...... whoever imo that dog won't hunt.

Djsleepy

I’m sorry I even made the joke. I don’t know who is or care who is the owner , I haven’t got mine yet as we know. I think we all want the same thing a long running consistent vape with good CS, but most of us know how small his business is and Probably struggling due to Covid. With that said I wouldn’t have gotten A unit without this thread selling it to me first. That’s one of things the forum is supposed to be about IMO

Djsleepy,

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I think I'm done here.
I didn't mean to offend you with that but if I did I apologize. Your knowledge about the device is top shelf and your enthusiasm is contagious and you've been very helpful in best practices. Your always here trying to give the best advice to everyone and I find that admirable. Don't let some toolbag like me get the best of you especially when no offence was ment

RustyOldNail

I think I'm done here.

Don’t leave, just take a step back like I’m doing.

Too many repetitive questions, no one bothers to learn the forum “search” features which are quite good. You can actually search in a specific thread, by user or text. I’m done posting the same advice over and over to the same questions. I like to help when I can, but it’s not my full time job. This site needs a user blog type feature where one could point back to with information you have already shared. In minutes or hours this post will SCROLL by, and be forgotten. For those that have time to respond to every post, you are better then me, or are retired....

If you look at the master member list and those actually logged in, you will notice how many are gone or inactive. While some of this may be do to the forum switching sites, etc. that was awhile ago.

Vaporware

This thread’s had a lot of issues and they started early on, and I don’t agree with you on everything @Siebter , but you’ve contributed a lot to the thread and I hope you continue to (after a break if you need it).

I’ve especially appreciated your recent messages which were clearly accepting and trying to understand people’s problems, and your willingness to help everyone here when you can.

...and if you were working for the company in any way, I’m sure you would have got the people you’ve been taking to here taken care of, so I hope no one actually believes that.

bgrpph

to update results from yesterday-After a week + of having issue with the vibration working very sporatically- i cleaned battery threads with elec contact cleaner- did not fix. Yesterday, i took apart top/bottom of my unit cause vibration wasn't working when turning on/off or installing battery. I put haptic vibration piece back correctly into silicone on bottom alum piece of unit as per pic on pg 263 here.

Last night the vibration worked perfectly every time i turned unit on/off or put in a battery- So taking apart top/bottom cleaning edges & insuring the haptic thingy was inserted correctly seems to have fixed my TM so it vibrates normally- seems to have a stronger vibration now also. Alls good for now.

It seems the haptic piece that vibrates & is installed in a thin silicone holder attached to botton of TM had dislodged a bit from the silicone & wasn't inserted properly. Initially i put it back together but put haptic piece in silicone wrong way. Took it apart again, as it wasn't vibrating -then i saw pic on pg 263 that showed how haptic piece sits in the silicone. Once i put it back in correctly, its vibrating normally every time i use it.

To those w vibration issues, it maybe worth a try to CAREFULLY take top/botton apart & ck to see that haptic thingy is installed correctly in the silicone on botton piece, then clean top/botton & contacts. It looks like a major drop or hard knock could cause haptic thingy to move in the silicone holder & cause vibration issues.

Though i don't seem to need a repair now as vibration working normally (at least it did last night)-We'll see how long it takes to get response from TM maker to my return request that i processed on the TM site few days ago. hope this helps folks

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Aluminum creates an oxide layer as soon as it comes in contact with air, so I'm pretty sure it's not a question of oxidization, but simply keeping the contacts clean in general.
That's why I always twist my battery cover into a piece of paper or paper towel when I switch cells. If other parts require cleaning that require the device to be disassembled like some are reporting then an antioxidant gel should be applied before they leave Tinymight. It still seems a little odd, why are devices that were just made requiring a cleaning at those points while most others have worked fine for months.

I don't remember if I mentioned this but could the few random taller bodies going out be causing issues if the metal strip isn't as tight against the metal caps so oxidization occurs easily? I might be completely out to lunch with that idea.

Djsleepy

I don't remember if I mentioned this but could the few random taller bodies going out be causing issues if the metal strip isn't as tight against the metal caps so oxidization occurs easily? I might be completely out to lunch with that idea.
Interesting perspective.... to me makes sense. I had a loose battery terminal that oxidized really bad . I cleaned and retightened no more residue.

RustyOldNail

Interesting perspective.... to me makes sense. I had a loose battery terminal that oxidized really bad . I cleaned and retightened no more residue.

You are 100% correct, that’s why I cringe when I see advice to only loosely tighten a battery connection. Resistance and oxidation. But, I think we tend to forget, all our various devices create fine vapor, that like dust, eventually get on and coats the surfaces in places you might not think of. While maybe not the main factor of TM issues, over time it can add up. I don’t believe the TM needs any constant attention, but taking the time to wipe off surfaces with some ISO, would be smart.

Djsleepy

You are 100% correct, that’s why I cringe when I see advice to only loosely tighten a battery connection. Resistance and oxidation. But, I think we tend to forget, all our various devices create fine vapor, that like dust, eventually get on and coats the surfaces in places you might not think of. While maybe not the main factor of TM issues, over time it can add up. I don’t believe the TM needs any constant attention, but taking the time to wipe off surfaces with some ISO, would be smart.
I was also told when I got new battery that oxidation buildup also can dry out a cell or two and shorten battery life due it having to pull harder to make good connection.

ps if you ever have to do the coke trick to clean cables ,make sure and clean Your cables and around post the right way as soon as you can don’t leave the coke on there to dry!

Djsleepy,
Reactions: macbill

RustyOldNail

I was also told when I got new battery that oxidation buildup also can dry out a cell or two and shorten battery life.

ps if you ever have to do the coke trick to clean cables ,make sure and clean Your cables and around post the right way as soon as you can don’t leave the coke on there to dry!

I gave up on COKE, long ago....
BTW: Don’t get too wound up on 18650 battery life, they are now relatively cheap even for the good ones. I leave the included VTC6 in my TM, and internally charge to avoid the badly chosen screw in battery cap. Since I have meters that can tell me both the mAh and IR, I’ll know in a year or so depending on usage if it’s time to replace. I use an external charger for all my other devices, for added safety and less heat when charging. Point is, folks get crazy about battery like, but we love devices that allow you to swap, so use em up and enjoy.

This advice is NOT applicable if you use a device for traveling, and you need to swap. In that case be super careful with battery cap screwing. I knew this was a potential issue before I bought it, as I’m all too familiar with all the various battery caps on my large collection of ecig devices. The screw on cap was left behind long ago for all the reasons you now see reported.

angular ocelot

this is going to sound weird but i actually slightly enjoy cleaning and using the battery lid. i do it unnecessarily between battery changes sometimes. i will be listening to music or half watching something after just blasting through a stem and i start off playing with the little lump of blu tack ive got in my tray. rolling it round between my fingers, then rolling it into a sausage, then i think might as well clean that lid again and off it comes. then i sit here stoned, wrapping the sausage round the threads, seeing how far i can go. when i meet the beginning i underlap, lifting the back edge while rolling the sausage as far as i can push it.
i love the feel when i put the cap back on and turn it back til that little click then turn it, get the buzz, then that little bit more til the slot points at the tube and the top surface is nice and flush. i find this all very pleasurable. even the shape and size and feel in the hand gives me pleasure, just turning it my palm.

apologies to anyone reading that with knackered threads, im not trying to wind anyone up, my heart genuinely goes out to you. anyone who ever screwed anything has cross threaded something at somepoint and to have it happen with something you can be depending on for medical reasons must be gutting and definitely should be something people are aware of as a possibility.

however, when it is all nice and clean with good threads it is a joy. mind you i did work in engineering for over thirty years and using metal threads usually popped up in one form or another in my daily work life so i am very familiar and careful with threads to a degree most people probably arent.

RustyOldNail

this is going to sound weird but i actually slightly enjoy cleaning and using the battery lid. i do it unnecessarily between battery changes sometimes. i will be listening to music or half watching something after just blasting through a stem and i start off playing with the little lump of blu tack ive got in my tray. rolling it round between my fingers, then rolling it into a sausage, then i think might as well clean that lid again and off it comes. then i sit here stoned, wrapping the sausage round the threads, seeing how far i can go. when i meet the beginning i underlap, lifting the back edge while rolling the sausage as far as i can push it.
i love the feel when i put the cap back on and turn it back til that little click then turn it, get the buzz, then that little bit more til the slot points at the tube and the top surface is nice and flush. i find this all very pleasurable. even the shape and size and feel in the hand gives me pleasure, just turning it my palm.

apologies to anyone reading that with knackered threads, im not trying to wind anyone up, my heart genuinely goes out to you. anyone who ever screwed anything has cross threaded something at somepoint and to have it happen with something you can be depending on for medical reasons must be gutting and definitely should be something people are aware of as a possibility.

however, when it is all nice and clean with good threads it is a joy. mind you i did work in engineering for over thirty years and using metal threads usually popped up in one form or another in my daily work life so i am very familiar and careful with threads to a degree most people probably arent.

I’ve just edited my living “will”, and hereby bequest ALL my electronic devices with screw on battery caps to you. ENJOY!

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
Speaking of aluminum threads, are you y'all in favor of putting a tiny amount of vaseline on them? I believe someone suggested that at some point but I never did try it myself.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I was just saying what at least two Other people said or inferred last night.

One of those people was actually posing as two members performing some sock-puppetry and they have both now been banned for having multiple accounts.

I don't think anyone really thinks he is the maker, Ville

I hope not. I can confirm that @Siebter is not Ville. If anyone thinks another member is a shill, please report them to the staff. As you can see we don't take kindly to people that attempt to decieve FC members.

Thank you.

:peace:

Top Bottom