TinyMight / TM 2

MoltenTiger

switch is poorly mounted to the board
It appears there's no Through Hole soldering applied to the TM2
images

The PCB Bottom side just has the battery spring and heater assembly, Top side is all Surface Mount components - so a much weaker mount for the switch, which has unsoldered pins passing through slots on the board.

I only use Session mode where two pushes and a short hold over many thousands of cycles is much less fatiguing on the switch than using On Demand for equivalent entire run times.

Overall I think the PCB is beyond amateur, it's fairly considered and iterated. It should be cheap to reinforce the switch housing with hand soldering but some labour cost has been saved. Wave soldering just for the button has been decided against, and now they've had to fix the button issue due to the number of failures in the field. It's not a PCB issue but an assembly oversight or bad cost cutting decision.

They've addressed this and other design failures in all devices going forward, not to mention their electronics and software seem outlandishly robust generally.
Recalibration and flawless long term usage has been very enjoyable, and common?

Button issues are likely fast-tracked if using On Demand mode as the switch is eventually desoldering at the SMD pads, and hopefully not ripping up the copper pads themselves. It's something to consider addressing if you have an older TM2 perhaps, as is being gentle.
Although user repair looks simple enough, or it can be warrantied if failure occurs during the warranty period... Obviously the techs have seen and handled enough so TM have made efforts to prevent ongoing returns.
A couple dabs of solder could probably mitigate issues for a long, long time with the pictured older design.
Jamming up the gap to the USB-C connector so the switch won't flex as much will help (although some force is then transferred to the USB-C SMD pads, and that component is also not TH soldered or very secure and users have had problems with flex/dry joints there too). I would think more robust soldering would have been cheap at scale and this issue should have been foreseen. TH soldering the pins/housing is typically how a 90° switch package like this is assembled, these switches are super common.
But on a list of potential issues, vape-wise it's quite a good one (fast, cheap and easy to deal with for the user or company), so their business sense seems decent and their electronics closer to that than most. Especially now button fragility has been addressed. Though it's a bit silly that it had to be.
With the 2 year / 10 year warranty offered... it might be worth saving a hassle before failure for those of us with OG TM2s. It will fail eventually if it's continued to be used. Had a similar thing with the DC Jack in my Sublimator Monkey Controller slowly failing and breaking off.
Good EEs are busy elsewhere, it's a shame.
But the difference is only experience, and TM have been savvy enough to clock up a fair bit and put it to work.

images

babyskunk

Is there a way to tell if my TM2 board was upgraded when I sent it in for button repair? I’m trying to sell it and don’t want to tell the buyer incorrect information

babyskunk,

kiddvudu2

Is there a way to tell if my TM2 board was upgraded when I sent it in for button repair? I’m trying to sell it and don’t want to tell the buyer incorrect information
I would email support and ask. They're pretty good with responding.

kiddvudu2,

HighTime

Only have TM2 but fwiw i don't think it's harsh at all or at least it doesn't have to be, even with the stock setup. (used the stock stem/empty CU for a long time with great results, low on the dial it produces great flavor and big clouds)

But, the new style stems that came with my PH unit (and i think with all TM2 from now on?) are really a nice addition and sure smoothen things out. The glass beads do an excellent job in cooling/conditioning the vapor. In fact so cool and smooth that it's easy to take bigger rips then expected if not careful! Caught me off guard a couple of times! :ko::D

And i like that you're able to tinker with the balls/stems/cu's/mp's to find your perfect stem set up!
Here's what i threw together so far:

Smooth yet thick clouds: Check!
I usually tempstep but also like to start high on the dial now and again... For an ultra quick bowl.
Well, these stems are great for both styles and can be very tasty but also allow one to rip thru a bowl natively at warp speed promoting the "ripper/ripster" (?) to a First Class Cloudage passenger!

The shorty is excellent for a one hitter, high on the dial! One and done!
The two in the middle are my average sized bowls and can be nursed or ripped with great results!
The one with the biggest bowl is great for tempstepping and easily cooks evenly throughout without any stirring!
It's a big bowl tho... can be a bit of a sledge hammer...

TM2 really is a Tiny Monster, such a great and versatile vape!
For these set-ups, do you use the slightly larger cu o-ring (that is usually placed on the upper part of the cu in the standard configuration) on the lower part of the cu to keep it from sliding more easily? Thanks.

HighTime,

666Honeybadger

Unknown member
do you use the slightly larger cu o-ring (that is usually placed on the upper part of the cu in the standard configuration) on the lower part of the cu to keep it from sliding more easily?
:tup:
Exactly!
Since the CU basically is two identical pieces i take out the central screws so i just use the 'tubes' and only use a screen on the bottom parts

Last edited:

Dampfmaschine

So has anyone else found their purple heart to be way harsher and hotter than the previous tinymight's?

Feeling disappointed here with a sore throat! i usually run on a 6/7 i cant turn this past 1.5!!! its insane

Anyone else? or do i have a defect?

Dampfmaschine,
  • Wow
Reactions: Dr. G

fretless

So has anyone else found their purple heart to be way harsher and hotter than the previous tinymight's?

Feeling disappointed here with a sore throat! i usually run on a 6/7 i cant turn this past 1.5!!! its insane

I had a similar experience, my PH ran very hot compared to my original TM2. I had to re-calibrate it down two levels, now it is back to sanity, but I still run it one notch lower than the earlier one.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I haven’t had a chance to do a true one-for-one comparison with all things being equal, including stem, temp, battery, etc. I don’t run either above 4.5-5 either as I’ve grown accustomed to low temp enjoyment to avoid that same very thing - harshness and throat irritation. I rarely go through water so it’s usually a dry use method with various stems (and a seldom used Sherlock stem). Observationally, my purpleheart runs a bit cooler than my OG TM in that the first draw is usually a bit weaker than subsequent draws with the PH. However ive only used the newer TM stems (tapered mouthpiece with 3mm balls) with my PH and not the stock stem with CU (sans nuts & washers which I’ve not used with my OG TM in a couple of years). I’ve also noticed the PH gets a bit warmer than my TM too. More testing needs to be done of course.

I’m still in love with the color of the PH, and the knurled battery door is a game changer for me functionally. I use on-demand mode 99% of the time and the button on the PH is working well, no issues nor have I ever had an issue with it on my TM. I’d be curious of others’ initial observations. I’ve been away on a mini vacation but did not bring either Tinymight with me and looking forward to using either, or both, tonight when I get home. :peace:

Suki

I don't have the original TM2 but I run my PH TM2 at 5, I get the same abv I get with my B1 at 635F, I feel it's the best temp for flavor / effects. Native I take 1 or 2 bigs hits, I only use basket screen and I simply fill the basket screen (I don't push it further down the stem)

I don't find the vapor to be harsh but that is with proper cooling

Here is a pic of what my abv looks like

vawawk.jpg

I've been using my TM2 a lot with Tinymigh.t_bowl and herborizer bubbler lately, the restriction is just right, perfect combo for me

Dampfmaschine

Ok i
I had a similar experience, my PH ran very hot compared to my original TM2. I had to re-calibrate it down two levels, now it is back to sanity, but I still run it one notch lower than the earlier one.
just tried this and whilst it is a bit better there is still a really really harsh catch to the inhale that wasn't present on my other two. a real shame!!!

i have been in touch with tinymight who have said maybe im allergic to purple heart -so i can send it in for a swap to walnut but im pretty bummed out to be honest. the walnut is considerably cheaper than the PH and i already had one.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Ok i

just tried this and whilst it is a bit better there is still a really really harsh catch to the inhale that wasn't present on my other two. a real shame!!!

i have been in touch with tinymight who have said maybe im allergic to purple heart -so i can send it in for a swap to walnut but im pretty bummed out to be honest. the walnut is considerably cheaper than the PH and i already had one.

Yes purple heart wood is a sensitizer, depends on the person, usually only a real problem when you are working it with the sawdust, but personally I can always taste the difference in my units that use full purpleheart as well, it is honestly quite far from a truly neutral wood unfortunately

kapows

Hello

I have a grav stem, which i believe is 16mm

I wish to pair it with the two bubblers below

What do i need to ensure a good fit and good airflow? The tall bubbler is available in 14 or 18mm and the round one is 14mm. For now, it has to be these two only so need to understand best way to fit?

All advice appreciated

kapows,

Shit Snacks

Hello

What do i need to ensure a good fit and good airflow? The tall bubbler is available in 14 or 18mm and the round one is 14mm. For now, it has to be these two only so need to understand best way to fit?

All advice appreciated

They don't fit... 16 mm is not a standard glass on glass connection fitting, but I guess you could try using silicone tubing with it?

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: kapows

kapows

They don't fit... 16 mm is not a standard glass on glass connection fitting, but I guess you could try using silicone tubing with it?
Would a glass converter/adaptor do? Like, 18mm male to female kinda thing?

Or any good silicone reccos?

Cheers!

kapows,
Reactions: Cheebsy

Cheebsy

Microbe minion
I'm afraid you'll probably want a proper WPA.

You can use a little piece of silicone tubing over the end of the stock stem to act as seal in the 18mm female GonG but you'll need to hold it there while you hit it.

666Honeybadger

Unknown member

Also thought it would be a matter of calibration since you said 'harsher and hotter' but since you still have the "harsh" issue after recalibrating must be something else?
I have both walnut and purpleheart and to me there's no noticable difference in the smoothness of the vapor, they might be calibrated slightly different but perform and deliver the same tbh.

How long have you been using it?
I did pick up a smell at first (i think the wood or some wax) but that quickly dissipated, since then it has been smooth sailing!

Maybe like they say a matter of sensitivity for the wood?
Sure is a shame indeed.
But otoh: since you didn't have these issues with your walnut i would take the offer to swap it out if it doesn't get any better for you. I'm sure they will add some goodies (or maybe refund) to make up for the difference (€50?).

Couldn't imagine being without a TM personally so i'm a little prejudiced probably...;)
Hell, if i would be without and they only made it in plywood i'd probably still buy one... :D
Jokes aside: the essence for me is the performance of the TM(2), choice of woods is cool but if there was only walnut available then my backups would be walnut, that's all.
Hope you find a satisfying solution, good luck!

Shit Snacks

Would a glass converter/adaptor do? Like, 18mm male to female kinda thing?

Or any good silicone reccos?

Cheers!

Yeah what you want is the WPA, water pipe adapter, in my experience this one ideally:

badbee

Hello

All advice appreciated

16 mm is the correct size for the straight stem that goes into a TM. I'm unclear what you mean by using a stem (what kind of stem?) with a bubbler. Generally you use a stem or a water pipe adapter (WPA) and bubbler. A WPA for the TM is just a straight 16 mm stem with a ground glass fitting on the other end.

If you show a picture of that stem and explain how you want to use it things will be more clear.

badbee,
Reactions: kapows

Dampfmaschine

Also thought it would be a matter of calibration since you said 'harsher and hotter' but since you still have the "harsh" issue after recalibrating must be something else?
I have both walnut and purpleheart and to me there's no noticable difference in the smoothness of the vapor, they might be calibrated slightly different but perform and deliver the same tbh.

How long have you been using it?
I did pick up a smell at first (i think the wood or some wax) but that quickly dissipated, since then it has been smooth sailing!

Maybe like they say a matter of sensitivity for the wood?
Sure is a shame indeed.
But otoh: since you didn't have these issues with your walnut i would take the offer to swap it out if it doesn't get any better for you. I'm sure they will add some goodies (or maybe refund) to make up for the difference (€50?).

Couldn't imagine being without a TM personally so i'm a little prejudiced probably...;)
Hell, if i would be without and they only made it in plywood i'd probably still buy one... :D
Jokes aside: the essence for me is the performance of the TM(2), choice of woods is cool but if there was only walnut available then my backups would be walnut, that's all.
Hope you find a satisfying solution, good luck!
thanks for your response. i have been using it today and maybe its getting a little better. its hard to tell. i have a friend who has one coming too so im going to review his unit. could swap for a walnut - its a shame i wanted to like the new heater. i would say today its a bit better - had to calibrate it down two steps as suggested - weirdly it seems to be mellowing. but there is still a "taste" to it that isnt there with the other TM's ive used - guessing its the wood

tinymight could not have been more helpful really. theyre an amazing company.

as for being without one? never! i couldn't live without it. thats why my TM1 is still very much looked after as a cherished backup

Suki

thanks for your response. i have been using it today and maybe its getting a little better. its hard to tell. i have a friend who has one coming too so im going to review his unit. could swap for a walnut - its a shame i wanted to like the new heater. i would say today its a bit better - had to calibrate it down two steps as suggested - weirdly it seems to be mellowing. but there is still a "taste" to it that isnt there with the other TM's ive used - guessing its the wood

tinymight could not have been more helpful really. theyre an amazing company.

as for being without one? never! i couldn't live without it. thats why my TM1 is still very much looked after as a cherished backup
Yes purple heart wood is a sensitizer, depends on the person, usually only a real problem when you are working it with the sawdust, but personally I can always taste the difference in my units that use full purpleheart as well, it is honestly quite far from a truly neutral wood unfortunately
Hey a bit late but you should try applying beeswax on it, my PH TM2 had quite a distinctive smell when it arrived (it's the wood, personally I don't think it stinks but the odor is less pleasant than some other woods, I can understand how it could bother some), it was very present the first few days then I received some beeswax that I applied on it, not only it made it look even better but I feel like it made the smell go away too. It has now been about two weeks since I got the unit and I cannot smell the purple heart anymore even when putting my nose directly on the wood itself.

The_M

Not sure if this is the right place, but I've recently obtained an XTAR VC2 charger and two spare Molicel P28As for my vape and I'm wondering if there's any tips or things I need to know about battery charging in relation to this specific device. For example, the dials on the device etc.
Ty for any help!
I charge via device itself, it is much faster due to 2A current compared to external chargers where 2a goes for 2 batteries.

Same i do for the wand, and other devices (lights, etc) with batteries, external charging only in case i need to use device and charge spare batteries

The_M,
Reactions: sedentree

Rodney

Not sure if this is the right place, but I've recently obtained an XTAR VC2 charger and two spare Molicel P28As for my vape and I'm wondering if there's any tips or things I need to know about battery charging in relation to this specific device. For example, the dials on the device etc.
Ty for any help!

I have the same charger and it works well. Best to use an ink marker and mark 1 2 3 on each battery and use them equally. Also as the charger we have is the slow charger it is supposed to be better for the lifetime of the batteries and as we have 3 battery the slower charging is not a problem ever.

Varden

Depends on the charger model. Good ones can do 2 amps on several battery slots, mine can do 3 amps, but I rarely use that option. External chargers with open air slots also keep the batteries cooler while charging.
Plus, using an external charger with multiple batteries and charging slower will keep the batteries in good shape for longer. My battery charger can charge up to 3A, but I always set it up to charge at 1A.

Top Bottom