Discontinued ThermoVape Evolution

JoeKickass

I will put it on EVO once I'm back to testing.

OF says he's been using his evo lv on his tomv and has some theory to back up why he believes it's safe. I'll admit I had been using the same combo without too much difficulty too so I'm inclined to go with him... just don't let your tomv top get too warm

JoeKickass,

2clicker

Observer
With that said, aluminum foil batt spacer + 18350 AW IMR= safe/ok? Or just order a 18650 and put testing off for a few days.
Thanks for all the help OF!

good to know we can use a foil "dummy" cell as ive got four 3.7V 18350s laying around. maybe ill try that combo in my Detonator and see how it powers my LV Evo.

regarding cells... check out this page. they carry just about every AW cell. the IMRs and others. OF, why are the IMR cells better than the 17670 that comes with the Evo kits? are the IMR version of their cells safer or something?

http://www.supertmanufacturing.com/id75.html

check out the first cell in that link. they are AW IMR 18650 3.7V 2000mAh cells. these are better than the AW 17670s offered from TV...?

2clicker,

OF

OF says he's been using his evo lv on his tomv and has some theory to back up why he believes it's safe. I'll admit I had been using the same combo without too much difficulty too so I'm inclined to go with him... just don't let your tomv top get too warm

Ya caught me out here Joe, I only tried it out, I didn't run it seriously on the Persei (I wanted to see if the over current circuit would allow the load....it does). So I just pulled it out (I've been using the TV battery) and mounted the unit. With a full charge (worst case) I did a 4.5 minute run (that's 50% more hits than a bowl taken back to back with no breaks). Temperature was no worries as far as I'm concerned. Go for it. I'm sure G would rather you were using his herb cart and all, but he's selling one tough machine it looks like.

HTH.

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Joe, you just threw me through a loop... I thought I had this all figured out... So a certain TOMV, is NOT sufficient to run the LV EVO?confused...please help me comprehend.
I am also starting to believe "any 3.7 w/o cut off" Needs to be changed. My EGO batt is questionable after 30 sec push(IIRC, tim said you would just have to cycle your buttons w/cut off), clicker killed a DA, IIRC there was 1 more already. Can we get some "specs" that are needed to run the LV EVO @ full power. I am very concerned about 2Clicker's DA, that Joe speculated that it could go boom!!??
Testing on pause for now...
Edit: Not ment as attack on TV at all, just pure, honest concerns.

I also killed my ego passthrough battery on the Evo... it's DEAD. Mentioned this a couple of pages back... might be good to mention this on the site so other people don't waste ego batteries to find out it won't work due to limitations in the ego style batteries. It is apparent that just any 3.7v battery will not do the job...

jambandphan03,
Reactions: rufrothy

JoeKickass

Ya caught me out here Joe, I only tried it out, I didn't run it seriously on the Persei (I wanted to see if the over current circuit would allow the load....it does). So I just pulled it out (I've been using the TV battery) and mounted the unit. With a full charge (worst case) I did a 4.5 minute run (that's 50% more hits than a bowl taken back to back with no breaks). Temperature was no worries as far as I'm concerned. Go for it. I'm sure G would rather you were using his herb cart and all, but he's selling one tough machine it looks like.

HTH.

OF

Yup that's a pretty confidence inspiring test! But when you mentioned you ran about a 50% duty cycle was that for the regular version or the low voltage? I'm about to test the lv with a full 14500 in an ultra and have been used to almost 100% on...

JoeKickass,

JoeKickass

Just had a very satisfying bowl with my ultra!

Just enough ground bud to cover the bottom, and 2-3x as much ground bubble hash on top, maybe a third to a half of the total volume. Gave it a good long 35s warm up and it responded with such thick vapor that I actually took OF's advice and backed off. Vapor continued for a good 4-5s before starting to thin out. All-in-all I got about 3-4 very nice hits before... now the bad part, it got way too hot!

I know I only have a little ultra but from my experiences with this last bowl, I think it can be modified to really work. The ultra's 14500 imr has the power and a decent amount of capacity (went from full to 3.77v on this last bowl)... the only thing that needs changing is how it handles the heat.

And here is my idea thermovape, take it or leave it, but you have a good history of listening to feedback so here's mine: an insulating adapter.

510 to 510, kind of like your universal adapter but with more teflon or insulation.

I get the choice of brass for the evo base but it transfers heat like a mofo and for this application I think we want to keep as much heat as we can in the evo. My idea came from the fact that when I use the evo on the persei with the universal adapter I notice the top heats up much less.

I like the performance and form factor of my ultra and really want to see what the evo can do at full power when I don't have to worry about being burnt. I think I could probably use a cheapy ecig extender but I just thought that if TV put their minds to it they could come out with a shorter, more insulating option.

Any opinions?

I also killed my ego passthrough battery on the Evo... it's DEAD. Mentioned this a couple of pages back... might be good to mention this on the site so other people don't waste ego batteries to find out it won't work due to limitations in the ego style batteries. It is apparent that just any 3.7v battery will not do the job...
Another one bites the dust.... Yeah, that is all I'm asking, is something on the site. Us "well informed", who read forums and research tools we want to use, should and do know better. On the other hand there is also a bunch of lemmings that buy, screw and vape away. Everyone benefits from a little extra info.

havealight101,
Reactions: OF

OF

Yup that's a pretty confidence inspiring test! But when you mentioned you ran about a 50% duty cycle was that for the regular version or the low voltage? I'm about to test the lv with a full 14500 in an ultra and have been used to almost 100% on...

I think I got it Joe, it's not the test above but the lifespan test of T1 against Evolution which was at 50% duty cycle, right? That was a LV which was the model being asked about as I recall.

That what you wanted to know?

I would have no problem with the test you plan. Expect it to get real hot. I wouldn't do it more than once in a while at most, it's not useful and the battery is not going to like it.....

But hey, them IMRs are tough customers. Be sure to watch it so you can key it off when the battery fails, you don't want to discharge it too far really.

Good luck.

OF

OF,

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
as a persei owner w/ both large and small 3.7 imr batts
and the green 3v from THC, which would you suggest for me,
HV or LV version. which preferred voltage setup for which resistance?
Question if aimed in the general direction of OF, but for any other
persei/flower cart owners

Bob Loblaw,
Reactions: rufrothy

JoeKickass

I think I got it Joe, it's not the test above but the lifespan test of T1 against Evolution which was at 50% duty cycle, right? That was a LV which was the model being asked about as I recall.

That what you wanted to know?

I would have no problem with the test you plan. Expect it to get real hot. I wouldn't do it more than once in a while at most, it's not useful and the battery is not going to like it.....

But hey, them IMRs are tough customers. Be sure to watch it so you can key it off when the battery fails, you don't want to discharge it too far really.

Good luck.

OF

I was asking what specific method you did when you used your evo, but I think I hadn't been letting it heat up enough. (so I was always playing catch up, holding it on but drawing too early) And also up until my latest sesh I had been packing the bowl to the brim which I'm thinking increased the needed heat up time even more so...

JoeKickass,

OF

Just had a very satisfying bowl with my ultra!

Just enough ground bud to cover the bottom, and 2-3x as much ground bubble hash on top, maybe a third to a half of the total volume. Gave it a good long 35s warm up and it responded with such thick vapor that I actually took OF's advice and backed off. Vapor continued for a good 4-5s before starting to thin out. All-in-all I got about 3-4 very nice hits before... now the bad part, it got way too hot!

I know I only have a little ultra but from my experiences with this last bowl, I think it can be modified to really work. The ultra's 14500 imr has the power and a decent amount of capacity (went from full to 3.77v on this last bowl)... the only thing that needs changing is how it handles the heat.

And here is my idea thermovape, take it or leave it, but you have a good history of listening to feedback so here's mine: an insulating adapter.

510 to 510, kind of like your universal adapter but with more teflon or insulation.

Any opinions?

Opinions? I got a couple. First off, what a post! Great stuff, thanks.\

Yes, isn't a layer of bubble in there a treat? I've done it twice now, I'll be going back trust me. The second time was kind of gooey in the middle, I think it wasn't done....but I was. A load of bubble puts some serious hair on this guy.

Then I hit the part about melting hands and thought to suggest just backing off a minute or two like I did not that I expected you to when the Muse were on you.....

Then I got to the (thermal) insulator idea..... Brilliant. Might not be practical, but fantastic idea. You're not just another pretty face after all?

For my money (or in this case, yours) the LV is the call unless you're heavily invested in 6 Volts.

Either, I'm sure, will make you a happy camper of course, but I'd opt for LV for a number of small reasons. I'd avoid 7.4 Volts on the 6.0 Volt unit. If it combusted you'd be bummed.....

OF

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I had to use 2 adapters put together so I could make an extension to put the Evo on my lil'chuck battery and not heat the crap out of it. It did help some, takes longer for the heat to transfer down to the battery, but a real insulator would be nice, esp. if we could add it on after the fact of already making a purchase.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
to be honest i tried reading the last few pages and couldn't follow the subtle references and electro-math
just lookin' for some straight as possible facts. hoping the persei top w/3.7 imr long boy will run the LV and the dual 3 or 3.7's for the HV. curious of battery life. not in a rush, just compiling data

For my money (or in this case, yours) the LV is the call unless you're heavily invested in 6 Volts.

Either, I'm sure, will make you a happy camper of course, but I'd opt for LV for a number of small reasons. I'd avoid 7.4 Volts on the 6.0 Volt unit. If it combusted you'd be bummed.....

OF
LV on 3.7 and no HV on 7.4, gotcha. basically unless i upgrade to 3.0 imr, etc. trade-off being battery life maybe?

EDiT- thanks again, as always OF:rockon:

Bob Loblaw,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Boy it's going to be a long week waiting for that kit to arrive... hehe... with my sad little set up right now, I get about 10 mins of solid battery power and then it drains too much, so off to charge, which takes several hours, like waiting in a long, long line for hours to get on a 2 min. roller coaster ride...:rofl:

Jeppy

Pure Vaporist
Boy it's going to be a long week waiting for that kit to arrive... hehe... with my sad little set up right now, I get about 10 mins of solid battery power and then it drains too much, so off to charge, which takes several hours, like waiting in a long, long line for hours to get on a 2 min. roller coaster ride...:rofl:
Damn,,dude,,is that all you have to vape with?? You better break out that solo....Ya, I will be waiting as well. I can't wait to see how long it takes the mail to travel 70 miles. :)

Jeppy,

2clicker

Observer
what is the difference between the AW cells and the AW IMR cells?

i bought 4 of the tenergy 3.2V LiFePO and for whatever reason 2 of them now wont charge...? how long do these stay charged? ive had them stored in one of the tubes that TV sells. one set ran out and so i popped these in... but got nothing. so basically i had charged them and waiting in a tube for a couple days before using them... and they are dead. and now when i put them in the WF-188 the LED does not change to red. just stays green. what happened to these?

all of these batteries are a PITA if you ask me. thats why i want a device with a passthrough.

i ordered 2 of the AW 17670s that TV ships with the Evo kits, but wondering if i should have gone with the AW IMR 18650 2000mAh...?

2clicker,

OF

hoping the persei top w/3.7 imr long boy will run the LV and the dual 3 or 3.7's for the HV. curious of battery life. not in a rush, just compiling data

LV on 3.7 and no HV on 7.4, gotcha. basically unless i upgrade to 3.0 imr, etc. trade-off being battery life maybe?

First off, thanks for the kind words. I hope you understand how much it means to me that the efforts are worth while....I mean I know this stuff and don't feel like showin' off or nothin'.

And not to worry about not following the numbers. Numbers, like blonds, are not for everyone I'm told (beats me why.....) so I throw 'em out to amuse those who follow such stuff. Ask straight questions, and I'll try to give straight answers?

I think you've got a lock on most of it. No such thing as 3.0 Volt IMRs.....more's the pity, really. I bet it'd be popular. The only one to get is the 750 mAh RCR123As TV uses (for good reason). Turns out based on a test this AM they are really closer to 500 mAh at the levels we're pushing them to. I calculate 9 minutes of run time if 500 is true, 13.5 if 750 is (which I doubt). The 17670 is 1600 mAh and that seems 'honest' for out uses. I make it at 18 minutes, likely double the 6 Volt set up. Understand the 6 Volt heats a bit faster but it's probably more of a convenience than a power saver.

Unless you have a bunch of RCRs and no 17670s I'd go LV.

OF

OF,

OF

what is the difference between the AW cells and the AW IMR cells?

i bought 4 of the tenergy 3.2V LiFePO and for whatever reason 2 of them now wont charge...? how long do these stay charged? ive had them stored in one of the tubes that TV sells. one set ran out and so i popped these in... but got nothing. so basically i had charged them and waiting in a tube for a couple days before using them... and they are dead. and now when i put them in the WF-188 the LED does not change to red. just stays green. what happened to these?

all of these batteries are a PITA if you ask me. thats why i want a device with a passthrough.

i ordered 2 of the AW 17670s that TV ships with the Evo kits, but wondering if i should have gone with the AW IMR 18650 2000mAh...?

AW is a maker/vendor and IMR is a chemistry type AFAIK.

If you over discharge these guys they can shut down and balk at starting up again. The general routine is to leave them in the charger for a while, they use a small trickle current to bring them up enough to register. It just happened to me while I was testing battery life on the T1. Took several minutes as I recall. HTH.

I understand some guys want a chain on it. But it's a portable vape and therefore depends first on batteries I guess? Most of the users want it as a secondary thing if at all I bet. Not many MFLB PAs sold relative to the box is there?

Depending on what you put it in, 18650s won't fit. Things like TV units that take 123 Cells won't fit 18mm batteries for the most part, the very reason 17670s were developed.....

OF

So only one battery with the LV kit and no option to buy additional batteries? I know this has been addressed, but about how many hits on one LV battery and how long for a full recharge?

TheDudeNextDoor,

2clicker

Observer
thanks again OF

ill see what a few more mins on the charger will do for my tenergys. but does letting them sit around for a few days before use drain them? how did they drain in the storage tube...?

2clicker,
Top Bottom