Thermal Accumulator by phattpiggie

simba

@weedanwine
Had my TA a few days now, so enough time to get a feel for it. I've really been enjoying using this piece, and it could definitely find a place in my regular rotation.

I managed to combust with the first reheat of my first bowl, but combustion free bowls since then. I'm using a big torch so heating about 10-15 seconds. I timed my first bowl, but been doing it by eye/feel since then. It's pretty easy once you get the feel of it I think.

I've used both ground herb and small chunks and it seems to perform about the same.

I've found the mouthpiece can get hot at times, I think it's because of how the wood tapers quite thin on the bocote version. Also I have discovered that shape of stem isn't my favourite, definitely something more chunky for my next one.

I have noticed some black resin type stuff on the bowl end of the mouthpiece. It was hard to capture, but hopefully you can see what I mean on the pics. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

My_50p_worth

Long read ahead ;)

So I’ve finally received my TA and had a bit of time to play with it. There was a small delay due to the post strikes but my patience has certainly been rewarded.

I’m a 99% native vaporist and I’ve wanted a PP stem for a while, so when I saw the bocote TA I knew that was the one for me. Two birds with one stone and all that.

The stem is beautiful, and doesn’t have a single rough edge or toolmark. The oven is much the same story, I’ve checked it all over and cannot find a single flaw. No marks, no machine oils, dirt or other nastiness to be found anywhere.

The integrity of the stem-oven connection is also spot on, firmly holding together without any wobbles - something a fair few vape manufacturers get wrong IME. This is important for me, due to the considerable thermal mass of the next gen butane “pen style” vapes we’ve enjoyed this year.

Just holding this device you can tell that PP holds himself to some high standards and takes pride in his craft.

Another feature I’m very glad to see is the ability to straw load like a DV - I’ve really missed this convenience while outdoors in the wind.

As a long time DV, Vapman and anvil user I found the learning curve was rather shallow. I’m using a blazer big buddy and getting very fast heatups - I like to use cherrying the top as my “visual click” and so far the heater has been very forgiving on the few occasions I’ve overshot it. If you’re worried about the lack of click just know that this gives you plenty of wiggle room. I’ve misplaced my wand so I cannot comment on IH use for the moment.

Onto the main topic, the vapour.

I’m gonna compare it to the anvil vapour, as that’s my personal benchmark for butane vapes in this form factor and a point of reference most readers will be familiar with.

This thing easily keeps up with the anvil if you want “one and done” hits, while IMO offering better flavour and the same level of vapour production. I simply do not find myself reaching back for the anvil, the TA can do it all just as well. Low temp flavour hits are no issue either, although others will be better qualified to discuss this.. I’m only here for the big hits, flavour be damned ;)

The power of the TA hits share that same “holy shit I’m stoned” feeling that the anvil gives me, but with a slightly different signature.

I also like that if I load some hash in, I can add some conduction in the mix by heating lower. No issues at all with hash. My Vapman is sweating right now.

I really do like this vape, I think it’s going to shelve my anvil permanently and possibly put the Vapman on hiatus.

My only real complaint (if you can even call it that) is the lack of a case option right now.. but all things considered this is a minor point, and one that I’m sure will be fixed with time. It’s hard to find flaws with this vape and I’m usually pretty objective with my reviews.

Full credit to PP for bringing out such a polished, high performance vape and getting it so right on the first attempt. Safe to say Britain now has its own champion vape :)

Spj3k1

Long read ahead ;)

So I’ve finally received my TA and had a bit of time to play with it. There was a small delay due to the post strikes but my patience has certainly been rewarded.

I’m a 99% native vaporist and I’ve wanted a PP stem for a while, so when I saw the bocote TA I knew that was the one for me. Two birds with one stone and all that.

The stem is beautiful, and doesn’t have a single rough edge or toolmark. The oven is much the same story, I’ve checked it all over and cannot find a single flaw. No marks, no machine oils, dirt or other nastiness to be found anywhere.

The integrity of the stem-oven connection is also spot on, firmly holding together without any wobbles - something a fair few vape manufacturers get wrong IME. This is important for me, due to the considerable thermal mass of the next gen butane “pen style” vapes we’ve enjoyed this year.

Just holding this device you can tell that PP holds himself to some high standards and takes pride in his craft.

Another feature I’m very glad to see is the ability to straw load like a DV - I’ve really missed this convenience while outdoors in the wind.

As a long time DV, Vapman and anvil user I found the learning curve was rather shallow. I’m using a blazer big buddy and getting very fast heatups - I like to use cherrying the top as my “visual click” and so far the heater has been very forgiving on the few occasions I’ve overshot it. If you’re worried about the lack of click just know that this gives you plenty of wiggle room. I’ve misplaced my wand so I cannot comment on IH use for the moment.

Onto the main topic, the vapour.

I’m gonna compare it to the anvil vapour, as that’s my personal benchmark for butane vapes in this form factor and a point of reference most readers will be familiar with.

This thing easily keeps up with the anvil if you want “one and done” hits, while IMO offering better flavour and the same level of vapour production. I simply do not find myself reaching back for the anvil, the TA can do it all just as well. Low temp flavour hits are no issue either, although others will be better qualified to discuss this.. I’m only here for the big hits, flavour be damned ;)

The power of the TA hits share that same “holy shit I’m stoned” feeling that the anvil gives me, but with a slightly different signature.

I also like that if I load some hash in, I can add some conduction in the mix by heating lower. No issues at all with hash. My Vapman is sweating right now.

I really do like this vape, I think it’s going to shelve my anvil permanently and possibly put the Vapman on hiatus.

My only real complaint (if you can even call it that) is the lack of a case option right now.. but all things considered this is a minor point, and one that I’m sure will be fixed with time. It’s hard to find flaws with this vape and I’m usually pretty objective with my reviews.

Full credit to PP for bringing out such a polished, high performance vape and getting it so right on the first attempt. Safe to say Britain now has its own champion vape :)
Great read.

Do you just put hash on or use it with vape wool, ryon or some shit?

Spj3k1,

ibnganja

I have the stem version, the bowl is fixed on....How do I best clean it? as someone has mentioned in this thread, you need to keep it clean or it effects performance a lot.

how are you all using it? twax? just flower?

I find the just-flower isn't so fun, the TA shines with twax.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I have the stem version, the bowl is fixed on....How do I best clean it? as someone has mentioned in this thread, you need to keep it clean or it effects performance a lot.

Why would it affect the performance so much? Just need to swap in a clean screen, no?? Anyway you can dip the tip in alcohol, scrub chamber and pathway with q-tip (the heater of mine doesn't seem like it would get dirty at all in use) to clean all the metal.

I am only using it with flower, I find mixing concentrates with flower not fun, because they have different extraction temperatures, hard to imagine a reason not to just use torch banger and recycler... I think the TA is very fun and shines with flower, brightly!

Texus

That's interesting about twax vs flower for you. I feel like I'm still in the learning curve of the TA.
And so still working out the many possible combinations of these variables:
-fill amount
-grind
-touch
-flame size
-heating location on TA

As for cleaning I fill a slim container with enough iso to cover the metal but not reach the wood and just soak that.

Marlon Rando

since using this badboy, TA is 90% used native/water with Concentrates, flower is fine too, i simply prefer live Rosin. Yes as Shitsnacks said just use a dedicated banger, all the merrier in ways to imbibe today, we are blessed to have all these options.

Texus

since using this badboy, TA is 90% used native/water with Concentrates, flower is fine too, i simply prefer live Rosin. Yes as Shitsnacks said just use a dedicated banger, all the merrier in ways to imbibe today, we are blessed to have all these options.
Tho not using a banger can make concentrates a bit more mellow an experience. Don't always need that banger hit slam. Which I still get at lower banger temperature.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)

Yeah before I got the banger I was doing convection high wattage SplinterZ dabs with steel mesh in a male to male adapter, definitely different fun experience, and I'm sure the TA will excel at it, think I just need to find some sort of substrate to use and I can put some nice rosin on there to try some real flavor excellence through hook and bub...

Shannock

Had the TA in my possession for a few days now, took a few days before I was confident in seeing the cherry “blossom” on the tip of the oven but I’m using that indicator rather than a stopwatch now and enjoying the ability to tear through a bowl or take it a little slower (and tastier).
It looks a little clunky on my early @phattpiggie produced vong and the Ti hot end certainly lives up to its name as it transfers a lot of heat - I’m tempted to attach it to my Simrell stem just for science :science: but I suspect I would need an oven glove to do so!
Great work! So effective and made in the UK too, I’m so glad I managed to snag one.
:peace:

Texus

Had the TA in my possession for a few days now, took a few days before I was confident in seeing the cherry “blossom” on the tip of the oven but I’m using that indicator rather than a stopwatch now and enjoying the ability to tear through a bowl or take it a little slower (and tastier).
It looks a little clunky on my early @phattpiggie produced vong and the Ti hot end certainly lives up to its name as it transfers a lot of heat - I’m tempted to attach it to my Simrell stem just for science :science: but I suspect I would need an oven glove to do so!
Great work! So effective and made in the UK too, I’m so glad I managed to snag one.
:peace:
Good to know. I roll with a visual cue on my Simrell Warhead and feel that is preferable to a countdown for a time-challenged individual such as myself.

Texus,

Texus

How are you guys finding the heat cycle time frame? Are you finding it keeps it's heat well enough to casually puff on it like a joint? Or do you find yourself rushing to finish the bowl before the heat cycle ends?
Part of my comment about still dialing it on was made with longer puffing time in mind. I'm not quite getting the amount of puffs or able to hit it as long as some who've posted bids here. Which to me was also a part of the appeal.

Duba

Accessory Maker
Can confirm the bocote TA fits in @Duba XL anvil case
We want to see a pic!

I also received mine yesterday!
For now, I have it mounted on an @Aezhenn wood stem in Amboine burl (like the bowl on its stand!) but it's true that, as Phatt pointed out, it's a little loose in it so I will probably have to find another body for it.

How are you guys finding the heat cycle time frame? Are you finding it keeps it's heat well enough to casually puff on it like a joint? Or do you find yourself rushing to finish the bowl before the heat cycle ends?
I ask myself the same question because my first attempts have rather emptied the bowl in 1 or 2 puffs but I would also like to be able to draw several small puffs in a row. Even if I need to experiment more, i really like it!
Thank you @phattpiggie for putting a new vapor engine in our hands!

Marlon Rando

Tho not using a banger can make concentrates a bit more mellow an experience
Exactly, Can hit it and quit it, then come back later for another or Steam it up good rip after rip.

@Shit Snacks you can try using cellulose fiber (Rayon) or organic cotton, but it may smell funkier than the synthetics. best part for me using fiber/trates with the TA is that there is very minimal cleaning involved.

Marlon Rando,

phattpiggie

Accessory Maker
Fanfukintastic to see that the mail is finally making it's way through.

Many thanks for the great feedback, video and pictures.

A couple of things being brought up.

Cleaning.
I've just been using an Iso soaked qtip around the inside of the bowl.
Unless you have a serious bush fire then the heater matirx shouldn't need cleaning.
The skewers I sent out with the stems are for the SS liner.
I put a small wad of paper into the MP end drip Iso on it and push it through with the skewer.
The 14/18mm pieces have a bigger bore liner than the Bocote.

The liners fall short.
In the past I've had a couple of pieces shrink on me which exposes the end of the SS. Out of habit they all are a few mm shorter than the wood.
You can use an Iso'd qtip to clean this area. It doesn't do any harm. A bit of wood finish will help keep it in fine fettle.

Screens.
The matrix screen that went out are 13mm and 40 mesh.
Bowl screens are 11mm and 60 mesh.
The bowl screens can be domed or dished for better flow if needs be.
I think you can get 10mm basket screens just not readily available in the UK.

When a wood with an oil content gets hot it pulls out the resins from the wood.
The unknown chemical make up of those resins are the reason I wouldn't make unlined stem or vape bowls without lining them.

My personal stem was put together so I can see how far I could push the design and cope with heat.
IMG-20221210-171147-109-2.jpg

The bowl sits on a piece of cross cut Blackwood. The resins have stopped coming out of the wood.
I scraped it off with my nail and have waxed it rarely.
The body is Bog Oak laminate, 4 pieces in total. Alternative Ivory MP and accent.
No finned heat sink means I'm asking a lot from that thin piece of BW.
The condenser is the narrowest I use. The rayon helps to keep it relatively clean.
It's used day in day out.

Cases.
I'm working on it.
IMG-20221209-170543-162-2.jpg

Induction Heaters.
Be warned the insulation on the coil doesn't like the high temps some of us prefer.
My heater which I'm still using on a daily.
IMG-20221206-160207-993-2.jpg

Weed bowls and how long they last.
There are more than a couple of tokes in those bowls
Not me by the way.

I can't wait for the rest to drop through doors.
Have a great weekend.

Top Bottom