The Toad from Morwood

fangorn

Congratulations @Octavia !
But, where is thé picture ? 😋

The vapour was very nice but a little unsatisfying, though about 2/3 of the way through I realised the screen was set too high. Slightly adjusting ~2mm towards the heater end fixed that, and got a nice roast before the flavour was too far gone for the last few hits.

I would advise placing the screen and flowers as close as possible to the radiator...
that's what I do in any case!

Performance overall felt a little sluggish with the heater getting overpowered about 5 seconds into my draw every draw, but my batteries are about 18 months old so betting it’ll be a better once my new cells arrive next week.

Good new batteries are a game changer...
you'll have another device when you install your new batteries next week 😁

Tonight’s session is going to be with the second glass stem filled with beads and properly adjusted from go, should be a nice evening in the woods!

A session in nature is the best thing to do to make your toad feel welcome 😍
(I personally took much longer before I managed to get him out of the apartment!!)

I’ve been doing 3-6-6 (preheat-hold button-release button) with my high heater (gonna try 4-5-5 tonight), vs 6-6-6 with the low heat recommendation. Adding the link I received, the count timings start in image 2 and are the only captions for images 3+

if I were you, for the first puff, I would try a preheat at 4 or 5 (depending on the condition of your batteries). I would rather go with 5 if they are a year and a half old.

and... I don't know if it will help but instead of x-x-x... just count the preheating...

you can hold the button as long as you want as long as you inhale at the same time.

and the last number is just to take advantage of the heat of the heater while saving a little battery, to empty the last traces of vapor and cool the heater a little.

anyway... I really hope my explanations won't confuse you, or other people here...

well... have fun with your new friend!!
enjoy it!

edit: adding glass beads will reduce airflow. try inhaling even slower than with a firewood dt you should quickly get denser puffs!!

Last edited:

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Congratulations @Octavia !
But, where is thé picture ? 😋
Going to try for some tonight! Had to pick the spouse up from the airport last night and the light was gone by the time we got home. Been super distracted at work today trying to think of the perfect spot. 😆
Edit: see photos below!

I would advise placing the screen and flowers as close as possible to the radiator...
that's what I do in any case!
I’m doing mine a bit further up (~2mm again from the end) since my current strain is very fluffy to start but very quickly deflates so I need a bit more room for the start. Definitely going to need to fiddle around a bit until I find the perfect fit, but I prefer a bit of a gap at the end of my stem in a vain attempt to keep things semi clean.

Good new batteries are a game changer...
you'll have another device when you install your new batteries next week 😁
I hope so! Very glad I put a date on this set, I always forget to replace them.

A session in nature is the best thing to do to make your toad feel welcome 😍
(I personally took much longer before I managed to get him out of the apartment!!)
I think the true christening is going to be later in the month when I go back to my college town for a weekend trip. I’m very lucky to have lived within a short walk of at least one beautiful forested area basically my entire adult life, so every portable device gets the first session inside and most future sessions outside.

if I were you, for the first puff, I would try a preheat at 4 or 5 (depending on the condition of your batteries). I would rather go with 5 if they are a year and a half old.

and... I don't know if it will help but instead of x-x-x... just count the preheating...

you can hold the button as long as you want as long as you inhale at the same time.

and the last number is just to take advantage of the heat of the heater while saving a little battery, to empty the last traces of vapor and cool the heater a little.

anyway... I really hope my explanations won't confuse you, or other people here...
At least for me I always like a recipe or formula for the first few sessions, then start to play with variables as I get used to it. Was definitely finding I didn’t strictly NEED to count the heated or cooldown inhale time, but the timing instructions really helped me figure out the proper tempo.

Solid advice though, I’m perpetually worried about combusting accidentally after the multiple times I’ve done that in my FW7 so I always err on the side of caution. I think after tonight I will probably just start using it by feel like you described now that I know what it’s capable of.

well... have fun with your new friend!!
enjoy it!
💛💚💙💜

Looking forward to hearing from all the other new Toad owners too, hopefully y’all are enjoying yours as much as I am! I never really got the pure convection hype until this device as someone who heavily gravitates towards hybrid and/or conduction devices. Not sure where this’ll fit in my rotation quite yet, but will certainly be joining my Firewood 9 as one of my regulars.

Edit: the photos!

Last edited:

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
@Octavia

I really like this model!!!
It reminds me of a swamp...
With the brown of the case, I'm in the Star Wars universe... I really like it 😁

Great acquisition!!!
It was called Wood Fired Pottery, but it definitely reminded me of moss/lichen encrusted wood so I picked the brown sleeve to emphasise that!

Just got this back today. Sent to Dan so he could redo the outer shell for me. It was in need of a repair.
And he let me choose the artwork! I'm just in amazement!
Before & after pics. Some of you I'm sure will recognize the before.

I wish I was lucky enough to get #158: Smokin’ Toad, that one was adorable! Looked very similar to Falconflys’ redone shell.

Also tried the longer preheat you suggested (6 count because somehow I always count 1 second faster than actual) and it worked very well, got a few nice clouds and a much quicker roast. Looking forward to the new batteries but I think I have a handle on these old cells now.

NYC_Frank

"A man with no vices is a man with no virtues"
Wow ... loving #194

Screenshot-20240909-132444-Chrome.jpg

sansei

I'm not here for a long time, but for a good time
It was called Wood Fired Pottery, but it definitely reminded me of moss/lichen encrusted wood so I picked the brown sleeve to emphasise that!

I wish I was lucky enough to get #158: Smokin’ Toad, that one was adorable! Looked very similar to Falconflys’ redone shell.

Also tried the longer preheat you suggested (6 count because somehow I always count 1 second faster than actual) and it worked very well, got a few nice clouds and a much quicker roast. Looking forward to the new batteries but I think I have a handle on these old cells now.
Which heater are you using @Octavia?

sansei,

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
Which heater are you using @Octavia?
Currently only have the high heater but my batteries are quite old so it’s behaving like a low heater. Was hoping to have the new cells by now but they finally left their initial usps depot a day after they were supposed to arrive 🙃

Edit: just checked again and they finally reached my city! Hopefully they’ll be here by the weekend so I can try the high heater’s actual speed!

Last edited:

sansei

I'm not here for a long time, but for a good time
Currently only have the high heater but my batteries are quite old so it’s behaving like a low heater. Was hoping to have the new cells by now but they finally left their initial usps depot a day after they were supposed to arrive 🙃

Edit: just checked again and they finally reached my city! Hopefully they’ll be here by the weekend so I can try the high heater’s actual speed!

Ah, thanks! Let us know how it is once you get the new cells in. Congratulations on your beautiful acquisition!

sansei,

Octavia

No thoughts, head empty
I once met a bloke in a pub who claimed to be a world expert on dating historic ivory. According to him, ivory is not able to be radio carbon dated, and he also claimed to make a fair living as an expert witness for criminal investigations. Anyway, nice button
Do you remember his reasoning? I assume it’s just that anything older than 50k years ago would have basically no c14?

186°

The radiocarbon method (14C) has a maximum age of around 40k years. It is not possible to date older stuff because all the 14C isotopes are gone by then. Of course I don't know anything about this specific ivory but the given time range is roughly the time of the last ice age. Soooo I guess it is just chronologically classified via the context (the layer of sediments) it was found in because a uncertainty of 90k years is way too much to be based on exact dating techniques. In general, often times not the object of interest itself is measured (because often it is not possible) but e.g organic matter around the finding. In this case it could have been super easy: it may was in a pile of dirt (a landform like a moraine) which was known to be from the last ice age (because it simply wasn't overrolled by another glacier). But I'm just guessing.

Edit: I have to correct myself a bit: a moraine isn't that plausible. There are much better geo-archives from the ice ages where you can find undisturbed fossils to reliably date them. But I was just trying to make my point that it is not the hardest scientific task to assign a rough age like that to a fossil.

Last edited:

Perfect_Speed4069

I am the beetle in a box that only you can see
The radiocarbon method (14C) has a maximum age of around 40k years. It is not possible to date older stuff because all the 14C isotopes are gone by then. Of course I don't know anything about this specific ivory but the given time range is roughly the time of the last ice age. Soooo I guess it is just chronologically classified via the context (the layer of sediments) it was found in because a uncertainty of 90k years is way too much to be based on exact dating techniques. In general, often times not the object of interest itself is measured (because often it is not possible) but e.g organic matter around the finding. In this case it could have been super easy: it may was in a pile of dirt (a landform like a moraine) which was known to be from the last ice age (because it simply wasn't overrolled by another glacier). But I'm just guessing.
Was it you I met in the pub? Your name isn't Gregg is it?

Top Bottom