The Toad from Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I've been thinking a lot about how good then Nomad heater is. And how we could easily take more advantage of how modular it is. The Toad is an example. Been thinking about a number of desktop designs. Could have the brains on the desk, and just small wood housing the heater snaps into. Place it on a bong, use it with stems.

Really Nomad heater could also be great for DIY you've got a great heater, and tiny, power it and a housing of sorts and you've got an amazing vape.

I don't know lots of neat places we can take this thing.

I have some ideas in the ol' notebook that's for sure! The only issue is time, haha.

I think this size of heater is best suited to microdosing, 0.05g to .1g loads. And so that limits the viability as a desktop IMO... but one of the ideas I am most excited about is a microdab rig heater.

Imagine this, the Toad is flipped upside down and with a WPA is plugged into a water tool. With the Toad in your water tool, the wooden bottom plate is now facing up. The wooden bottom plate is removed and replaced with an entirely new heater. This heater would be a heated SiC/quartz cup that faces up (instead of down like the stock heaters). So, instead of having to load the end of the stem, you can now dab directly into the open cup. This makes loading and cleaning much easier than a stem load system with the stock convection heater.

Instead of a WPA you could use a bent stem to bring the mouthpiece back up, kinda like a churchwarden pipe.

Surprisingly the button location feels ergonomic in both up and down orientations, so that's nice.

I think this would be a neat way for one device to be able to do dry herb and concentrates without having to use the same style of heater for both tasks. This has been an idea I've had for a while... but the Toad really makes it much more possible because of the simple rectangular bottom and magnetic pins that can be used for holding different types of heaters.

In a way, I'm seeing the Toad as a possible core unit that could adapt to fun new add-ons, kinda like a Lego brick. But we will have to see... ha. For now they're just ideas!

namasteIII

That sounds awesome (especially the lego brick part) and I know you’ve been thinking about concentrates since pretty much the beginning of the Nomad design. This is great tho not having to stem load with concentrates and having a dish like that, its pretty much dab style which is optional IMO unless we are looking for out and about style portable.

How does the heater in this orientation and with no bottom plate get connected to the button and battery circuit?

And I fully agree about the heater being small for desktops, I was going to say so but didn’t want to suggest adding a larger heater to your already extensive R&D list. Thought I would bet multiple larger heaters are already on the list with sketches and everything.

I just love this idea of snapping a Nomad heater in a tiny housing WPA with a little on off and voltage control on the desk. Same quick heat up. I really want the desktop vape that perfectly emulates a lighter. Just a small thing you don’t have to plan for or wait on, just like a lighter, turn it on, move it over top the bowl, breath, huge hit, done.

I fully understand and respect the urge and need to collect Dan's vaporizers ...

but for the lucky owners of a Nomad 1 and / or 2 ... do you think you could give your place on the list to non-owners of Dan vaporizers? this would allow more people to have access to its radiators
😉😁😇🐸🙏😉🙄 😘

I super agree and wanted to mention this but couldn’t find a way to say it that didn’t sound like I was bragging about having a Nomad. I just wana be on the list and watch for the first few rounds at least.

Just like you, I really want more people with no Morrison device to have them before I have 2. Thought I’m not sure I could keep that kindness if it was an Okin.

Cheers again, of all the technological advancements that will come to humanity over the next 20-50 years, Dans may be the most exciting.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
I have some ideas in the ol' notebook that's for sure! The only issue is time, haha.

I think this size of heater is best suited to microdosing, 0.05g to .1g loads. And so that limits the viability as a desktop IMO... but one of the ideas I am most excited about is a microdab rig heater.

Imagine this, the Toad is flipped upside down and with a WPA is plugged into a water tool. With the Toad in your water tool, the wooden bottom plate is now facing up. The wooden bottom plate is removed and replaced with an entirely new heater. This heater would be a heated SiC/quartz cup that faces up (instead of down like the stock heaters). So, instead of having to load the end of the stem, you can now dab directly into the open cup. This makes loading and cleaning much easier than a stem load system with the stock convection heater.

Instead of a WPA you could use a bent stem to bring the mouthpiece back up, kinda like a churchwarden pipe.

Surprisingly the button location feels ergonomic in both up and down orientations, so that's nice.

I think this would be a neat way for one device to be able to do dry herb and concentrates without having to use the same style of heater for both tasks. This has been an idea I've had for a while... but the Toad really makes it much more possible because of the simple rectangular bottom and magnetic pins that can be used for holding different types of heaters.

In a way, I'm seeing the Toad as a possible core unit that could adapt to fun new add-ons, kinda like a Lego brick. But we will have to see... ha. For now they're just ideas!
My head just exploded! I can't wait to see how this comes together. On the go concentrate microdosing with an easy to clean setup sounds dreamy!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
How does the heater in this orientation and with no bottom plate get connected to the button and battery circuit?

And I fully agree about the heater being small for desktops, I was going to say so but didn’t want to suggest adding a larger heater to your already extensive R&D list. Thought I would bet multiple larger heaters are already on the list with sketches and everything.

I just love this idea of snapping a Nomad heater in a tiny housing WPA with a little on off and voltage control on the desk. Same quick heat up. I really want the desktop vape that perfectly emulates a lighter. Just a small thing you don’t have to plan for or wait on, just like a lighter, turn it on, move it over top the bowl, breath, huge hit, done.

The heater itself would be part of a new bottom plate, complete with magnets and a battery contact. So it wouldn't have the same tube shape as the other heaters.

I do think there is room for an on-demand style desktop for sure! The "tiny little housing" idea sounds pretty sick!

letsnotbespecific

Proud Of You Reaction GIF

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus

This is one thing the coolest Ideas I’ve seen on here. Enough to make me consider switching my nomad order for a toad hehe

Vaporware

I don’t know how many of you noticed, but some of these ideas were in the Nomad II sketches Dan posted in February 2020 (second to last image, top middle). I’m sure they’ve changed and improved by now, but a lot of it’s there. :)

seriousTone

I don’t know how many of you noticed, but some of these ideas were in the Nomad II sketches Dan posted in February 2020 (second to last image, top middle). I’m sure they’ve changed and improved by now, but a lot of it’s there. :)

Nice catch, love seeing the sketches.

Arawfish

Green Thumb
Especially in the vape market, I think he is the only one doing this kind of work! I have a hard time appreciating other vapes after finding out about the Nomad I/II and Toad.
Pretty much. I found out a year ago, got on the waitlist, and then I had to buy a FW7 to satiate my need for something beautiful and handmade. Makes the wait a little bit easier.

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
I see why you have such a cult following, super cool to see your thought process behind the scenes. Something about your design makes me think it would fit perfectly in the world of Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. It's a manga/ova set in post ecological collapse Japan, a self aware android runs a coffee shop and rides her vespa around talking to what few locals are left as humanity slowly fades away. It's a very bittersweet/mono no aware type of feeling.

the_flavor_of_ykk.png
bbt-rmxnemesis-yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-ova1-609fd5a6-mkv_snapshot_13-33_2017-06-02_00-43-16.jpg

bbt-rmxnemesis-yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-ova1-609fd5a6-mkv_snapshot_25-43_2017-06-02_00-45-54.jpg

Ps. I would like to express my formal interest in your project.
Pss. Yes I finally stopped lurking and made an account just for this thread hahaha.

Last edited:

Vaporware

Thanks for posting that! I’ve been meaning to watch that anime, but I’d forgotten the name. It does seem like these would fit in though. :)

Maybe I’ll save it and watch it when my Nomad or Toad comes in… :sherlock:

Vehmic

Bogwood Ent
Thanks for posting that! I’ve been meaning to watch that anime, but I’d forgotten the name. It does seem like these would fit in though. :)

Maybe I’ll save it and watch it when my Nomad or Toad comes in… :sherlock:
Anytime! Yokohama and Mushi-shi are my favorite relaxing anime.

I love things that have an out of time quality, or that nostalgia for something that never was....

I could see Dan as a mysterious Ginko figure. I'm still a little gobsmacked by the attention to detail, in this day and age it's pretty rare to see function married so perfectly with form.

“A good picture is a well-built structure. There is material in the model before you for all kinds of structures. All these structures will be like the model, but beyond likeness there will be a manifestation of something more real, more related to all things, and more unique in itself. Infinite simplicity. A direct purpose and most exacting choice of the terms of expression.”

-Robert Henri “The Art Spirit.”

Mushishi%2C_Volume_1.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Vehmic, I definitely need to catch up on those anime... thanks for posting!

On the Toad front, I had a hiccup with the paper I wanted to use for making the shells. I originally used washi from the Awagami factory in Japan, which worked wonderfully..... but has since become more difficult and costly to get because of COVID Japan-Canada shipping restrictions. I switched to another washi that I thought would be practically identical, apart form being easier to order from within Canada. Well, it was definitely not the same. Although it was listed as "unsized", it was actually sized. Sizing is a term used in the paper industry for a process of coating or impregnating a paper with a "size". Sizing essentially makes the paper more waterproof... or bleed proof. If you put ink on an unsized paper it will bleed immediately and soak in completely, showing on the backside of the paper. Most paper is sized.

I need to use unsized paper because I need both the glue and color to penetrate the fibers completely, creating a more homogeneous composite. By fully saturating the washi fibers with glue, it becomes much more durable and stiff. The result is pretty much comparable to a soft hardwood, and it can be carved like wood with woodworking tools.

So, long story short, I ordered the original Awagami paper, which took a while, but tracking says it should be here in a couple days.

In the meantime, lets take a look at the buttons! I got some very cool lichens for this batch. There are more than 15 buttons here... but I just made a few extra to use for the next batch.

DSCF5285.jpg

I was lucky enough to go on a little sailing trip where I was determined to hunt down some rare and unique lichens.

The trip was to the northern shores of the Georgian Bay, part of lake Huron, French River Provincial Park to be exact. A quick google image search will show you what that place is all about.

The burnt-orange and ultra-vibrant lime green lichens are from the trip. The lime greenies were growing in a rocky bog-land. They were curled around some dead tree branches. The orange guys grew only on the exposed rocky edges of islands.... and seemed to favor only those that were the most exposed to the elements.

The blue and yellow-green lichens are from a downed poplar branch that fell in one of the recent storms. While I was away on the boat, Steff found the branch and brought it home. I'm not sure if it's funny or scary.... but when Steff met me coming off the boat, we both immediately started bragging about our independent lichen finds. Looking at the above batch... I'm not sure who got the greatest haul!

Last edited:
Top Bottom