The Toad from Morwood

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
I've been testing out a prototype long stem for the Toads and I'm enjoying it enough to want to make more! Here's some concepts for what future stems could look like.

The stems would have a polished stainless steel vapor path throughout. I imagine wood outside, bamboo for the long skinny parts, african blackwood mouthpieces, and perhaps little 'side-car' globes made from glass. These little side-cars would give you a window to view the vapor, and would obviously be removable for cleaning.

I'm liking the stainless steel pathway because I feel like it's the easy to clean. A quick swabbing with a pipecleaner and ISO is all that's needed.

There's something special about the vapor quality from a long stem with a narrow airway. The draw restriction and cooling feels just perfect!

DSCF4661.jpg

BakedDiogenes

I've been testing out a prototype long stem for the Toads and I'm enjoying it enough to want to make more! Here's some concepts for what future stems could look like.

The stems would have a polished stainless steel vapor path throughout. I imagine wood outside, bamboo for the long skinny parts, african blackwood mouthpieces, and perhaps little 'side-car' globes made from glass. These little side-cars would give you a window to view the vapor, and would obviously be removable for cleaning.

I'm liking the stainless steel pathway because I feel like it's the easy to clean. A quick swabbing with a pipecleaner and ISO is all that's needed.

There's something special about the vapor quality from a long stem with a narrow airway. The draw restriction and cooling feels just perfect!

View attachment 11484
What are those little nubs on the right of the stems?

some space age herbal blaster vibes!

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Great stuff! Reminiscent of a stem design we talked about a long time ago, but a bit more fun and futuristic looking with the vapor detour out the side. :)

Yes! Ever since our talks I've been thinking about how to make a long stem look good and also be functional... I think it's taken this long to tease out the ideas. Still a ways to go, but I'm excited to see where it goes. :)

@Shit Snacks
Super cool! Have you experimented with right angle bends in the vapor path yet? Love me some curved bent stems... ;)

I have done bent stems in the past. If you want to line the stem with a SS tube, you need to make the stem in two halves then glue em' together with the bent SS encased inside. A little more involved, but definitely looks cool.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
@Shit Snacks
I have done bent stems in the past. If you want to line the stem with a SS tube, you need to make the stem in two halves then glue em' together with the bent SS encased inside. A little more involved, but definitely looks cool.

Oh that sounds awesome, perfect for the right angle bend, and I bet steel is going to cool even more so than glass could, definitely more involved though worthwhile!

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
For the long stems have you considered/experimented with wood lined with glass? Not quite as cooling probably and trickier to do things like angled bends (no idea how you'd line bent glass tbh...) but from a flavor purity standpoint its arguably as good as it gets?

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@gordontreeman

I have experimented with this. I found that when the wood expands and contracts with the seasons it can sometimes crack the glass in the process. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time, and if you use an adhesive with some flexibility it can help for sure.... but the slim chance that it could happen.... and that you'd never know... and that you could possibly have glass shards just waiting to be dislodged inside of the stem... well that's just a huge no for me, hahaha. It would also make the entire thing much more fragile, I think a drop could crack the glass as well.

So far I'm not detecting any taste difference from the steel, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

@Arawfish Soon! A week... maybe two...

Ripstar

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

Top Bottom