The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

PossumMD

I too think that the threads are too fiddly. Said so nine months ago 🤷‍♂️ the device is still amazing though. Flavor and vapor production is as good as my desktop ball vapes.
Only real issue im having is the smell. This thing is very smelly. So much so, that my gf does not want me to use it when she is in the room. So i can only use my desktop ball vapes when not alone. They do not smell at all. I think its the rest of the load still cooking in the hot cap that causes this. It might be preventable by emptying it right after finishing the bowl? I never tried as i dont have a reload yet and none of my dyna mags allow this while hot.
Yeah, I find the thing pongs when hot, but calms down quick.

PossumMD,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Long time lurker first time poster. A question or two.. Once you put the head unit on two the stem and it is locked in place are you not supposed to be able to take it back apart? My head unit feels fused to the stem now. Not sure how much of an issue that could be as it leads to my next question. Cleaning. Is there a video online somewhere that demos deep cleaning? Could I dump the whole thing in some ISO and then rinse it well and dry? Can the oven piece with the VI and balls just be dumped in ISO and then just rinsed and dried? TIA

rotra

Wow, what gobsmackingly beautiful piece of kit. Like the old adage goes, anything can blow your mind, this one is mind blasting!

Props to all the reviewers on the thread and to Terp Chasers Club... got it to me in 2 days!

ZC

Had mine for a few days.

It's more fiddly and nuanced than I expected. I assumed it was closer to "vapcap, but ball vape"

But it doesn't seem nearly as set and forget. How you heat it matters a lot. And many tiny variables seem to effect how quickly the indicator spring moves and how quickly the discs click. They almost never seem to actuate at the same time, and the visual indicator is almost always lagging behind the clicks. I'm hoping this changes after the "10-30" uses mentioned in the manual.

The strangest choice to me is the lower indicators. 1 click/1st notch is essentially useless. 2 is light and whispy, 3 is usually good strong results. But the smallest amount past 3 seems to be on the verge of combustion. The range that's indicated vs the range that is useful seem very different to me.

The cooling works very well and when I do get a good hit it checks all of the boxes. Flavorful, hard hitting, but also smooth and not harsh in the slightest.

Unlike the other guy though, currently I wouldn't feel comfortable handing it to a friend to use, I would want to heat it up for them.

There are a lot of settings and variables on this thing. Would be nice to have a "default" recommendation from madheaters.
Open/Bypass/Closed?
Heater valves fully open?
Draw speed?
How many notches?

Learner

Had mine for a few days.

It's more fiddly and nuanced than I expected. I assumed it was closer to "vapcap, but ball vape"

But it doesn't seem nearly as set and forget. How you heat it matters a lot. And many tiny variables seem to effect how quickly the indicator spring moves and how quickly the discs click. They almost never seem to actuate at the same time, and the visual indicator is almost always lagging behind the clicks. I'm hoping this changes after the "10-30" uses mentioned in the manual.

The strangest choice to me is the lower indicators. 1 click/1st notch is essentially useless. 2 is light and whispy, 3 is usually good strong results. But the smallest amount past 3 seems to be on the verge of combustion. The range that's indicated vs the range that is useful seem very different to me.

The cooling works very well and when I do get a good hit it checks all of the boxes. Flavorful, hard hitting, but also smooth and not harsh in the slightest.

Unlike the other guy though, currently I wouldn't feel comfortable handing it to a friend to use, I would want to heat it up for them.

There are a lot of settings and variables on this thing. Would be nice to have a "default" recommendation from madheaters.
Open/Bypass/Closed?
Heater valves fully open?
Draw speed?
How many notches?
I'm coming from having used a Dynavap and Anvil as well as a desktop ball vape.

I've been treating it more like a ball vape. Direct to lung style hits. Air settings open all the way. Air flow is the secret power of ball vapes.

I take as big of a rip as I can with my finger over the carb hole on the stem. If my pull starts getting a little too hot, I lift my finger and modulate air flow to my temp preferences.

This could all be dialed in I imagine, and I could not have to carb manually, but I don't mind and I like having that control.

Hope that helps.

And heating, if my flame is too big with a torch I get some inconsistent results.

Last edited:

dtrdrk

I get consistent amazing hits doing this:

- half bowl, actually packed a little (tap it down with my finger)
- air flow wide open
- 520 on wand till timeout

i can always extract the whole (half) bowl in one drag.

dtrdrk,
Reactions: Cannabiker

akp55

The herb came from a highly reputable caregiver out of Ann Arbor Michigan. One of the most prolific MJ communities in the USA. Not to sound defensive but it’s definitely not the bud.

The volcano is currently my only other vape. I can hear balls in the cap when I shake it. So I believe they are there. I can’t really see through the screen though. AVB looks pretty roasted. I get one hit that you might call decent. Pending on what your use to as a hit I suppose. And then 2 incredibly weak hits in an attempt to finish it off.

I’m convinced something is going wrong in this process. I’ve seen gifs of others using this thing. And their vapor production blows mine away.
I'm in the same boat. I either get wispy hits or combust. I can't figure out how to get it to give me clouds like the other folks...

also for the wooden stems, what size orings should we be using if used with a DV tip? the bottom oring on all my DV tips are getting destroyed in the wooden stem.

and if anyone happens to be in NYC this weekend and would like to help a dummy figure out how to use the tempest, please hit me up! i'll supply consumables.

Last edited:
akp55,
Reactions: Octavia

Brenyo

Manufacturer
also for the wooden stems, what size orings should we be using if used with a DV tip? the bottom oring on all my DV tips are getting destroyed in the wooden stem.
Sorry about that, some early orders got out with burr in the tip connection.
If the threads are damaging the o-rings then please try to deburr it like I do in the video with a metal or ceramic tweezer, around the inner edge marked in the picture. That’s where it usually tears up the O-ring. Then grab a Q-tip with ISO and clean the inner threading where you push the bowl O-rings in as deeply as you can, pushing the cotton into the thread. Then clean it with the dry side of the Q-tip.

Last edited:

Minsc_NBoo

I'm in the same boat. I either get wispy hits or combust. I can't figure out how to get it to give me clouds like the other folks...

I believe someone with a similar issue in the thread said putting more material in the bowl helped fix the issue.

I'm liking airflow on the cap fully open, stem set to fully closed, or restricted bypass. This is using the direct airflow tube in the mouthpiece

I think draw speed can play a big factor. Slow steady draws usually give me a slow ramp up, then it starts to produce a lot of vapour. Cigar puffs work for mouth to lung draws

If you are using the ispire wand try following the recommended set up on the tempest manual. I got good results straight away. I am liking a triple flame torch too. Heating just past the second marker on the visual indicator

akp55

I believe someone with a similar issue in the thread said putting more material in the bowl helped fix the issue.

I'm liking airflow on the cap fully open, stem set to fully closed, or restricted bypass. This is using the direct airflow tube in the mouthpiece

I think draw speed can play a big factor. Slow steady draws usually give me a slow ramp up, then it starts to produce a lot of vapour. Cigar puffs work for mouth to lung draws

If you are using the ispire wand try following the recommended set up on the tempest manual. I got good results straight away. I am liking a triple flame torch too. Heating just past the second marker on the visual indicator
i think i finally may have gotten it. what side are you inserting your tempest from

delta hotel

You really have to jump in and take direct to lung hits with the Tempest. If you try to use it mouth to lung like other TEDs you're not taking advantage of it's potential.
This is how I use it and I'm LOVING it. I'm getting a nice dark roast on the bottom, and it's a little lighter on the top- I'd like to work through that, and maybe the direct would do me better, but I'm loving that setup for now. When I do reheat and get that last little bit darker, it's a wispy hit, so I don't think I'm missing much anyway.

akp55

Sorry about that, some early orders got out with burr in the tip connection.
If the threads are damaging the o-rings then please try to deburr it like I do in the video with a metal or ceramic tweezer, around the inner edge marked in the picture. That’s where it usually tears up the O-ring. Then grab a Q-tip with ISO and clean the inner threading where you push the bowl O-rings in as deeply as you can, pushing the cotton into the thread. Then clean it with the dry side of the Q-tip.

I have a Ti/Ti Tempest available locally in Australia, I've sent the wrong color to a customer.

No taxes to pay, net retail price + £7 shipping. Send a PM if interested.
thanks, i think that did the trick

TedJones

thanks, i think that did the trick
O-rings will compress a little over time making it easier also. My new head wouldn’t even budge past the first one. Put some lip balm on them and a little on the stem threads to squeeze it in. I’ve found a slight twist helps too. Will try that debur Brenyo showed above!

TedJones,

Minsc_NBoo

It should give good results with little amounts too. At least I get good results with 1/2 of a half bowl (well, 1/4 :lol:)

Yes, I was team half bowl for the first week and I had good results straight away . I'm probably doing 2/3 now.

I actually have trouble not getting massive clouds out of it...

(it's a good problem to have 😤🥴)

Aahyoo

I've had my Beta ti/ti since February and it has literally changed my life:
After nearly 30 years of combustion (on and off) and having also had DHV's for the past for 5 years; I finally fully switched, I also quit nicotine the week it arrived.

I already had a wand so was ready to go when it arrived. Sure there's a learning curve, but by following the advice in this thread and making small incremental changes I soon found my preferred setup and could ride the line to a sufficiently evenly toasted 1HE nearly every time.

Flavour from this device is excellent, and only gets better as you get to know the limits you can push your material to. I can often feel when the front of the bowl gets too hot too quickly, and have learnt to alter my draw strength, carb and mouth seal (to draw less as needed) to catch it before it burns.

I had the Tempest for nearly 6 months in Beta state and at first I didn't touch my other devices at all, until the Tempest needed a clean and I went back to dynas & battery dhvs... for the first time I truly appreciated my other devices properly... perhaps quitting nicotine, sticking to the half bowl setting and consistent heat/draw methods contributed to this... perhaps I just needed a change.. I don't know for sure, but I now use them more regularly than before. Imo Moderation is the key.

My upgrade pack was due to arrive last Saturday, so Friday became deep clean day in preparation. During this process I dropped and smashed my wand insert. Bummer.
I installed the click discs and spring without issues. The new induction sleeve spun too freely to stay set so I removed, squashed it a bit and replaced it. Nice 👌🏼.

My adapter is still on order thanks to the success of the launch, so I've been inducting with a steady hand the past few days which has been unsurprisingly inconsistent bit very interesting..
Unwittingly playing with the variables of where and how to heat, mixed with airflow settings and draw strength has allowed me to get some of the same failures that other users are experiencing.. thin wispy hits, under cooked material & occasional combustion... my advice to these users....

1.Take your device apart, clean it, rebuild it, get to know it.. (ensuring all components are fitted correctly and snugly) if there's any play, its not right. Lick them rings (!) and try again or you'll pull air from around the hot material instead of through it.
2. Draw air through the device when cold, empty and loaded. Understand what the airflow settings do and pick one.
3. Reduce the variables. Lock down your cap and stem airflow and try to maintain a slow steady draw strength.
4. Not all wands are the same.. some appear to heat higher than others. Batteries also vary massively...If you don't have a wand and adapter, get them. If you have these and you're still struggling, the liklihood is that it's set too deep or shallow. The aim is to heat the ball area only. Not the indicators, and not the bowl. Try making small changes as the difference here is HUGE.

The Rosewood stem looks incredible on the raw ti, though I'm back on the ti stem until my adapter arrives as I have needed the extra cooling!

I also picked up a Reload2 with my upgrade pack. An awesome addition for when out and about or just to declutter the tray (jamjars away!). If its not been requested before let me be the first in the queue for a ReloadTi ... the raw titanium of the Tempest is awesome and it'd be great to have the reload to match!

The upgrade parts have definitely changed colour more than my beta parts did, turning golden with the heat (possibly exacerbated by my lack of adapter).. there's also some initial burn off taste which I expect to settle down with use. Clicks seem to be where I'd expect though I also expect these may change with use.

I currently set to 295 and stop at solid light. I take an initial 5 sec slow draw and the amount of vapour I get will determine how long I continue to heat for.
(Usually 3-5 flashes ish.. ymmv)
.. with the available variables your mileage will almost definitely vary. Expect this and find what feels right for you. When you get it right you'll know for sure, just go slow and steady and try to retain heat in your (air-cooled) cap.

Aside from the utilitarian raw titanium and lightsaberesque asthetic, what makes this device special for me is its versatility and efficiency. When you get familiar with it a full session can be completed in 2-3 minutes (load, heat, vape, dump vb). This is a huge plus for me especially when trying to be inconspicuous.
I dump VB into my reload and use a small nylon (beard trimmer) cleaning brush after each use, removing toasted materials, reducing smell and lengthening the cleaning interval. I have little to no residual smell because of this and discipline on storage etc. This has just become part of my ritual now and takes seconds.

Is this the first dhv I'd recommend to a first time user? Not without supervision; But I'd wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a potential end game device. Get this baby right and I'm certain it'll be out performing anything else in the market for the foreseeable future.

Cheers to Brenyo for bringing us this device, all the spares and for being part of this community, your attention to customer satisfaction is rare nowadays. Though its been tough to remain patient for everything; hats off to you for doing all this yourself this time around. Please get staff in future though 😜

DaBouse

and if anyone happens to be in NYC this weekend and would like to help a dummy figure out how to use the tempest, please hit me up! i'll supply consumables.

I had a lot more success by packing the bowl a bit fuller as well as changing the stem airflow to closed. It didn’t dawn on me until a couple days ago that the stem airflow can be used as a carb. That has also enhanced the experience.

At this point I’m now keeping my stem set to bypass, but for the majority of my pull, I’m covering the stem hole. Reason being is so I can get a burst of hot air directly across the herb without taking in too much cool air.

DaBouse,
Top Bottom