Discontinued The Sublimator

Tweek

You actually might end up being the ideal tester...you like small loads, and Enrico is indicating that smaller is best...I am seriously interested in how it makes you feel vs your other units with the same dosage.

satyrday

it made for a bong not a tiny bubbler if your sublimator does not stand steady in your bong... get another rig .this is almost a half pound of radiating metal ...you need a safe rig to operate it in "4inch base )donot heat it up on the stand please
I'm using the VB Mini bubbler but I wouldn't recommend it for most users since it requires several precautionary measures. First, since it is very tippy, the large Pyrex baking dish I have it sitting in is a must. Second, I am having to carefully position the two handles to balance it so it doesn't tip - the atomizer handle is pointing one direction and the Apollo handle 180deg opposite. Third, I'm placing the Apollo cord under the corner of the dish to secure it because even the force of it pulling down might knock it all over. Finally, the position of the mouthpiece puts my eyes too close to the hot hump on the Apollo before I remove it to clear. I'm staring right at it which is unnerving. I believe PV had said in a previous post that this and the $40 bubbler should work, and while that's true, you have to be a safety nut not to burn yourself doing it. I have zero burns so far, but it is a balancing act.

satyrday,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Anyone using the 14mm atomizer with a 14-18 low profile reducer for use in 18mm stems?

I'm wondering if this solves any issues with leaving the atomizer in the downstem and negating heat expansion.

I plan to use the 14mm in a 18mm joint with a reducer. I was also thinking about this, as I don't mind if the reducer gets stuck in place on the atomizer while it's hot.

I believe PV had said in a previous post that this and the $40 bubbler should work, and while that's true, you have to be a safety nut not to burn yourself doing it. I have zero burns so far, but it is a balancing act.

I know said I was going to try the $40 bub, but now it doesn't look like a good idea. The weight of the Sub alone will probably be too much for that tiny, cheap glass. I wouldn't trust the welds TBO, I'll just save that for the portables. I am even thinking that my Lev. showerhead bub will be a bit too small, but maybe once I'm at expert level with using the Sub, I can try it. I believe it is similar in size/shape to your VB mini.

Tweek

The only part that will get stuck, is the area in contact with the white teflon piece. So I would imagine the reducer would be the only part to clamp onto the atomizer when hot.

satyrday

I know said I was going to try the $40 bub, but now it doesn't look like a good idea. The weight of the Sub alone will probably be too much for that tiny, cheap glass. I wouldn't trust the welds TBO, I'll just save that for the portables. I am even thinking that my Lev. showerhead bub will be a bit too small, but maybe once I'm at expert level with using the Sub, I can try it. I believe it is similar in size/shape to your VB mini.
Yeah, it's getting me by, but I need to shop for a bigger more stable bub. The small volume is nice for small loads like the last one I reported on though since it helps to concentrate the vapor. If someone can recommend a wide stable bubbler with a smaller than usual volume please let me know (diffusion properties don't matter as I plan on continuing to use it dry).

Darb

I zip tied the cord to the base of my bong so the power switch is about three inches away.
This is my new favourite tool.
It does concentrates easier and better than any other device I've tried.
I really love how I can evenly brown a whole bowl in one big smooth hit.

The atomizer seems to be a little loose in my 18mm stem. Hot or cold. Anybody else?
Does anybody else have trouble keeping the two pieces of the atomizer (bowl and stem) tightly screwed together?

JCat

Accessory Maker
The atomizer seems to be a little loose in my 18mm stem. Hot or cold. Anybody else?
Does anybody else have trouble keeping the two pieces of the atomizer (bowl and stem) tightly screwed together?

Mine seems a little loose too ... I'd check the seal by forming a seal on the top but I can't without burning the crap out of myself once it's heated up :) (although it sits above the joint so it's more wiggle like on the Cloud due to the taper being not identical in the 2 pieces.

I did have a bit of an issue keeping them screwed together at first ... now I just make sure to always twist a little clockwise when doing things that way I'm always tightening as opposed to loosening and it seems to have solved the problem.

DeltaNine

Enrico or PV,

are there plans to modify the design of the sublimator in any significant way once more user feedback surfaces? Such as improvements to safety (secure stand for appolo + atomizer, protective housing on atomizer so it is cool on the outside (I can imagine lifting from just one side of the glass joint could make it more difficult to remove-- which is why it would be nice to replace the handle-- it would feel more like slide bowls people are used to as well)), or the functionality (ie. small improvements from further R&D) , design, etc.

Just wondering if I should wait a year maybe to get a more refined unit with all the bugs ironed out.. Dont know if I can afford to buy 2 500$ adapt a bongs if my original becomes obsolete.

Thanks.

DeltaNine,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Tweek

Doubt you will see any major changes for awhile, as it just got released...that being said, most folks around here either buy a unit and enjoy it either upgrading down the road or just being happy with what they have. Otherwise, you could wait a year if you want...personally, I don't really see any bugs so far. It gets hot, but people torch nails all day without issue.

The current version has nothing about it that will make it obsolete...they might improve on it, but the one you buy today will probably still do the same thing, even with refinements.

Tweek,

DeltaNine

The thing with torch + nail is, you heat it and focus carefully while doing so.. Then use it. one or two minutes later its still hot but not crazy hot. Something like this is super hot for longer periods and stoners will forget about it sitting on the table and get seriously burned. I realize it's not a toy and should be used with care, but I believe even you mentioned you burned yourself on it a bit. I have never burned myself on a ti nail, and personally don't know anyone who has (granted there could be plenty of people who have, idk).

DeltaNine,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

green2brown

The thing with torch + nail is, you heat it and focus carefully while doing so.. Then use it. one or two minutes later its still hot but not crazy hot. Something like this is super hot for longer periods and stoners will forget about it sitting on the table and get seriously burned. I realize it's not a toy and should be used with care, but I believe even you said you mentioned you burned yourself on it a bit. I have never burned myself on a ti nail, and personally don't know anyone who has (granted there could be plenty of people who have, idk).

After a few days getting comfortable with it, the Sublimator becomes second nature to use and the safety concerns lessen. Once a better stand comes out that can hold both the atomizer and Apollo there won't be much left to complain about with this unit.

John Lewus

The Sub couldn't be any easier really. Just drop some bud into it to load. And turn the atomizer upside down and give it a firm tap on the table to empty.

This might be a dumb followup question but is this something you have to do between every loads? The thing about the cloud that I like so much are the ELB's and that I can pre-load 10 of them and just go through an ELB every couple of hours. When I clean I pull out my tray, put all the ELBs on there, and dump/brush each one all at once. Every couple of weeks I soak all my ELB's in PBW so that they are super clean. The cloud itself rarely gets dirty except for the resin ring that can build up but an iso tipped qtip usually takes care of that. I have found a really efficient process with the cloud to get medicated and am wondering from a purely convenience viewpoint which one has the advantage. I don't have a dedicated smoking table and have to be discreet at my house because of conservative relatives so things like this really matter to me.

John Lewus,

Tweek

No, as mentioned already...you have to dump the bowl in between loads as the atomizer has to be kept at the same temp as the apollo. The loads are usually really small in most cases.

DeltaNine

Yeah I burned myself. But I've burned myself cooking a pizza in the oven as well.

Haha, well as they say to each their own. If you use the sublimator responsibly you will absolutely get as much enjoyment out of it as anyone with a future model, your correct there.

Still, I am interested to know if Enrico or PV could shed some light on my question, it may be something other consumers like myself would be concerned about as well.

green2brown

This might be a dumb followup question but is this something you have to do between every loads? The thing about the cloud that I like so much are the ELB's and that I can pre-load 10 of them and just go through an ELB every couple of hours. When I clean I pull out my tray, put all the ELBs on there, and dump/brush each one all at once. Every couple of weeks I soak all my ELB's in PBW so that they are super clean. The cloud itself rarely gets dirty except for the resin ring that can build up but an iso tipped qtip usually takes care of that. I have found a really efficient process with the cloud to get medicated and am wondering from a purely convenience viewpoint which one has the advantage. I don't have a dedicated smoking table and have to be discreet at my house because of conservative relatives so things like this really matter to me.

The Sublimator does require you to empty each load before filling it with a new one. The atomizer has a large capacity, but it's all one piece. And the Apollo needs to be sitting on the atomizer at all times to keep the atomizer's heat up, so if you leave a bowl pre-packed it'll just cook from conduction. So you may prefer the Cloud for this reason. But I find just leaving a grinder filled with bud ground up for the day is easy enough. Loading the atomizer literally just involves pinching your ground bud and dropping it into the top of the atomizer. And a quick flip and tap of the atomizer will empty it. Very simple.

DeltaNine

I think it heats up much more effectively in the bong than out in the open air, so for me the Apollo Bay alone is fine.

First of all, there have been mentions of glass joints sticking if you leave the unit in the bong to heat (confirm? Pretty sure I read that in this thread), this could potentially lead to cracks.
Secondly, a stand could be designed that could better enclose the unit greatly increasing heat up speeds (potentially), so I don't think that's a valid point to veto a stand.

After a few days getting comfortable with it, the Sublimator becomes second nature to use and the safety concerns lessen. Once a better stand comes out that can hold both the atomizer and Apollo there won't be much left to complain about with this unit.

That's pretty much true, if it had a solid stand I think I would have one of these bad boys.

DeltaNine,

Tweek

I'm not sure if you can do oil in the cloud, but I will definitely say that is a benefit to the sublimator if you are into dabbing. The ability to toss herb in the lower chamber and the jam a fat dab in the crater, is awesome. :mmmm:

First of all, there have been mentions of glass joints sticking if you leave the unit in the bong to heat (confirm? Pretty sure I read that in this thread), this could potentially lead to cracks.
Secondly, a stand could be designed that could better enclose the unit greatly increasing heat up speeds (potentially), so I don't think that's a valid point to veto a stand.

Your glass won't get hot enough to crack. Actually, warming the atomizer in your piece is the best way to avoid cracking vs dropping a hot atomizer onto cold glass. I will try and get a measurement next time.

green2brown

Just wondering if I should wait a year maybe to get a more refined unit with all the bugs ironed out.. Dont know if I can afford to buy 2 500$ adapt a bongs if my original becomes obsolete.

In a year I'm sure the market will be flooded with a number of other great vapes. And then a year from then a new batch of even better vapes will be out. One year is a long time in the technological world.

DeltaNine

In a year I'm sure the market will be flooded with a number of other great vapes. And then a year from then a new batch of even better vapes will be out. One year is a long time in the technological world.

In the past I would've disagreed, the volcano for example was (and still is) around for years -- therefore a top of the line device like the sublimator has the potential to remain top of the line for years to come.

But, it definitely seems like a lot of new things are coming out as dabbing and vaping have been growing so much in popularity.

DeltaNine,

CheeseSandwich

I have a cloud and I wouldn't say that its that much easier? It's pretty quick to dump and reload the sub. Though I'm not one to load a bunch of elb's up. I'd usually just dump and refill the elb.

DeltaNine

Your glass won't get hot enough to crack. Actually, warming the atomizer in your piece is the best way to avoid cracking vs dropping a hot atomizer onto cold glass. I will try and get a measurement next time.

My thoughts were more along the lines of after heating the glass, anything cold that touches it may cause it to crack. Ground glass joints crack pretty easily sometimes.

DeltaNine,
Top Bottom