The Screwball by Vapvana

coolbreeze

Timing. Just set your temp and wait at least 5 min after the PID gets to where you set it. If it were a “live” reading, it would go past your setting by roughly 10 degrees, then slowly dip back down, all while the gems are being heated up.

Really the only temp that matters is that of the air going from the head, into the bowl. Betting that’s hard to measure and anything over 450 you’re not going to have a good time :ko:
Exactly. The DC PIDs use an offset meant to estimate the the temp inside the banger, rather than the coil. The point is, the temp is a measure of the sensor in the coil, not the temperature of the the housing, the balls, the air delivered to the bowl, and not necessarily even the temp of the coil besides that point. The temp shown is like having a dial that goes from 1-10, it's a marker of a not-actually-measured temperature that works with your setup and preferences.

JohnnyTorres

Finally got around to making a spacer for my S&B Dosing Caps.
That looks perfect! How has it worked out for you so far? Do you have plans to sell any of them in the future? :brow:

Dum question but how can you tell if your screwball is getting has hot has the PID says . I have a cheap IR temp gun and it's showing no where near 540f

The SB definitely seem to be working just wondering . I also got one of them meat thermometer coming so I can touch the coil and get a temp reading

I posed nearly this same question earlier in the thread and Cal did some digging just to put me at ease. Basically, if your temp gun is similar to ours, the field of measurement is too large to get a good reading. Cal later did a few videos and Instagram Lives with temp probes to show some of the temperature variances. Nothing gets super accurate, but it's definitely interesting. Check his updates in the thread for all the videos.

JohnnyTorres,
Reactions: lava

Eeyore35

I'm so looking forward to this week. SB shipped Friday, FC-199 arrived yesterday and I have been stocking up on a variety of strains to appreciate.

Got my Dynavap B last week and it's nice but doesn't really hit me that hard (probably will improve with experience and I sure hope I can avoid further combustion.😠) Been watching videos and read through the entire thread to catch up and I am stoked that I will be able to really appreciate the 15 different strains I've accumulated. 😋

Thank you to everyone who has contributed along the way and looking forward to sharing more as I join the anti ball ball vape club.

lava

Bro holy shit your gonna love it . I have same bong and also a dyna vape B . Can't wait to hear what you have say about it . 15 types of herb !!! Am.coming over

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
My screwball was next to the club h and a pillow melted ALL OVER it! How do I clean this out? Will I need new rubies too?if I do need new rubies, how will I even get them?

Last edited:

Mr.Grumpy

That looks perfect! How has it worked out for you so far? Do you have plans to sell any of them in the future? :brow:

It looks good, but unfortunately, I'm finding the titanium bowl and aluminium ring (more so the aluminium) pulls too much heat out of the air stream. I have to run the Screwball hotter to get the same effects. I've gone back to using the 14 to 18mm glass adapter as a dosing cap holder for now.

Might try turning a full wooden dosing cap adapter when I have a chance. I've already modified one of Ed's cocobolo bowls to fit the Screwball, which works out amazingly well. It's pretty much air tight without the high temp o-ring, but it's easier to get a seal with the o-ring when your high. :lol:

AndyO

I was just watching the new video that Lee from TTB has posted with the new Screwball housing.

I wasn't enamoured with the new housing, I wasn't sure about an update that seemingly reduced airflow. But with his review that airflow isn't reduced at all all - and with the new housing looking so damn sexy, i think i might have to buy it :(

It really does look tremendous.

dudeguy

My screwball was next to the club h and a pillow melted ALL OVER it! How do I clean this out? Will I need new rubies too?if I do need new rubies, how will I even get them?

Not sure if the rubies can handle the heat but if so torching them with a jet flame could be a solution to get them clean again.

JohnnyTorres

I have successfully burned off carpet crud when my head hit the floor. Put it outside and turn the PID up, after an hour you can turn it off, let it cool, then any crud left over should brush off easily. The rubies are a different beast, depending on how much got in, you may be able to clean them with the burnoff, or you may need new ones.

lava

Maybe contact cal see what he recommends. And good luck with fixing it . I did a burn off at like 900f for 5min so maybe you can crank that heat up and burn that nasty stuff off

2pumpchump

I have have to do a cleaning job on mine before with carpet and got to do one now because right before I left for the weekend I have one of My pain drop spells I'm subing my screwball for a different ball vape till I can clean it .
I would start with the vape cold try to pick and scrub as much off with a dry green scrubbing dish pad. The heat to around 300f at this point it should be kinda like hot glue try to wipe anything you can off with BIG hands full of paper towels.
Next set screwball to 700f for at least 30 minutes or more power off let cool and re cleaning .
Edit: or contact cal

b3team

Just got it! Here is my quick review after 45 mins and 3 bowls:

Packaging very generic. This doesn’t bother me at all. It did include a hand written note thanking me for early support.

The device seems well made, the bowl feels pretty good. The screen doesn’t sit in the middle of the bowl as perfectly as it does in the cannabis hardware one. This doesn’t effect function, but more of a small details thing. The cannabis hardware bowl feels like a tank and this feels more like a jeep.

I did a burn off and then set it to 490 for the first hit. Good god, it does not stop. Incredible. Compared to CH Mercury/shovelhead, the screwball is just a better and harder hitter. It’s not really close. I will say, the wireless CH system is nice in the sense that there isn’t cords everywhere. It feels a lot less cluttered. But the hits are not comparable. If you want elegance and simplicity and minimalist, I guess the CH is still good. I prefer the screwball.

It really should have a coil guard, this is an accident waiting to happen in my confined space i smoke in. I am glad they are making one.

The cocobolo handles on the CH gear are nicer.

This is interesting: on the same 18mm glass piece, my CH bowl never got stuck to the glass once. The screwball bowl gets fused to my glass piece every time I use it. I strongly prefer how the CH shovel head bowl does not expand or is designed in a way to not stick to glass. Comparing the 2 side by side upside down, the CH connector is at least twice as thick as screwball. I suspect this is the real reason why the CH doesn’t see the same expansion/contraction as the screwball bowl. With the screwball bowl, best bet is to just let it cool down before trying to disconnect it.

The sqp tool is nice and heavier than I was expecting. I am not sure that the sqp size correlates perfectly with the bowl size, but it’s nice nonetheless. I like it and I will use it.

PID is surprisingly compact and good (I think). The cord connection seems good. Changes temp way better than CH one. Has an auto-off timer.

Mine did include the new top, which looks and works awesome, but I never tried an old OG one, so I can’t compare. I do think this vape has gotten to the point where it is basically perfectly extracting the flower. Overall, very impressed. Best flower vape hit I have ever experienced. Great value for the price and prob best ball vape you can buy.
To update my screwball review, after using it over 50 times, I am gonna change my initial opinion slightly and say the cannabis hardware is still my go to vape, but it’s really close. I just appreciate the build quality and overall experience slightly more when I consider the entire picture. The screwball has the following negatives:

-sticks to glass every single time I use it. This means that i either wait till it cools down to remove from my glass, or use an adapter. This is annoying and my biggest reason I am reaching for the CH more. I prefer to not to have to use an adapter/middle-glass.

-the shovel head bowl from ch is more efficient than the screwball bowl imo. Or, it’s at least smaller, which I prefer. I have to use about 20-40% more flower in the screwball bowl to do a minimum fill.

-I don’t know why, but I feel like I prefer the taste of the CH a tiny bit better. I might be imagining this though.

Overall, the screwball has a lot of advantages over the CH setup as well, first and foremost it’s a harder hitter. Also a better pid experience, better price, and I don’t have to time the hits because it’s always powered. but I think with all things considered, I am gonna give a final score of Cannabis Hardware Moab essentials: 9, screwball: 8.5. If anyone is interested in a more detailed comparison breakdown, let me know.

I am glad I bought the screwball, I use it everyday, and I would definitely buy it again if mine broke. I still think it’s the best value for money for a ball vape.

If anyone has any questions about the vape or comparing it to wireless ch system, just ask, I would be happy to help.

Razzle_N_Dazzle

The updated Screwball head is now available on the Vapvana website for current Screwball owners only.

-sticks to glass every single time I use it. This means that i either wait till it cools down to remove from my glass, or use an adapter. This is annoying and my biggest reason I am reaching for the CH more. I prefer to not to have to use an adapter/middle-glass.

-the shovel head bowl from ch is more efficient than the screwball bowl imo. Or, it’s at least smaller, which I prefer. I have to use about 20-40% more flower in the screwball bowl to do a minimum fill.

The glass joint/micro dose bowl that is currently in development might solve these issues you're having. It's an extra cost of course but it's still a potential solution.

Last edited:

lava

The updated Screwball head is now available on the Vapvana website for current Screwball owners only.

The glass joint/micro dose bowl that is currently in development might solve these issues you're having. It's an extra cost of course but it's still a potential solution.
I bought the pass through adapter cal sells it doesn't stick has much as the other pass through adapter i have .

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
I've never had those issues. Cal is helping me out with this mess (literally). And I sort of agree on the comparison to the CH vape except a few things. I like my SB taste better and, since I have a z8, I'm not super worried about a minimum dose because I keep both units close by with some clever storage for hot swapping if needed (a coffee mug). But if I HAD to have one vape, I'd say the CH shovelheads might be a tad more versatile. But they also run ~200-300 degrees f hotter for me. So maybe if I turn up the SB I'll find more similar results? Idk I'm at a 6-7/10 rn. Have a good evening y'all

gmocooties

[...] but I have to presoak it in a coil to get the effects I like as it takes soooooo much heat to get it heated up to the point that it produces usable conduction.

Have you thought about trying a heated bowl, like the Electropath or Vulcan bowl? I grabbed a Vulcan recently (the Flower Kettle/Electropath combo is sexy as fuck, but $$$) and having a coil-driven bowl means your shit vaporizes just aboo8utú instantly. Pairs really well with the Screwball heater too.

I don't think I've ever cashed a bowl as quickly as I have with this set-up - and I mean squeezed every last drop of vapour out of it 😵‍💫 Running multiple PIDs and coils is a bit of a nightmare though. Especially when you're baked.

Kushlash

It finally came in, and I've been trying my screwball for the past two days. I'm quite enjoying it thus far. Coming from a dynavap, I was a honestly a bit shocked at how smooth my first hit was. With the temp up to 525f at the half bowl setting, my lungs were just fine.

I'm looking forward to the newly designed bowl so I can drop the adapter. I've been using it with a Purr corn cob bubbler, and the adapter adds extra height; I think it'll all be nicer-in-hand without the adapter.

Bababouy

I bought the pass through adapter cal sells it doesn't stick has much as the other pass through adapter i have .
I believe this is because the joint isn't ground which helps prevent the sticking. I have really liked mine as a passthrough on pieces that cannot accept a drop down. Does anyone have any idea what size the screen is? The pack that came with it is a different size than the one that was installed. It works well as an 18mm injector bowl too, gets the herb closer to the heater than any other injector bowl I have.

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
I hooked my Screwball up to older PID I had laying around as the high pitched sound I was getting from my Vapvana one was bugging me... What I realized is that my older PID, while it showed live temperature which was fun to watch as you don't see that on the little green PID... I think the older PID is underpowered, it didn't really like trying to heat up the Screwball... The Screwball heater was creaking and groaning as the thing tried to heat up the coil, it got there eventually, it took a minute or 2 to get to temp and then about 10-15 minutes to completely heat soak....

I didn't really apricate the little green PID (which is soon to be a Vapvana branded PID) but its surprisingly good, reliable and I really like the Automatic off timer.... it just needs to "shhhhh" as its a bit noisy at the moment :p

PGLion

Newbie here, need some help...

I love terpy, flavorful, low temperature vapor. I get decent results with my SB at 210C (410F) in combination with the Sidecar Matrix bong. The chamber fills pretty quickly with acceptable thick vapor. With the half bowl filled to the rim I get 3 good hits.

The Flat Earth Globe MK 2 bong however, generates way less vapor at the same temperature settings. The vapor generated is thinner and appears way slower. I can get more hits, but no vapor and less taste.

What to do to get the best flavor on all my glass?

coolbreeze

Newbie here, need some help...

I love terpy, flavorful, low temperature vapor. I get decent results with my SB at 210C (410F) in combination with the Sidecar Matrix bong. The chamber fills pretty quickly with acceptable thick vapor. With the half bowl filled to the rim I get 3 good hits.

The Flat Earth Globe MK 2 bong however, generates way less vapor at the same temperature settings. The vapor generated is thinner and appears way slower. I can get more hits, but no vapor and less taste.

What to do to get the best flavor on all my glass?
I wonder if adding some restriction would help? I'd ask in the cheap bubbler thread, those guys will know what to do.

Hello, I just got my Screwball in today! I have been using a Dynavap as my only source of Vaporizer for a few years now. Loving this thing so far.
Awesome!

TedJones

The Flat Earth Globe MK 2 bong however, generates way less vapor at the same temperature settings. The vapor generated is thinner and appears way slower.
This looks like a 14mm joint & down stem like most globes. There’s also a lot more space to fill with vapor so these are contributing to resistance & hard to fill rig imo. Assuming the sidecar is 18 with less volume so the open airflow of the SB works well with it. Could try minimal water to barely cover perk or none at all :brow: A bit lower temp on PID maybe. Very loose bowl fill too.

Top Bottom