The Screwball by Vapvana

EasyVape

I just swapped out the OG housing for the latest design (this went smoother than I expected). To pull this off you will need a mg scale to weigh out the gemstones (new housing holds ~20% less gems vs OG housing and needs weighed out). Thanks to Cal for the video guide and print off, can't wait for the new glass bowl/ micro dose bowl.

TedJones

I just swapped out the OG housing for the latest design (this went smoother than I expected). To pull this off you will need a mg scale to weigh out the gemstones (new housing holds ~20% less gems vs OG housing and needs weighed out). Thanks to Cal for the video guide and print off, can't wait for the new glass bowl/ micro dose bowl.
Nice! Let us know how they differ after some use :tup:

EasyVape

Will Do. First impressions; I like the air pocket/screen at the top of the housing. I assume this allows for thermal expansion of the gemstones as they heat up and press against the flexible screens in the new housing vs the rigid containment of the gems in the OG housing lid/bottom clip. The performance seems about the same, I'll need to spend more time with it to suss out the details.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Cal replaced my unit that ruined (thank you so much sir!!!) and what he sent was the updated version. It feels significantly lighter and yet manages to actually feel less airy in the vapor than my previous unit. I've actually bumped my temp down about 20 degrees f to compensate for the new efficiency. Very excited for this microdose bowl to add to the setup. I will say I miss the heft of the old head but performance is performance.

LotV

Got my new Screwball housing in today, opted to convert it to work with my 25mm wireless coils by removing the lower lip on the housing. I'm really liking the look of the new lid and has been working great with 2mm zirc balls instead of gem cut.
:love:

Hell of an idea; thanks so much for sharing!! Just curious, how did you remove the lower lip?

jkeyes98

:love:

Hell of an idea; thanks so much for sharing!! Just curious, how did you remove the lower lip?
Thanks!
I used an angle grinder with some sanding discs and put the head in a drill with some Velcro to hold the trigger down. I started with 40grit then went to 120grit as I was getting close to the body, after it was nearly flush I finished it up with the dremel and buffing wheels.
Sanding Discs

Ended up using this as the base for the handle, just bent it into place and snugged it over the cap then 3d printed a handle that clamps onto it.
SS Tube OD-3mm ID-2mm

I didn't take any good photos of the screwball while modding it but here are a couple photos of when I did the B0

Kushlash

Thanks!
I used an angle grinder with some sanding discs and put the head in a drill with some Velcro to hold the trigger down. I started with 40grit then went to 120grit as I was getting close to the body, after it was nearly flush I finished it up with the dremel and buffing wheels.
Sanding Discs

Ended up using this as the base for the handle, just bent it into place and snugged it over the cap then 3d printed a handle that clamps onto it.
SS Tube OD-3mm ID-2mm

I didn't take any good photos of the screwball while modding it but here are a couple photos of when I did the B0
Wow! Thanks for sharing your B0 conversion process, I love the idea.

Kushlash,

EasyVape

I like the look of the new head but 20% less gems seems like a lot
I’m not concerned about the reduction in gems. The holes in the lid are thick enough to transfer heat to the intake air. You see a good example of this in the OWW TKO with the new titanium disk packs completely replacing/phasing out pearls/gems. The new Screwball lid holds heat similar to these new disk packs

coolbreeze

I’m not concerned about the reduction in gems. The holes in the lid are thick enough to transfer heat to the intake air. You see a good example of this in the OWW TKO with the new titanium disk packs completely replacing/phasing out pearls/gems. The new Screwball lid holds heat similar to these new disk packs
I may have to try these discs in mine. Sorta like the Camouflet heaters but with more heat retention.

EasyVape

After spending some time with the new housing, I’ve noticed a significant improvement in efficiency, allowing me to lower the temperature by about 10 to 20 degrees Fahrenheit. The SB provides the closest experience I’ve had to a “flower dab,” with nearly 100% even roast and no stirring needed. I love how the bit of conduction adds full-spectrum medicinal effects, which I find work better for me at night vs the pure convection vapes I’ve tried.

For anyone using their SB with an Auber RDK-300B, have you noticed it runs hotter compared to the stock PID? I’ve found that lowering the temperature to around 460°F still produces amazing results with a perfect golden roast.

DogBoy

know fear
...I looked but I did not see this...I saw terp pearls...???...

DogBoy,

Mickk

So I don't have a bong yet, but am slowly looking around to pick one up for home use. Going the ballvape route seems the best way to go

I'm looking at all the different options that are out there, and the Vapvana looks really, really good (great work @Vapvana !)

How is everyone liking their Vapvana's? How noob-friendly is it? Any pro's and con's over similar devices that are important to keep in mind?

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
So I don't have a bong yet, but am slowly looking around to pick one up for home use. Going the ballvape route seems the best way to go

I'm looking at all the different options that are out there, and the Vapvana looks really, really good (great work @Vapvana !)

How is everyone liking their Vapvana's? How noob-friendly is it? Any pro's and con's over similar devices that are important to keep in mind?
Totally noob friendly, very simple to use.

The first thing is that there is a 100 day Guarantee and Life Time Warranty & Cal (@Vapvana) is great when it comes to handling issues so when you get a Screwball Cal is so confident he gives you 100 days to make sure you're happy with the purchase... Who does that?

I'm also Australian so with our draconian vaping laws its good to know that I can still get support from Cal and have done so since the laws came into play.

Pro's
  • The Screwball runs at lower temperatures than most other "ball" vapes; that translates into a cooler vapour, reduced throat tickle, reduced harshness and for me it meant I wasn't coughing (in comparison to the Taroma 360 I was using at the time) which was a big selling point.
  • The Screwballs titanium bowl is quite large but has multiple configurations half bowl is about 0.15g-0.2g depending on how you pack it and full bowl is between 0.3g & 0.4g again depending on how much you pack
  • The Screwballs bowl is lighter and thinner than most of the metal bowls on the market, this allows it to heat up quickly to add just enough conduction to remove the need to stir the bowl. A number of other systems actually recommend stirring between hits
  • The Screwball bowl cools down quickly which decreases accidental burns when emptying and refilling the bowl
  • Price! the price of the the kit is still in presale status and as such is offered at a reduced price with an additional 10% discount when using the code at check out.
  • Cal is constantly looking to improve the product and providing those upgrades / updates to existing customers at a reasonable cost. Its really nice to be able to get the new heater setup for a reasonable cost on the accessories page for those of us with the older version.
Soon to be Pro's
  • There is a micro-dosing solution that's in development, a smaller bowl size to be used with the existing heater (very keen for this)
Cons
  • The Screwball bowl currently is only available with a 18mm stem
  • The Screwball bowl is quite large, you can set it to half bowl which decreases the conduction and means you need to raise the temperature to get the same sort of experience.
  • PID doesn't show the live temperature, its really minor - a preference thing
  • The screwball is built for Flower - some other systems have integrated "dab" / concentrate features which the Screwball doesn't - again preference

I have a few ball vapes and the Screwball gets the most use of the wired devices by a long shot and I have recently sold the one of them because I will never use it again

Last edited:

Mickk

The first thing is that there is a 100 day Guarantee and Life Time Warranty & Cal (@Vapvana) is great when it comes to handling issues so when you get a Screwball Cal is so confident he gives you 100 days to make sure you're happy with the purchase... Who does that?
Sounds like Cal isn't screwing around! (sorry, I couldn't resist 😂)

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, @VapingYogi - I really appreciate it! Your post gave me all the info I was after, and I'm sure it's helpful to other people who are in the same boat

Thank you so much!

coolbreeze

I'm also Australian so with our draconian vaping laws its good to know that I can still get support from Cal and have done so since the laws came into play.

Pro's
  • The Screwball runs at lower temperatures than most other "ball" vapes; that translates into a cooler vapour, reduced throat tickle, reduced harshness and for me it meant I wasn't coughing (in comparison to the Taroma 360 I was using at the time) which was a big selling point.
  • The Screwballs titanium bowl is quite large but has multiple configurations half bowl is about 0.15g-0.2g depending on how you pack it and full bowl is between 0.3g & 0.4g again depending on how much you pack
  • The Screwballs bowl is lighter and thinner than most of the metal bowls on the market, this allows it to heat up quickly to add just enough conduction to remove the need to stir the bowl. A number of other systems actually recommend stirring between hits
  • The Screwball bowl cools down quickly which decreases accidental burns when emptying and refilling the bowl
  • Price! the price of the the kit is still in presale status and as such is offered at a reduced price with an additional 10% discount when using the code at check out.
  • Cal is constantly looking to improve the product and providing those upgrades / updates to existing customers at a reasonable cost. Its really nice to be able to get the new heater setup for a reasonable cost on the accessories page for those of us with the older version.
Soon to be Pro's
  • There is a micro-dosing solution that's in development, a smaller bowl size to be used with the existing heater (very keen for this)
Cons
  • The Screwball bowl currently is only available with a 18mm stem
  • The Screwball bowl is quite large, you can set it to half bowl which decreases the conduction and means you need to raise the temperature to get the same sort of experience.
  • PID doesn't show the live temperature, its really minor - a preference thing
  • The screwball is built for Flower - some other systems have integrated "dab" / concentrate features which the Screwball doesn't - again preference

I have a few ball vapes and the Screwball gets the most use of the wired devices by a long shot and I have recently sold the one of them because I will never use it again
Perfectly stated. All this reflects my experience, as well. Can't see why you wouldn't love it. ; )

ewtwolf

I just got mine today, here’s my quick comparison as I already own the Terp Hammer/Dab Ready setup:

FWIW, I typically do a session style experience with my ball vapes, vs the mega one and done hits. I was most interested in the heat soak ability and the tighter airflow with the gems, and wow, it delivers massive extraction. Serious stoner feel. But, flavor wise, Terp Hammer still comes out on top. That just has this light wispy fragrant flavor that is so pleasing. Probably the glass bowl/injector style difference — I’m still dialing in my temps so that might change things. Right now running 450 on the Screwball, and 580 on the Terp Hammer.

Cal was awesome and threw in the glass pass through with carb adapter as it sold out when I placed my order — which is also an injector bowl so I can use it with my Terp Hammer too! I like the form factor of the Dab Ready a bit more vs the SB PID. It’s like an unassuming espresso machine on my counter. I got the wood stand for it which just adds to the elegant look. The wireless aspect is 50/50 to me. I can milk a bowl into my GooRoo Hookah with the Screwball and then go sit down and sip on it. But I like how with the Terp Hammer I can move to sit down away from my 420 bar to do the same, and as it starts to cool over the session, you get some nice low temp tasty hits at the end. Both vapes are built really well. Maybe the handle on the Terp Hammer is nicer. I also like the dab ready acting as a holder for the TH, vs the metal shield thing with the SB. But value wise, Screwball all the way. It was $300 less! Albeit including the wood stand as an extra cost.

Quick edit: I do notice the vapor from the SB is smoother. I don’t cough as much vs the TH which just drys out my throat easily. I’ve run it through the GooRoo Hookah and a Diamond Glass Shower Head Perc with a whip.

TL;DR — Terp Hammer is more flavorful and the Screwball is more potent. Wireless can be worked around with SB by milking bowl into a larger glass piece. Best bang for buck is Screwball by at least a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited:

EasyVape

Maybe the handle on the Terp Hammer is nicer.
Checkout my SB with the updated housing/lid and DFreeZ Cocobolo handle:
it delivers massive extraction. Serious stoner feel
Exactly what I'm thinking. For me, the SB delivers a balanced stoned/cerebral high from the combination of convection/conduction. I find it super relaxing and medicinal at 480F

Top Bottom