Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
...Here's an image from late Tuesday afternoon--outside, trying to be both COVID-safe and get everything done before the rain came. We took several hours opening each box from the factory to inspect the quality. We had to reject a few in the process and have sent revised inspection protocols to the factory. We are obsessive about quality, so once your units arrive, please let us know if we missed anything.

Also, we'll be having some virtual "toastings" starting next week to answer any questions folks have and to help dial in the experience. And, yes, @MonkeyTime we are happy to have others join us for those even if you haven't received your Neo yet. :-)

-Mark

Neo first boxing.jpg

MonkeyTime

@Black_Prrl , no worries, you won't be able to keep me away!

This isn't just a new take on an existing technology, this is a whole new way to vape baby!

Can anyone that's gotten the email tell me where they're shipping from? I have one package coming today from TX, but I haven't seen my email yet to confirm if that's it.

MonkeyTime,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

CaleidosCope

@Drug and @CaleidosCope, sorry for the delay on international orders. We wanted to use the first domestic shipments as a test of our processes. Don't worry, we set all of the first international aside and will push those out today.

Unfortunately, we spent much of yesterday trying to sort out what happened to the products we shipped on Tuesday. For some reason, the Post Office isn't showing their tracking #s and can't tell us which facility the two large postal bags were sent to... We went directly to a regional distribution center to talk with them yesterday. We will be dropping all future shipments there instead of the normal public post office.

Thanks for all-y'all's patience as we figure out these systems!!
All Cool! I ordered things in March from ThommyD ... took only 90 Days. So call me CaleidosCoPATIENCE.

CaleidosCope,

Mr. Me2

And my Smojo screens arrived today so now I’m really ready and waiting for my Neo.

Okay, I lied. I need to give my Smojos an iso bath and rinse first...

Mr. Me2

Earlier he mentioned that VGoodiez was entering the orders right into the system and that they'd be shipping those orders... But no email for me either lol!
I think they’re going out based on the timing of the order, FIFO. There literally was a counter on their website that let you know how many were left in each pre-sale discount batch.

Do you know if you were in the first 100 ordered? If so, I think you’ll see the email soon!

thunderstealer1337

Im order 1108 and im part of the 2nd batch, I dont recall how many were listed for the first 50% off, but I thought I was part of the first 100

guess not, I was getting excited thinking I was part of the first 100, oh well.

thunderstealer1337,

floribud

I'm order 1103 (part of the 40% batch), I'm guess that makes me number 103 ... I guess I picked at bad week to take a break from FC back in September. @thunderstealer1337 there were 50 in the 50% off group and 75 in the 40%, so it looks we just missed the cutoff ... but at least we still got 40% off instead of 30%...

Last edited:
floribud,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2

Today could be an exciting day. Yesterday, I got my Smojo screens (a little earlier than expected), cleaned and installed one in my Miwak Jr. And this morning, my Neo tracking was updated saying it will be delivered today!

Must focus on work...must focus on work...must focus on work....

Edit: it’s before 11:00 am and it arrived! Must focus on work... must focus on work.

But I have questions for @Black_Prrl. Does the Neo need charging before first use? When charging, is there an indicator light which gives info (charging, complete, etc.)?

The packaging is very nice and professional. I do have my first critique: on its website, Prrl Labs states you can use the Neo while it’s charging. But the provided charging cable is a shorty. So @Black_Prrl, can any c cable be used for charging? I do have a longer one....

Last edited:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Today could be an exciting day. Yesterday, I got my Smojo screens (a little earlier than expected), cleaned and installed one in my Miwak Jr. And this morning, my Neo tracking was updated saying it will be delivered today!

Edit: it’s before 11:00 am and it arrived! Must focus on work... must focus on work.

But I have questions for @Black_Prrl. Does the Neo need charging before first use? When charging, is there an indicator light which gives info (charging, complete, etc.)?

The packaging is very nice and professional. I do have my first critique: on its website, Prrl Labs states you can use the Neo while it’s charging. But the provided charging cable is a shorty. So @Black_Prrl, can any c cable be used for charging? I do have a longer one....

@Mr. Me2, SO glad that you received yours already!!

Sorry for the lack of information on our "Quickstart" page... it was supposed to be edited before the units arrived at your doors, but we've been caught up in problem-solving the past few days (more on that below). Yes, charge the battery completely before first use. However, we don't recommend using while charging. Yes, it will technically work, but you should approach Li-ion technology with caution. (We will remove that language from our site).

You can use any length USB-C cable you'd like. The battery module has fast-charging capability, so you can use a higher current wall plug or your laptop.

We will try to get more info up on our site today!

==============

Okay, now to the bad news... We recently found out that the second run of the zirconia atomizer housings was ruined during the polishing process and can not be salvaged. It's a 10-day process that is like a series of rock-polishing for those who've done any lapidary work. In an effort to increase the production numbers, a line-worker overloaded the tumbling machine, doubling the max load, which resulted in pitted edges on all of the parts... turns out that the only thing that seems to be able to damage zirconia is other zirconia.

So, they have to start over with an entirely new batch and the next shipment will not be ready until the 24th if all goes well. Which means that it won't arrive until the 28th or so... UGH!! #startuplife

We are not happy... We really, really wanted to have these out to y'all by Christmas. Sigh. You have our deepest apologies!!!

-Mark

floribud

Any usb c or usb->ucb c cable should work. I don't have my Prrl yet but I have a Eleaf T80 which is a very close cousin to the Rim. It will work on low power 2A or 3A usb C ports(these are often found in newer power strips) but not directly from "USB C Power Delivery Ports", the kind you can use to charge laptops. Also if you laptop is a Mac with USB C, those are also USB C Power Delivery ports. Pretty sure he only way to charge the Rim is by getting a USB C to USB adapter, then running a USB to USB C cable from the adapter to your Rim. That's how all of my usb-c vapes works (eleaf T80, Yocan Vane and Airvape Legacy)

Kins

@Mr. Me2, SO glad that you received yours already!!

Sorry for the lack of information on our "Quickstart" page... it was supposed to be edited before the units arrived at your doors, but we've been caught up in problem-solving the past few days (more on that below). Yes, charge the battery completely before first use. However, we don't recommend using while charging. Yes, it will technically work, but you should approach Li-ion technology with caution. (We will remove that language from our site).

You can use any length USB-C cable you'd like. The battery module has fast-charging capability, so you can use a higher current wall plug or your laptop.

We will try to get more info up on our site today!

==============

Okay, now to the bad news... We recently found out that the second run of the zirconia atomizer housings was ruined during the polishing process and can not be salvaged. It's a 10-day process that is like a series of rock-polishing for those who've done any lapidary work. In an effort to increase the production numbers, a line-worker overloaded the tumbling machine, doubling the max load, which resulted in pitted edges on all of the parts... turns out that the only thing that seems to be able to damage zirconia is other zirconia.

So, they have to start over with an entirely new batch and the next shipment will not be ready until the 24th if all goes well. Which means that it won't arrive until the 28th or so... UGH!! #startuplife

We are not happy... We really, really wanted to have these out to y'all by Christmas. Sigh. You have our deepest apologies!!!

-Mark

That's too bad. You can't rush good work. I'd rather go slow and do things right, than try to rush.

Mr. Me2

So I just took the Neo for my first test drive. I’ll start by giving it a thumbs up. This is definitely a different vaping experience with much more ritual involved. I think this is gonna be a fun journey getting to know this device and making its use second nature.

Bowl configuration and load amount will definitely make a difference. I got a Miwak for the Neo and I’m not sure it’s bowl shape is best even though I really like everything else about this pipe.

I think the Neo would be happiest with a bowl with perpendicular, rather than angled walls. But that may lead to needing too big loads. Hmmmm. @Black_Prrl is right and stirring is needed. An angled bowl like the Miwak is tougher to control. I hope @Black_Prrl and everyone here keeps suggesting great pipes for the Neo.

I’m already not bothered by needing to stir. It’s part of the ritual. Stirring in a vape is a pain because of vape design. But this is a traditional pipe...it’s just different (and easy).

Flavor is SUPER clean. But you have to be careful not to overcook which leads to charring (and bad taste). All part of the learning curve.

@Black_Prrl, any recommendations on load amount? Should the be distance between the load and the Neo? Pictures would help!

Okay, time to feed the pup and then more testing and playing.

Mr. Me2

Test 2 results. And I’m a lousy scientist. My mistake with test 2 is that I changed 2 things so I don’t know which (or if both) contributed to my improved results.

The 2 changes - I used a different pipe and put the silicone sleeve on the Neo. The sleeve overhangs the end of the Neo by about a quarter inch. But it creates a MUCH better seal. I tested it on both of my pipes. It makes creating a complete seal much easier.

Hey @Black_Prrl, the sleeve has cut outs on one end. Can you confirm that end goes onto the Neo with the smooth end exposed?

My second pipe is all glass with a deeper bowl. I still only put in a small amount. @Black_Prrl also recommends tamping and I don’t think I’m doing enough of that. But the deeper, less angled bowl was easier and the seal was solid. Again, great and very pure flavor. First pulls in a cleaned, new all glass pipe. Ahhhh.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Test 2 results. And I’m a lousy scientist. My mistake with test 2 is that I changed 2 things so I don’t know which (or if both) contributed to my improved results.

The 2 changes - I used a different pipe and put the silicone sleeve on the Neo. The sleeve overhangs the end of the Neo by about a quarter inch. But it creates a MUCH better seal. I tested it on both of my pipes. It makes creating a complete seal much easier.

The seal is very important, though I often sacrifice the increased efficiency of using the silicone adapter, with wanting to see my glowing bowl through the quartz. Your choice.

Hey @Black_Prrl, the sleeve has cut outs on one end. Can you confirm that end goes onto the Neo with the smooth end exposed?
Yes, the crowned/notched end goes toward the device. Smooth end toward the pipe. The notches are there to allow airflow to still enter the Neo.

My second pipe is all glass with a deeper bowl. I still only put in a small amount. @Black_Prrl also recommends tamping and I don’t think I’m doing enough of that. But the deeper, less angled bowl was easier and the seal was solid. Again, great and very pure flavor. First pulls in a cleaned, new all glass pipe. Ahhhh.
A steeper sided bowl will generally be more efficient as the airflow will interact with more herb. Fill so that you have at least a 1/4" or more in depth. This will depend on your pipe, but you want the air to travel through a sufficient amount. We've done some pretty tall bowls that were amazing...

Tamping removes air pockets that would enable the air to channel passed your herb, instead of through and around it. Tamping also creates additional back pressure (draw resistance) that can increase extraction. I'm not quite certain of the physics behind that yet, but it seems to me that it's awfully close to what tamping an espresso puck does.

A new glass pipe... yum!! Glad you're having fun getting your glow on, @Mr. Me2!

Top Bottom