Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Hey @Black_Prrl, can you share what kind of screen you use in the Miwak Jr.? If possible can you include a link?

Thanks!!!
Great question! We've tried out a number of different screening techniques and mechanisms, from glass daisies to spiral springs. The ones that seem to work best for us have been the Smojo. Since we tend to chop, stir, and tamp the bowl regularly we like screens that don't float around--but they shouldn't restrict the airflow. The Smojo is $$$ ($4.99 for a single), but you can get 3-pack and they'll last forever. The challenge with most glass daisies is that little pieces tend to break off. So, only use those in bubblers or bongs where the pieces will fall out of the vapor stream.

Of course, the very best option is to find a screened bowl... but those are not very common. We're working on one for y'all but aren't quite ready to reveal. We are focused on getting the Neo in your hands first!

-Mark

The Smojo:
1606666700489.png

Screens like these also work alright if you're careful when you stir.
1606666628252.png

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

Great question! We've tried out a number of different screening techniques and mechanisms, from glass daisies to spiral springs. The ones that seem to work best for us have been the Smojo. Since we tend to chop, stir, and tamp the bowl regularly we like screens that don't float around--but they shouldn't restrict the airflow. The Smojo is $$$ ($4.99 for a single), but you can get 3-pack and they'll last forever. The challenge with most glass daisies is that little pieces tend to break off. So, only use those in bubblers or bongs where the pieces will fall out of the vapor stream.

Of course, the very best option is to find a screened bowl... but those are not very common. We're working on one for y'all but aren't quite ready to reveal. We are focused on getting the Neo in your hands first!

-Mark

The Smojo:
View attachment 3984

Screens like these also work alright if you're careful when you stir.
View attachment 3983

Thanks! I never heard of the Smojo and just watched a video. Looks like it solves the problem of a floating screen. Hope it’s pretty easy to remove...

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Thanks! I never heard of the Smojo and just watched a video. Looks like it solves the problem of a floating screen. Hope it’s pretty easy to remove...

Removes easily with a fingernail, knife tip, or herb tool. Installation requires some steady hands and a bit of practice. Drop it in isopropyl to clean.

Mr. Me2

I’m trying to post a picture of a pipe to consider for the Neo, but am having trouble with postimages.org. Any suggestions or helpful instructions?

Mr. Me2,

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
View attachment 4022

Hey @Black_Prrl , assuming the bowl diameter is right, what do you think about these stone pipes? My concern is the metal bowl.

Those are pretty! The bowl/screen on those seem to be 1/2" baskets. The chimney on the Neo would fit outside the metal rim and rest against the stone surface. If flat, a decent seal should form and work just fine--even better with the silicone adapter. I wouldn't be too concerned about the metal in this case, since it will warm up quickly.

However, I wonder about air flow. Specifically, with that screened basket, air may be able to bypass the herb at the top edge of the screen instead of flowing through the herb.

Just got an update from our manufacturer...the first 10 units were built out yesterday, cured overnight, and tested this morning. All worked perfectly! The next 100 will be built by Thursday and shipped. So, we expect to receive those by next Monday, then ship them out on Tuesday. I'm heading to the post office today to make sure there won't be any hiccups.

Here are a couple of images we took last week with a near-production prototype.

1606762888467.jpeg
1606762903883.jpeg

Mr. Me2

Just got an update from our manufacturer...the first 10 units were built out yesterday, cured overnight, and tested this morning. All worked perfectly! The next 100 will be built by Thursday and shipped. So, we expect to receive those by next Monday, then ship them out on Tuesday. I'm heading to the post office today to make sure there won't be any hiccups.

View attachment 4024
View attachment 4025
Very excited! Can’t (but have to) wait!!!

Drug

View attachment 4024
View attachment 4025
Looks great. Good to hear the first batch is coming out, congrats.

What kind of screen/daisy/filter would you recommend for a pipe like the one in the bottom? My pipe by Marley Natural has a similar glass bowl (I suspect they're manufactured by the same company as the one using the Harring branding), and it would be nice to have that ready when my Neo arrives.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Looks great. Good to hear the first batch is coming out, congrats.

What kind of screen/daisy/filter would you recommend for a pipe like the one in the bottom? My pipe by Marley Natural has a similar glass bowl (I suspect they're manufactured by the same company as the one using the Harring branding), and it would be nice to have that ready when my Neo arrives.

@Drug the Marley is a beautiful pipe--and they have other gorgeous pieces as well! As far as screens, check out the Smojo I mentioned in an earlier post... other forms of screening work fine, but are less stable when stirring the bowl.

Last edited:

Drug

@Drug the Marley is a beautiful pipe--and they have other gorgeous pieces as well! As far as screens, check out the Smojo I mentioned in an earlier post... other forms of screening work fine, but are less stable when stirring the bowl.

I saw that post and thought it looked real nifty, but unfortunately it's unavailable in Europe and no US vendor I could find is shipping overseas. Guess I'm stuck with plain old screens.

Drug,
Reactions: Xclerk

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
I saw that post and thought it looked real nifty, but unfortunately it's unavailable in Europe and no US vendor I could find is shipping overseas. Guess I'm stuck with plain old screens.

oh, bugger!... perhaps modifying a stainless steel upholstery tack might work. Just file off the sides or make notches for airflow. Or, just get some glass daisies and call it good for now. Anyone else have a solution?

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Hey! Just got some images from our manufacturer that I wanted to share... The first 100 are curing and should be packaged tomorrow. We're expecting them to ship Friday and will hopefully arrive early next week. $$$ in shipping, but we can't wait any longer! SO excited!

1606962246579.jpeg
1606962305678.jpeg

CaleidosCope

...hey what about if something breaks... Spareparts? ;) ...so far it looks "unbreakable". But you know... me and glass got a different relationship.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

A shout out and thanks to @Black_Prrl for their continued open communication with us. As a preorderer, I was very happy to get an update email yesterday with a status of production and shipping.

After watching your linked video on using the Neo, I have a couple questions:

Is your temperature selection saved after it is initially set, or do you have to set the temperature each time you turn it on?

Is there an auto off function?

I’m sure I’ll have other questions, but it’s early...

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
...hey what about if something breaks... Spareparts? ;) ...so far it looks "unbreakable". But you know... me and glass got a different relationship.

@CaleidosCope, We've tried to make the Neo as strong and unbreakable as possible. Yet, the quartz is still vulnerable if it's dropped. We may be able to service that, but it would be difficult and would require diamond tools to remove the ceramic adhesive (alumina) that bonds the quartz in place. One way to protect the chimney would be to store it with the silicone adapter on...

A shout out and thanks to @Black_Prrl for their continued open communication with us. As a preorderer, I was very happy to get an update email yesterday with a status of production and shipping.

After watching your linked video on using the Neo, I have a couple questions:

Is your temperature selection saved after it is initially set, or do you have to set the temperature each time you turn it on?

Is there an auto off function?

I’m sure I’ll have other questions, but it’s early...

@Mr. Me2, Thanks for the kind words! Yes, the power setting is saved between sessions. When starting out, we recommend that you keep the power setting at the midpoint, 3 diamonds, while you practice varying the strength of your inhalation. We have found that many experienced cannabis users, depending on their familiarity with different vaping devices, try to inhale like a bong rip at the beginning. Instead, a slower more natural breath will yield better results and you can still achieve some seriously dense clouds if that is what you are after.

Everyone will develop their own technique that fits their style and their gear. We have found that a "puff, puff...PULL" technique works really well as a place to start. Taking shortish cigar puffs evenly heats the herb throughout the bowl and prepares it for a longer, and stronger pull to maximize extraction. Because my time between pulls varies--and cools the bowl and Neo differently--I use this technique each time I take a pull. Using mouth feel, it's pretty easy to get a feel for when the bowl is ready for a deeper rip. Usually, 2-3 puffs is sufficient.

There is indeed an auto-off safety function and the Neo will turn off after 3 minutes of inactivity. We wanted it to be long enough so that it wouldn't turn off between pulls, and disrupt your session. But, it needed to be short enough that if you put it in your coat pocket, it would shut down and minimize accidental firing.

MonkeyTime

@Black_Prrl , I'm pre-ordered thru VGoodiez, are they getting any of the first batch? I'm getting excited about this one and the possibilities!

*Edited to correct vendor.

Last edited:
MonkeyTime,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

CaleidosCope

Usually, 2-3 puffs is sufficient.
...even in my (transition) setup with the Aromed it was a major hint. Puff-Puff-Pull! (save that name!!!)

Oh and as a VapCap-User, and a guy that does like to enjoy sharing... I was always in the "DoIGetTheTastyFirstPullOrLetTheOthersHaveTheTaste?"-dilemma. Now. Its gone.
Fill the bowl a little higher. "ppP". Stir a little. Tamp it down. Pass it over. TASTE again!

LabPong

Oh and as a VapCap-User, and a guy that does like to enjoy sharing... I was always in the "DoIGetTheTastyFirstPullOrLetTheOthersHaveTheTaste?"-dilemma. Now. Its gone.
Fill the bowl a little higher. "ppP". Stir a little. Tamp it down. Pass it over. TASTE again!
You can share your mouth piece anytime.....but not me......even pre-cvid. lol

Kins

Hey for the screens, couldn't you guys manufacture something universal for the Neo?. Basket screens that you would just put in the bowl of any pipe and you could make different size mesh. So course, fine, and in between.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Hey for the screens, couldn't you guys manufacture something universal for the Neo?. Basket screens that you would just put in the bowl of any pipe and you could make different size mesh. So course, fine, and in between.

@Kins Interesting thought!...We've found so much variation between pipe bowls that it might be difficult to get the sizing(s) just right, but it's worth noodling on for sure.

We do have plans for our own insert for single-hole pipes, however. And, we have some exciting plans for completely new kinds of pipes/slides that are optimized for extraction from both flower and concentrate. We'll roll out our ideas for those in Jan once we get the supply chain for the Neo prepped for cheaper shipping and better scaling.

Here's a shot of today's Neo boxing... the first 100 should be shipped in a few hours!

1607051838574.png

Top Bottom