Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Mr. Me2

Test 3. Went back to the Miwak. Small load. Ended up being a single hit. Next time I’ll try a second pull, but I didn’t want to end with bad taste.

With a small load, tamping, and the sleeve on the Neo, I got a very satisfying pull.

What I’m finding is that you barely taste anything on the way in. There’s hardly an awareness that you (or at least I) am getting anything. Zero harshness. The flavor is on the exhale. For me, anyway.

Using the Neo is different from traditional combusting with a pipe because of the position you have to keep the Neo. Lighters are off to the side, on an angle, etc. Not the Neo. So I’m finding that a longer stem is more comfortable. Is there such a thing as PAS (pipe acquisition syndrome)? Time to shop...

Mr. Me2

Here are some more thoughts on the Neo.

I think there may be a sweet spot between the edge of the Neo and the load. @Black_Prrl, do you agree? If I’m right, that will affect load size and will be different with each pipe.

I started without the silicone sleeve and then added it to improve the seal. But it also adds distance between the load and the Neo. It also blocks some of the visual (the Neo glow). Today I took the sleeve off. It is much more satisfying to watch the Neo this way but needs more diligence to maintain the seal.

Another question for @Black_Prrl, what color is your abv? At best, I’ve been getting a golden color. And not a ton of vapor unless there’s some minor charring. Is that what you expect or do you have any suggestions?

I also started to play with temperature, going up in an effort to increase vapor and darken abv. And I have been switching between 2 pipes. All for science.

I’m looking forward to trying a pipe with more draw resistance. That may be the ticket. I’ve also noticed how draw speed appears to quickly cool the Neo. At least that’s my guess because the glow dims depending on draw speed.

I can’t wait for others to add their experience and thoughts.

Dargin B

@Mr. Me2 I've been most successful learning vapes by sticking with one set of variables for 24 hours or so. If I don't get the desired results in 5-10 minutes I'll lean into an old faithful. Then rinse and repeat. Mine should arrive today....tonight I will be going for tight draw with the Hemson pipe and sleeve! I combusted in the first Hemson I bought so I had to buy a spare for the Neo! If the NEO rocks I plan on having my friend blow me a custom hammer...

Oil420FL

The seal is very important, though I often sacrifice the increased efficiency of using the silicone adapter, with wanting to see my glowing bowl through the quartz. Your choice.

Yes, the crowned/notched end goes toward the device. Smooth end toward the pipe. The notches are there to allow airflow to still enter the Neo.

A steeper sided bowl will generally be more efficient as the airflow will interact with more herb. Fill so that you have at least a 1/4" or more in depth. This will depend on your pipe, but you want the air to travel through a sufficient amount. We've done some pretty tall bowls that were amazing...

Tamping removes air pockets that would enable the air to channel passed your herb, instead of through and around it. Tamping also creates additional back pressure (draw resistance) that can increase extraction. I'm not quite certain of the physics behind that yet, but it seems to me that it's awfully close to what tamping an espresso puck does.

A new glass pipe... yum!! Glad you're having fun getting your glow on, @Mr. Me2
I was just thinking this sounds like making espresso. I hope those skills transfer since I have made several thousand shots 😉

Kamdssc

Hey all, this is my first post.
I was lucky enough to be one of the winners! of the Neo contest Thanks again Prrllabs!!
I got my Neo on Saturday morning and was able to play with it from the afternoon on. I have a genius pipe and a couple of water pieces. I’ve had the best results, so far, with the genius pipe and a martini style bowl on a 14 mm bong. It’s been fun playing with the different pieces though.
I’m still trying to dial in the temp and draw technique. I will say that it is very cool and smooth.
So far the best results I’ve had have been with out the use of the silicone gasket. I’m looking forward to seeing how everyone uses their Neo

Kamdssc

Just a quick update. I feel like I've got the technique dialed in for my genius pipe. The draw on the pipe is a very slow and light inhale, the vapor is almost imperceptible but can still get a good cloud. I'm glad I had the genius pipe, I didn't like for combustion but it now has new life for vaping. However I wouldn't recommend anyone go and get one just for the Neo as it's expensive and has some drawbacks. But if you find one cheap then maybe.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Made in China?

Thanks for the question, @Vapefanatic! The only thing made in China is the Eleaf battery mod... Our primary manufacturers are in Taiwan where they have stronger regulations and protections. The zirconia capsule is made by a firm which manufactures medical devices. They share our values of purity and durability. We'd looked for US ceramic manufacturers but discovered that many outsourced the actual manufacturing to Asia, yet still wanted an exorbitant price. The heating element and special ceramic adhesive are made in the US and we ship those to Taiwan for inclusion in assembly process.

@Mr. Me2 and @Kamdssc... thanks for the observations! As you are discovering, each pipe and bowl is unique. I didn't think that the Genius pipe would actually work very well--I have one around here that I will dust off and try out. Not only is it metal (conducts heat away from the herb and vapor), but the bowl is also super shallow. So, I expected that most of the heated air from the Neo would channel past the particles and not do a great job of extraction. Good for you to make it work!!

Pipe recommendation summary: deeper, circular bowls with flat bottom screens and tend to be the most optimal. Wood, glass, and ceramic bowls are more efficient than metal. (Depending on the exposed area of the bowl--see Genius exception below)

*************** (Off to test the Genius...) ***************

Okay, I'm going to have to take back my doubts about the Genius pipe. I was able to load ~0.1g of finely ground herb up to the rim, making sure that it went all the way to the sides of the bowl. The bowl is just barely smaller than the Neo's chimney, so you can get an adequate seal, but it's finicky. Instead, I turned the silicone adapter inside out so that it flares a bit like a suction cup. That fit nicely over the bowl, making a perfect seal.

I was able to get a really generous cloud with the Genius. It was cool and delicious. Surprisingly, the metal did not have negative impact on the performance. Looking more closely at the Genius bowl, it brings the herb up very closely to the quartz and there is very little metal wall area to absorb heat. Instead, the metal cools the vapor downstream of the bowl.

Clearly, more research is needed out there! 😎

Last edited:

Dargin B

I've have about 3-4 packages that have been "in transit" for several days...and the NEO is one them! Doh! Shipping companies are grinding!! A 1lb part overnight to Atlanta that usually costs 30 clams now costs over 70. I can feel my Neo's arrival today... :)

I am a guy who loves accessories so I'm looking forward to taking my NEO to the headshop across the street and see what I think might work best. I never thought I'd be in the market for a small wood pipe again! Have a great day everyone!

Darr1

I've have about 3-4 packages that have been "in transit" for several days...and the NEO is one them! Doh! Shipping companies are grinding!! A 1lb part overnight to Atlanta that usually costs 30 clams now costs over 70. I can feel my Neo's arrival today... :)

I am a guy who loves accessories so I'm looking forward to taking my NEO to the headshop across the street and see what I think might work best. I never thought I'd be in the market for a small wood pipe again! Have a great day everyone

I am a guy who loves accessories so I'm looking forward to taking my NEO to the headshop across the street and see what I think might work best. I never thought I'd be in the market for a small wood pipe again! Have a great day everyone!
Watching the tracking is soul destroying lol. I'm in the UK awaiting delivery , frustrating watching the package do laps of the US before hopefully leaving soon !! Nearly a week in transit and still in US !!!

Kamdssc

More Neo updates. I was successful with a sticky brick runt! That was actually something I was hoping would work. I love the runt but don't always love using torches (not afraid of butane). So this added a different dimension to the runt, Cool. I had good results using the silicone gasket and filled about .2 g of flower (I consume mostly CBD flower).

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Watching the tracking is soul destroying lol. I'm in the UK awaiting delivery , frustrating watching the package do laps of the US before hopefully leaving soon !! Nearly a week in transit and still in US !!!

UGH! So sorry to hear that... hang in there!!

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
More Neo updates. I was successful with a sticky brick runt! That was actually something I was hoping would work. I love the runt but don't always love using torches (not afraid of butane). So this added a different dimension to the runt, Cool. I had good results using the silicone gasket and filled about .2 g of flower (I consume mostly CBD flower).

It seems like this would be a good way to get very consistent results with the brick... how long did it take to start producing vapor? Obviously with the butane it can start pretty much immediately, I wouldn't expect that with the Neo , but might be a worthy trade-off for some, if the consistent results are there

Kamdssc

It seems like this would be a good way to get very consistent results with the brick...
That's a good point about consistency, I did feel that my hits were very similar, albeit not as heavy as with butane but still very satisfying.
It took me a couple of heat cycles to get my draw speed and inhalation strength down. After that I was getting vapor I would get vapor after about 5 seconds. But my actual hits were a little bit longer than that, I'd say about 15 seconds to get the clouds I wanted.
I'm finding that my best hits on whatever I've tried are very easy and slowish draws. Taking hard hits haven't worked for me

BrianTL

Westchester, NY
That's a good point about consistency, I did feel that my hits were very similar, albeit not as heavy as with butane but still very satisfying.
It took me a couple of heat cycles to get my draw speed and inhalation strength down. After that I was getting vapor I would get vapor after about 5 seconds. But my actual hits were a little bit longer than that, I'd say about 15 seconds to get the clouds I wanted.
I'm finding that my best hits on whatever I've tried are very easy and slowish draws. Taking hard hits haven't worked for me

If you have the restrictor disk in, I bet taking that out would speed up that vapor production.

If I'm understanding the Neo correctly, you shouldn't have to worry about combustion like you would with butane.

MonkeyTime

Ok guys, were need to have a little talk....

We've got a few of these out in the wild now, and no pictures! We should be crying for videos by now!

@Kamdssc , I was thinking about my bricks with the Neo, have you got the body cracked open and going directly on the bowl or are you on the top piece that the mouthpiece goes into? Is thinking only the flip would work?

Kamdssc

Ok guys, were need to have a little talk....

We've got a few of these out in the wild now, and no pictures! We should be crying for videos by now!

@Kamdssc , I was thinking about my bricks with the Neo, have you got the body cracked open and going directly on the bowl or are you on the top piece that the mouthpiece goes into? Is thinking only the flip would work?
Yeah, right into the bowl. With the heat intake completely off. I had the silicone gasket on and it made a good seal. It looks funny but it works well for me.

Kamdssc,

Kins

I have a lot of funnel type bowls and only a few with straight sides up and down. Which ones will work better?

Kins,
Top Bottom