Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

Kreator87

So I tried my Neo with my all glass setup (14mm J-hook with 19F/14M adapter) yesterday and it wasn't real successful but I think I know why. The only screens I had on hand were 16mm and they were just too far down in the bowl I think (about 2 inches away from the chimney). Oh well.

I tried pre-heating and also heating at 5 diamonds but not enough heat getting through. Some tasty wisps but alas, just not hot enough. I think I had a good seal with the silicone attachment.

I've bought some bigger screens to place the material much closer to the Neo and will try again tonight.

As an aside, should I be worried that I saw the "device too hot" message after a few back to back runs at 5 diamonds? Hoping this is normal.
Don't worry about the warning it is there to protect you and once you have screens that get the bud to the proper height you won't need to hear at 5 diamonds, I preheat at 5 then bring it down to 2 and get solid vapor.

coolbreeze

So I tried my Neo with my all glass setup (14mm J-hook with 19F/14M adapter) yesterday and it wasn't real successful but I think I know why. The only screens I had on hand were 16mm and they were just too far down in the bowl I think (about 2 inches away from the chimney). Oh well.

I tried pre-heating and also heating at 5 diamonds but not enough heat getting through. Some tasty wisps but alas, just not hot enough. I think I had a good seal with the silicone attachment.

I've bought some bigger screens to place the material much closer to the Neo and will try again tonight.

As an aside, should I be worried that I saw the "device too hot" message after a few back to back runs at 5 diamonds? Hoping this is normal.
Yeah, 2" is just too far. Aim for a quarter to half-inch. Here's one I put together for a little rig; it's like 1/4" deep maybe; it could be deeper but I wouldn't go a lot further. I use the sleeve with it:
IMG-3879.jpg

I rarely go above 1 diamond, almost always at zero. It does require a long, slow, steady pull. I usually turn it on an let it get to full glow, puff a couple times to warm, and then the second half of the cycle is just a long, steady pull with just a bit of glow showing. I usually get big, flavorful hits like that. It's also easier on the heater I think and results in almost none of those warnings. I do get those if I'm pushing it too far with a recycler or the Convectorium but I try not to beat it too hard.

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Yeah, 2" is just too far. Aim for a quarter to half-inch. Here's one I put together for a little rig; it's like 1/4" deep maybe; it could be deeper but I wouldn't go a lot further. I use the sleeve with it:
IMG-3879.jpg

I rarely go above 1 diamond, almost always at zero. It does require a long, slow, steady pull. I usually turn it on an let it get to full glow, puff a couple times to warm, and then the second half of the cycle is just a long, steady pull with just a bit of glow showing. I usually get big, flavorful hits like that. It's also easier on the heater I think and results in almost none of those warnings. I do get those if I'm pushing it too far with a recycler or the Convectorium but I try not to beat it too hard.
Excellent. That looks just like my setup now. Got both 20mm screen and 19mm just to find the sweet spot. Will start with the 20mm tonight (seems to stay put nicely with a bit of curving at the sides) but I'm happy to say the placement now looks like your pic. I'll make sure and report back 👌

coolbreeze

Excellent. That looks just like my setup now. Got both 20mm screen and 19mm just to find the sweet spot. Will start with the 20mm tonight (seems to stay put nicely with a bit of curving at the sides) but I'm happy to say the placement now looks like your pic. I'll make sure and report back 👌
As long as your seal's good and it's not too far away from the herbs, it's mostly just breath control. Hope this helps you get more satisfactory results!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
As long as your seal's good and it's not too far away from the herbs, it's mostly just breath control. Hope this helps you get more satisfactory results!
Success 😋

So I've not perfected it yet but I've had one bowl with nice *very* tasty clouds but I wanted a bit more volume. I had to use 3 diamonds to get there so I figured I'd try adjusting the screen further up the grind. The second bowl with the adjusted screen I got scorch top on 2 diamonds so I figure I'm doing something right and just need to further drop the diamonds. I'm a bit too high to try bowl 3 at zero or 1 diamonds but feeling like I'm zeroing in on something tasty. Adjusting the draw speed really affects extraction also, just as you mentioned. Have to watch not going too slow. A heat reduction in diamonds should help with everything.

I'll just have to soldier on experimenting tomorrow. It's tough work but my weed isn't just going to vape itself. 😝

Edit: Just couldn't stay away. Vaped another bowl at 1 diamond and paid attention to my draw. Bliss. I think I'm gonna like this one. Oh, and I'm higher than a giraffe's vagina

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So yeah, wow.

Starting to reach for the Neo more and more these days and it doesn't just feel like the honeymoon phase. Like @coolbreeze said, it's really all about breath control for the kind of hits you want to get. I totally understand why their pipe is called the terp surfer now. I've been enjoying speeding up and slowing down my pulls to get the effects I want. The vapor is light and fluffy and tasty when I want or hot, thick and a bit less flavorful when I want a stonier high.

Those first few cigar puffs on a glass pipe just bring out all the terps so nicely. Well done Prrl Labs. 👏

Kreator87

So yeah, wow.

Starting to reach for the Neo more and more these days and it doesn't just feel like the honeymoon phase. Like @coolbreeze said, it's really all about breath control for the kind of hits you want to get. I totally understand why their pipe is called the terp surfer now. I've been enjoying speeding up and slowing down my pulls to get the effects I want. The vapor is light and fluffy and tasty when I want or hot, thick and a bit less flavorful when I want a stonier high.

Those first few cigar puffs on a glass pipe just bring out all the terps so nicely. Well done Prrl Labs. 👏
Enjoy dude, I'm enoying my Black Neo with my Walnut Terp Surfer currently, sooo good!

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So for you guys who own Terp Surfers, can you describe how different the experience is from a screened glass J-hook? Wood is a much better heat insulator so I guess you might get less vapor condensing in the pipe but at the expense of the vapor being hotter? I'm thinking the short vapor path also gives you tight control over the draw with little effort.

coolbreeze

So for you guys who own Terp Surfers, can you describe how different the experience is from a screened glass J-hook? Wood is a much better heat insulator so I guess you might get less vapor condensing in the pipe but at the expense of the vapor being hotter? I'm thinking the short vapor path also gives you tight control over the draw with little effort.
More or less exactly right, I think. It performs very well, partly that tight control, and partly just how well it seals, at the right distance from the herbs, etc. I would be curious to try some aftermarket stems of various lengths and materials made with magnets to hold the ring. I thought it'd be cool to have a WPA with magnets, but there's probably not as much need for that with the crystal bowls coming.

coolbreeze

If you own the quartz herb capsule, how do you find the experience with and without it? I see the tasty bowl you took a picture of above doesn't use it.
To be honest, I have only tried it once, not for any particular reason except that the TS works great as is. Nothing wrong with it as far as I recall, everything's just is a tad less fiddly without it. It probably works well as a reducer and to contain most reclaim/mess, but I haven't needed that really.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Awesome! Look forward to hearing about it. When you can, of course. ; )
Yeah. It was worth it 😋🤤

This pipe is up there with the tasty hits I had previously only experienced on all glass setups like the vaponic or terpedo. However, I find it's even better in some ways.

The vaponic and terpedo really have no fine temp control. The Neo does and it's really nice to dial in the kind of temp experience you want - and you can further modulate with your draw speed! So much control.

A couple of things I noticed and really liked; wood is actually pretty awesome for this pipe. The insulation prevents terps from condensing quickly and I really like the added heat in the vapor path. It's not nearly as hot as I was worried it might be. Also, the short vapor path of the pipe and the perfectly shaped bowl give you a strong seal and fabulous draw speed control.

I like holding the pipe and Neo in one hand with a pinch grip. The Neo is in between the index and middle fingers, at the neck of the heat sink with the thumb cradling underneath the pipe holding everything together.

coolbreeze

Yeah. It was worth it 😋🤤

This pipe is up there with the tasty hits I had previously only experienced on all glass setups like the vaponic or terpedo. However, I find it's even better in some ways.

The vaponic and terpedo really have no fine temp control. The Neo does and it's really nice to dial in the kind of temp experience you want - and you can further modulate with your draw speed! So much control.

A couple of things I noticed and really liked; wood is actually pretty awesome for this pipe. The insulation prevents terps from condensing quickly and I really like the added heat in the vapor path. It's not nearly as hot as I was worried it might be. Also, the short vapor path of the pipe and the perfectly shaped bowl give you a strong seal and fabulous draw speed control.

I like holding the pipe and Neo in one hand with a pinch grip. The Neo is in between the index and middle fingers, at the neck of the heat sink with the thumb cradling underneath the pipe holding everything together.
All well-stated, glad you're enjoying it! The flavor is really something else.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Yeah. It was worth it 😋🤤

So glad that you're enjoying it!! The pinch grip is our go-to as well... Josh, my co-founder loves to puff while riding his bike and has perfected the pinch. Wild man. Only one crash so far. 🙃

Here's a bonus "surf trick" for y'all... put a second titanium screen over your herb. This acts as a heat deflector, which will even out the extraction (though makes it hard to stir). And, it'll hold your herb in place if you need to toss it in a case and go somewhere... It will also enable you to do an inverted pinch--which is good for nothing but showing off. 🚀

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So glad that you're enjoying it!! The pinch grip is our go-to as well... Josh, my co-founder loves to puff while riding his bike and has perfected the pinch. Wild man. Only one crash so far. 🙃

Here's a bonus "surf trick" for y'all... put a second titanium screen over your herb. This acts as a heat deflector, which will even out the extraction (though makes it hard to stir). And, it'll hold your herb in place if you need to toss it in a case and go somewhere... It will also enable you to do an inverted pinch--which is good for nothing but showing off. 🚀
Hey thanks for the tips. I just had a delicious bowl of blackberry cream in my Terp Surfer. 😋

One thing I knew I'd like about the pipe - and it didn't disappoint, is the size of the bowl. You can heap quite a bit of flower in there and the higher you pile it, the closer you are to that sweet convection heat. The bowl I just had probably had at least 0.3g of flower and I could've fit more. Very big clouds but they were all consistently tasty, especially after a little stir.

Never thought of the Neo as a heavy hitter but it definitely punches above its weight.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Top Bottom