Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Welp. My VAS and curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the trigger on a Neo :tup:

Planning to try it with a 19mm J-hook and titanium screen to start. Guessing I'll likely need to use the silicone sleeve for a good seal.

Seem to remember reading here that a good technique for extraction with the Neo is to heat soak at 5 diamonds for 30sec and then dial it back to 1 or maybe 2 diamonds when you start hitting?

coolbreeze

Welp. My VAS and curiosity got the better of me and I pulled the trigger on a Neo :tup:

Planning to try it with a 19mm J-hook and titanium screen to start. Guessing I'll likely need to use the silicone sleeve for a good seal.

Seem to remember reading here that a good technique for extraction with the Neo is to heat soak at 5 diamonds for 30sec and then dial it back to 1 or maybe 2 diamonds when you start hitting?
I usually just heat-soak at the set temp (usually 0 diamonds) for a cycle or most of one, then restart the cycle>full orange glow>a cigar puff or two to heat the herbs (and chamber) a bit>full orange glow>and then a long, steady draw with just a touch of glow showing. You should get plenty of vapor that way. If you are hitting it back to back you probably won't need additional preheats. Low temps work great. I don't think I've ever run it above three diamonds and zero is almost always sufficient.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I usually just heat-soak at the set temp (usually 0 diamonds) for a cycle or most of one, then restart the cycle>full orange glow>a cigar puff or two to heat the herbs (and chamber) a bit>full orange glow>and then a long, steady draw with just a touch of glow showing. You should get plenty of vapor that way. If you are hitting it back to back you probably won't need additional preheats. Low temps work great. I don't think I've ever run it above three diamonds and zero is almost always sufficient.
Nice. Thanks for the advice :sherlock:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Sure thing, Hope you enjoy the heck out of it. If you run into problems it'll usually be the seal or too fast a draw, both easily remedied.
Thanks again. I'm pretty excited to try it! I've been meaning to add a J-hook to my collection so it was the perfect excuse to get one of these too. 😁

Seems like a nice pipe would be a great way to start with the Neo but just couldn't shell out the $$$ for a Terp Surfer right away. I'll see how things go with the J-hook.

coolbreeze

Thanks again. I'm pretty excited to try it! I've been meaning to add a J-hook to my collection so it was the perfect excuse to get one of these too. 😁

Seems like a nice pipe would be a great way to start with the Neo but just couldn't shell out the $$$ for a Terp Surfer right away. I'll see how things go with the J-hook.
The j-hook should be great, I bet. And since you'll have it already, you could use the new quartz bowl when it's out and have a similar hit to the TS, I would think.

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
The j-hook should be great, I bet. And since you'll have it already, you could use the new quartz bowl when it's out and have a similar hit to the TS, I would think.
Ha! You already answered my next question 😁. I was going to ask if I could just throw an injector type bowl into the J-hook if its bowl isn't a great fit for the Neo. Nice.

Damn. The Crystal Bowl is still on sale and it's tempting. I'm still a noob with glass pieces and prices but would you say it's worth it at 45$ US on sale?

TigoleBitties,
Reactions: coolbreeze

coolbreeze

Ha! You already answered my next question 😁. I was going to ask if I could just throw an injector type bowl into the J-hook if its bowl isn't a great fit for the Neo. Nice.

Damn. The Crystal Bowl is still on sale and it's tempting. I'm still a noob with glass pieces and prices but would you say it's worth it at 45$ US on sale?
Custom injector bowls can be in that $90 range, though usually lower. At $45, it's not simply an injector bowl, it's one tuned to fit/work as well as possible. To me, it's a no-brainer, especially if you tend toward waterpipes or stems/hooks of your own choice. It will guarantee a great seal at optimal distance, and a universal joint to use however you want.

Edit: with another injector bowl, you may need to check some to see what kind of fit you can achieve as the sizes are a little different between the Neo's nozzle and those of the various heater heads. A standard 18mm female ground glass joint with a screen in the grind will work great but may need the sleeve for a good seal.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Custom injector bowls can be in that $90 range, though usually lower. At $45, it's not simply an injector bowl, it's one tuned to fit/work as well as possible. To me, it's a no-brainer, especially if you tend toward waterpipes or stems/hooks of your own choice. It will guarantee a great seal at optimal distance, and a universal joint to use however you want.

Edit: with another injector bowl, you may need to check some to see what kind of fit you can achieve as the sizes are a little different between the Neo's nozzle and those of the various heater heads. A standard 18mm female ground glass joint with a screen in the grind will work great but may need the sleeve for a good seal.
This fits what I've I read as well. Thanks!

TigoleBitties,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy

While waiting on the Crystal Bowl, any thoughts on how this injector bowl might work with the Neo?

Thanks!

Last edited:
TigoleBitties,

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
I think it would fit the top rim, certainly with the sleeve. It looks pretty deep though. I would prefer something closer to the heat, but I'm sure it's worth a try, especially if you have other use for the bowl.
Yeah, I had concerns about the height too.

Maybe I'd be better served getting a 14mm injector bowl or j-hook and putting an o-ring around the bowl for a deep seal within the Neo's chimney?

TigoleBitties,

coolbreeze

Yeah, I had concerns about the height too.

Maybe I'd be better served getting a 14mm injector bowl or j-hook and putting an o-ring around the bowl for a deep seal within the Neo's chimney?
Back a page or so, Mark shows probably the best hack, it's essentially an injector bowl with the screen up high enough made of an adapter with a deep grind. He uses a metal screen, I've used a mesh screen. I wanna say I've done the same with elev8r bowls but my go to is the TAG adapter. I mostly use the sleeve and get great results. Whether you go with an injector bowl or an adapter what you'd need is a deep grind so that you have a range with the optimum distance available to you.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Back a page or so, Mark shows probably the best hack, it's essentially an injector bowl with the screen up high enough made of an adapter with a deep grind. He uses a metal screen, I've used a mesh screen. I wanna say I've done the same with elev8r bowls but my go to is the TAG adapter. I mostly use the sleeve and get great results. Whether you go with an injector bowl or an adapter what you'd need is a deep grind so that you have a range with the optimum distance available to you.
Hey thanks for the tip 👌. Now if only my Neo would get here faster...

Seth Meyers Time GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

TigoleBitties,
  • Haha

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Hey thanks for the tip 👌. Now if only my Neo would get here faster...

Seth Meyers Time GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Please DM me your order # and I'll check into it... I got married Saturday so I've been away from the office for a few days. Unfortunately, the post office is closed today, but if it didn't go out late last week, I'll make sure it's at the PO first thing tomorrow morning.

-Mark

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Please DM me your order # and I'll check into it... I got married Saturday so I've been away from the office for a few days. Unfortunately, the post office is closed today, but if it didn't go out late last week, I'll make sure it's at the PO first thing tomorrow morning.

-Mark
Hey thanks for checking in Mark but it just arrived today! 🥳🥳🥳
And congrats on tying the knot! 🎉

Of course, the J-hook I ordered (my first) to use it with hasn't arrived.
Oh, the humanity!
Drama No GIF by BabylonBee

Congrats on your purchase! It is my favorite out of all my options and I really dig the Terp Surfer with it, when they have a sale it is worth scooping up. Once you got your technique down, it is bliss!
Thanks! I'm dying here. 😂

Last edited:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Hey thanks for checking in Mark but it just arrived today! 🥳🥳🥳
And congrats on tying the knot! 🎉

Of course, the J-hook I ordered (my first) to use it with hasn't arrived.
Oh, the humanity!
Drama No GIF by BabylonBee

Thanks! I'm dying here. 😂

Well, all is not lost... with the silicone adapter, the Neo will work with almost any pipe or bong. I suggest starting with a pipe because you have more control and it's easier (IMHO) to dial in the vapor. Preferably, choose a pipe with multiple holes or a screened bottom so there's better airflow. If all of your bowls just have a single hole, then no worries, but you may get a significant hot spot in the middle, so start at lower power and slow your breath.... most of all, make sure that your pipe is SUPER clean. When I was first testing prototypes, I grabbed an old fave of mine all and experienced all of those built up tars and resins in their full glory. 🤢

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Well, all is not lost... with the silicone adapter, the Neo will work with almost any pipe or bong. I suggest starting with a pipe because you have more control and it's easier (IMHO) to dial in the vapor. Preferably, choose a pipe with multiple holes or a screened bottom so there's better airflow. If all of your bowls just have a single hole, then no worries, but you may get a significant hot spot in the middle, so start at lower power and slow your breath.... most of all, make sure that your pipe is SUPER clean. When I was first testing prototypes, I grabbed an old fave of mine all and experienced all of those built up tars and resins in their full glory. 🤢
Hey Mark, that sounds like good advice..... if I had any previous pipes or glassware 😆. I've never been a smoker and when I used to combust it was either joints or bowls that were owned by friends.

But as you say, all is not lost! I received my glassware just today! 🎉

I'm going to use a 14mm J-hook with a 19F/14M adapter that has a low profile and I'll place a 16mm titanium screen as high in the grind as I can. The screen has many holes so I'm hoping it'll keep hotspots to a minimum 🤞 and I'll try with the silicone sleeve for a good seal. Everything is new and made of glass or titanium so expecting the taste to be great!

Edit: Should I use a keck clip or some other thing to keep the adapter in place? Still a noob with glass pieces.

Last edited:

Kreator87

Frequent users, how often do you burn yourself on the Prrl?
I haven't burned myself yet, but I got myself with a Dynavap pretty good once. I like using the black Prrl Neo since there is no preheat needed, less chance for that to happen and the battery lasts longer.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
So I tried my Neo with my all glass setup (14mm J-hook with 19F/14M adapter) yesterday and it wasn't real successful but I think I know why. The only screens I had on hand were 16mm and they were just too far down in the bowl I think (about 2 inches away from the chimney). Oh well.

I tried pre-heating and also heating at 5 diamonds but not enough heat getting through. Some tasty wisps but alas, just not hot enough. I think I had a good seal with the silicone attachment.

I've bought some bigger screens to place the material much closer to the Neo and will try again tonight.

As an aside, should I be worried that I saw the "device too hot" message after a few back to back runs at 5 diamonds? Hoping this is normal.

Top Bottom