Discontinued The NEO by Prrl Labs

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Sorry, man, we're too high--flavor's so nice we can't stop tasting! But for you, Cheers!
IMG-3722.jpg
:rofl:

Ok great! Happy it still works just fine for you! Might pull the trigger on this one. Any thoughts about how much better the custom terp surfer pipe is compared to other pipes out there in the wild? I want the best experience but don't want to overpay for a nice pipe.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer of the Neo and Terp Surfer
Manufacturer
Yeah, why no more love? 😅

Sincere apologies that I haven't been more engaged in this forum. I'm getting married next week, had Covid, and had tons of work and events during the holiday sale season. Yada yada yada...

A couple of quick updates:
1) We're launching our WPA pre-orders this weekend... Get a Super Bowl at a super price! See rendering image below; offered in clear and transparent charcoal. It holds a full 0.5g and is made from solid borosilicate. Titanium screen in the bottom with 150 holes for optimum extraction. The airflow is amazing and it's really easy to clean! Of course, if you like to microdose, the quartz herb capsules fit perfectly.
2) We are offering customized laser etching for the Terp Surfer pipe boards. See LOTR example below.
3) We launched the "aerospace gray" titanium bowl for the Terp Surfer just before the holidays. This isn't the typical, cheap surface anodizing. It's the Type 2 process, which hardens the metal like they do for medical implants and aerospace parts. Do you care if the surface is more scratch resistant? Probably not... BUT, it looks fucking badass and has a slight iridescent sheen to it.
4) We're designing additional pipes and something completely different... but you're going to have to wait a bit for a reveal. 😎
5) I'm working on finding time to do some quick Surf Tricks videos... e.g. the Double-double and the Full Monty. (speculate away)

Looking forward to visiting here more often...

-Mark
https://flic.kr/p/2ofW7fY https://flic.kr/p/2ofW82h

Last edited:

coolbreeze

:rofl:

Ok great! Happy it still works just fine for you! Might pull the trigger on this one. Any thoughts about how much better the custom terp surfer pipe is compared to other pipes out there in the wild? I want the best experience but don't want to overpay for a nice pipe.
I think many would say the Terp Surfer is the best experience. Tbh, I find it a little warmer than some of the pipes I use, but, I will say that it works so much better than many other options. It's pretty perfectly tuned. I'd say start there and then try some other things. This vape can be bit trickier to master than some (people are generally unused to the long, slow hits that work best) and the TS will give you an excellent experience right off the top.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
I think many would say the Terp Surfer is the best experience. Tbh, I find it a little warmer than some of the pipes I use, but, I will say that it works so much better than many other options. It's pretty perfectly tuned. I'd say start there and then try some other things. This vape can be bit trickier to master than some (people are generally unused to the long, slow hits that work best) and the TS will give you an excellent experience right off the top.

Agreed... the vapor is warmer than some might prefer. We chose wood for it's organic feel as well as the insulting properties. This reduces terp loss due to condensation, which also means less cleaning, but the vapor does stay on the warm side. And, because we wanted to keep it thin, we had to compromise a bit on airflow efficiency. The longer down-draft with the new WPA is extremely efficient with no hot-spotting.

coolbreeze

Agreed... the vapor is warmer than some might prefer. We chose wood for it's organic feel as well as the insulting properties. This reduces terp loss due to condensation, which also means less cleaning, but the vapor does stay on the warm side. And, because we wanted to keep it thin, we had to compromise a bit on airflow efficiency. The longer down-draft with the new WPA is extremely efficient with no hot-spotting.
It's really not warm enough detract and the flavor's so nice, it's easy to recommend. But the fact that it's just so productive helps folks get past the curve, I think. It's just easy.

One real observation though: for older fingers the flat smoothness can get a little fumbly. I would hate to detract from its profile but maybe some strategic rough spots or something might help.

I'm glad to see those WPAs going up! I'm so in, of course. I love the O'Connell bowls but I know that one's going to be a go-to for me!

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
One real observation though: for older fingers the flat smoothness can get a little fumbly. I would hate to detract from its profile but maybe some strategic rough spots or something might help.

I'm definitely one of those with "older fingers"! To get around that, I generally use a one-hand "pinch"... it takes some practice, but it's quite stable when you get the hang of it. Once in the grip, I autofire it briefly with a single long click using my other hand, then puff away.

Honestly, I also prefer a churchwarden style pipe, that drops the bowl down and a bit further away from my face. This is the thing that bugs me the most about the Terp Surfer--being too close. But, of course there's a lot I love about this form factor, and it slips nicely into my pocket.

https://flic.kr/p/2ofSRC5

coolbreeze

I'm definitely one of those with "older fingers"! To get around that, I generally use a one-hand "pinch"... it takes some practice, but it's quite stable when you get the hang of it. Once in the grip, I autofire it briefly with a single long click using my other hand, then puff away.

Honestly, I also prefer a churchwarden style pipe, that drops the bowl down and a bit further away from my face. This is the thing that bugs me the most about the Terp Surfer--being too close. But, of course there's a lot I love about this form factor, and it slips nicely into my pocket.

https://flic.kr/p/2ofSRC5
Thanks, I'll try that. Also good to see a dark ring/walnut pic!

coolbreeze,
Reactions: Grass Yes

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Hmmm ok. Thanks for the input! It's not my first rodeo with convection so I'm a bit tempted to try a cheaper pipe. I saw some glass and ceramic pipes in this thread that looked nice. Do you have a favorite? It's hard to consider a 100+$ pipe after already spending 200+ dollars for the Neo. Don't get me wrong, I think the Neo may well be worth it but trying a $30 glass or ceramic recommended pipe can't be so much worse... can it?

What product would you use to clean the wood with?

coolbreeze

Hmmm ok. Thanks for the input! It's not my first rodeo with convection so I'm a bit tempted to try a cheaper pipe. I saw some glass and ceramic pipes in this thread that looked nice. Do you have a favorite? It's hard to consider a 100+$ pipe after already spending 200+ dollars for the Neo. Don't get me wrong, I think the Neo may well be worth it but trying a $30 glass or ceramic recommended pipe can't be so much worse... can it?
There's a sale with $30 off the Terp Surfer with a white Neo, for what it's worth. I think my favorite may be the TAG standing sherlock, but it looks like they have different ones now than the one I have. They're more like the Grav ones, which also work pretty well, both need a glass star.

Best alternative bowl for me has been a standard 18mm female joint with the screen mounted near the top of the grind: you can adjust it to just where you want, you probably won't need the silicon collar and can get quite close for some very tasty hits, you can fit it on anything depending on the joint below.

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
There's a sale with $30 off the Terp Surfer with a white Neo, for what it's worth. I think my favorite may be the TAG standing sherlock, but it looks like they have different ones now than the one I have. They're more like the Grav ones, which also work pretty well, both need a glass star.

Best alternative bowl for me has been a standard 18mm female joint with the screen mounted near the top of the grind: you can adjust it to just where you want, you probably won't need the silicon collar and can get quite close for some very tasty hits, you can fit it on anything depending on the joint below.
Hey, thanks so much. Appreciate the knowledge. :tup:

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
What product would you use to clean the wood with?

We ship it with a narrow bottle brush that you just dip in alcohol, then run it up the stem and then use a cotton swab for the chamber under the bowl. I clean mine maybe once a month. But, I clean the titanium bowl and screen every couple of uses with either just an alcohol wipe or a full dunk if needed.

Black_Prrl,
Reactions: Jill NYC

TigoleBitties

Big and Bouncy
Sorry for all the noob glass questions (just getting into glass) but if I bought a 19mm elev8 sherlock glass pipe and added a 16mm titanium screen (happen to have these on hand) do you think it might work well? Not sure how far down the bowl the screen would go and if the flower would be close enough for good heating. Also wondering if 19mm vs 18mm would make a difference in the seal.

coolbreeze

Sorry for all the noob glass questions (just getting into glass) but if I bought a 19mm elev8 sherlock glass pipe and added a 16mm titanium screen (happen to have these on hand) do you think it might work well? Not sure how far down the bowl the screen would go and if the flower would be close enough for good heating. Also wondering if 19mm vs 18mm would make a difference in the seal.
Ok, I think it will work. It will depend on the specific way they made the rim, but even if the chimney doesn't fit the glass perfectly, it sounds like it should with the silicone sleeve. It's a single-hole bowl it looks like, so that may affect the evenness of the heating but it should be fine. With a 'normal' sized push bowl like that, the depth should be completely within a usable range, so wherever you can place the screen securely should work. If you can't get a screen to stay, try a glass star or Smojo.

Fwiw, '18mm' is really shorthand for 18.8mm, or 19mm. In Europe they round up to 19 (correctly), in the US we just ignore the fraction in speech. So if you see 18mm joint, it's always a reference to the correct actual 18.8 or 19mm.

Edit: Fwiw, the elev8r bowl will work with a screen up in the grind.

Last edited:

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
Those new glass bowls are pretty awesome too.... They could make killer injector bowls if the fit is OK!! Please tell me they are standard 19/14 fittings :)

coolbreeze

Those new glass bowls are pretty awesome too.... They could make killer injector bowls if the fit is OK!! Please tell me they are standard 19/14 fittings :)
My guess is something like 20mm/14mm. I think the TS bowl is 20mm with a ledge.

coolbreeze,

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Just for reference, the quartz chimney on the Neo is exactly 19 mm and the recessed rim of the Terp Surfer's bowl is 19.4mm in diameter.

I highly recommend using the silicone adapter for 18.8mm female joints because their rims are often uneven and don't form a great seal with the chimney.

Also, for those looking for a nice titanium screen, ours are 16.5mm -- a bit larger than the typical 5/8" ones. Here's a pic of one in a 18F-->14M adapter.

https://flic.kr/p/2og9y24 https://flic.kr/p/2og4FZF

Haze Mister

Verdant Bloomer
Manufacturer
I might throw some money
Just for reference, the quartz chimney on the Neo is exactly 19 mm and the recessed rim of the Terp Surfer's bowl is 19.4mm in diameter.

This is an amazing looking device and since the chimney is both 19mm and easily replaceable may i suggest a tapered option for a good fit with other bowls ?

if those new bowls of yours had the tapered joint so an injector can sit in them, I woul dthrow some money at ya. They look absolutely stellar! Ever since i broke my first injector bowl ( a basic boro adapter) I had been craving for something heavy duty made of thick solid glass, no handles, and smooth joints..... it's almost become an obsession. :rolleyes:

Kudos for going with titanium screens! Some kind of notch or something to hold the screen from falling off when turning the bowl upside down would be the icing on the cake there. Emptying bowls is neatly done without tools by blowing from the back end into a large jar while the load is still hot, as the AVB just pops out cleanly.

Black_Prrl

Manufacturer
Just announced the new Crystal Bowl to our email list... consider signing up for early access to products and deals. We hate spam and send out newsletters just once a month or so. PrrlLabs.com

Here's the short video that we're going to run on social... please share with your friends who are still combusting so that they can consider having a healthier, "smoke-free smoke."

Holds 0.5g with a titanium screen, or replace that with an herb capsule for even smoother extractions. Standard 14mm tapered joint. Very easy to clean with no thin walls for scoobies to get stuck in...have I mentioned that I hate doing dishes? 😅 First colors are clear (Dilithium) and a translucent dark gray (Into the Void).

Check out the product page for more info. Happy to answer any questions here as well. 🚀

https://flic.kr/p/2ogkyT8

coolbreeze

Is that a bowl by @CDXX Pipes? I love his work!!
That one is actually an O'Connell WoodWorks injector bowl. He used to have an option listed for the Neo that I don't see anymore, but maybe he'd still do them on request.

@CDXX Pipes stuff is amazing. I have a Convectorium by him that so awesome it's nice to just look at! Using it's even better. Fantastic with the Neo, but it also works with many other vapes. It's a great bowl/base for standalone heaters like the Neo or ball injectors.

Gdash

I really like the O'Connell bowl but I get this weird issue sometimes where it seems to clog and not allow any airflow. It's like sucking on a straw with your finger covering the other end. I don't use the silicone sleeve and I'm assuming that the airflow is being blocked somewhere. Really excited for the new WPA. I have the 6 and 8 hole Purr bowls but I really don't like the glass screens. Twax bowls are my fav with the Neo.

Top Bottom