The most important vaporization discussion we need to have. (Your Vape Mail)

flammy

Nice post @Touf2n1 , vaporizers wasn't in our culture although I noticed a large increase in the interest about vaporizers... since a few months and friends at LCV confirmed me this tendency.

The Taffee Bowle will be probably sold on LCV pretty soon, but I agree Vapefiend and Verdampnotchmal already have it in stock,maybe it's cause LCV was just waiting to see how peoples are appreciating the device, it's pretty innovative and, cause the glass thing, some peoples are kept away. I read some posts on Reddit where peoples was seeing that glass like a gimmick... but I assume more peoples would be inclined to buy it but more cause the vaping performances rather than for the glass (personnaly I never used my glass and it ended to be a sort of vape pen storage thing).

I saw many petitions about that law although can I assume no-US peoples votes don't have any impact...? Is Canada thinking to do the same about vaporizers/e-cigs shipments?

Hi, @EliumVapor , it's too bad, if you can't ship any vaporizers and only sells in physicals place it will be very, very difficult for small "artisan" or "start-up" companies to launch... I believe the huge cannabis market profits may help to find a solution to continue shipments under some conditions, if you have to pick-up your package in a local store and MUST to show an identity card at the name of the recipient I can't see how big is the issue (yes you can ask to an older guy to order for you if you are a child but it's pretty the same with a physical store so...). On top of that this sort of delivery system (where you pick up your package in a local store) is usually cheaper but a bit more cumbersome than home delivery without signature for sure, but I believe it may be a good compromise :hmm:

If this is happen (no more vaporizers shipments allowed) only bigger companies will survive cause, like MistVape said, if they are doing false declaration they may have so much fines to pay... no, it's not doable or maybe trying to play on the wording, if you declare it as an electronical device you aren't lying, just not precise at all :ugh:

Is it already done? Is there still some hopes? I ask cause somebody posted a date for Usps, UPS and Fedex....

The recent amendment to the PACT Act ("Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act") does not affect the majority of dry herb devices. The intent of the amendment was to address the rise in the use of nicotine among the youth in the US which is the reason why the legislation that proposed the amendment to the PACT Act was called the "Preventing Online Sales of E-Cigarettes to Children Act". What specifically happened is that the definition of a "Cigarette" as found in the PACT Act was amended to include ENDS ("Electronic Nicotine Delivery System"). Whether a device is affected by this amendment is completely dependent on whether it meets the definition of an ENDS. Specifically, an ENDS product is defined as “any electronic device that, through an aerosolized solution, delivers nicotine, flavor, or any other substance to the user inhaling from the device,” including “an e-cigarette; an e-hookah; an e-cigar; a vape pen; an advanced refillable personal vaporizer; an electronic pipe; and any component, liquid, part, or accessory of a device described [above], without regard to whether the component, liquid, part, or accessory is sold separately from the device. (Note that there is a common theme in the legislation involved...they all clearly were created to deal with tobacco and the term that was modified was Cigarette; additionally the enforcement agency for this is the ATF rather than the DEA)

The definition of ENDS has several limiting factors that are listed in order of priority. First, it needs to be electronic and then second, it needs to be able to aerosolize a solution. This means that all butane driven devices (eg Dynavap, Vapman, etc) would not be considered an ENDS as it doesn't satisfy the first limiting factor of being electronic. The next step is to determine whether the device is designed to aerosolize a solution and in order to do that, its helpful to know what a solution is gernally defined as in this context. From Oxford Dictionary: a liquid mixture in which the minor component (the solute) is uniformly distributed within the major component (the solvent). This is what nicotine juice is and demonstrably not dry herb.

Additionally, we can take further cues from the USPS themselves as they submitted a proposed rule regarding this the PACT Act amendment. The title itself is telling as it relates to the intent: "Treatment of E-Cigarettes in the Mail". (https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...1-03393/treatment-of-e-cigarettes-in-the-mail)

We can also look to the FDA and the way that they define ENDS and take note of the fact that they explicitly state that ENDS are noncombustible tobacco products and dry herb is very much combustible.

"Vapes, vaporizers, vape pens, hookah pens, electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes or e-cigs), and e-pipes are some of the many terms used to describe electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS). ENDS are noncombustible tobacco products.

These products use an “e-liquid” that may contain nicotine, as well as varying compositions of flavorings, propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, and other ingredients. The liquid is heated to create an aerosol that the user inhales. "

The issue is that the definition of ENDS was created broadly enough to deal with folks who would sell a device that is capable of vaping nicotine juice but would try to advertise in a way to circumvent the ENDS definition. One could most likely use an ecig device to deliver a substance other than nicotine and it wouldn't be too hard to imagine folks wanting to say that the device delivered something else instead so as to skirt the definition. This is why the "any other substance" part is included in the definition. Essentially, an ENDS is a device that is electronic and can aerosolize a solution regardless of what substance is within that solution (CBD, THC, nicotine). This definitely means that all carts of all varieties are affected and this vagueness is concerning for devices that are used for concentrates. Although concentrates (not carts) are not a solution, the devices used for concentrates are typically capable of aerosolizing a solution which puts it into a grey area.

Currently, the requirements under the PACT Act are self imposed so the maker/manufacturer will need to make an assessment on whether what they are selling/shipping can be reasonably considered an ENDS. If people are waiting for clarification that would explicitly exclude dry herb devices from the definition of ENDS, I think that wait is futile as long as cannabis is illegal on a federal level since doing so would conflict with the fact that cannabis is federally outlawed.

Last edited:

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Any ECig users remember, not long ago, the inclusion of new labels on the packaging of even just a device and no battery: “THIS PRODUCT CONTAINS NICOTINE”? Seems obvious now, how this was an advanced move to help identify products that may now be included in the mail ban. :(

west-elec

Sorry if this question is ignorant, but if vapes can't be shipped how will the wholesalers get them off the wharf and delivered to the 7-11s and ecig shops?

west-elec,

EliumVapor

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Anyone familiar with UPS Access Points? Looks like a viable option. I found several around me in my area some in vape shops.

Vape_Or_Die420

Not sure how this cant affect international customers buying US products. If a US manufacturer/distributer wants to send a vape internationally they have little choice but to use the US postal service or something within the country of origin before it departs the US.

Seems like international peeps think they are out of the woods on this issue but i cant see how. Let me know if I'm missing something.

flammy

@flammy - sorry, but vaporizing DRY HERB DOES aerosolize - what the hell do you think vapor IS?

I understand that aerosolization occurs when you vaporize flower but flower is not a solution.

The word aerosol quite literally means "air-solution"
You can't say it's an aerosol but has no solution. Even air is a solution... nitrogen being the solvent, oxygen the solute.

Dry herb is not a solution.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
through an aerosolized solution, delivers nicotine, flavor, or any other substance to the user inhaling from the device
That's exactly how dry herb vaping works. By inhaling from the device, a substance is delivered through an aerosolized solution.

Neither is nicotine unless processed into one. The claim is that the substance is delivered through a solution. Perhaps there are other potential loopholes here but the solution one is a rough one and could go any way if truly exercised.

Last edited:

flammy

I understand that aerosolization occurs when you vaporize flower but flower is not a solution.

That's exactly how dry herb vaping works. By inhaling from the device, a substance is delivered through an aerosolized solution.

Neither is nicotine?

You are 100% correct. Nicotine is not a solution. However, nicotine juice (aka e-liquid or nic juice) is a solution.

I am not simply relying on an interpretation of the bill's verbiage...I am also looking to the FDA as it relates to their guidance on ENDS....I included a link in my above explanation.

Farid

All of these semantic distinctions may be relevant to us, but to me the intent of the law seems clear. While this gray area may protect a vape company in the immediate short term, all it will take is a clarification of the language to make their product illegal. My guess is that the people writing the law are not chemists or scientists, and so by the term "solution" they may have intended to include mixture or suspension or a more broad definition. After all the heat not burn products like IQOS - which are dry herb vapes with another name - are covered by the PACT act, and regulated the same way as ecigs.

More importantly there's the issue of whether a dry herb vaporizer company wants to take the risk of assuming the language of the law isn't targeting them. We're already seeing companies like Terp Tech close their doors because they don't want to take the risk. This is a tiny industry, and the costs are astronomical if they do target you. Even if you win in court due to ambiguity in the language, the legal fees alone are enough to put a lot of companies under.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, and tbh I think the herb vaporizer industry will survive in the form of desktops and butane vapes. But if I owned a company that manufactured a battery dry herb vape I'd be pulling the emergency brakes right now. Maybe I'm just excessively cautious.

flammy

All of these semantic distinctions may be relevant to us, but to me the intent of the law seems clear. While this gray area may protect a vape company in the immediate short term, all it will take is a clarification of the language to make their product illegal. My guess is that the people writing the law are not chemists or scientists, and so by the term "solution" they may have intended to include mixture or suspension or a more broad definition. After all the heat not burn products like IQOS - which are dry herb vapes with another name - are covered by the PACT act, and regulated the same way as ecigs.

More importantly there's the issue of whether a dry herb vaporizer company wants to take the risk of assuming the language of the law isn't targeting them. We're already seeing companies like Terp Tech close their doors because they don't want to take the risk. This is a tiny industry, and the costs are astronomical if they do target you. Even if you win in court due to ambiguity in the language, the legal fees alone are enough to put a lot of companies under.

Not trying to be doom and gloom, and tbh I think the herb vaporizer industry will survive in the form of desktops and butane vapes. But if I owned a company that manufactured a battery dry herb vape I'd be pulling the emergency brakes right now. Maybe I'm just excessively cautious.

Not sure how the IQOS can be considered a dry herb vape when its clearly a tobacco centric device (developed and marketed by Philip Morris). I don't disagree that the industry has a tough road ahead but to be fair, that was the case prior to the PACT amendment. At the end of the day, controversy and issues will be present so long as there are legal prohibitions on the federal level.

PayPal suspending accounts tied to retailers or makers was not an uncommon occurrence at all. I do agree that butane vapes are absolutely excluded but not sure how desktops would be under your interpretation as they are still largely electronic.

I don't think that the PACT Act amendment was meant to target dry herb devices but I dont think those who drafted cared one bit if the language would cause disruption within the industry.

Farid

I mention desktops because they are much less likely to be mistaken with ecigs and flagged by the ATF or shipping companies. Still not any more protected than a battery vape if the microscope is on them, but I think there is a slightly larger gray area for them to exist in. Especially logs which look particularly innocuous and make genuinely good essential oil diffusers.

My point about IQOS is that it isn't designed to be used with a solution, and is still covered by the PACT act. The argument could be made that any dry herb vape can easily be used with tobacco, making it tobacco hardware same as the IQOS (the device not the heet sticks). I see the inclusion of the term "electronic pipes" to be particularly open ended, and could likely be used to cover electronic dry herb vapes and electronic smoking devices like those shitty pens that combust bud.

Last edited:

flammy

I mention desktops because they are much less likely to be mistaken with ecigs and flagged by the ATF or shipping companies. Still not any more protected than a battery vape if the microscope is on them, but I think there is a slightly larger gray area for them to exist in. Especially logs which look particularly innocuous and make genuinely good essential oil diffusers.

My point about IQOS is that it isn't designed to be used with a solution, and is still covered by the PACT act. The argument could be made that any dry herb vape can easily be used with tobacco, making it tobacco hardware same as the IQOS (the device not the heet sticks). I see the inclusion of the term "electronic pipes" to be particularly open ended, and could likely be used to cover electronic dry herb vapes and electronic smoking devices like those shitty pens that combust bud.

Fair...I can see the relevance of the IQOS in this context and see your point in desktops as well. This said, dry herb devices have been operating in a grey area since they were first marketed and sold (hence the use of alternative descriptives such as aroma therapy devices) and it seems like a viable way for the industry to continue is to coalesce around the grey areas contained in the PACT Act amendment. If not that, then what?

It appears that the penalties for violating the PACT Act will not exceed 2% of gross sales and perhaps the way around this is adjust prices so that a reserve can be created to pay that amount if need be. I think it will be important for retailers/makers to take a definitive stance on whether they believe the products they are selling/shipping is considered an ENDS and let their customers know. Personally, I will not be making any purchases from any makers/retailers who are compliant with PACT as I do not wish for my information to be collected by the ATF and for me its definitely worth a price premium to avoid that.

flammy,

EliumVapor

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Just got off the phone with UPS. They will allow vaporizer companies to ship to a UPS access point near the customer and the customer can pick up at the access point after verifying the age. This is not convenient for everyone but it certainly means that ecommerce for vaporizer companies is not dead.

sirwalter

But dry herb vapes do not aerosolize a solution.

That's essentially the position Dynavap is taking on this. From their instagram today-

"DynaVap products are mailable products because the Federal "Vape Mail Ban" does not apply to our devices. DynaVap devices do not utilize liquid for the production of an aerosolized solution as defined by the law."

No idea if that will hold up or not. Sure hope so.

Endless Interim

If I take the cap off my 2020M and pack it full and light it ,combust..... it appears to me without the cap it is the same as a chillum/one hitter.So in other words just a pipe right?And no disrespect to Dynavap or the product itself.So it should be sold along other pipes and hopefully no issues continuing to sell it.I think I am missing something though(?)

Farid

If there is one thread where I hope to be proven wrong this would be it.

Unfortunately, I'm hearing that today Puffitup has closed their online store? Can anyone confirm this???

I just placed an order. They seem to be up and working. Stock is low but it's a GREAT opportunity to pick up stems and accessories. I just filled up on glass stems for most of my vapes. Instead of the normal $12,99 and up, they are 3 and 4 dollars each.

Seems to be plenty of XMax V2 vapes left. I got one earlier and it hits awesome. Very nice vape for about 20 bucks (normally about $80).

I can't believe no one has grabbed the Omni XL Titanium VapCap that's still there.

Good luck to Randy and the entire gang at Puff It Up in whatever happens in the end.

Hackerman,

sirwalter

Yeah I spoke with Puffitup- they aren't accepting payments anymore. No idea if that is permanent or not.

I just placed an order. They seem to be up and working.

If you managed to put in an order today you lucked out. You can't check out anymore. I wasn't able to check out late last night either.

flammy

If I take the cap off my 2020M and pack it full and light it ,combust..... it appears to me without the cap it is the same as a chillum/one hitter.So in other words just a pipe right?And no disrespect to Dynavap or the product itself.So it should be sold along other pipes and hopefully no issues continuing to sell it.I think I am missing something though(?)

That isn't necessary as Dynavap is a butane driven device and thus does not satisfy an ENDS' first limiting factor of being an electronic device.

This said, I also want to point out that there is already a law in place regarding this particular topic and I think its important to take note of the type of enforcement or lack thereof as it relates to this law. I'm speaking specifically of US Code Title 21 Section 863 which covers drug paraphernalia.

(Drug Paraphernalia as defined as any equipment, product, or material of any kind which is primarily intended or designed for use in manufacturing, compounding, converting, concealing, producing, processing, preparing, injecting, ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing into the human body a controlled substance, possession of which is unlawful under this subchapter. It includes items primarily intended or designed for use in ingesting, inhaling, or otherwise introducing marijuana, cocaine, hashish, hashish oil, PCP, methamphetamine, or amphetamines into the human body)

This law prohibits (1) to sell or offer for sale drug paraphernalia; (2) to use the mails or any other facility of interstate commerce to transport drug paraphernalia; or (3) to import or export drug paraphernalia. Rather than a financial penalty, conviction under this law could lead to up to 3 years in prison and civil forfeiture.

There is no doubt whatsoever that this subsection definitely covers all cannabis delivery devices but the fact that retailers and makers (both device and glass) have been allowed to operate with relative impunity (coupled with the other indicators that I've referenced previously) should give confidence that the PACT Act amendement was not meant to target cannabis delivery devices (unless they can be easily exploited to deliver nicotine as well). This subsection is also why one should not expect to have the USPS or any federal agency to create a carve-out for cannabis delivery devices as it relates to the definition of an ENDS. It would be in contradiction to existing codified laws covering this topic.

Top Bottom