The Mighty/Mighty+ by Storz & Bickel

LakeLikeAnOcean

Hi everyone! I’m new to dry herb vaping and thinking about picking up a Mighty+. From everything I’ve read the device looks perfect, but I keep seeing conflicting reports as to whether it has an isolated airpath. Is there any substance to the rumor that air can flow through the charging port? That is the only thing giving me pause, and the internet seems 50/50 on whether the Mighty+ is truly isolated or not.

LakeLikeAnOcean,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hi everyone! I’m new to dry herb vaping and thinking about picking up a Mighty+. From everything I’ve read the device looks perfect, but I keep seeing conflicting reports as to whether it has an isolated airpath. Is there any substance to the rumor that air can flow through the charging port? That is the only thing giving me pause, and the internet seems 50/50 on whether the Mighty+ is truly isolated or not.
Welcome to FC.
Mighty is a solid choice, imo, out of a field of many these days. Lots of us here have more than one kind/brand of vape, as you will see. As I said Mighty is a great starting point.

(VAS= Vape Aquisition Syndrome)

I think the airpath is separated from, but not totally sealed off from the electronics.
I opened one up, there are photos in my post below.
In 3rd and 4th photo,
At the bottom of the heater tube you can see some lint clogging the air intake (too many times in my dusty pockets over 4-1/2 yrs!).
The inlets in the body are immediately under that , adjacent, and below that is a plastic housing- horizontal member- that forms the divider. There's a slot for wires to pass through (back in photo 2). You can see that some resin has collected on wires below, but only a small amount compared to above.
So I say separated while not sealed with a gasket. I make assumption that Mighty+ is the same configuration.
I also think that, while drawing, air will come in from a least-resistance path, which in this case is the one right next to the heater tube inlet.
I have zero concerns about airpath/electronics in Mighty.
Dis-Assembly & Battery Replacement, Mighty (#MY0234XX, circa 10/2015)
-- New batteries, internal cleaning (June 17, 2020)

As I mentioned a couple posts up, the batteries came from @JCat , though idk the spec, they are either 3,000 or maybe 3120 mAh versus 2700’s that came out. His thread for replacement battery, instructions, video, discussion etc.:
Custom Crafty Battery Packs for Easy Replacement

Separately, there’s a pretty good Youtube (below) of a battery job on a Mighty, very helpful; there don’t seem to be many around.
I cannot vouch for the safety of the soldering practices in this video (I just don’t know enough about it).
He also did not point out the bottom latch clearly.
To open the case he used a 1.5 mm hex driver. I believe the 1.5 mm is probably correct, but I could not get mine to fit. I used a 1/16” hex driver instead. It worked fine right up to the end; on re-tightening the last bit I probably did some damage to the screw. I hope I don’t need to open the case ever again.
The Youtube does show the tabs and slots at the top clearly and how to slide the case open.

I hope I’m not too imprecise or redundant in my descriptions below. I was not intending a full-blown instructional-type guide, just some of my experience.

I exposed the screw holes with a sharp knife:

View attachment 1242

The two halves of the case interlock at three points, two at the top and one at the bottom. After removing the two case screws, remove the orange poker and under it is the tab to push. It is visible in next photo. Push in on tab and pry the halves apart slightly at the bottom seam using a screwdriver or poker. This took a minute or two; stubborn parts after years together.

Do not pull the halves more than about ½” apart at bottom -- they are attached by tabs at the top that can easily break. The Youtube shows these steps clearly.
You can see the 4 top tabs hanging down from the top edge in next photo. They fit into slots on the other half.

Slide the back cover up so it’s tabs clear their matching slots on the housing front cover. This also took some gentle persuasion. I did break both slots at the top, but one end of each did not break off, so I was able to re-assemble “okay” when the time came. Phew.
I now understand the reason some Mighty's seem to "come apart at the seam" along the top. The slots are not much sturdier than the little railings that break so easily near the chamber sides. The tabs you see here are stronger than the slots into which they fit.

View attachment 1251

Next are existing internals. There is debris at the entry to the air path, seen in next two photos:

View attachment 1257

View attachment 1243

And next shows the air path entry hole, cleared but not yet cleaned. It’s the crescent shaped hole at the bottom of the plastic case that holds the heater and its' housing, the heater's temp sensor and the chamber.

View attachment 1244

The plastic housing and metal insert that holds the heater and chamber. The insert is shown again in the photo that follows this one.

View attachment 1245

Next photo is the insert assembly that houses the heater and the air path and has the chamber fastened to it.

The round hole centered at the bottom is where the heater tube inserts, and the semi-circular hole is the air intake.

The heater itself is a tube-like stick, seen on the mat in the background of the photo below. I did not get a photo of the heater’s temp sensor.

Note the black o-ring (was originally blue, silicone) around the outside of the chamber. I should have measured this, it should be s.o.p. to replace this as part of this procedure; maybe a guess of size can be made based on the chamber it encircles. The ring broke into 3 pieces and I did not have a match, but I did fashion one from some high temp silicone tubing and was able to move forward. Unfortunately, no pics of that either.

I soaked the metal insert (all aluminum?) in iso alcohol for about 90 minutes. You can’t see light through this tube; there is some sort of baffle at the top just below chamber holes, that prevents seeing anything inside the tubes. It would be fascinating to see the insides! I could not ascertain if or where the two paths might join together; didn’t spend much time exploring that.

View attachment 1247

Next are two pics of the new batteries.
@JCat soldered the leads on, added the proper plugs and wrapped all. Nicely done!
I swapped the temp. sensors on to them from the old batteries, and I also peeled/stuck some end covers from the old to the new. There was also a bumper stuck on top end of each battery, for snug fit.

View attachment 1248

View attachment 1249

All back in place in next photo. On the left-hand battery I did have to move the temp sensor a little to the right before the cover would fit on. It is a fussy fit, all the stuff in there!

View attachment 1250

As I mentioned, the two slots at top of case broke partially during opening, though they are holding well enough on assembly.
I also had to fashion an o-ring to replace the brittle one.
In the end, it all snapped together and looks just fine.
I replaced all the other seals, the chamber screen and the mouthpiece stem. I leave c/u screen off lately.

I admit that I wanted the chamber to look clean, so I used a very fine sandpaper on the aluminum chamber walls, just enough to clean it up. I’m sure this has created some fine scratches that will just trap gunk sooner, but I have been trying to use capsules a lot lately and using them keeps the bowl cleaner. I don't recommend the sandpaper treatment, btw. To the bowl, that is...

The draw is marginally better, I believe mainly due to the removal of lint/debris from the entrance to the airway. Deep cleaning (iso soaking) the air path had to help on some level as well.

The Mighty, when fully charged now heats in 1 minute, 15 seconds (29C to 180C). I believe this is faster than when new!
I've now got the "20% more battery power" Mighty.

Long may it run!
With a little luck, I won't need a Mighty+!

Thanks again @JCat for taking the initiative, and to @SquirrelMaster and @Stu for teaching me how to do photos here.
I've learned that 10 pix per post is the limit, good thing that's all I had...

LakeLikeAnOcean

Welcome to FC.
Mighty is a solid choice, imo, out of a field of many these days. Lots of us here have more than one kind/brand of vape, as you will see. As I said Mighty is a great starting point.

(VAS= Vape Aquisition Syndrome)

I think the airpath is separated from, but not totally sealed off from the electronics.
I opened one up, there are photos in my post below.
In 3rd and 4th photo,
At the bottom of the heater tube you can see some lint clogging the air intake (too many times in my dusty pockets over 4-1/2 yrs!).
The inlets in the body are immediately under that , adjacent, and below that is a plastic housing- horizontal member- that forms the divider. There's a slot for wires to pass through (back in photo 2). You can see that some resin has collected on wires below, but only a small amount compared to above.
So I say separated while not sealed with a gasket. I make assumption that Mighty+ is the same configuration.
I also think that, while drawing, air will come in from a least-resistance path, which in this case is the one right next to the heater tube inlet.
I have zero concerns about airpath/electronics in Mighty.
Holy ****, thank you for posting such a detailed answer! Health concerns are one of the factors that drew me to the Mighty+ (and what convinced me to switch from combustion in the first place!) so a full teardown like that is exactly what I was looking for.

If it’s not too off topic, are there any other vapes (S&B or otherwise) that you’d recommend to someone just starting out with dry herb? You mentioned the Mighty was one of many solid starting choices, but I usually see it described as the best (at least in terms of safety and functionality among portables).

LakeLikeAnOcean,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
If it’s not too off topic, are there any other vapes (S&B or otherwise) that you’d recommend to someone just starting out with dry herb?

In general terms, Mighty is a conduction-leaning hybrid conduction/convection vape. You might explore some of the convection type? It is not uncommon to have more than one vape, to enjoy the strong points of each.

Here are some folks recently asking similar questions.

840_divided_by_two

Just ordered my first S&B product with the mighty+... and 40 dosing caps (plus the filling kit), 2 magazines, a Keychain mag, extra cooling unit, tight vac capsule organizer....am I missing anything? Stand? I have a 65w PD charger for fast charging already which should work well. Plan on preloading hemp flower for day/night, a 1:1 magazine, and a heavy hitting THC + Dry Sift magazine. This should be fun 

tbill

Just ordered my first S&B product with the mighty+... and 40 dosing caps (plus the filling kit), 2 magazines, a Keychain mag, extra cooling unit, tight vac capsule organizer....am I missing anything? Stand? I have a 65w PD charger for fast charging already which should work well. Plan on preloading hemp flower for day/night, a 1:1 magazine, and a heavy hitting THC + Dry Sift magazine. This should be fun 
You should definitely buy the stand. I use The Mighty Plus like a desktop vape. Also, if you like to use glass, you should buy a water pipe adapter.

Last edited:

840_divided_by_two

You should definitely buy the stand. I use The Mighty Plus like a desktop vape. Also, if you like to use glass, you should buy a water pipe adapter.

Perfect, going to do just that. Have a 14mm male to female whip from Mr. Bonsai that'll work perfectly.

840_divided_by_two,

crownroyaldaddy

I seem to have an issue with Mightys where after a lot of use, the quality of vapor drastically decreases (taste, vapor production, session time decreases). This happened with my OG Mighty after a couple of years and now with ny Mighty+ even quicker.

Just gave my + a nice clean (replaced bottom screen, cleaned underneath, etc) but not seeing much improvement. Does stuff build up inside that requires disassembly to clean after a while?

It is my favorite vape, so I use it multiple times/day. Just looking to keep it working right!

mixchu69

I seem to have an issue with Mightys where after a lot of use, the quality of vapor drastically decreases (taste, vapor production, session time decreases). This happened with my OG Mighty after a couple of years and now with ny Mighty+ even quicker.

Just gave my + a nice clean (replaced bottom screen, cleaned underneath, etc) but not seeing much improvement. Does stuff build up inside that requires disassembly to clean after a while?

It is my favorite vape, so I use it multiple times/day. Just looking to keep it working right!
Happened with my OG mighty. But it took several years to notice that vapor quality suffered and tasted worse. My guess was battery degradation and herb particles dropping through holes in the bowl (probably buildup). I was never diligent in cleaning my mighty (but always cleaned my CUs)

840_divided_by_two

Might be RMA worthy, to be honest. Also could have something to do with charging habits. All my LiPo battery using electronics get put on the charger whenever they reach about 20%, and I try my hardest take them off at 85%. Helps mitigate battery wear which will absolutely affect longevity and even max voltage. Leaving it plugged in even when fully charged can have negative effects, as well as fully discharging the batteries every cycle. I don't know the ins and outs of the chip S&B usees but it's possible they have safeguards in place...not sure though. Just my best guess

crownroyaldaddy

Might be RMA worthy, to be honest. Also could have something to do with charging habits. All my LiPo battery using electronics get put on the charger whenever they reach about 20%, and I try my hardest take them off at 85%. Helps mitigate battery wear which will absolutely affect longevity and even max voltage. Leaving it plugged in even when fully charged can have negative effects, as well as fully discharging the batteries every cycle. I don't know the ins and outs of the chip S&B usees but it's possible they have safeguards in place...not sure though. Just my best guess
Thanks fellas!

I am not super strict about managing the battery, but in general I charge when I get to around 20%. I do fully charge. With no ability to limit the charging cap (like I do on my car), I’ve never put too much energy into it. My OG has the original battery and is still going with reasonable degradation after 4-5? years.

Also, I suppose its possible I’m imagining the difference? Maybe it’s worth the investment to get a new Mighty every year or two?

I hope my posts don’t scare any prospective buyers away. Mighty is still the #1 portable I’ve used!

crownroyaldaddy,

RedZep

I would love some more input from other users. This was my experience with my OG which I ended up selling for cheap.

I always get tempted by the mighty+ as there still is no portable that matches the ease of use. But i always hold back for fear it will stop producing clouds consistently.

tbill

Do you consistently use dosing capsules? I have had mine for 7 months now and have noticed no difference from the first day.
I have always used dosing capsules and know when to do some cleaning because the screens eventually fall out form the cooling unit or the main chamber.-maybe once a month? Other than that, I just brush away the weed on the cooling unit screen.

tbill,

crownroyaldaddy

I tried dosing capsules, but they’re not for me.

I have about 10 CUs that i clean at once then rotate.

I know your herb quality does matter. I just had a better session last night with this new stuff i got in. Everything I vape looks amazing, but it is NOT medical so I cannot verify each purchase

crownroyaldaddy,

840_divided_by_two

I tried dosing capsules, but they’re not for me.

I have about 10 CUs that i clean at once then rotate.

I know your herb quality does matter. I just had a better session last night with this new stuff i got in. Everything I vape looks amazing, but it is NOT medical so I cannot verify each purchase
I've only had my crafty+ for like 5 days but as I was learning to use it I found that the way I pack it has a significant impact on vapor production. It loves tight packs. Whole nuggs packed into a dosing cap worked very well too. Loose packs/half packs were wispy and weak though. Maybe that's a variable that is in play?

isbilly

I am in love with the wallpaper of this forum.
I have a Mighty+ and wanted to say in case it hasn't been mentioned before and if it has, it's probably impossible to find....... The straight water pipe that attaches to the top instead of the cooling chamber is SO nice. very cool for a noob to have a way to use a bubbler easily. I'm very new so learning a lot here.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have a Mighty+ and wanted to say in case it hasn't been mentioned before and if it has, it's probably impossible to find....... The straight water pipe that attaches to the top instead of the cooling chamber is SO nice. very cool for a noob to have a way to use a bubbler easily. I'm very new so learning a lot here.
I have one of those and I like it, too. I use it dry, no water. You get the cooling but better flavor.
I would like to find the version of this family of glass pieces that is the long dimpled stem, I have not seen it in US.

So, I have the bubbler and a wpa with the same plastic base, the one they all say to not over-tighten (agreed!). I think the screen is too high up into the glass, it leaves room above the herb load. I take a brass pipe screen and make it convex, stick it in near the base/opening of the glass, and it domes out, convex, a little.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Y'all I got an err004 message and now not boost and super boost are 40 apart instead of 27. And it was 43 like ten minutes ago. What's going on?

Edit: did some research and found that it happens sometimes and doesn't really mean much. A software reset fixed it. Weirdly enough it was the switch cable. After I first saw the code I was able to replicate it by replugging in the cable. Weird

Last edited:
Zuhdj,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Tweakz

I did buy my first mighty+ after owning several heavy hitters for a few years (including a Tinymight OG).

I can definitely say how much I missed Mighty+ in my small collection. as a million times said, I confirm: Hits are really smooth and pleasant, the clouds are quite large and dense. abv is always very evenly extracted and nicely colored (max temp +full load with gentle tamp in the end ) . and it’s so damn easy to work with it ( load/unload, time/speed draw)

Sonics420

The Mighty+ is still my go to vape.. now when adding the WPA from VgoodieZ this thing is even better. I refuse to use the stock cooling unit/mouth piece.

I found that the WPA was sucking the herbs up to the screen in the WPA.. so I added one of the capsules as a spacer..actually works good, I can just add some more bud or hash into the spacer (capsule) too for bigger sessions 😆

Bonus points when you dump the bowl and it comes out in a little ABV puck.

FrogDR

guys, has anyone tried to disassemble Mighty+? Is the case similar to the first Mighty or is there something more difficult ?

FrogDR,
Reactions: BigJr48

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok guys, bad news. I just accidentally dropped my Mighty. I’ve had it a long long time. The screen stopped working. Is there anyway I can fix this? Or is it dead?

Also, do I buy another Mighty or is there another portable vape I should be looking out for?

Top Bottom