peterchen

MFLB: your technique and experience

Modnote: Merged (8 posts).

Hi all,

I thought it might be interesting to compare the technique and experience of MFLB users.
I'll go ahead and start:

herb: my grinder doesnt grind too fine unfortunately, so after the 2nd hit I take out the then crunchy herb and grind it again between two sheets of paper. This works pretty well.

hits: I usually take between 2-3 hits to get high and I get around 5 hits per trench. When I got my box about 2 weeks ago, 1 hit used to be enough.

technique: After inserting the battery, I look at the light through the long stem and wait a few seconds before it gets blurry. I exhale and start to inhale slowly until my lung is nearly full, which takes about 10 seconds maybe. After I stop I inhale some clean air on top and keep it in for about as long as possible.
This way I never see any vapor when exhaling.

Looking forward to hear about your experiences.

peterchen,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
CombustionJunction said:
ty14 said:
is it easy to combust with the power adapter?
Yes! If you're not careful, it will happen. You definitely need to unlearn what you think you know about the MFLB, and re-learn to use it with the PA. Don't wait around till you see vapor, just start hitting it right away. And no micro-hitting. Also, you really don't need to be all the way on high. It's kinda overkill. But that's the beauty of the PA. If you burn a trench, just take it down a notch and you'll be fine. Even at half power, the PA works better than any battery. My advice when you get it is to start off low and work your way up until you find your sweet spot.

I still do a faster version of microhitting with the PA. I like to start off on a higher temp (90%) and work my way down as the taste turns. At lower temps you can still get pretty good tasting hits off a browned trench.

JDSupreme,

sundaddy

rtwoite said:
I bought some extra duracell batteries and charger. They are rated 2450 liMH, but seem a little warmer than the stock batteries. Is that ok?

I too bought the Duracell 15 min charger with 4 batteries, and it was way better than the stock batteries. I use a little over 1 battery a day and vape all day. (probably 25-30 hits)

sundaddy,

sundaddy

clayton said:
My PA is awesome but what isn't awesome is my low stash :(

Anyone every try vaping their ABV on the highest setting?

Yeah, I vape 'till golden-green, then vape that again if I need to later. it still taste good too. I have rarely had to do this, but it's a great safety net!

sundaddy,

Nosferatu

I take like 20 or more hits... :uhoh: But anyways ya my technique is like that but I now shake the box around so its constanty mixing and cant burn, while taking hit after hit, it really milks up this way.

Nosferatu,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
chloe said:
I'm curious...do some of these answers get put on the wiki or anything? Quite a few of MF posts I would love to read over from time to time esp. the ones where they mind fuck you like that...

i knew i got better and more efficient hits from the box vs the warez...and its nice to get a scientific explanation...

:peace:

Yes. some of them do. I started the Vaporpedia MFLB entry by first listing all magicflight's answers and then editing them. Like you, I enjoy re-reading his posts occasionally because I learn something every time. At this point about two-thirds of the entry is pretty much written by magicflight.

I add any new answers or explanations that I believe should be included, but I think the entry is already a bit overwhelming so I try to use discretion. As I just said a few pages back, anyone can log in and add or change the entry; I'm not possessive about it. Sometimes I miss things or forget to add something, so suggestions or criticisms are always welcome.

pakalolo,

peterchen

masbanji92 said:
I take like 20 or more hits...

wow, that is a lot. Do the latter hits still have any effect? My herb looks all brown after 5 hits.

masbanji92 said:
I now shake the box around so its constantly mixing and cant burn

I do that too, forgot to mention that.

peterchen,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
masbanji92 said:
I take like 20 or more hits... :uhoh: But anyways ya my technique is like that but I now shake the box around so its constanty mixing and cant burn, while taking hit after hit, it really milks up this way.

Thats what I do. I make sure there is no stuff stuck to the trench between hits. Trench flipping becomes second nature after a little bit. I have full control over my flip and tumble now :)

peterchen said:
herb: my grinder doesnt grind too fine unfortunately, so after the 2nd hit I take out the then crunchy herb and grind it again between two sheets of paper. This works pretty well.

Im guessing you have a multi-stage grinder with larger holes that doesn't allow for a finer grind. Try turning it upside down while grinding so the bud cant fall through the holes then flip it over. You should get a fine grind this way.

I just ordered my first space case from vapeworld with the FC discount last night. 2.5" 2 piece. Nice and simple.

JDSupreme,

schwann

JDSupreme said:
masbanji92 said:

Thats what I do. I make sure there is no stuff stuck to the trench between hits. Trench flipping becomes second nature after a little bit. I have full control over my flip and tumble now :)

peterchen said:

Im guessing you have a multi-stage grinder with larger holes that doesn't allow for a finer grind. Try turning it upside down while grinding so the bud cant fall through the holes then flip it over. You should get a fine grind this way.

I just ordered my first space case from vapeworld with the FC discount last night. 2.5" 2 piece. Nice and simple.

My Chromium Crusher 4pc grinds up my bud very finely already. It just depends on the grinder.

schwann,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
spentskeeper said:
I'm wondering if the MFLD taste better with the PA?

Overall, I think the taste is better. Its directly related to being able to adjust temp. The control allows you to dial in on the perfect flavor (just like a vari-volt ecigs, which I also have an addiction to)

Im assuming we're talking about the Magic Flight Launch Duck right? :)

duckcopy.jpg

hahaha I love photoshop :) see what the PA does to you ^^^^^^^^^^

JDSupreme,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
lwien said:
vapor racer said:
I just got the La Crosse BC-700, and am wondering if I should have just got the more expensive Maha C-9000. Can someone tell me if the batteries charge better with the Maha C-9000, therefore giving you bigger hits. Thanks.

I have a BC-700. Great charger.

The only difference between the BC900 and the BC700 is the BC900 can charge up to a 1000mah versus the 700 at, you guessed it, 700mah.
1000mah will charge your batteries faster, but at 700, it\\\'s a bit easier on them.

One charger will not provide you bigger hits than the other.

Geez lwein, every time I read this thread you are pimping that piece of shit BC-700 again. I can not keep up with you. I have posted this information before IMO based on facts the BC-700 is a crippled charger that should not be used on any batteries that come with the LB let alone higher mAh batteries like PowerEx 2700s.

As you know Maha the makers of both the recommended PowerEx 2700s and the stock Immedion 2400s recommend charging at .5C (50% of battery Capacity) and NEVER below .33C
2400 mAh should charge at 1200 mAh
2700 mAh should charge at 1400 mAh

Even when charging the lowest capacity battery shipped with the LB, the BC-700 (I call it BC for Before Christ - it is so ancient) can only get up to .29C This not recommended by Maha and is in fact extremely dangerous.

The BC-700 is cheap for a reason - buyer beware. Use the money you will save buying the BC-700 instead of a real charger like the Maha C9000 to buy extra house insurance for the fire that you will eventually have.

DeepFried,

Noonan

It seems like I have to inhale for more then 10 seconds.. Even with the PA.

I'm starting to wonder if my MFLB runs a little cool.

Noonan,

Noonan

I think my MFLB has been running a little cool. I don't know if it has been running cool forever or just since I have started only using it with the power adapter. I have been vaping at full power, and can't combust. Not that I want it to combust- just surprised bc I accidentally had a combustion the first day- but no longer can do that.

Also on the first few days of use, the power adapter ran so hot that at around 90% I had trouble keeping up with the vape and now like I said I have to run it at 100% to get a hard hit.

Will MF replace a LB for running cool?

Noonan,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Noonan said:

Try this. I posted it a few pages back in the MF thread ...

Yesterday I noticed that on full power the LB light wasn't as bright as it used to be. It def worked, but was slacking off. So then I noticed that the housing around the activate button had ever so slighly come loose. Like the + end, there are 2 tiny raised dots on the disks surrounding the button. I turned it about a half a turn or so and tightened up. BOOM!!! I think the light is brighter than originally and it hits harder than ever!!!
The connection must have somewhat loosened up and a quick tighten (and now I know to keep and eye on it) was the trick. Seriously, it hits like a freight train again

JDSupreme,

lwien

DeepFried said:
Geez lwein, every time I read this thread you are pimping that piece of shit BC-700 again. I can not keep up with you. I have posted this information before IMO based on facts the BC-700 is a crippled charger that should not be used on any batteries that come with the LB let alone higher mAh batteries like PowerEx 2700s.

As you know Maha the makers of both the recommended PowerEx 2700s and the stock Immedion 2400s recommend charging at .5C (50% of battery Capacity) and NEVER below .33C
2400 mAh should charge at 1200 mAh
2700 mAh should charge at 1400 mAh

Even when charging the lowest capacity battery shipped with the LB, the BC-700 (I call it BC for Before Christ - it is so ancient) can only get up to .29C This not recommended by Maha and is in fact extremely dangerous.

The BC-700 is cheap for a reason - buyer beware. Use the money you will save buying the BC-700 instead of a real charger like the Maha C9000 to buy extra house insurance for the fire that you will eventually have.

I know what MAHA recommends on their chargers but that is not necessarily a universal recommendation.

You say, "Even when charging the lowest capacity battery shipped with the LB, the BC-700 (I call it BC for Before Christ - it is so ancient) can only get up to .29C This not recommended by Maha and is in fact extremely dangerous."

And yet, the Sanyo chargers that come pre-packed with Eneloops only charge their batteries at .15c, and I sure haven't heard of ANY dangerous situations happening with their chargers.

A low charge "can" cause a missed termination, and this HAS caused issues with the C-9000 as well as other chargers. The C9000 had meltdown issues and they addressed those issues with a change in their algorithms as well as recommending a higher charge that would allow their charger to more easily detect voltage changes. LaCrosse also made a change to address their meltdown issues and they found that the issue was with their AC adapter putting out more voltage than it should. Since Maha and LaCrosse has addressed these issues, the meltdowns have been drastically reduced.

Again, Sanyo charges their batts at .15c and there have been no reported issues, so making a blanket statement that charging at .29c is extremely dangerous is not an accurate statement.

The missed termination issue that posses a danger really crops up when trying to charge old batteries and if one is doing that, it is highly recommended that you do two things, REGARDLESS of what charger you use. Make sure that your charger is charging on a non-flammable surface, and..........don't leave your charger unattended. Depending on charge rate, you know approx. how long a charge should take, so periodically check those batts to make sure that they're not getting too warm and not being charged for hours longer than they should.

lwien,

chloe

that is cool to know...thanks for putting in the effort to have that there...didn't know it was open to anyone logging in...what a great community!

pakalolo said:
chloe said:
I'm curious...do some of these answers get put on the wiki or anything? Quite a few of MF posts I would love to read over from time to time esp. the ones where they mind fuck you like that...

i knew i got better and more efficient hits from the box vs the warez...and its nice to get a scientific explanation...

:peace:

Yes. some of them do. I started the Vaporpedia MFLB entry by first listing all magicflight's answers and then editing them. Like you, I enjoy re-reading his posts occasionally because I learn something every time. At this point about two-thirds of the entry is pretty much written by magicflight.

I add any new answers or explanations that I believe should be included, but I think the entry is already a bit overwhelming so I try to use discretion. As I just said a few pages back, anyone can log in and add or change the entry; I'm not possessive about it. Sometimes I miss things or forget to add something, so suggestions or criticisms are always welcome.

chloe,

Nosferatu

But I think my MFLB or battteries are weak now...because it would be hard to even burn the herb with mine, and takes forever to finish up the bowl. Somethings not getting as hot I'm thinking...

Nosferatu,

spentskeeper

JDSupreme said:
spentskeeper said:
I'm wondering if the MFLD taste better with the PA?

Overall, I think the taste is better. Its directly related to being able to adjust temp. The control allows you to dial in on the perfect flavor (just like a vari-volt ecigs, which I also have an addiction to)

Im assuming we're talking about the Magic Flight Launch Duck right? :)

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/JeffDireng/duckcopy.jpg

hahaha I love photoshop :) see what the PA does to you ^^^^^^^^^^

MFLD was a typo that i missed but now I got the duck thing...very funny when launched

spentskeeper,

LaunchBox420

Quinton
hey everone i got a quick question. I searched a lot of threads but didnt find much. I lost my Stem the other day :(

So is there anything i can use for a replacement stem that is safe?

LaunchBox420,

Noonan

JDSupreme said:
Noonan said:

Yesterday I noticed that on full power the LB light wasn't as bright as it used to be. It def worked, but was slacking off. So then I noticed that the housing around the activate button had ever so slighly come loose. Like the + end, there are 2 tiny raised dots on the disks surrounding the button. I turned it about a half a turn or so and tightened up. BOOM!!! I think the light is brighter than originally and it hits harder than ever!!!
The connection must have somewhat loosened up and a quick tighten (and now I know to keep and eye on it) was the trick. Seriously, it hits like a freight train again

Lmao.... I'm in awe. I fixed it! MFLB w/ PA hits like a friggen champ once again!

I actually over tightened it and the button couldn't pop out after being pushed in. Very simple to fix.

Thanks for the tip!!

Noonan,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Noonan said:
JDSupreme said:
Noonan said:

Lmao.... I'm in awe. I fixed it! MFLB w/ PA hits like a friggen champ once again!

I actually over tightened it and the button couldn't pop out after being pushed in. Very simple to fix.

Thanks for the tip!!

Sweeeet glad I could help!!

JDSupreme,

fudpucker

What do you guys use to clean the plastic sliding cover? I have used isopropanol, but when I do the cover develops a crack. I can still use it, but I can't afford to have it crack any further!

I was an early adopter of the MFLB, mine is old enough it doesn't have a light on it, which would be very nice! Also, the power adapter sounds pretty awesome, would sure like to purchase one.

We have a nice black Buddha, but sometimes my wife and I look at that big, pretty black Buddha and say, ya know, how about we just use the little Launch Box? I think my wife actually prefers the LB! ;)

Cheers to all

fudpucker,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
fudpucker said:
What do you guys use to clean the plastic sliding cover? I have used isopropanol, but when I do the cover develops a crack. I can still use it, but I can't afford to have it crack any further!

Iso 91% on a q-tip then wipe dry with napkin. Looks like the day I got it.

For stems I just use a twisted up napkin, no iso

JDSupreme,

Noonan

Do you guys leave your PA plugged in? I leave it plugged in when I am home and using it.. But if I'm going to sleep or leaving the house and not bringing it- I unplug it. I worry about it sometimes- no reason why.

Noonan,
Top Bottom