• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I heard back, 25% is the best they will do. I'm not sure if they are offering me the discount plus the replacement or the discount instead of the replacement.

Really sorry to hear that......

Either way I'd have to say I'm disappointed in MF unless they're under the impression the units are being abused. If I had 3 units that failed like that and I was offered another of the same type I'd probably tell them to save the postage for someone who is interested in still being a customer.

Forgot to ask ... did you buy directly from MF? If not I'd hit up the retailer too.

Mysterion999

The first one I got had a bad connection at the dummy battery from day one. I was happy to not need the batteries as I use it many times a day, so I lived with it. I ran out of anything to vape come winter and when I went to fire it up this spring it didn't work. I explained this to MF and even though it was way past warranty, they offered to cover it as it had this problem from day one. The second and third one's were babied as far as the connection, in fact I even made a brace out of styrene tube to hold the wire from moving which worked great on the last one. that one did in the middle of a hit.

I heard back from MF, they are offering me the replacement of the 2.1 PLUS the 25% off on the 3.0.

Can someone tell me why my pics keep disappearing? I replaced them once and now I see they are gone again.

Last edited:

OF

Can someone tell me why my pics keep disappearing? I replaced them once and now I see they are gone again.

A change in Imjur (you're using them, right?). Just happened to me. Folks say to use a different service, or hit 'reply' and the photos will appear to be edited (no need to reply), and a few other 'work arounds' are needed to get it into your local cache?

OF

Mysterion999

I was able to edit it and replace the pics, but then they disappeared again.

For those interested, I just heard back from MF, the 3.0 Power adapter has a 90 day warranty. I was tempted to buy one, but the lowest shipping cost is over $20. I think that's a bit steep for such a small package. Right now with the history of these, I'm not spending another 80 some dollars for a new product that might still be full of bugs.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
I was able to edit it and replace the pics, but then they disappeared again.

For those interested, I just heard back from MF, the 3.0 Power adapter has a 90 day warranty. I was tempted to buy one, but the lowest shipping cost is over $20. I think that's a bit steep for such a small package. Right now with the history of these, I'm not spending another 80 some dollars for a new product that might still be full of bugs.

Wow...they wouldn't even spare you the shipping? So you're going to take them up on sending you the 2.1 version for free?

His_Highness,

Mysterion999

Wow...they wouldn't even spare you the shipping? So you're going to take them up on sending you the 2.1 version for free?
Yes, I'll keep taking them as long as i have nothing other to do than tell them it broke and send a pic of the old one with the ends cut off.

I didn't ask about the shipping, I just looked up the cost if bought straight from them.

fernand

Just a word of praise. The most practical and efficient dry flower micro-dosing vape. After using all the different store-bought and home-made vaporizers, I'm back to the MFLB for sampling strains, and for that little touch-up. Minute quantities yield a lot of fine vapor, and being able to observe the material's progress is priceless. This little device is perfect, once you learn how to pulse the battery for temp control.

Beginners take note: don't be in a hurry, don't be greedy. Keep pulsing that battery to maintain a lower temperature and keep the herb from toasting too fast. That wispy low temp vapor is the tastiest and most wakey. Save the hotter full terpene+ blast for the evening.

Mysterion999

His problem has nothing to do with the imgur problem. He's trying to post a url from his amazon cloud instead of a direct link. Looks like this: https://cnt-05.content-na.drive.amazonaws.com/cdproxy/templink/kyWV_KuLaA9yUKQLFXNqNpgTGFs3giF0xmNAM7xGNvopX92IB?viewBox=804,603

:peace:
That is exactly what I did.Let's see if this works.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/SRWG4hbkfnfEryfSOui8wLC5rTVPEQJyMBMgMZ8osB7

I guess I'm doing something wrong. If I copy the link and paste it into the window that pops up when you click the image icon, all I get is
SRWG4hbkfnfEryfSOui8wLC5rTVPEQJyMBMgMZ8osB7

Mysterion999,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
That is exactly what I did.Let's see if this works.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/SRWG4hbkfnfEryfSOui8wLC5rTVPEQJyMBMgMZ8osB7

I guess I'm doing something wrong. If I copy the link and paste it into the window that pops up when you click the image icon, all I get is
SRWG4hbkfnfEryfSOui8wLC5rTVPEQJyMBMgMZ8osB7
The insert image icon only works with direct images. I don't believe Amazon allows for access to direct images, so you need to click the "download" button on the top right of the screen, save the image to your pc and then upload it to an image hosting site (that doesn't suck). When you do that, you'll get a direct image link (typically ends with .jpg or .png) and you can paste that link into the dialog box that comes up when you use the insert image icon on FC.

This is the result:
HdHLd7eC_o.jpg

:peace:

fernand

Well, the 3.0 PA in the photo on their site sure looks funky. Maybe that's a prototype. Or they like that rustic wood-shop look. But I wouldn't distrust it a priori. The circuit boardlets you can get from China these days are pretty decent. Because the nicotine vapers that came before us are into running their 0.1 ohm coils at multi-amp currents for that MONSTER CLOUD effect, it's been done, quite well. I'd think Magic Flight can find cheap parts that work.

The regulators nowadays aren't the old analog dissipators. As long as there's some sort of (even minimal) heat sink, and I suspect that metal plate has that very function, today's tiny circuits are capable of efficient and reliable operation. I see several 95%+ efficient 5 Amp adjustable DC-DC convertor boards on e-bay for ~ $2.50. That efficiency means less heat that's cooking the electronics and causing failure.

And look at it this way. If I can run my refrigerator-sized Altec A7 speakers, loud enough to shake the house, from an amplifier the size of a cigarette pack, and it's been on for a couple of years, I think our Chinese friends can master a simple variable voltage Power Adapter board.

I just wish Magic Flight didn't charge quite so much.

Last edited:
fernand,
Reactions: OF

OF

I see several 95%+ efficient 5 Amp adjustable DC-DC convertor boards on e-bay for ~ $2.50. That efficiency means less heat that's cooking the electronics and causing failure.

True enough, but we need over 15 Amps......and at a very unusually smell Voltage 'at the rails' in the LB, something on the order of .75 Volts IIRC? Not a trivial thing, most 'distributed regulators' aren't up to the job due to the low voltage (none I could find anyway) even if you find models that can be 'paralleled up' (using say four five Amp units at once) to address the current issue.

Not a common thing to do, your potential customers would be very limited I suspect?

OF

Dutch-Mic

Just a word of praise. The most practical and efficient dry flower micro-dosing vape. After using all the different store-bought and home-made vaporizers, I'm back to the MFLB for sampling strains, and for that little touch-up. Minute quantities yield a lot of fine vapor, and being able to observe the material's progress is priceless. This little device is perfect, once you learn how to pulse the battery for temp control.

Beginners take note: don't be in a hurry, don't be greedy. Keep pulsing that battery to maintain a lower temperature and keep the herb from toasting too fast. That wispy low temp vapor is the tastiest and most wakey. Save the hotter full terpene+ blast for the evening.

I wholeheartedly agree with your post! Tastewise the MFLB can compete with my Vapcaps, Vaponic and Dreamwood Dobby (Trillhouse Lilly inspired butane convection vaporizer), especially if I compare all those vapes when the herbs are getting a bit browner. A nice ritualistic vape (hit it, shake, tap, repeat) for quick and tasty hits.

Last edited:

OF

I'm wiring some gear today, I was wondering what that smell was.

Hey, it passed spell check.......

Another point I should have made is this very requirement (unusually small voltages at very high currents) is the reason battery selection for MFLB is such a big deal, AA NiMNs aren't up to the job typically. Getting the internal resistance down low enough generally 'eats up capacity' so makers avoid it.

OF

mplx

2lt3mlh.jpg

I guess this is the beginning of my LB`s end? :cry: Last weeks i noticed that the box lost more and more power, still producing some vapor but not that much like it used to do. And now i see why:\ I guess i can send in a request for a replacement, in a situation like this?

Time to unpack my brand new -backup walnut box :drool: that i bought when it was on sale

fernand

@mplx , sorry for your loss. @mflb, thank you for your service.

@OF, I didn't know it was 15 amps. Since the voltage range is narrow, i.e. it's unlike the demands placed on typical buck-boost DC/DC with a huge range, I'm pretty sure we can dig up some usable circuits. And if not, what are ICs and circuit designers for? Or are all the guys with pocket protectors, who could actually design stuff, retired, retarded and counting their socks in assisted living? But I was just reading about some new high power chips that are all plastic.

Considering the Manhattan Project, and after working with motor controls for people-carriers, where the 0-500 volt 1000 Amp feed cabling was the size of your forearm, I've come to believe that we can manage to reliably heat up a 200 mg pinch of flowers to 200 deg C ;-)

I just bought a pair of the new MF gold batteries at a smoke shop. I'm cool using the MFLB with batteries. Super handy. And I was really impressed with the packaging. Cardboard and a biodegradable cellophane bag. This package isn't going to put plastic in my tuna. Sandwich. Why are most companies not even trying, even adding more indestructible plastic ? [holding back on a rant...]

Last edited:

OF

@OF, I didn't know it was 15 amps. Since the voltage range is narrow, i.e. it's unlike the demands placed on typical buck-boost DC/DC with a huge range, I'm pretty sure we can dig up some usable circuits.

Neither did I until someone at MF tolt us so. Afterwards it makes sense (of course). Since the rails are only about 3/4 of a Volt when running (you can read it on the stub ends of the OG units) you need lotsa Amps to make the Watts needed to heat that much stuff hot enough.

High peak currents on the output can drive you nuts with internal resistances, inductor and diode problems. Paralleling units might be the call?

I gave some thoughts to feeding High Frequency AC (square waves) to it with a transformer and class C stage. Feed that with a normal (switching) converter running in constant power mode? You could get a 'ballpark' step down in voltage and down in current with turns ratio?

In the end I opted to use the factory PA and never looked back. A 12 Volt battery pack in your coat pocket and the PA is a treat in the outdoors.

OF

mplx

Seems like my box was already broken for months. I could not get the good hits anymore. Yesterday i took one big hit from the brand new backup LB, trough a bubbler. Ooh :haw::bowdown::tup: Like i had no cannabis for months, big cloud at lower temp and boom:razz: I was almost forgotten how good the LB could be, if it works well.

OF

I was almost forgotten how good the LB could be, if it works well.

One of the great strengths of the deceptively simple Box: It knows how to deliver if you use it 'right'. It's all up to the user, unlike so many vapes. Even mortally wounded, like your other one, it still delivers useful (if not optimum) vapor. A tough contender for sure.

Slow degradation, like you had, is deceptive. Like the 'frog in the pot of water' you lose track of things, especially over time with other vapes involved. Batteries 'wearing out' are also like this. A new set can 'give new life' to an old box. Your expectations shift without your realizing it. Fortunately, clever as the design is, the backup LB wasn't fooled even a little bit.

Don't sell it short, it's a great vape for sure. Highly recommended.

Congratulations.

If the walwart for the PA has an output of 2 amps, how does it power something that needs 15?

Good question. It uses a 'switching converter' (like in your computer, cell phone, etc) where it converts temporarily the energy to magnetism then back again?

The key is in Watts (the measure of power as opposed to pressure (voltage) or flow rate (current). Volts times Amps. So it's 24 Watts in (2 x 12) and 'about 15, maybe a bit more' Watts out. There are some losses in getting that 15 Amps at .75 Volts to the screen. The same thing is what's happening with 110/220. When you need lots of work (Power), like for a dryer say, higher voltage gives twice the power at the same current (no need for bigger wires). The same reason cars went from 6 Volts to 12, lower current through smaller wires, doing the same job. A bit less copper per car, a bit more profit times a lot of cars....

This 'trick' isn't free, it costs 10% or so (it runs warm/hot.....heat costs power.....). FYI 'old school' transformers (like still used on power poles to deliver 8 or 12,000 Volts to the neighborhood before 'stepping down' to 110/220 for local distribution) are about 93% or so efficient (they too run hot, explaining the cooling fins and pipes you often see). About half of that is 'copper losses' (resistance in the wire in the transformer) and half 'iron losses' (magnetic 'resistance' in the iron core to having the polarity swapped 50 or 60 times a second) in a well designed unit.

Switching converters use much higher frequencies so tiny magnetic cores can be used for higher efficiency. Such converters were an essential development in the Space Program. Since every pound of battery takes something close to 100 pounds of fuel and vehicle to deliver, most efficient use was essential to 'getting there, and back'. Even small loads like small fans on Apollo were tweaked and retweaked, tested, debated, redesigned and so on. Many useful everyday technologies we enjoy today came from those efforts.

Good question. It's not really done by magic......although it might seem so sometimes.

Regards to all.

OF

Top Bottom