OF

If the fabric gets torn, there's that much less electrical resistance = less heat

No, that's not how electricity works. Broken strands mean less current paths, less total current for the same voltage is higher resistance. A fairly minor effect for a few strands of many.

Less resistance is more current and therefore power. Resistance means the same in Electricity as English, more resistance means less activity not the other way around. Short circuits (maximum power) are zero ohms (lowest possible resistance).

In practice, however, small tears are trivial. Yes, you loose the path right there, but the strands going the other way bridge the gap by shunting current to either side of the tears. Total current drops a very small amount, but 'down in the trench', where it counts, all strands are carrying current, all heat very close to normally.

Large tears make the average path longer (raising total resistance, lowering current and therefore power), eventually long enough to matter. The only real problem with tears is mechanical when they are small.

OF

OF,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I appreciate the clarification! Having said that, I would take issue with the triviality of it, as I've returned two units with tears and the vaping capacity went down very noticeably with batteries. At the end, I'd estimate the tears were maybe 1/4 of the way down one rod. !/4 the length, that is. That's more than the few threads, however. A few threads wouldn't be noticeable, I agree.

When the new LBs arrived, the difference was really quite dramatic, confirming the loss of capacity

willieR,
Just submitted my warranty! All I can do now is wait patiently...until they look at it Monday...and then wait even more patiently...

VapingLobster,

OF

At the end, I'd estimate the tears were maybe 1/4 of the way down one rod. !/4 the length, that is. That's more than the few threads, however. A few threads wouldn't be noticeable, I agree.

When the new LBs arrived, the difference was really quite dramatic, confirming the loss of capacity

Cool. I agree, 1/4 of it's not a small tear. A few strands is, and I seriously doubt anyone could find that event by careful measurements, let alone performance.

At the 25% level I've no doubt it was suffering, but IMO more important it'd been so mechanically compromised it would have rapidly degraded further if used. More so since the strands closest the break with carry more of the load than the others, further weakening them in the critical spot. Once a tear starts it never gets better than that. The best we can hope to do it check the problem. Small enough you can probably live with, past a certain point it's going to spread.

OF

I have heard about that.

Unfortunately my friends and family say I'm famous for being impatient...

Understood. Here's a great chance to work on that?

IMO it's time to break out the standby vape for a few days......

OF

mod note: Back-to-back posts, merged. Please use the edit button, thanks.

OF,
Reactions: willieR

Vaporgin.

Mt.BakerVaper
I can't belive I'm the first one to inform this thread about this but a couple of the exotic wood launch box's have been released for sale on their website (Cherry&Walnut)! Looks like you can only buy the full kit and its +$10 for the cherry and +$20 for the walnut. I want a dark box so badly now that its a possibility. Might just have to never renew my lifetime warranty on my current box when it kicks the bucket and get a walnut one.
410-kitwal--2.jpg
410-kitwal--1.jpg

This spectrum of woods is awesome!
410-kitwal--3.jpg

(edit: forgot sales link added mini grinder pic)

https://sales.magic-flight.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=25&pg=1

There is also a new black mini grinder with a logo that looks as sleek as silk
502-nanoblk.jpg

vapirtoo

Damn! Those darker boxes look so trick. I want, I want,
even the new grinder is hottt! :love:
As much as I may want, my pocket book is empty
and all of my Magic Flight things are doing just great
sooo, I guess I will just be doing some window shopping.

I must say that all of this milky vapor thing is missing the
fact( opinion ) that invisible, thin vapor will medicate just as completely
as these adolescent milky clouds.
Are we vaping or pseudo-combusting? :2c:

vapirtoo,

skippy

I appreciate the clarification! Having said that, I would take issue with the triviality of it, as I've returned two units with tears and the vaping capacity went down very noticeably with batteries. At the end, I'd estimate the tears were maybe 1/4 of the way down one rod. !/4 the length, that is. That's more than the few threads, however. A few threads wouldn't be noticeable, I agree.

Yea I've had the same thing happen and when I got the replacement box I couldn't believe how much better it was after putting up with a torn box for a couple of months.

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
So after another day of trying to adjust that ring. No luck with the PA, in fact worse. I'm a little frustrated. If ground is making a solid contact, anywhere on the body (ground) of the PA, a solid ground connection, should be established. Its a solid, milled piece of steel. As I've always said and it sounds pretty simplistic and dumbed down, but its the truth. "Ground is ground". Clean metal on metal contact, should conduct ground, without issue. 1mm or 1" of contact.

I could understand if there is enough wiggle to either break the ground, or break the circuit with the positive end. But, that's not the case. When I slide in the PA, I can feel the metal on metal contact to ground and it seats firmly and all the way into the channel. However, while it won't wiggle. It will obviously still turn. Turning the PA in the channel most definitely effects the visible indicators (light and vapor). However, this doesn't compute with me, as I said... ground is ground. There isn't any corrosion to interfere with contact. So I'm stumped. I don't understand how the batteries can work flawless and the PA, is a waste at this point.

I can't say I'm too heartbroken. With enough batteries, its not a problem. Getting (4) for $14 ain't a problem. And quite honestly, both of the two boxes I had to warranty, broke because of the PA. They were both plugged into it, when the transformer fell and dragged both boxes with them, snapping the lids. I'm going old school and not really regretting it. One of the reasons I got the MFLB was to be free of cords. Once you figure out your draw with water filtration and your individual pieces, vaping with the batteries, is quite efficient.

Final observation. My first box, was one of the early click-locks. In fact, when I posted a picture on here a lot of you all were, "wtf is that?". The build of that box, felt a lot different/better from my last two. That first box, the metal used for the ring/ground conductor, seemed a higher grade metal. This new "shiny" stuff, just looks like a cheaper grade to me.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: Vicki

big_dave

Quick question,
Has anyone else had issues with their charger?
The battery charger that came with my LB tried to charge the batteries once and hasn't done anything since. Its not getting hot but does smell of electric heat.
Has anyone had a replacement issued? i bought my LB from amazon because i ordered it friday and wanted it before the bank holiday, but it wasnt cheap so i'm assuming it is the real deal, Will this make a difference getting a replacement charger issued?
thanks for any help,
Dave

big_dave,

OF

Ha! Another classic video from VTV!

Yup, in a better world there'd be an Academy Award class for Vape Videos. Question is, who should present it?

Prolly have to disqualify Vitolo at some point to keep it competitive I think.....

OF

OF,
Reactions: Vitolo

Vitolo

Vaporist
Yup, in a better world there'd be an Academy Award class for Vape Videos. Question is, who should present it?

Prolly have to disqualify Vitolo at some point to keep it competitive I think.....

OF
There is only one Master of Ceremonies, with a sharp enough tongue, but gentle enough spirit, to pull the passing of any award I may get.. in the form of a "Roast"
I will accept this award, only from you or your personal designee, OF~

The metal fabric tearing is a real weakness with this unit. I've gone through a few, but of course MF is very good about replacements. If the fabric gets torn, there's that much less electrical resistance = less heat
I'm surprised people are having issues. I'm still on my first MFLB after nearly two years.

OF

There is only one Master of Ceremonies, with a sharp enough tongue, but gentle enough spirit, to pull the passing of any award I may get.. in the form of a "Roast"
I will accept this award, only from you or your personal designee, OF~

So, let me see it I have this straight. We get to finally meet, do a few trial sessions at rehearsals, hang out with a bunch of overdressed hot women and be the center of attention? Somebody else pays the bills and we don't have to use our real names?

OK, I guess we could do that if you think it's important......

OF

Top Bottom