The JetDryV (Wood Oven Module) by REFC Labs LLC

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
Does wood type make a big difference on flavor? I have the purpleheart and the taste and smell is phenomenal. Wondering how much I'm missing by not trying the maple or something.
Glad you asked! Yes! Wood type does play a role in flavor. The wood flavor itself will be most noticeable at the front and back of the pull on a new oven. A fresh, unseasoned oven will have the most woody flavor, which will dissipate over time as the oven seasons. Sometimes this completely goes away, sometimes it does not. Some woods are sought after specifically for their aroma. Others, for their lack of (mild).
Any plans to do a sticky brick runt type of deal with this design? Thatd be pretty nice
Honestly, no. I didn't plan to add more to the oven itself. The whole idea of the oven module is to fit it to your use case with as low a mass/volume as possible. If you wanted a more dry-herb vape experience, you can always throw it on a j-hook, or even pick up a SaxDryV MPA (the dry MP adapter I offer).

Moving from a cylinder to a block means I'd need to completely retool my machinery and completely re-design my manufacturing process. I spent an unbelievable amount of time on the tooling and manufacturing process to make this product as accurately as I do. Most tolerances on the JetDryV are +1 .1mm . At this time I'm going to stick with just the module and see where that takes me. I have other plans in the pipeline (dadjoke), but I feel the JDV is pretty well-tweaked at this time. Any enhancements will likely be cosmetic or ease-of-use. Nearly every bit of waste has been trimmed away.

If you are looking for a full wood portable with similar oven enhancements - Both the Nova by Doug's and the product line from O'Connell's offer similar oven enhancements. I highly recommend either - they are well designed and made by talented woodworkers with passion. I have nothing but good things to say about the ovens and their respective makers.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Glad you asked! Yes! Wood type does play a role in flavor. The wood flavor itself will be most noticeable at the front and back of the pull on a new oven. A fresh, unseasoned oven will have the most woody flavor, which will dissipate over time as the oven seasons. Sometimes this completely goes away, sometimes it does not. Some woods are sought after specifically for their aroma. Others, for their lack of (mild).

Honestly, no. I didn't plan to add more to the oven itself. The whole idea of the oven module is to fit it to your use case with as low a mass/volume as possible. If you wanted a more dry-herb vape experience, you can always throw it on a j-hook, or even pick up a SaxDryV MPA (the dry MP adapter I offer).

Moving from a cylinder to a block means I'd need to completely retool my machinery and completely re-design my manufacturing process. I spent an unbelievable amount of time on the tooling and manufacturing process to make this product as accurately as I do. Most tolerances on the JetDryV are +1 .1mm . At this time I'm going to stick with just the module and see where that takes me. I have other plans in the pipeline (dadjoke), but I feel the JDV is pretty well-tweaked at this time. Any enhancements will likely be cosmetic or ease-of-use. Nearly every bit of waste has been trimmed away.

If you are looking for a full wood portable with similar oven enhancements - Both the Nova by Doug's and the product line from O'Connell's offer similar oven enhancements. I highly recommend either - they are well designed and made by talented woodworkers with passion. I have nothing but good things to say about the ovens and their respective makers.
That’s wild. Did you just tune it till it worked really well?

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
That’s wild. Did you just tune it till it worked really well?
To some degree, yes. Some of the angles and profile shapes were chosen ahead of time, however some things like oven depth and size were manipulated to effect.

The exterior shape is a function of the interior. It's what's left over when I took away everything I didn't really need :)

rvarick

I received a JetDryV last week and wanted to share a few initial thoughts, as well as a couple add-on companions I'm really liking for it. First off, the JetDryV is AMAZING! I've used a handful of other direct-draw butane devices, including the Doug's Woodery Nova, and the SBL Runt and Junior. I LOVE my Nova, but the consistency and ease-of-use with the JetDryV is pretty unbelievable. I was getting massive, tasty hits right out of the box, with minimal learning curve, and very consistent extraction (no charring whatsoever). Variables which seem important in other butane vapes - such as torch position, pack, etc., also seem almost insignificant in the JetDryV. I'm really impressed with the device to say the least. The whole package is really well thought out and designed. It also looks amazing. The Canary wood I picked looks great, and Red was kind enough to throw in a baked noodle yellow intake as a freebie, which only adds to the character of this device. I've attached a pic below of the JetDryV itself:

ACCB6CEA-A00C-46D7-93F0-64F07CC95D07.jpeg
I wanted to find a case I could use for it, and was happy to realize that an old Arizer Air II case I had laying around actually works quite well. I've attached a pic below of this. I like how this protects the wood, while allowing the intake to stick out - for those times it might still be a bit warm.

775F25F5-5A51-40A3-B2C1-73DC349CD984.jpeg
I also found a kind of crazy J-Hook option to use with it that works quite well. While I have an O'Connell Woodworks Inception J-Hook on the way, I threw together another J-Hook of sorts - using the "Ultimate Cooling J-Hook" from DDave + an adapter I found on Amazon. I've also attached a pic below of this setup. The Amazon adapter worked really well to correct the odd angle being used on the DDave J-Hook. This setup was giving me massive cool hits. I think the additional restriction created by the vapor cooler attachment helps to really dial in an optimal speed for the device.

60E54912-CBCD-4B68-A148-7F355B8E4A5F.jpeg

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Will there be an 18mm option?
Thanks for asking! The first gen1 was actually 18mm to make sure throughput wasn't an issue. I reduced this to 14mm in gen2 since most of the folks in the batch with gen2 ovens wanted 14mm. I didn't have a single person want an 18mm. 14mm is far more common in the vape world, so that's what I kept. It doesn't hinder performance in any way.

Additionally, I wanted the option of using it on 14mm out of the box, as well as 18mm rig with a 14/18 reducer. Most larger, high throughput "combustion" rigs are 18mm but most vapes tend to be 14mm. Keeping 14mm native makes it easier to use with a reducer adapter on an 18mm, than vice versa. I have a few 18mm native vapes and they're clunky to use with an adapter on most of my rigs.

The 18mm blanks I have access to are a different stock diameter so using them would mean setting up a new wood design and tooling. While possible, it's more work than just using a glass adapter. Every one of my 18mm rigs is fitted with an adapter and keck, so they can be used with any size. I actually sell glassware on my site in this manner. It's a few bucks more, but it comes with the adapter and the keck for less than retail - It just makes the piece that much more useful in the long run and I'm all about maximizing utility.

So, probably not , for design, cost, and demand reasons.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I'm working on a batch now. This past 2 months has been absolutely insane, with gearing up for the Dynavap '21 launch, expanding my products, brands, and services, as well as... new product development ;) I appreciate everyone's patience while I try to make sure everyone gets taken care of. Lots of stuff to juggle!

Got some fun stuff brewing (Unrelated to the JDV, but interesting nonetheless... expect some info within the next month or two!)

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
This guy is like the mad scientist of vapes right now can't wait to see what he cooks up :bowdown: literally spent every last $$$ I have on my JDV and don't regret it one bit!
Thank you for the kind words! I must keep my lips sealed for now, but if you pay attention to my (and other's!!!) social media accounts, we'll be dropping hints along the way that may shed some light on the mystery ;)

DingoGlittering

Thank you for the kind words! I must keep my lips sealed for now, but if you pay attention to my (and other's!!!) social media accounts, we'll be dropping hints along the way that may shed some light on the mystery ;)
Oh believe you me, I've been keeping a keen eye on your social media. I am also regretting buying a Woodscents relatively recently... but perhaps that is just wishful thinking?

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Oh believe you me, I've been keeping a keen eye on your social media. I am also regretting buying a Woodscents relatively recently... but perhaps that is just wishful thinking?
The Woodscents is a great log. Don't regret that purchase, you did well :) I have one and love mine.

JEMSKU

Been enjoying this vape since I got it... But I'm a soft flame guy. I love my vapor genies. I decided to take a stab at modifying the JetDryV with the limited number of glass parts I had laying around to see if I could make it work with a bic. To my surprise, the very first thing I tried gave great results:

That is a 14mm slide/bowl inserted in place of the curved glass, no o-ring, wood-on-glass.
Using a soft flame at about an inch and a half, it was very easy to get good thick vapor out of it. The heatup is a touch slower than stock with a torch, but temp control is very easy and I only get a taste of scorching when I let the flame dip through the hole of the slide.

I have to admit I was having a bit of a tough time using a torch (combusted on my very first try, uneven extraction thereafter), but this has been easy and intuitive to use. One of the pictures in the album shows my AVB, it's clear that the extraction was perfectly even - this was vaped down with zero stirring. I always prefered soft flames to torches on my vapor genie and this has increased my love for the JetDryV!

I'm going to try to get a usage video done up sometime in the future.

Last edited:

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Been enjoying this vape since I got it... But I'm a soft flame guy. I love my vapor genies. I decided to take a stab at modifying the JetDryV with the limited number of glass parts I had laying around to see if I could make it work with a bic. To my surprise, the very first thing I tried gave great results:

That is a 14mm slide/bowl inserted in place of the curved glass, no o-ring, wood-on-glass.
Using a soft flame at about an inch and a half, it was very easy to get good thick vapor out of it. The heatup is a touch slower than stock with a torch, but temp control is very easy and I only get a taste of scorching when I let the flame dip through the hole of the slide.

I have to admit I was having a bit of a tough time using a torch (combusted on my very first try, uneven extraction thereafter), but this has been easy and intuitive to use. One of the pictures in the album shows my AVB, it's clear that the extraction was perfectly even - this was vaped down with zero stirring. I always prefered soft flames to torches on my vapor genie and this has increased my love for the JetDryV!

I'm going to try to get a usage video done up sometime in the future.
Wowww! That's totally rad! Way to think outside of the box, dude! I love it. I may have to give it a try just for fun!

Torch driven convection ovens can be tricky, but you're the first person I've seen drive this module with a soft flame, and with such good results!!! I had no idea this was even possible 🤣

JEMSKU

Here we go:

2nd hit from a bowl of Pure Sun CBD 14.1%. The flame control isn't super easy to see here but it's really quite straightforward if you give it a shot, just don't let the flame pass through the slide's hole and scorch risk seems very low.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer

JEMSKU

Here's a new and better shot of the use of a soft flame in the JetDryV intake.

This is actually the first bowl after a combustion incident I had using the soft flame, just from inhaling too slowly. Not as fullproof a method as I thought, obviously! It was an awful experience, let me tell ya, I had a huge bowl packed from the night before that I was trying to finish off, I was going for my last hit so it was already very dark. My first instinct when I saw the smoke was to try to take it all into my lungs and run outside to blow it out, and keep it out of my basement, as I usually do with these incidents.... but the size of the dry gross bowl completely overwhelmed me, I coughed and spat and sputtered and I was leaking from both eyes and both nostrils, my basement filled with smoke, thank god I didn't spray bong water everywhere at least... but it did get up through the bowl into the intake and needed a real good cleaning today.

Fun vape!

Top Bottom