The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

Jojah17

Success! Used pipe screen in place of the wire in the socket. Cut em to shape and press fit into the hole. They're not going anywhere and I don't think they'll effect airflow too much with how I got em in there (decided against barrel shaped and just using them like a tiny pipe screen). Everything else went super smooth and was dead simple. Gonna put it through it's paces tonight!! Thanks to all!!

badbee

@RedEyeFlightControl , or anyone, or there any pros or cons to covering the twisted pigtail with heat shrink? I was wondering about building up a few layers at the connector end and a fat piece over the base of the barrel socket.

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
@RedEyeFlightControl , or anyone, or there any pros or cons to covering the twisted pigtail with heat shrink? I was wondering about building up a few layers at the connector end and a fat piece over the base of the barrel socket.
I don't foresee this being an issue with the barrel connector and that 1-2" of lead attached to it. I would not put any shrink near or inside the glass body.

Of course, this does make the fixture more permanent and you'll likely need a new set of parts to swap the bulb or dc jack, since the connector doesn't fit through the wand.

Funkina

I wouldn’t sand it. There’s a chance the crack may grow. Just hit it with a torch, flame polish it.
I don’t know, maybe sanding it would do the trick. Is it a crack or a chip?
It is a little of both. I posted a picture of it, but I can take a better one if it is hard to see. I put a TRWW wood handle around the end, so I am not sure how to hit it with a torch without cooking the handle. I am assuming you also mean I should disassemble the highlighter, since I probably shouldn’t flame it with the wires hanging out.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
I love how this project is turning us all into makers.

I am going to attempt to attach a 3 1/2 Inch long, 30 mm diameter quartz tube to my TRRW handle, which sits snug at the very top of my heater core, to act as a heat guard. I hope it does not extend past the 18 mm female end by much if at all.

I got a 4-foot length of quartz tubing from wale apparatus, I thought I was ordering a 4-inch length. :wave:

So if I can manage to snap-cut 3 1/2-4 Inch long pieces off of it, and file them down smooth, and jb weld one of them to the the TRRW handle, I think I will have a very functional and attractive heat guard. Which may also guard the heater core from breakage.

Also wanted to drill a fine hole through the rogue handle to feed the white bulb cord through it,but I'd hate to destroy my nice sapelle handle.

Funkina

Would this work as a clamp/holder/handle?
X2y6TVd.jpg
I actually ordered this one as well and I am not a fan. It did not make a satisfactory grip on the HLT and you need to manually spread the gripping part with you fingers just to get it to fit, squeezing the springy part doesn’t spread it wide enough to fit over. You also can’t bend it to work as a stand, the metal started to break and come out of the wood handle when I tried. I am just going with the standard lab clamp that REFC sells.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
Hey. Can someone please explain how to put this together? Also, just a thought, include instructions and tell people ahead of time what tools they’ll need please. This was super disappointing to receive and have no idea how to assemble and also need to go to the store since I don’t have precision screwdrivers

Zuhdj,

Trackrat

Hey. Can someone please explain how to put this together? Also, just a thought, include instructions and tell people ahead of time what tools they’ll need please. This was super disappointing to receive and have no idea how to assemble and also need to go to the store since I don’t have precision screwdrivers
Go back to post #227

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
There are a few tutorial vids on my site that go over assembly , here -

thunderstealer1337

lol, i just got mine today, took 5 secs of googling to find how to vids, not sure but you may want to work on your googlefu

other words, this thing is fukn amazing, this hits hard like enail elev8r

I just wished I got the lab clamp, now im dealing with it sitting on top of a bowl all the time lol, no vapbong or elev8r or lamart devices for rotation for awhile, my first bowl is just like yeaaaaaaaa

fuckkkk yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
lol, i just got mine today, took 5 secs of googling to find how to vids, not sure but you may want to work on your googlefu

other words, this thing is fukn amazing, this hits hard like enail elev8r

I just wished I got the lab clamp, now im dealing with it sitting on top of a bowl all the time lol, no vapbong or elev8r or lamart devices for rotation for awhile, my first bowl is just like yeaaaaaaaa

fuckkkk yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa
I just keep my HLT in a ceramic bowl from my cupboard. Works great for the time being, until I can get a proper log/heat shield for it.

Zuhdj

Charles Mingus
There are a few tutorial vids on my site that go over assembly , here -

Omg thank y’all so much for the help. I know I was bitchy in that initial comment so sorry about that. It was a rough day. I got the thing assembled and it’s fuckin phenomenal. I still think some indication in the package of where to find instructions could be helpful but otherwise, it was a fun building experience and it really rips

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Omg thank y’all so much for the help. I know I was bitchy in that initial comment so sorry about that. It was a rough day. I got the thing assembled and it’s fuckin phenomenal. I still think some indication in the package of where to find instructions could be helpful but otherwise, it was a fun building experience and it really rips
Regardless of demeanor it's important feedback and I value it - I will likely try to get some pictorial diagrams put together for subsequent kits, when I can find the time. Glad you got it together and are enjoying it! We all have bad days, don't sweat it too much.

4everpushingaboulder

Regardless of demeanor it's important feedback and I value it - I will likely try to get some pictorial diagrams put together for subsequent kits, when I can find the time. Glad you got it together and are enjoying it! We all have bad days, don't sweat it too much.
I still owe you my draft. I’ll work on it a bit today.

gordontreeman

Everythings coming up Milhouse!
While I would imagine there is a subset of customers who would prefer ikea style printed instructions, I think even just a card referencing the videos/diagrams/other instructions on your site (edit: like "Instructions @ "tinyurl.com/instructionPageURL") would be sufficient for 90+% of purchasers! Just a way to potentially quickly iterate on this feedback :)

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer

davendk93

Enthusiast/Customizer
I don’t have a kit yet, but I was wondering if it is possible to have the halogen heat source come from below the bow. I was thinking that I could maybe try to set it up like a herbalizer, just without a fan.

davendk93,
Top Bottom