The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

thunderstealer1337

lol im on day 3 and still in its honeymoon phase but damn this may be the new king, and at that pricepoint, i can have 1 for upstairs/downstairs and gift some to friends at that cost

im definitely gonna get a heat shield and another kit or 2 or 3 once the kits are more readily available

Lomein

Hey everyone, first time poster but been lurking for a while. I am inspired by all the setups so far and wanted to share my take. I like the idea of the highlighter as a night light. I built a stand out of a 3/4” candlestick, a green 19/22 joint press fitted into the holder with a couple of o rings. Then for added flair I used some crushed colored glass I have for my patio fireplace in the joint and around it. I modified the ring carrier as a bowl caddy and threw in a poker tool, figured the bottom of the stand would make for a great AVB tray. Turned out great, aesthetic and with the green glass it glows gently, hard for a pic to do it justice.

Another couple notes, I wrapped my cable with kapton tape, thermally speaking it should be safe I hope. Kapton keeps the cable more rigid and off the joint sides. I also added a bicycle grip as a handle, makes it look like a flashlight. I have a longer heat shield joint than what I got in Red’s kit and it fits perfect. I found it difficult to find bicycle/moto handles that are sub 3”, any longer itd get too close to the hot part. Anyway this wont be mine, made it for a friend whos about to have his mind blown. Im opting for a wood shield for my own to have that good ol’ log experience. Truly an amazing device, an experience that rivals all my heavy hitters. Im planning on converting my friends over to vaping with these, cant deny its effectiveness, ease of use and low cost!

Edit: better photo.

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
Anyone know where one can get a heat shield currently?
REFC has been stocking them randomly, so you just have to check the site regularly. They get added as they are available.

TRWW has also been doing the same with the handles that he is making/offering for the HLT.

Other than that, the spec for the heat shields is open source, so you can contact your favorite wood worker & provide them the specs to turn one for you! Or of course, make one yourself if you're able.

I'm sure there are more makers in the community who are working up something, given the roster of who helped develop the HLT.

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
F*ck!!! I saw that TheRogueWaxWorks had one handle left last night, not anymore..none, zilch....and I cancelled my order for the lab testube holder....Anyone else make a handle for these? Looking for a handle not a log?

Last edited:

oldfool

Anyone else make a handle for these?
1mm silicone wrap was my early holder.

IMG-2508.jpg

CrazyDiamond

Spirit of the Dark Horse
I sent a message a few hours ago of when they'd have them back...no reply yet. In the meantime I went ahead and got one of the cheap metal test tube clamps that was in the original kits.

CrazyDiamond,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

badbee

F*ck!!! I saw that TheRogueWaxWorks had one handle left last night, not anymore..none, zilch....and I cancelled my order for the lab testube holder....Anyone else make a handle for these? Looking for a handle not a log?
I have the test tube clamp and recommend others to not bother. It's very cheap and doesn't hold the HLT worth a crap (not criticizing REFC, it was worth a try). I feel much safer handling it in my fingers and haven't burned myself on it yet. I burn myself (only very slightly) on the G43 almost every time I use it.

Lomein

Got my log today, its a beautiful addition! Bigger than expected too, I’m used to my little Woodscents powerhouse. Its sturdy and well made, the tolerances for the O-rings were a bit too good. I spent about 30 minutes finagling them to fit, once they did the rest was butter. In terms of performance it certainly does improve the efficiency of the device. It can operate at a lower voltage, at 7 volts the log gets fairly hot. It also definitely shortens the heatup time. I’d also bet it never needs to have a intermission soak period but I dunno I couldn’t make it past 3 bowls back to back before I about passed out.

:mmmm:

While obsessing over the exposed wires on top I had a decent stoner engineering moment. 3 small strips of double sided PU gel tape and a mason jar lid created a cover for the components. The simple magic is the tape is thick enough to lift the mason jar off the wood a bit. Gives it a seamless appearance while also allowing for all the airflow needed, also is easily removable.

Thanks Red for the excellent craftsmanship and wax! I got my set dripping for the pic:

Top Bottom