The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

Jojah17

My old hamfists got in the way again! What type of wire do I need and where can I buy it to retain the balls in the heater core? I happened to break my heater wire while wrapping it. I was trying to make it as small as possible for the o-ring and it snapped off as I was twisting it. Can I grab something at HD that will suffice?

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
My old hamfists got in the way again! What type of wire do I need and where can I buy it to retain the balls in the heater core? I happened to break my heater wire while wrapping it. I was trying to make it as small as possible for the o-ring and it snapped off as I was twisting it. Can I grab something at HD that will suffice?
It's 26ga SS316L stainless steel heater/resistance wire. Ti or SS are the recommended wire types. Your best bet is finding an Ecig store and asking the guys at the counter for a few inches of 26ga SS heater wire. Most places assist with builds and may have this right on the counter.

Jojah17

It's 26ga SS316L stainless steel heater/resistance wire. Ti or SS are the recommended wire types. Your best bet is finding an Ecig store and asking the guys at the counter for a few inches of 26ga SS heater wire. Most places assist with builds and may have this right on the counter.
Right on. Appreciate it Red. I'm gonna ask for 2 feet. This is why I buy 3 of everything.

elykpeace

exVASted
i was using at 5.9 but wasnt enough oomph. raised it to 7ish and seems about right. but i can crank to 8.3ish and have a one hit from cold within 5 mins maybe less. tried instant cool to hot like 10 and it toasted the bowl.. after being on for only a min or so , powerful heater.

on 8.3 i am able to hit a bit of rosin just wiped on the screen with a mucho slow air intake. im liking it

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
Thanks again @RedEyeFlightControl for getting me back up and running so fast.
Likewise! I am going away for the weekend, but am excited to get back to tinkering with my replacement flame polished heater core, get my sapelle handle on it, and take a vid with a rig my buddy blew for me. Just reached back out to him about a custom 19mm male adapter too. That should be really rad.

The large mesh screen that retains the glass balls, did people install it cup-side-up or flat-side-up?

elykpeace

exVASted
Likewise! I am going away for the weekend, but am excited to get back to tinkering with my replacement flame polished heater core, get my sapelle handle on it, and take a vid with a rig my buddy blew for me. Just reached back out to him about a custom 19mm male adapter too. That should be really rad.

The large mesh screen that retains the glass balls, did people install it cup-side-up or flat-side-up?
I have my balls in the mesh bowl i dont know what the standard etiquette for such matters is/are. but it works :science:

masonjars

I would recommend you install the mesh screen with the “flat-side” of the screen facing out towards the female joint side of the heater core (if that’s what you meant). During installation, I had the female joint side of the heater core face-down on a rolling tray (to catch the balls if any escaped).

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
Per Red’s instructional video, I went cup side up…..towards the balls.

Yes, you want the screen installed as pictured, so it cups the balls. I can't believe I get to type that as official docu 🤣

This also helps keep the proforma screen level. and keeps the rimmed basket screen from interfering with any sharp edges of the proforma screen that may protrude, if installed backwards.

3migo

Is this a...what day is this?
I love the idea of a heat shield but it hides the glass. I kinda like the look of the black glass. I made a “Highlighter holder” that accentuates the look.
It was a bit rushed and I wish I would have taken a bit more time to finish it but it works as intended.

This is awesome! Loving the creative options people are coming up with.

Philabrookla

@philabrookla
So much easier the 2nd time, with the right screen orientation! Thank you Red for the replacement heater core, and @RogueGuy this dope sapelle handle fits this heater core snug AF, the vape gods really have shone upon me today.

Using a decorative beaker with the flavor taster tube as a stand for now, ordered an 18 mm male stand from sneakypete, his seemed to have the widest base.

Ripping through some pink panther CBD in this pic. The rimmed basket screen is one of my favorite aspects. Really can run through some material. Flavor is :love: as usual.

4everpushingaboulder

Well Red, after a good 10 days with the HLT, varying voltages, bubblers, globes, beakers, and a j hook…,flower and concentrate….playing with silicone sleeves, various draw speeds, even took it to a friends house and let he and his wife try it….it’s a fantastic and versatile device and I’m ripped.

I think the jhook at 6.7 is my favorite. But it’s been fun to put it through the paces and it rips on my 12 inch beaker. The flavor is fantastic, the extraction is even and quick.

it does get a little hotter than I like at times of longer idle usage but it’s manageable. I haven’t seen a sleeve or a mod yet that I’m satisfied with but im sure one will be along soon.

4EPAB is cruising at high altitude. Thanks Flight Control.

Phlox

Heat Resistance​

• Up to approximately 400°F (204°C)
trying to acquire proper O rings . concerns about max temp of this area. what are some temps people are getting at that specific spot ?https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=45046

So I’ve read through about 25% of this whole thread. Saw some different thermal imaging, and some options for a heat shield. Got me thinking

My other hobby is smoking …meat…. So I have a variety of toys including this wonderful griddle and pizza stone temp gun.

So at 6.6V being stored on a 19 male adapter, upright for a few hours…highest temp I got on the outside of the heater core was 379.

So I ordered one of these. Good for temps up to 475 for extended times.

Amazon Basics Silicone Hot Skillet Handle Cover Holder, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L7XWM2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_ND499592Z5GC7JB0NAPK

Last edited:

Funkina

I want to start off by saying how great the Highlighter is. So easy to use and so incredibly effective!
So I gently tried putting on the new TRWW handle I ordered and ended up getting a little crack at the end of my glass. Should I replace the whole housing now or should I sand down the wood handle so it fits better and just have it around the cracked part to protect it?

Trackrat

I want to start off by saying how great the Highlighter is. So easy to use and so incredibly effective!
So I gently tried putting on the new TRWW handle I ordered and ended up getting a little crack at the end of my glass. Should I replace the whole housing now or should I sand down the wood handle so it fits better and just have it around the cracked part to protect it?
" B " sand it down

Top Bottom