The HighLighter (Glass-Core Open-Source Halogen Log) Kit Hosted by REFC Labs

RedEyeFlightControl

Inventor,Maker, Pro Nerd, Entgineer, GladScientist
Manufacturer
Thank you to all of those who bought a kit tonight! I *should* have these out the door for tomorrow (if not, tues morning latest). Just double checking things prior to buttoning up the first batch here.

Expect another run soon! Tentatively within a week or so, as long as things go as planned! I appreciate everyone's patience as I ramp this project up organically - it does not go unnoticed.

This batch was 20 kits, which sold out at 9:15pm.

Several build/tutorial videos have been published on YouTube (panics' and my own so far).

The Forward, BOM, and corresponding docu including Heat Shield spec can be found here :
https://refc-labs.com/pages/project-highlighted (Forward)
https://refc-labs.com/pages/project-highlighted-bom-and-datasheet

I don't have a video on bending clamps or installing the core in the shield yet but it should be pretty self explanatory. I'll get one up soon.

Questions / comments / concerns / criticisms /

Hit me up, I'm here to help!

Red

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
I promise it won't be too long. For those that did not receive the release notification be sure to use the "Subscribe" function in the footer of my site. That adds you to email communication which is usually the only pre-release notice that goes out.

RedEyeFlightControl,

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I promise it won't be too long. For those that did not receive the release notification be sure to use the "Subscribe" function in the footer of my site. That adds you to email communication which is usually the only pre-release notice that goes out.

FYI - I just tried. And, after doing the I'm not a Robot pictures thing and hitting submit, it goes to 404 Page Not Found.
I tried with two different email addresses, getting the same result for both.

Ramahs,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
FYI - I just tried. And, after doing the I'm not a Robot pictures thing and hitting submit, it goes to 404 Page Not Found.
I tried with two different email addresses, getting the same result for both.
I'm not sure what's causing that, I just registered one of my other personal addresses without an issue. If you have a customer account, DM me and I'll tag you as subscribed so you can rest easy.

RedEyeFlightControl,

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Hello Mr RedEye,
Congratulations on the sales!
I was looking at your website and saw in the cart that you are not delivering to France but other European countries. Is it definitive or could there be some way to get around it?

I would love to grab a Highlighter!

Thanks a lot
Thanks! Yes - I should be able to add it. I've been adding shipping zones as requested so if you don't see your country, let me know and I'll see what I can do to get it added :)

@RedEyeFlightControl just an FYI to you and @Ramahs I was just able to sign up for the newsletter and create an account with no issues.
Thanks for confirming! Registering usually just dumps you to the last page you were on, and doesn't confirm anything.

I did notice that my POS provider had some technical issues last night which is probably the cause for the 404. I had some trouble loading my sales dashboard around the same time.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Interesting, spent most of my adult life around these kinds of quartz halogen bulbs, in photo and film industry. They can get super HOT, I’ve got the burn scars as proof. While from what I read on the description of this kit, the bulb is low wattage and is not being run at full voltage, so the safety risks are reduced significantly. These type of bulbs are under high pressure, and can and do EXPLODE, thankfully not that often, and far less then the higher Wattage versions. In lighting usage, these small low Wattage bulbs are inside the lighting fixture, and usually just die from shock, as opposed to long life.

I’ve seen both 5000 and 10000 watt bulbs explode like a shotgun. Never seen an injury, as it’s not a daily occurrence to be concerned about, unless a bare bulb is used without some kind of lens or diffuser in front of the bulb, but pros are aware of these safety concerns.

So I would be totally fine using a halogen bulb as described in this kind of usage.

In my experience, these types of bulbs are designed for many days of run time. Like any bulb they don’t like to be physically shocked, but are much more robust then most bulbs other then LED’s. So don’t drop them, and when you notice any dark, off colors in the bulb, it’s starting to fail.

TIP: Never handle a quartz halogen bulb with your BARE fingers, the oil on your fingers, will transfer to the bulb, and over time, this can lead to a bubble expanding on the bulb surface and lead to faster failure. These bulbs are usually wrapped in foam, the last layer, with paper, keep the bulb in the paper when you handle or install it.

RedEyeFlightControl

Manufacturer
Interesting, spent most of my adult life around these kinds of quartz halogen bulbs, in photo and film industry. They can get super HOT, I’ve got the burn scars as proof. While from what I read on the description of this kit, the bulb is low wattage and is not being run at full voltage, so the safety risks are reduced significantly. These type of bulbs are under high pressure, and can and do EXPLODE, thankfully not that often, and far less then the higher Wattage versions. In lighting usage, these small low Wattage bulbs are inside the lighting fixture, and usually just die from shock, as opposed to long life.

I’ve seen both 5000 and 10000 watt bulbs explode like a shotgun. Never seen an injury, as it’s not a daily occurrence to be concerned about, unless a bare bulb is used without some kind of lens or diffuser in front of the bulb, but pros are aware of these safety concerns.

So I would be totally fine using a halogen bulb as described in this kind of usage.

In my experience, these types of bulbs are designed for many days of run time. Like any bulb they don’t like to be physically shocked, but are much more robust then most bulbs other then LED’s. So don’t drop them, and when you notice any dark, off colors in the bulb, it’s starting to fail.

TIP: Never handle a quartz halogen bulb with your BARE fingers, the oil on your fingers, will transfer to the bulb, and over time, this can lead to a bubble expanding on the bulb surface and lead to faster failure. These bulbs are usually wrapped in foam, the last layer, with paper, keep the bulb in the paper when you handle or install it.
Good info here! I wanted to touch on some quirks of halogen and why we chose the bulb and power levels we did.

A typical halogen running at full tilt runs about 900DF average. So either we need to find a creative way to use 900 degrees, or we adjust. So we built off of the standard VVPS that most people seem to have.

We were looking for a target always-on temp range for normal flower/trates vaporization. The heat signature of these types of bulbs are not linear, but are predictable at certain wattages.

Since we don't want to run full tilt, we need to reduce power significantly. However, there is this pesky thing called the halogen danger zone, which exists from about 50 to 80% of the rated wattage of the bulb. In this scenario, the tungsten filament begins to evaporate and condense on the quartz package that is still not hot enough to prevent condensing the tungsten. At full temp, the quartz fails to condense tungsten vapor, and the halogen gases aid in the tungsten redeposition cycle. So when the bulb is running at full tilt, we have a healthy redeposition of tungsten back to the filament. In the danger zone, this fails, and tungsten slowly deposits on the quartz. Over time, this destroys the filament by reducing its mass as well as losing the reparative effects of redepositon.

So, we need a bulb we can run below 50%, to really prolong the lift. Below 50% rated wattage isn't generally enough to significantly impact the filament. At this reduced power level, it also retains a lot more of its initial strength. So we have a lot of advantages here.

We tested 20, 35, and 50w variants. The 50watt excelled in every case. Running at our recommended 6.0-6.8v typically pulled about 2.6-7(ish)A and provided a nice steady 18ish watts on average, at about 40% duty on the bulb.

I have some ridiculous hours of runtime on my daily driver and it still has its first bulb I ever tested in it. I'll post as soon as it goes bad :)

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Good info here! I wanted to touch on some quirks of halogen and why we chose the bulb and power levels we did.

A typical halogen running at full tilt runs about 900DF average. So either we need to find a creative way to use 900 degrees, or we adjust. So we built off of the standard VVPS that most people seem to have.

We were looking for a target always-on temp range for normal flower/trates vaporization. The heat signature of these types of bulbs are not linear, but are predictable at certain wattages.

Since we don't want to run full tilt, we need to reduce power significantly. However, there is this pesky thing called the halogen danger zone, which exists from about 50 to 80% of the rated wattage of the bulb. In this scenario, the tungsten filament begins to evaporate and condense on the quartz package that is still not hot enough to prevent condensing the tungsten. At full temp, the quartz fails to condense tungsten vapor, and the halogen gases aid in the tungsten redeposition cycle. So when the bulb is running at full tilt, we have a healthy redeposition of tungsten back to the filament. In the danger zone, this fails, and tungsten slowly deposits on the quartz. Over time, this destroys the filament by reducing its mass as well as losing the reparative effects of redepositon.

So, we need a bulb we can run below 50%, to really prolong the lift. Below 50% rated wattage isn't generally enough to significantly impact the filament. At this reduced power level, it also retains a lot more of its initial strength. So we have a lot of advantages here.

We tested 20, 35, and 50w variants. The 50watt excelled in every case. Running at our recommended 6.0-6.8v typically pulled about 2.6-7(ish)A and provided a nice steady 18ish watts on average, at about 40% duty on the bulb.

I have some ridiculous hours of runtime on my daily driver and it still has its first bulb I ever tested in it. I'll post as soon as it goes bad :)

You have obviously done your homework. In the lighting biz, bulbs are consumables, so they get dimmed all the time, no regard to the loss of bulb hours (you described how they work very nicely). LED’s have supplanted many tungsten lights, due to cooler temperatures less voltage and long life.

Pictured below, a 20,000 watt tungsten halogen BARE BULB, in a custom made SS Cage. Imagine the VAPOR from this one! :)

6E0B676C-B81B-49F2-AD59-BE32898867D6.jpeg

Last edited:

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
I did notice that my POS provider had some technical issues last night which is probably the cause for the 404. I had some trouble loading my sales dashboard around the same time.

I just tried again, and got the same 404. I was using my Chrome browser. I tried using Safari, and it worked fine. I probably just need to update Chrome.

Glorg

Yeah the website list thing just sends me to endless robot quizzes and then fails to do anything, I’m on updated all and tried on safari and chrome. Too bad was looking forward to grabbing this one I’ll see on the next round but not likely if I can’t get updated on when it’s happening.

honesty it won’t even let me make an account after I successfully complete the I’m not a robot test it goes to “your shopping cart is empty” and my account is never created, so I can’t make an account or get on the list right now. A man can dream though.

Edit:
Yay I just got the account email! all good hopefully that means I’m on the list for updates, lightbulb vapes must be added to the collection ..

Last edited:

ProfessionalHandJob

"A handjob is still a job, okay?"
I just tried Chrome v91.0.4472.114 and Firefox v89.0.2 on macOS 11.4 and am having the same issue @Glorg is experiencing.

EDIT: I take that back, I needed to check my email for the account creation verification email. Lots of hoops to prove you're a person between age verification, a capcha, and the verification email lol but I've got an account now ;-)

Last edited:

oldfool

Inspiration?

easybake_original.jpg

Top Bottom