Discontinued The Grasshopper

vapviking

Old & In the Way
So, are those reparable without sending the GH in? Or is it dead as dead can be?
There is no 'send it in' option anymore.

There is a chance your battery is no longer strong enough to fully power the device.
Or
You might try immersing the body (only) in iso alcohol for a little while, then let it dry 24 hrs. I and a few others have had some success with this method. Proceed at your own risk, but really, you don't have many options at this point.

vapviking,
Reactions: Vitolo

Dagormz

Okay i know talking smack is kind of old, but is anyone else just dumbfounded that hopper labs chose to have a custom 12630 liion cell made instead of just using a (somewhat) widely available 14650. ITS ONLY 2 mm BIGGER IN EITHER DIMENSION.

The length would probably be fine since there’s a spring on the backend switch and the threads are about 10mm. The width probably won’t work though. Has anyone tried this or am i going to be the guinnea pig?

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
Okay i know talking smack is kind of old, but is anyone else just dumbfounded that hopper labs chose to have a custom 12630 liion cell made instead of just using a (somewhat) widely available 14650. ITS ONLY 2 mm BIGGER IN EITHER DIMENSION.

The length would probably be fine since there’s a spring on the backend switch and the threads are about 10mm. The width probably won’t work though. Has anyone tried this or am i going to be the guinnea pig?

Too WIDE, too SHORT….

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Hi, I recently fallen my Ti GH from 70cm height on the concrete, when it happened I wasn't afraid cause it already fallen like that a few times without issue... but, here, when I powered on my GH again it worked as expected until... it combusted! It was true combustion, I cleaned everything and did another try... same story, my load combusted in seconds!

But it turns finally as a heavy heavy hitter, I moved up the screen in the chamber in order to keep the load far of the heating element and now I hit it right after I press the backend without to wait for the blue light (cause I can still combust if I did it), heat set at 1 and take a 4-5s strong draw hit with direct thick vapour.

Is somebody else experienced that with his GH? Do you think it's the sign of a device starting to fail? Do you think it's fixable?

I'm just afraid this is drain too much the battery (but they didn't seems hot after use though) and/or isn't good for the heater (and may release bad particles), cause, after all, it's a nice One hitter vape now and I have another GH with MaxVapor kit!

Averyminya

Grasshopper Backer
Gotta tell my story, again (Hi all! It's been... a long time since I've been in this thread, and here in general!) I was was /u/averyminya on Reddit before I deleted my account there (Reddit will say I'm banned but I just purged my account) and I was an early backer back in 2013, fully prepared for nothing to come but I'm pretty positive and I had high hopes. And hey, it was only $99 ;P (+cost of batteries on sale, I had 11 total by the end, and then cost of the MaxVapor PA. Still, not bad in total).

Well, tonight I just officially magic smoked my one and only SS Grasshopper body after... 6 years? I can't quite remember the last warranty I received, but I believe it was early-mid 2018, along with the IO if I'm not mistaken, though that may have come later. Up to that point I'd had relatively good experiences with HL, the only reason I even attempted trying the IO and my SS body did still hold up for a long time.

I had gotten a straight to red light no heat production about a year ago, probably around the beginning-mid of 2023. Far, far after their final e-mail claiming they'll "sort things out but will go dark". Lol.

What with there being nothign to lose I decided to bust it out tonight to play around a bit see if it was something I could revive like I had done in the early years. Was getting all sorts of weird reactions, from twisting the backend temp dial making the body flash red lights, or turn on at varying solid reds. Clicking it would sometimes turn it red, sometimes nothing.

I was twisting the backend click-pin and the lights went orange before "poof" and the smoke and smell. My grasshopper is officially, officially dead. And of course the IO was basically DOA after week 2 all way back when, and they sent out that no longer responding to e-mails e-mail some years ago now as well so, it's a sad day ents.

I genuinely loved the Grasshopper. The company had oh so many issues, but the device worked so well for me. The power for its size was unprecedented back in 2013 (and technically 2015 when it actually released), and the way in which the customers got treated was no good, even if my experience with the company was decent until after the fire.

I ran my Grasshopper with a MaxVapor Power Adapter for years. That part should still be going strong, and I may have a working backend still though who really knows, Not that it matters! I think I may also have a couple random IO parts, maybe the backend in my vape tackle box. Alas, they are both, finally, useless novelty now and the Grasshopper will live on through its indestructible mouthpieces as attachments for silicone whips, through the VapeXhale EVO and Tiny Might 2 <3

I always knew this day would come, I'm just surprised it took soooo much longer than everyone else. I ran this thing like a mofo you guys temp 4.5 start to finish even before the MaxVapor PA, back to back sessions milking each piece I had. Always got hot as a mofo when I did it but it kept up. I did have a couple warranties before the building fire but each were under 2 weeks, and the final one lasted until tonight (really, last year lets be real lol.) I've missed it greatly and will continue to, but I will say, the Tiny Might 2 is effectively a replacement for it. But y'all, I spent $99 on the backing when I was 17 lmao! It was the first vape I ever bought, got the FMV5.0s to tide me over and introduce me to vaping til it arrived. What a significant upgrade for I think only $10 more at the time, since the backing was $99 and the FM was I believe $89? Either way, no more than $129.

That's not to say the early days were all perfect, I had an old friend come to visit nearly specifically to try the Grasshopper lmao and guess what happened the night before he arrived? Cop lights of course, we were devestated but I priority shipped the Arizer Air (attaining my 3rd vape) and we tried that out instead. Still going to this day needless to say, and I like its differentiation from my Solo 2, the former getting a bit thicker vapor but the latter lasting 30 minutes for a sesh. But... neither are the Grasshopper, my units, or my experience with it just had that perfect blend of airflow and vapor production that was so good for stacking vapor in glass and then clearing it all in one go. *In a portable*. I mean the EVO does that no problem and continues to be my main desktop for it, but the Grasshopper was literally the same experience scaled down. Over the years I got other vapes as we tend to do, but despite the ones I try they just don't match up! (save the exceptions mentioned) the Mighty is alright but I'm not a fan of the batteries and my warrantied Mighty declined so quickly just a month after *its* warranty passed, which was the entire reason I never wanted a S&B portable in the first place (an old friend spent nearly 1K on replacements+shipping crafty's, it was insane). But the Mighty's vapor is unique and it does do a good job. Mine is just eternally plugged in (but so was the Grasshopper with the MaxVapor PA) and did a better job than the Plenty while being quieter than the Volcano (great party vapes though!)

Most of my vaporizer usage over the years has been split between the Grasshopper, the VapeXhale Evo, and the Mighty. The Arizers got a fair amount of use in college but the vapor has always been too thin for me and their usage in public has declined for me. Still bring them on road trips though! The PAX 3 and the Mighty are mostly movie vapes now and I never use the dynavaps because I was trying to get away from fires and burns, and I just personally don't see the point of a vape that loses heat as you use it

For a long time it seemed to be one of the only options that met the criteria (replaceable battery, convection, on demand, but powerful enough with some natural airflow restrictions to make dense vapor in glass).

For many reasons I knew my time with the Grasshopper remaining was limited. It was obvious that whatever it was I had about the Grasshopper was just good luck on a part with some care and maintenance. The body's contact point seems to wear or gunk up making caretaking seem vital else fatal. The same gunk would be on the batteries (or PA) and backend, so I can only imagine what was going on. I was searching both here and on the other site trying to find a worthy successor. I felt lucky to come across the Tiny Might 2 so quickly in my search because the few others I had come across didn't quite seem to hit the marks for me and this one seems to truly be the spiritual successor with repairability in mind. It does have a little more upkeep cleaning the stems and screens for airflow, but the removeable stems are a big upgrade for repackability or even for group sessions. It doesn't quite hit through glass the same way but how possibly could it - and even then maybe I could if I find the right combination of stem, screen, and beads. And of course, it's not nearly as sleek - I'm sorry TM2 I love you dearly and you're my first wood vape, it's not a slight against you, but I'll never forget my friend Lucy in college coming into my dorm room asking to borrow a pen, coming and picking up my Grasshopper turning it on and it lighting up and her jaw dropping as she asking "I can smoke this??". The TM2 will never get that reaction, but that's okay. Its reaction should be, "holy shit, this thing fucking rips!"

Anyway, thanks for reading my eulogy presented mostly stream of concious. The Grasshopper was a powerful, finnicky, unique vaporizer that had a lot of questionable decisions surrounding it but hopefully made its place in inspiring other devices to accomplish what it kind of was able to sometimes for some people, seemingly at random maybe if you were nice, who really knows.

Goodbye, my first vape. So long, and thanks for all the fish.

P.S. Hopper Labs never sent me their bong goddamnit!

Top Bottom