The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukonman77

Dam USPS always taking there sweet time and not updating tracking *sigh* hopefully tomorrow even though I was expected for a blue FF2 delivered on the 28 :/ There the real ones who have to get their shit together, then again they're on a national level of maintenance with mail, so understandable. More first world problems.

Does anyone have experience with kief in this thing yet? Was planning for a nice kief bowl upon arrival.

Last edited:
Yukonman77,

theCerberus

How's the ease of use for this? Past pre-melting the wax with cigar puffs does it still take any technique/hassle? How about cleanup?

I don't have a pen vape yet, and really liked wax when I tried in the Crafty. So maybe this would be more the niche for my lineup: concentrate vape that can do dry if needed.

I was thinking Omicron previously. Does the dab performance on this compare to a dedicated pen like that?
Easy. Yes. Its cloud/effect is comparable to doing a dab on a rig/nail. its certainly better than any pen imo. creates a little bit of reclaim on the lid after you vape it, the pad ends up dry and cools down very fast. you can touch it fairly shortly after the dab. you should remove it while its warm so that it doesnt get stuck. i use a wooden stick/tool to pry it up.

PeteSeattle

I don't have a pen vape yet, and really liked wax when I tried in the Crafty. So maybe this would be more the niche for my lineup: concentrate vape that can do dry if needed.
If you liked your concentrates in the crafty then you may have a similar experience with FF2.

Pen wise, it will do the trick for a while. But having to deal with coil atomizers can be a hassle down the road. I've got a pen but it's a pain to maintain (coils). Don't get me wrong, I'll grab my pen if I have to ... as you wrote, "Anything + THC ..."

PeteSeattle,
Reactions: stoneloc

stoneloc

If you liked your concentrates in the crafty then you may have a similar experience with FF2.

Pen wise, it will do the trick for a while. But having to deal with coil atomizers can be a hassle down the road. I've got a pen but it's a pain to maintain (coils). Don't get me wrong, I'll grab my pen if I have to ... as you wrote, "Anything + THC ..."

Yeah, I used to ecig back when it first took off. Quit several years ago, and *still* find spare joye 510 atomizers and batteries in odd drawers everywhere. That's a lot of what's been holding me back on pens.

stoneloc,

Stoney Baloney

Cannabis Connoisseur
So I emailed firefly to ask about the status of my black FF2, since some other people who had ordered a couple of days before me already had theirs I assumed mine should be getting here pretty soon as well. They emailed me back and said that I should expect it in late May/early June! I'm not really complaining cuz they promised late May (it better not show up later than May, their website is still promising late may delivery for preorders), but this is a tad bit frustrating!

Stoney Baloney,

FLMan420

Interesting....I get decent clouds with the Solo even on 3-4 setting. 5 and above are really thick. I think there may also be a little bit of a disparity with what some consider "clouds". I am in no way saying I get these ridiculous thick bellowing clouds i see from some non marijuana vapes.

What I am calling clouds is what ive seen on the VapeCritic review. Thats good enough for me. It seems crazy to expect any kind of absurd clouds from this thing.

I misunderstood what you were considering "clouds." Yes, I would agree that I can get clouds as you describe from the Solo, but the FF2 does not produce clouds at that level from my experience. The FF2 is more subtle imo, you may not think your getting hits, but after a minute or so when your stoned out of your mind, you realize you were wrong.

FLMan420,

stoneloc

I misunderstood what you were considering "clouds." Yes, I would agree that I can get clouds as you describe from the Solo, but the FF2 does not produce clouds at that level from my experience. The FF2 is more subtle imo, you may not think your getting hits, but after a minute or so when your stoned out of your mind, you realize you were wrong.

I've never been real clear if ghost hits have the same level of compounds per temperature as visible hits. They surely exist, but does ghosting indicate they're on the cool side or light side or what?

stoneloc,

Sh4dy15

Haha sweet!! Good to hear!

I guess I'm not really a cloud chaser like some people may be. If it does the job then that's good with me!

Mad at myself for not doing priority shipping at this point haha in NYC so it's 5 days shipping. Should be here Wednesday.

I've never been real clear if ghost hits have the same level of compounds per temperature as visible hits. They surely exist, but does ghosting indicate they're on the cool side or light side or what?

Definitely curious about this too because I have heard that this vapor is pretty cool. Which I think was a goal of theirs but maybe that's effecting thickness of clouds.

For comparison I've heard Grasshopper vapor is pretty hot and people seem to be getting decent clouds from it.

Think I'd prefer cool even if it means not as visible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sh4dy15,

vape4fun

After reading everything about packing etc it's very easy.

Step one take small nugget in fingers. Go back to before you owned a vape and pretend your FF2 is a small glass bowl. Break it up with your fingers put it in your bowl don't jam it down but make sure it's under rim.

Just like with glass bowl it helps to stir after 3-5 hits. Yes stir doesn't necessarily mean opening up device.!

Turn it on and inhale for 15 seconds and done. No grinders needed! You will feel it in your lungs but not necessarily exhale cumolimbus clouds but you certainly see vapor and feel ripped

Last edited:

FLMan420

Step one take small nugget in fingers. Go back to before you owned a vape and pretend your FF2 is a small glass bowl. Break it up with your fingers put it in your bowl don't jam it down but make sure it's under rim.

Just like with glass bowl it helps to stir after 3-5 hits.

Turn it on and inhale for 15 seconds and done. No grinders needed!

I would say this is a pretty good suggestion, but remember, you can "stir" the bowl by tapping the bowl end of the FF2 against your palm. You should not have to re-open the device to stir, at least I don't. Also, I bought a grinder card which I hope will give me a similar grind as breaking herb up with my fingers.

FLMan420,

Maple Beaver

Vape convert and herb snob in the making
After using mine for a while, I find that coarse grind works best. I get nice clouds and great vapor that way.
I am very happy with this vape and really like the convection vape. Much better than my pax 2 which is only other vape I have.
And when I say clouds I'm also comparing to pax2. FF2 gives me bigger clouds than pax2

Absolutely wonderful to hear! I also only have a Pax 2 and awaiting my FF2. It's rather reassuring to know that, amid the myriad of user testimonials, someone with a similiar background has had success with it.

As for those whom are havig issues, well I don't have the device in my hands, so I can't say much... But for what it's worth, I know that in life, if you wanna get better at something new, a good starting/reference point is the people that are successful at it ;)

Maple Beaver,
Reactions: Rantor49

snamuh

ghost
Do you need stock android for this to connect to the app? I've tried on both my nexus 4 and nexus 6 and it doesn't connect (both custom roms above android 5). I see it under the bluetooth settings but the ff2 doesnt find it.

snamuh,

BuzzDanklin

I agree regarding the vape critics video. What will be helpful is anyone who has achieved full clouds with flowers please let us know these things.

1. Product wet dry or in the middle
2. Hand broken up in chunks or broken by hand fine, coarse grind or finer grind.
3. Packed loose, packed tight (like Pax pack) or somewhere in between.
4. Long slow draw quick sips or some other technique.

I feel like once we get several people using same system getting nice clouds it will help the rest of us. As always thanks community!

While my technique for dry herb is slowly evolving, and everyone's technique is going to be a bit different since we are all customizing our draws to get the vapor we individually like/want here is what I am currently doing:

First I have found that I prefer a medium to coarse grind, the Santa Cruz Shredder has been working best for me overall. I have also been getting the best luck with mostly dry herbs. Bone dry and moist herbs won't work as well, but they do still work.

I like to fill the bowl all the way full, but I just loosely push the herb into the bowl so its a very lose but fully packed bowl.

When I go to take the first draw on a cold unit, I preheat for 5 full seconds, and then without letting off the heater I begin my draw. When I begin my first draw I pull REALLLY slowly, like 1/10th the speed you feel like you should draw, and i just keep this incredibly slow draw going while the vapor heats up and gets more dense, once I feel the vapor is coming on thicker/tastier then I begin to draw as fast as I please. I have found the initial crawl speed draw really helps me get the vapor production I am looking for.

On following draws I do not preheat, and I do start the draws a bit slower, but no where near as slow as I start the very first draw on a cold unit.

I have found that hitting/tapping the Firefly against my hand seems to help mix up the bowl slightly, but doesn't remove the need to stir if you want full/even extraction, so I generally stir 1 or 2 times per bowl

Last edited:

Rantor49

Just like with glass bowl it helps to stir after 3-5 hits. Yes stir doesn't necessarily mean opening up device.!

Turn it on and inhale for 15 seconds and done. No grinders needed! You will feel it in your lungs but not necessarily exhale cumolimbus clouds but you certainly see vapor and feel ripped

This is the perfect way to load this from my experience so also. You hit the nail on the head!

Rantor49,

jay87

Do you need stock android for this to connect to the app? I've tried on both my nexus 4 and nexus 6 and it doesn't connect (both custom roms above android 5). I see it under the bluetooth settings but the ff2 doesnt find it.

Did you ever get your bluetooth and app setup? Seems like someone else had a similar issue and solved it by opening and closing the app a bunch of times.

It doesn't make sense to me. The Firefly shows up in the Bluetooth settings but the app doesn't see it. I'm just going off what the manual says now on page 12. I want to fully charge it anyway before I use it to see how long it lasts. https://www.thefirefly.com/media/Firefly2-UserManual-v2-lowres.pdf

Edit: Got it paired. It was a bit finicky as Bluetooth is sometimes. I had to keep opening and closing the app and it would appear in the list and then disappear. Finally got it to work. Cool!

jay87,
Reactions: snamuh

rushncrush

You are making an assumption here that people are getting these for free and giving good reviews. Combined with your other posts in this thread, you are coming very close to company bashing and going against our 'Be Nice' rule.
  • Please do not revisit an issue unless you have helpful information or constructive comments to add.

feb 29er here still waiting

Last edited:
rushncrush,

snamuh

ghost
Did you ever get your bluetooth and app setup? Seems like someone else had a similar issue and solved it by opening and closing the app a bunch of times.

So.... I forgot that the location GPS had to actually be on.. Haha once I turned on my GPS it connected right away.

So far so good!

snamuh,

Mr. Me2

I should clarify that I have a Crafty, Pax, SSV, and a handful of other cheap butane and whip vapes as well as a MFLB. I was looking at the FF2 strictly for on-demand, hence mentioning MFLB. Convection is nice, to be sure, but it's not my primary consideration for the money--ease of use was.

If I were buying my first vape or only had a Pax or whatever this would be a slam dunk. But since I already have convection and on-demand covered separately, convection+on-demand isn't that big of a deal for buying an additional vape.
Then I'm a little surprised you haven't joined the line for a gh...

Mr. Me2,

CarbonFiberGuy

My limited experience with firefly 2 >>>

If you had success with the first one you will have no problem with the second . I think some of these negative posts are from people not knowing what to expect coming from session vapes . Its basically same as the first , I only had one session but I did everything the same as I did the OG . Super dry bud , finger crushed and lightly tamped in . First hit was just taste , second a cloud third decent cloud , stir repeat . After the second stir I increased to high setting and got a few more hits and it was done . Unit was then completely sanitized and wiped down . I put the load in the nano after and still got a huge cloud from it , but it tasted pretty spent . I have to say I really missed that firefly taste as I no longer have my OG fly , I have air , mighty, haze v3 and nano and I think the fly prob taste the best .

One thing though is it taskes some time . I know its on demand yadda yadda but that first hit between heatup time and inhale is gonna be like 20 sec and that's just getting it warmed up , you have to take another 15 - 20 sec after that for a decent cloud . This is not the pick up and get a quick hit as I think newcomers that never used the og imagined .

pushpaw

just got mine a few days ago. i just had a quick question. when i first got it, it would pulsate green for a few seconds and then it'll turn solid green. but now it just straight to green even if i haven't been using the device in a bit. is this happening to anyone else?

I have noticed mine do this once when I knew it was completely cold. Try this: Before holding it so that it is heating up, just touch the 'buttons' for a second to wake it up then let go. Now proceed normally and it will flash the light as it should. I think the current firmware has a couple little bugs in it, and it gets confused between the just waking up and heating up bits.

As others have said I have also noticed some weirdness with the battery meter (whether in the app or by tapping the right button 3 times quickly to make the light flash.) Mine still shows fully charged despite having used it for 4 bowls so far. I am sure that it is nearly spent in actuality. I am going to send them a message about this as having a working battery meter was one of the things I wanted to see in the v2.

I am still super happy with it, though. I am not a 'cloud chaser' like some, but I feel I am getting consistently bigger hits than I was from my original FF. Not as big as I can get from my Grasshopper (which is still gone for its 2nd warranty repair) but then that thing hits super hot, and not as tasty. My load approach for the FF2 is just like FF1 (except that I used a top screen in FF1, mostly to keep it from getting immediately gunked up in the top by the window with all the little grooves and whatnot that thankfully the FF2 doesn't have). I use a Santa Cruz shredder to get a nice medium grind, put enough in the bowl to just fill it (maybe a little over) and lightly tamp it down so that it is under the lip of the bowl. I usually stir once after about 3 or 4 hits and tamp down again. (I don't mind the stirring as I use the FF as an at home vape, with the Grasshopper when it is working as an out and about quick hitter.)

pushpaw,
Reactions: KeroZen

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
Received mine yesterday...super crazy busy nite I was only able to get 2 bowls in. Initial impression on first bowl was 'this isn't as good as my P2'. Second bowl...I can certainly understand how this is going to be a bit of a process to figure out how to achieve optimal results...but gettin better results than 1st bowl. Reading everyone's posts outlining tips/tricks is sure to help...so thanks everyone!!
I plan on working to perfect today...hoping to be pro by tmw...:tup:

rushncrush

If you had success with the first one you will have no problem with the second . I think some of these negative posts are from people not knowing what to expect coming from session vapes . Its basically same as the first , I only had one session but I did everything the same as I did the OG . Super dry bud , finger crushed and lightly tamped in . First hit was just taste , second a cloud third decent cloud , stir repeat . After the second stir I increased to high setting and got a few more hits and it was done . Unit was then completely sanitized and wiped down . I put the load in the nano after and still got a huge cloud from it , but it tasted pretty spent . I have to say I really missed that firefly taste as I no longer have my OG fly , I have air , mighty, haze v3 and nano and I think the fly prob taste the best .

One thing though is it taskes some time . I know its on demand yadda yadda but that first hit between heatup time and inhale is gonna be like 20 sec and that's just getting it warmed up , you have to take another 15 - 20 sec after that for a decent cloud . This is not the pick up and get a quick hit as I think newcomers that never used the og imagined .
wow thanks for the truth this pretty much goes against all the BUZZ that hit the net in time for the preorders

theCerberus

Odd. I have the original firefly and I think it's much different. I very much disagree with you. I was able to get decent clouds with a tight overflowing pack and a couple mixes of the flower with the original. I can't say the same is true for the firefly 2. I have to pack it a lot looser and below the rim of the bowl to get the same kind of clouds and find myself mixing it a lot more. It also has more uneven browning of the herb than the original which is why I am finding the need to stir/mix up the bowl more...

I also definitely got more visible vapor from the stickier stuff I had. Got decent clouds off the first hit instead of just flavour. The original firefly couldn't do that either, first hit is just flavour with that one.

Last edited:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
As others have said I have also noticed some weirdness with the battery meter (whether in the app or by tapping the right button 3 times quickly to make the light flash.) Mine still shows fully charged despite having used it for 4 bowls so far. I am sure that it is nearly spent in actuality. I am going to send them a message about this as having a working battery meter was one of the things I wanted to see in the v2..)

You can save yourself the trouble.....they've been aware of the batt meter issue for a little while now and their team is working on it. I've reproduced it on a few different units, but I'm fairly sure it's the app not reading right. I suspect they will be able to fix it fairly quickly.

(I'm not sure about the local LED battery indicator....I think I've seen it act mostly normal on the units I've played with so far.)

Odd. I have the original firefly and I think it's much different. I very much disagree with you. I was able to get decent clouds with a tight overflowing pack and a couple mixes of the flower with the original. I can't say the same is true for the firefly 2. I have to pack it a lot looser and below the rim of the bowl to get the same kind of clouds and find myself mixing it a lot more. It also has more uneven browning of the herb than the original which is why I am finding the need to stir/mix up the bowl more...

I also definitely got more visible vapor from the stickier stuff I had. Got decent clouds off the first hit instead of just flavour. The original firefly couldn't do that either, first hit is just flavour with that one.

I agree, it's a huge improvement over 1. I also don't get the folks who need lengthy pre-heating....I always get thick vapor, right away, once the light goes solid green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom