The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vape4fun

Has anyone tried the ladder method? I will give this a shot tonight and report back....oh what's the ladder method you ask? Well I am going to start on low and release the Terrapins which is not what they are called but whatever. Two hits later medium low. Two hits later medium etc until the last two on high to finish it off. Using very difficult math this comes out to ten hits total which is about the average bowl.

I figure this method could be good in that each time you kick it up a notch the FF will glow Orange which to me seem to give the best clouds.

By the way this is not a test out of frustration because I've been on medium high most of the time and have had nice clouds and nice effects.

vape4fun,
Reactions: snamuh

Sh4dy15

Great reviews and pictures yesterday. Just found out my delivery is delayed until Thursday now and since I am going away I had to change the delivery address to where I will be....probably delayed it an additional day. Hoping it gets to me by weekend!

Sh4dy15,

Slow Draw McGraw

Company Rep
Has anyone tried the ladder method? I will give this a shot tonight and report back....oh what's the ladder method you ask? Well I am going to start on low and release the Terrapins which is not what they are called but whatever. Two hits later medium low. Two hits later medium etc until the last two on high to finish it off. Using very difficult math this comes out to ten hits total which is about the average bowl.

I figure this method could be good in that each time you kick it up a notch the FF will glow Orange which to me seem to give the best clouds.

By the way this is not a test out of frustration because I've been on medium high most of the time and have had nice clouds and nice effects.
Terpenes*
Yes those are nice on a low setting, but not particularly what I look for.

Your ladder method works great with vapes.
Around these parts we call that 'temp stepping.'

Ratklaw

Just reporting that I took my FF2 out and about last night preloaded with some oil and it performed very well. I didn't use up all the oil and the battery didn't go out even sharing it around a bit with a few people. I think I did 7 or 8 draws over a few hours. Two of people who took a draw got a decent vapor cloud and someone else just took a sip and got a nice flavor. So this bad boy is very user friendly with concentrates I think - no maintenance or fuss during a night out on the town.

Last edited:

Sh4dy15

I packed it densely. Took a few hits on Med-High, stirred, took a few more hits on M-H, stirred again, bumped to High, few more hits, stirred, dropped in the pad to take up space and raise the heat, took a few final hits with some button "pulsing" to boost the heat at the end. Maybe 15ish hits. (I really need to count! :lol:)

Just curious. Are you actually opening it up and stirring it or tapping it on the palm of your hand to mix it up?

Sh4dy15,

Morimoto

Stirring with teh pick FULLY gives excellent vapor, this is me stirring to get a massive cloud for blowing O's seen here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BE_mMzhAqVw/ :p That cloud was after this stir!

And yes, I'm fucking stoned 10/10 Right in the Pocket / PFT

l9fhmWJ.jpg

snamuh

ghost
I've been using flower on the concentrate setting. Quick short one hitter type draws. Haven't combusted yet...

I have mostly been using the low setting and low medium... Maybe I should be testing out high instead of wrecklessly going straight to concentrate temp. Haha

jabba

Long time Pax 1 user....since its initial release. The Pax rendered my rolling papers and bowls obsolete so I wouldn't know where a lighter is (if I even have one). The Pax was a revelation....but not without its issues (for me personally). I love its stealth but don't like the heat up time, the always on oven, and cleaning it really sucks. I ordered a FF2 a couple weeks ago for its easy maintenance, for the economy of its convection, and for the ease/speed for a quick puff.

After reading all the type from those who have received their FF2 I have really mixed emotions about my order. I think the FF2 sounds nearly ideal for my lightweight needs (I like small fresh packs and may not complete the pack in one session)....but I know I will be losing the ability to be stealthy.

In a fit I decided to additionally order the Grasshopper....which frankly 'appears' to be my holy grail vape (a little heat at the mouthpiece doesn't bother me a bit). Not sure if/when it will ever arrive (told August delivery). I've surely been tempted to cancel my FF2 order.....but I think it sounds like a worthy household replacement for my Pax1. I surely don't need both the FF2 and the GH.....any advice is appreciated.

Cheers!

Sh4dy15

In a fit I decided to additionally order the Grasshopper....which frankly 'appears' to be my holy grail vape (a little heat at the mouthpiece doesn't bother me a bit). Not sure if/when it will ever arrive (told August delivery). I've surely been tempted to cancel my FF2 order.....but I think it sounds like a worthy household replacement for my Pax1. I surely don't need both the FF2 and the GH.....any advice is appreciated.

I was in line for GH, preordered in August 2015. I can honestly tell you that I do not believe you will receive your hopper most likely until end of year, possibly even 2017. They are moving insanely slow and I still see they are shipping out 2014 units. Also, one thing that is of concern to me is that the units that are shipping are STILL having issues. I think when the product isnt defective it will be really good.

I decided to go to FF instead because although I never owned a FireFly 1 it is a established company with a proven track record. I truly believe that if you receive a defective unit from them it will not happen again. May be naive but I trust them more and I trust that after having a vape out for a while they know what users want and have made adjustments to make it the best product possible.

Just my opinion.

Sh4dy15,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Just curious. Are you actually opening it up and stirring it or tapping it on the palm of your hand to mix it up?

Actually opening it up each time.

The basic process is: the first two hits post-stir/re-pack are very thick. The next two taper off. Each time I re-stir/re-pack, I get another couple of large, excellent hits, and the next two are lighter. The way to keep getting the thick hits is to re-stir, and re-tamp very densely.

Bit of a process, but totally worth it. :nod:

Mr. Me2

Long time Pax 1 user....since its initial release. The Pax rendered my rolling papers and bowls obsolete so I wouldn't know where a lighter is (if I even have one). The Pax was a revelation....but not without its issues (for me personally). I love its stealth but don't like the heat up time, the always on oven, and cleaning it really sucks. I ordered a FF2 a couple weeks ago for its easy maintenance, for the economy of its convection, and for the ease/speed for a quick puff.

After reading all the type from those who have received their FF2 I have really mixed emotions about my order. I think the FF2 sounds nearly ideal for my lightweight needs (I like small fresh packs and may not complete the pack in one session)....but I know I will be losing the ability to be stealthy.

Cheers!
And I think the gh and ff2 will compliment each other. Like minded bugs, you know. I agree with you about pax1 issues. The pax 2 is a HUGE improvement, but it's still a session Vape. I'm sold on convection, but still believe there is no one perfect Vape for all purposes. Plus, it's fun to switch off.

I'm a little more optimistic than @Sh4dy15 about gh delivery, but it will be a wait (unless you get one from Vapefiend, etc). So satisfy your vas and get a ff2 now (there will be some amount of wait for that too). Or how about a Boundless Vape? Not pure convection, but people seem to love it...especially for the price. And it's available now!

Sh4dy15

Actually opening it up each time.

The basic process is: the first two hits post-stir/re-pack are very thick. The next two taper off. Each time I re-stir/re-pack, I get another couple of large, excellent hits, and the next two are lighter. The way to keep getting the thick hits is to re-stir, and re-tamp very densely.

Bit of a process, but totally worth it. :nod:

Doesn't sound too bad....my main reason for getting this is I want something that I can load up, turn on and hit quick and let it turn off without continuing to heat the material. So if I cant sleep, for example, load this up, and hit it in 30 secs then leave it be.

Right now I own a Solo and love it. its been amazing but it takes a while to heat up and then I feel like I have to go through whole bowl or its a waste.

@Mr. Me2 I hope I am wrong about shipping time but just saw this chart posted on reddit stating that they are currently shipping units from Jan 23, 2015. They have a 15 month backlog. Hard to have faith in them at this point but again, I think its a solid product when it works and hopeully they get it together.

Last edited:

PeteSeattle

Hi friends. Pages ago you all had me amped for this vape. I did a late preorder not expecting anything until the end of the month (or so). I got a shipment email from Firefly!!!!!!

... it was for the external battery charger :\

Anywho, thanks to all of your helpful reviews. I'm hoping there will a "best of" soon to answer newer user question rather than asking the same questions (which is fine but may be cumbersome for others).

Any owners have the ESV? While I love my ESV I'm hoping this will satisfy my search for a better convection vape. Some of you all may suggest I get the GH but I've been waiting for that preorder so long that a month wait for the FF2 seems more in reach.​

Keep the reviews coming!

Stay lifted my friends :leaf:

jazzbass

Here's my take---
I'm absolutely loving the FF2. I also have an E-Nano and Goboof Alfa. After getting the E-Nano I realized that I much preferred the convection experience. The taste is better. For me--the high is clearer and better. The only problem that I see is that IMO---all convection vaping requires more attention to technique. Once you have it dialed in----it really is a superior experience.
When I first got the FF2---perfect clouds from hit #1. I dumped enough in until a tiny bit higher than the top of the bowl and lightly (hardly at all) tamped.
Then I read all of the suggestions of packing more in and tamping down harder than I was doing. The next two days---not as good as an experience as day #1. Bought a card grinder, ground at medium and filled the bowl again just a tiny bit higher than the top and tamped down very lightly (again, hardly at all). Bingo. So--at least for me--my initial technique worked best. Tried a half-filled bowl. The herb just flew around and didn't cook. I'm going to try a small load with the concentrate pad on top. I betcha that'll work for small loads. The "tapping the FF to stir" definitely didn't work for me.

As far as stirring---it's part of the convection technique---if you want the best hits. I stir after every two hits. I don't consider it a difficulty. The experience is so much better than conduction---it's worth it for me.

If you want a no-brainer---no stirring, less attention to loading---get a conduction. If you want the best taste/high experience---get a convection---if you're willing to learn how to optimize it.

After finding what works for me---there is no guesswork. It's all easy and convenient.

BTW---does anyone know of a plug-un usb charger that does 2 or 2.1 amps? (10 watts) I bought one from Amazon for $7 that has a 1 amp and 2.1 amp port. After plugging into what is labeled as 2.1---the blue light keeps on blinking for about 4 hours. At that amperage it should be less than an hour. So either the charger isn'ty delivering the goods, the battery indicator is incorrect, or it takes a hellova longer time to charge. I doubt it's #3 as it has been discussed thaqt the high amp charge time is less than an hour. Or does someone know of a good 2 amp usb charger? Maybe the one I got is crappy.

Maple Beaver

Vape convert and herb snob in the making
I have come to love this work of art so much. I named mine - Marty. And when I thought it couldn't get any better...I recently purchased a Cannador® and this thing seems to actually improve the entire experience by keeping my bud perfectly perfect.

Dang, how did I not know of these beautiful lil wooden storage boxes?!
:uhh:

Now my arsenal of Jyarz doesn't seem that great anymore... #firstworldproblems

I've just amply perused their website. Which one do you have if you don't mind me asking?

@Morimoto I could use a lesson or two on how to blow rings...:shrug: Those "O"s were on point! :tup:

Maple Beaver,
Reactions: Morimoto

Reggie Watts

If you want a no-brainer---no stirring, less attention to loading---get a conduction. If you want the best taste/high experience---get a convection---if you're willing to learn how to optimize it.

To be fair, there is also a third option: convection/conduction hybrids like the Crafty/Mighty and Arizer Solo/Air. Those give you the best of both worlds.

Mr. Me2

To be fair, there is also a third option: convection/conduction hybrids like the Crafty/Mighty and Arizer Solo/Air. Those give you the best of both worlds.
Except...still a session Vape (IMO). At least I find with my Crafty, I have to finish what I start. No one-and-done.

So far, it seems like the gh is the only convection Vape that doesn't need stirring, AND is a one-and-done kind of Vape. But I stopped reading the Zion thread...

jay87

And I think the gh and ff2 will compliment each other. Like minded bugs, you know. I agree with you about pax1 issues. The pax 2 is a HUGE improvement, but it's still a session Vape. I'm sold on convection, but still believe there is no one perfect Vape for all purposes. Plus, it's fun to switch off.

I'd agree about the gh and FF2 complimenting each other, the FF2 is cool and clean while the gh is hot and heavy in terms of vapor production. I'll probably purchase a gh when they are actually shipping, but I can only ever see myself using that vape with a water attachment.

I call those 4 my big uglies :lol:

jay87,

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
I've just amply perused their website. Which one do you have if you don't mind me asking?
I went with the 4 strain (with drawer)..walnut. I liked the idea of the drawer AND the ability to lock it. It's a real Beaut! I wish it came with a hygrometer but I picked one up on ebay for ~$4. Highly recommend - it keeps your medicine perfect, seals well concealing odor and has a sophisticated, classy appearance!

Last edited:

pushpaw

Cheers!

I have both a Grasshopper (I was a backer and waited 2 years for the thing) and a FF2, and I think they compliment each other. The Grasshopper is best for out and about where stealth is a priority, and gives good, strong, quick hits. The FF2 is (for me) an around the house vape, where I don't mind at all the popping it open and giving a quick stir after a few hits thing, and it provides good, clean and absolutely delicious hits, which are also plenty strong (although not cough inducing like the hopper can be).

Side note: although it is true that most pure convection vapes benefit from stirring, this is not necessary with the Grasshopper. It has a pretty small load, though. I could probably fit almost 2 full Grasshopper loads into a Firefly...

For me, both of these vapes fit my usage style which is more often just a quick hit or 2 and then set it down until later. I used to have a Solo, and I would try and do this sometimes but could tell that I would be better off just finishing a bowl once started. Also the Solo was kind of messy, with stems rolling around and spilling bits of herb all over. Not wife approved. I mean, she was fine with using it, but annoyed at the mess. She loves the Firefly (both the original and the new one.)

Morimoto

I've been using flower on the concentrate setting. Quick short one hitter type draws. Haven't combusted yet...

I have mostly been using the low setting and low medium... Maybe I should be testing out high instead of wrecklessly going straight to concentrate temp. Haha

I tried the concentrate 500 seting with flower too, it worked fine, no fires! auto combustion of marijuana is 530 ish degrees so it's actually just in the danger zone.... fly on Maverick, I'll be your wingman anytime.

@Maple Beaver there are a few ways to blow O's, I know 2, One you push from the diaphragm and the other you push with your tongue to make baby O's, both require lip control to force the vapor to make a ring... hard to explain, don't even get me started on nose O's lol.

Last edited:

Maple Beaver

Vape convert and herb snob in the making
@Vapenado Yeah, looks real good!

One last off-topic question for ya: would my 1 7/8" tall 4 piece grinder fit in the drawer? I don't know how accurate/representative their claimed drawer height measurement is...

More on topic tho is the fact that my anticipation for my blue FF2 has gotten to a point where I don't feel like using my Pax 2 anymore! Lol. Such great reports from everyone!

And whoever claimed there wasn't lots of excitement around this vape is clearly mistaken imo. Although I will admit that a 60 page thread does look underwhelming alongside 300+ for another known insect. Maybe if Firefly announced it years ago and shipped 'em at a snails' pace....? :p

Anyways, off to relieve my "anxiety" with some tasty Grapefruit :D

Keep the updates coming everyone!

Edit: @Morimoto Thanks for the tips ;) Don't worry about the nose, I'll try nailing the basics first haha. Feel free to post vids tho :D

Maple Beaver,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom