The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I'll bet @Ratchett can come up with something...
From what I read over on Reddit, the mouthpiece can be removed to swap out some new secondary screen to catch scoobie snacks.

If that's the case, you can bet your ass I'll be developing a waterpipe adapter for this vape! (The FF1 was pretty difficult to build an adapter due to it's glossy finish - I literally could not get an accurate 3D Scan of the profile)

Last edited by a moderator:

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Can't believe you have tried the low setting yet though man, pretend this is a finger wagging and not waving lol :wave: I would love it actually if you would try to temp step a load 5 hits each too. But with pure convection usually even 360 could go really far. I do often like to keep my avb lighter but well extracted so I would enjoy these two sub400 temp limits me thinks...

I will give it a shot later today. I'm just not a low-temp guy so I've been gravitating towards med and med-high.

But yeah I'm sure plenty will change. I'm sure they are working on an ac power adapter accesory with all these other improvements. Have you been using one button as usual, or trying two? Miss the power switch at all? I guess no gap between screen and glass bowl now right? That'll be nice and removable mouthpiece could mean water adapters... This certainly seems like a right proper sequel doesn't it? Thanks man :tup:

You put your herb directly on the plate, no screen. Nothing seems to get under the bowl edge (I assume there's an o-ring under there, but I can't see it.) It works fabulously well. Much less of a pain than those damn screens. I don't miss the toggle switch but I do find on occasion my fingers brush the buttons, which are flush with the side surfaces, and I get a quick light turned on. This is why I prefer to use the "both buttons" config....you can't easily accidentally brush both buttons an
@mitchgo61 - I'm guessing, but can you confirm that there is no cooking in the oven in between pulls? Just confirming this is true on demand (like the ff1) and not a session vape..

Yes, this is an easy one, as this is the heart of FF's operation...it's pure convection. Nothing gets particularly hot in the bowl, even with the heat running, unless you are drawing.

From what I read over on Reddit, the mouthpiece can be removed to swap out some new secondary screen to catch scoobie snacks.

If that's the case, you can bet your ass I'll be developing a waterpipe adapter for this vape! (The FF1 was pretty difficult to build an adapter due to it's glossy finish - I literally could not get an accurate 3D Scan of the profile)

Yep, as I think I mentioned, it's a removable plastic mouthpiece that inserts into an ovoid hole on the front of the body. Potentially easier than ever to create a 3rd party solution for it....

b0

Cloudy...
This sounds like a must have for me, following this post now! Any size comparison with the pax2, mflb, or ESV?

Thx for the info!

b0,

mitchgo61

This sounds like a must have for me, following this post now! Any size comparison with the pax2, mflb, or ESV?!

I can't post pix of it, yet, so this is the best I can do. The rough outline gives you a good idea of the general size. I don't own ESV but here's a comparison to FF1, MFLB, and P2...

2chrnm0.jpg

mitchgo61

So Mitchy buddy....how is it with oil?

Heh....I am not really a concentrate guy, so I haven't tried it. But, Sasha at FF says it works extremely well with concentrates...the old FF pads fit perfectly, and now there's a much hotter high end to the temp range especially for vaping concentrates. I wish I had a more empirical answer for you.

I have some hash....I'll give that a test drive and see how she does.

b0

Cloudy...
I can't post pix of it, yet, so this is the best I can do. The rough outline gives you a good idea of the general size. I don't own ESV but here's a comparison to FF1, MFLB, and P2...

2chrnm0.jpg

Thank you so much, exactly what I need!!

I think they have a new buyer here. My ESV is gonna be soon in the classifieds (send it to Joe for refurbishment before selling it) and I'm searching for my next on demand vape!

ginolicious

Thank you so much, exactly what I need!!

I think they have a new buyer here. My ESV is gonna be soon in the classifieds (send it to Joe for refurbishment before selling it) and I'm searching for my next on demand vape!

I feel for you. Reason as to why I did not buy an ESV. I was considering it for way too long. Then the more I waited the more issues came up with it. Started reminding me of why I said no to a crafty lol

ginolicious,
Reactions: b0

ludwig

Wow! Im definitely intrigued about FF2

I had my Firefly and I loved it- one of better portables and I was using it alongside the Mighty

A friend borrowed the fly and ended up losing it... He paid for what I paid for and just like that no firefly.. i was thinkkng about the evo but I may wait for FF2 instead now

Any idea how it compares to the Mighty?

ludwig,
Reactions: darkrom

mitchgo61

Any idea how it compares to the Mighty?

Yes, absolutely. Similar to FF1, I think of them as almost alter-egos. The Mighty is very precise and machine-like...as with FF1, the 2 is more sleek and stylish, and your interaction with it feels more personal somehow. Since it's now a much easier vape to use, and can produce buckets of vapor across the temp spectrum with little effort (like The Mighty) they have more in common than the Mighty/FF1 do. I still think the pair complement each other really well in the "indoor portable" category. (This time of year indoors is the place to be. :p)

So I took @Shit Snacks suggestion and did a step-up session, starting on Low. I was shocked at how rich and thick the vapor was, right from hit 1, on Low....(it might even be a bit on the warm side for Low...I was expecting lighter hits). I got five really nice hits, ditto on Med/Low. The five on Medium were the thinnest yet, because by now the fairly-packed bowl was about 1/2 spent. (I stirred four times, once at the beginning of each step-up.) The final ten hits, on Med/High and High, really felt like"finishing" hits where I was extracting the back end of the bowl with long hits. (Though I never hit 30 seconds, and in general FF2 requires much shorter hits to generate big vapor, maybe a factor in why it doesn't get hot very easily.) After the last of five hits on High, there were still a few hits left. The battery was full when I started, and gave me three flashes at the end. Don't know how accurate the meter really is, but that would imply 40% drainage after about 30 hits. Again, I'm loathe to draw battery conclusions with this prototype.

It was interesting how much it extracted at lower settings...you can really vape much of the material on the bottom two levels. Which, full circle ;), is a lot like The Mighty.

ginolicious

For those of us who don't like packing full bowls. Can we get away with small bowls in this vaporizer? I would assume yea since its convection and doesn't need a totally tight pack. But I figured I would ask.

ginolicious,
Reactions: snamuh

ludwig

It sounds like a winner but will have to see how the battery will stack up to usage and the overall reliability of the vaporizer..

But personally I use my portables indoors so I am always close to an outlet.. If the battery life takes a hit but it delivers the potency like the Mighty I would be happy with it

But I gotta admit- I do wish Mighty had an app like the crafty just for the kicks of it but FF2 does- just a neat gizmo thing to have and its fun when showing how a phone and vapes can work together to people seeing for the first time...

Looking forward seeing pictures and vides of it in action when it can come out!!

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes, absolutely. Similar to FF1, I think of them as almost alter-egos. The Mighty is very precise and machine-like...as with FF1, the 2 is more sleek and stylish, and your interaction with it feels more personal somehow. Since it's now a much easier vape to use, and can produce buckets of vapor across the temp spectrum with little effort (like The Mighty) they have more in common than the Mighty/FF1 do. I still think the pair complement each other really well in the "indoor portable" category. (This time of year indoors is the place to be. :p)

So I took @Shit Snacks suggestion and did a step-up session, starting on Low. I was shocked at how rich and thick the vapor was, right from hit 1, on Low....(it might even be a bit on the warm side for Low...I was expecting lighter hits). I got five really nice hits, ditto on Med/Low. The five on Medium were the thinnest yet, because by now the fairly-packed bowl was about 1/2 spent. (I stirred four times, once at the beginning of each step-up.) The final ten hits, on Med/High and High, really felt like"finishing" hits where I was extracting the back end of the bowl with long hits. (Though I never hit 30 seconds, and in general FF2 requires much shorter hits to generate big vapor, maybe a factor in why it doesn't get hot very easily.) After the last of five hits on High, there were still a few hits left. The battery was full when I started, and gave me three flashes at the end. Don't know how accurate the meter really is, but that would imply 40% drainage after about 30 hits. Again, I'm loathe to draw battery conclusions with this prototype.

It was interesting how much it extracted at lower settings...you can really vape much of the material on the bottom two levels. Which, full circle ;), is a lot like The Mighty.

Awesome man! That's what i was hoping and expecting to hear! Glad you were impressed by it, hope you use it more now :D

360 really isn't even that low, I wouldn't mind a 340 setting even (GH apparently does wonders there, its middle notch), with pure convection you can really rip at that low temp and savor the flavor and heady effects. Best for during the day, or just saving your avb for baking later on.

Temp step might work better with less bits at low first, but I know its typically hard to resist those tasty low hits, getting as much as you can, I would live be able to try a 340 360 380 session some day though... Fun stuff

marduk

daydreamer
@mitchgo61, can you confirm how the LED works in this picture from the reddit guy?

rMfJmz2.jpg

To me it looks like the LED is in the body and shining up through a mini-porthole in the glass lid... If this is the case, maybe they could add a 1/2 inch wide stripe running over the vapor path so you could see your vapor forming... Would be pretty cool to be able to see your vapor that way.

Shit Snacks

I actually think he meant that green led Mitch, the one that flashes upon first heat up? Since its in the lid seemingly in the photo.

Good to hear small loose packs work well, a weak point of FF1, but full bowls course grind is great... How's it handle a whole bud? Probably even better I'd imagine and FF1 is great at it

mitchgo61

I actually think he meant that green led Mitch, the one that flashes upon first heat up? Since its in the lid seemingly in the photo.

See, that's proof of successful testing...I can't follow a simple sentence! :doh: Yeah, sorry marduk, you are correct, the light is on the surface of the main steel plate (a noticeable difference from FF1) and it shines through a little window in the lid.

And I just had to get up and check that, twice, to be sure, so yeah...successful testing....:lol:

Shit Snacks

See, that's proof of successful testing...I can't follow a simple sentence! :doh: Yeah, sorry marduk, you are correct, the light is on the surface of the main steel plate (a noticeable difference from FF1) and it shines through a little window in the lid.

And I just had to get up and check that, twice, to be sure, so yeah...successful testing....:lol:

:rofl:
You are just a dedicated tester of a very effective device, it requires some adjustments, trust me. Let this be the worst of your slip ups (but unlikely the last) ;):razz:

That sounds awesome too! This new lid is so intriguing. Very curious to see what they did with the glass for the lid, it just sounds so :drool:

hafalump

I have an original ipod. It is a brick. It was amazing when it came out.
But looking it at it now, wow. Stil a collector piece. As FF 1 will be.
Very excited for this next version.

hafalump,
Reactions: steama

Monged Monk

Let the powers of the herb open up the mind.
This vape sounds awesome! :drool:
Was gonna get a GH for my next purchase but now I'm not sure if I want this instead.:hmm:
I'm all about vaping through glass though. Hope they come up with an adapter or some sort of glass bubbler mouthpiece.

Mister G

Deceptively Old Fart
Shit, this thing is Grasshopper's worst nightmare, they can't establish a foothold while the competition all step it up. Big influx of new portables flooding FC right now, hard to even name them all. FF2 in particular looks like it can go head to head. It's even crazier than last year when Arizer Air and Crafty/Mighty happened.

Mister G,
Reactions: nosmoking

hippogriff

Shit, this thing is Grasshopper's worst nightmare, they can't establish a foothold while the competition all step it up. Big influx of new portables flooding FC right now, hard to even name them all. FF2 in particular looks like it can go head to head. It's even crazier than last year when Arizer Air and Crafty/Mighty happened.

GH is certainly vulnerable as they figure stuff out, but the hopper, for me, is a new category of vape - the <2min convection portable. I can fill my hopper w/ med grind, not tapped or tamped so less than 0.1g, set temp around 330, hit 2-3 times, set temp around 380, hit 2-3, and be done (I skip the heavier stuff at higher temps unless I'm looking for a sleep aid). Happily shifted, no shaking or stirring, w/o slow breaths so often I'm walking at a full march the whole time. I haven't tried the FireFly, will the FF2 w/ temp settings be able to match those results? Not a session person, and 90% of my combustion friends can't get their head around any vape harder/slower to use than the hopper (ie most vapes).

hippogriff,

mitchgo61

GH is certainly vulnerable as they figure stuff out, but the hopper, for me, is a new category of vape - the <2min convection portable. I can fill my hopper w/ med grind, not tapped or tamped so less than 0.1g, set temp around 330, hit 2-3 times, set temp around 380, hit 2-3, and be done (I skip the heavier stuff at higher temps unless I'm looking for a sleep aid).).

But it's not new, at all. The FF1 has been giving us on demand convection vapor in under two minutes, two years before the GH even released their first units. I'm not comparing them vis a vis quality, but the territory you describe was owned by the FF by fall 2013.

hippogriff

But it's not new, at all. The FF1 has been giving us on demand convection vapor in under two minutes, two years before the GH even released their first units. I'm not comparing them vis a vis quality, but the territory you describe was owned by the FF by fall 2013.
Cool, then a FF2 w temp stepping and better size/weight/battery could be right in my sweet spot, I'll keep watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom