The Firefly 2 vaporizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sh4dy15

Sounds like a bad lid. Does your lid firmly pop into place? (It actually makes a "pop" sound when perfectly placed.) If the magnet is weak, it won't consistently create an airtight seal.

Definitely true! I'm at the point now where as soon as I start inhaling I know if its sealed right or not. It just feels way less restricted when its not seated properly.

justvapin

Enthusiastic Cannabis Consumer
My LHS has a shipment arriving today, and I am supposed to get the first one. Some of these posts have me pretty apprehensive. I have an original Firefly, so I guess I know what to expect to some extent.

justvapin,

TvsP

@mitchgo61 @toked23 thank you all for your answers and giving me hopes I really like the flavor of this vaporizer and have learned how to get the ABV coffee brown as I like, will like to keep it but need the battery to perform properly. I already charged both batteries and both are out of the FF2 until I arrive to the country side tomorrow afternoon. Let's see if the 2nd battery works properly and lasts for the weekend!

Also have good news! FF2 contacted me and asked to try the second battery and a few questions for the warranty. Has been 4 days waiting but at least they have been nice and things seems to go in the right direction. Will let you know if I have any problem being in UK...

Crossed fingers mate! Let us know how it works for you, it seems like there is not a lot of people having same issues as us.

@The Natty Leprechaun hope when you receive

Not to England, but there's one in Scotland ;)

Where did you source from?

TvsP,

Sh4dy15

My LHS has a shipment arriving today, and I am supposed to get the first one. Some of these posts have me pretty apprehensive. I have an original Firefly, so I guess I know what to expect to some extent.

Dont be apprehensive...this device is awesome. 3 months, zero issues. Just make sure its sealed and seated correctly and keep one of the batteries charged.

Theyre also going to release a firmware update soon that will hopefully correct the battery indicator.

@Icon13 if you are expecting this to live up to a device called "The Fogger", I do not think you will ever be happy. It's not a cloud machine, you can get some really decent clouds but I can imagine something called the Fogger is above and beyond what FF2 is capable of.

I do get clouds similar to this video that was posted a while back from start to finish though, climbing the ladder (Medium, Medium High, High)....

Last edited:

Icon13

Serial Vapist
Sounds like an air leak. You should be browning a packed bowl but good on the concentrate setting.

1. Make sure the mouthpiece is on tight.....try pushing it against the body of the FF with your thumb. Sometimes it's off just slightly.

2. Do you notice any draw restriction? If not you probably aren't getting a good seal. I hesitate to open this can of worms but try squeezing gently on the lid while drawing. If you get vapor this way, there's a lid issue somehow.

3. Make sure you really are drawing for like 10 seconds, not just 5 or so. Some people have varying ideas of what a long draw is.....but at least ten seconds is what the FF needs.

Good luck, let us know what happens....

1) Mouthpiece is on just fine. I can remove it and get the same results.

2) Yes, there is a draw restriction. The seal is fine. I even sealed the edge of the lid with tape. Same result.

3) I can draw for 30 seconds and no matter how long there is almost none to no visible vapor.

Dont be apprehensive...this device is awesome. 3 months, zero issues. Just make sure its sealed and seated correctly and keep one of the batteries charged.

Theyre also going to release a firmware update soon that will hopefully correct the battery indicator.

@Icon13 if you are expecting this to live up to a device called "The Fogger", I do not think you will ever be happy. It's not a cloud machine, you can get some really decent clouds but I can imagine something called the Fogger is above and beyond what FF2 is capable of.

I do get clouds similar to this video that was posted a while back from start to finish though, climbing the ladder (Medium, Medium High, High)....

I have seen that video. No matter how many times or for how long I draw I have not produced a single cloud even remotely resembling what we see in the video. Not even close. I would be super stoked if it did. I have sat for an hour at a time just trying to see if there is something I am doing wrong, and cannot produce a single cloud.

I personally do not think that the issue has anything to do with the lid. I think the heating element is not hot enough, although it does glow but perhaps not as much as the rest of them. It also gets warm, but then again I take really long draws because I get nothing.

I also thought that perhaps the device is just stuck on low heat mode (I have the app) but even on low heat mode there are videos on YouTube that show people making clouds that I would be jealous of.

I am a fairly intelligent person. Hell, I even have a degree. There is no way this is user error because I cannot imagine that this device is so technical that it must be used exactly right to yield even acceptable results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Icon13,

jezmund

I have seen that video. No matter how many times or for how long I draw I have not produced a single cloud even remotely resembling what we see in the video. Not even close. I would be super stoked if it did. I have sat for an hour at a time just trying to see if there is something I am doing wrong, and cannot produce a single cloud.

I personally do not think that the issue has anything to do with the lid. I think the heating element is not hot enough, although it does glow but perhaps not as much as the rest of them. It also gets warm, but then again I take really long draws because I get nothing.

I also thought that perhaps the device is just stuck on low heat mode (I have the app) but even on low heat mode there are videos on YouTube that show people making clouds that I would be jealous of.

I am a fairly intelligent person. Hell, I even have a degree. There is no way this is user error because I cannot imagine that this device is so technical that it must be used exactly right to yield even acceptable results.

What kind of grind are you using? Have you tried varying the grind? I struggled at the beginning as well. Then I figured out there is a sweet spot where the proper grind and draw speed produces a balance that results in enough hot air being circulated through the material. it should feel like the herb is adding to the draw resistance without blocking it up completely. Finger torn herb didn't work well for me. A coarse grind works for me for a full bowl, and a finer grind works for me for a smaller bowl. I'd start at a 3/5ths full bowl and try to get the feel of the draw resistance I'm describing. I feel like that's the most forgiving spot.

And just start with High setting.

jezmund,

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
I personally do not think that the issue has anything to do with the lid. I think the heating element is not hot enough, although it does glow but perhaps not as much as the rest of them. It also gets warm, but then again I take really long draws because I get nothing..

One likely way to tell if the heating element is faulty: run it for successive full 30 second cycles on High or Concentrates. Like six or seven, full 30 second hits, until the auto shut-off kicks in. Two things should happen eventually: 1. the unit will be too hot to hold, or at least very very warm....2. The red "overheat" light will go on. If you can't get either one of these things to happen, you likely have a faulty element, which definitely explains your otherwise-inexplicable lack of vapor.

You'd be surprised. Lots of smart folks have slight lid seating issues, and the FF is pretty binary in this regard: anything less than the correct seal and the thing basically won't work.

Also, FF themselves did some extensive user testing, with occasionally hilarious results....like telling users "ok, draw for ten seconds". User draws for three. "How's that?" "No. Ten seconds". User draws for five seconds. "Like that?" So yeah, you'd be surprised (or maybe not, I can't say I was too shocked) to learn that average users sometimes cannot even count to ten in their heads. :bang:

mitchgo61,
Reactions: Sh4dy15

Sh4dy15

1) Mouthpiece is on just fine. I can remove it and get the same results.

2) Yes, there is a draw restriction. The seal is fine. I even sealed the edge of the lid with tape. Same result.

3) I can draw for 30 seconds and no matter how long there is almost none to no visible vapor.

It is possible that you have a defective unit. Does it get hot to the touch on the bottom?

When I have mine on high for a while the bottom and the buttons get a little hot to the touch. Not unbearable but still hot.

Sh4dy15,

reskey

@Icon13

Is it that your weed is too dry? That is a constant problem for me in my local, east coast. I picked mine up from the LHS yesterday, and hitting it off a friends stash has produced minimal clouds. I can turn up the heat, high setting, and it gets a slight burn with the additional smoke and slight funk to the taste. This issue is the same on the Pax2 for me when the product is dry.

Anyone, I think I read in the user manual not to clean the concentrate pad? Why? I was thinking it could soak ISO or maybe clean it with a torch, so what am I missing before I try?

reskey,

justvapin

Ahhhhh.....I've done exactly ONE hit just a few minutes ago with the FF2 on stock setting (don't have app available yet)-----nice (not huge but nice) cloud, and an excellent rip that has me nicely medicated......it was just like I hoped......taste is fantastic as you all know. As long as it doesn't malfunction, I can already say it's a keeper. Will be great for taking to a friends house etc......also, I could not perceive any factory odors or anything unusual.

jay87

@Icon13

Is it that your weed is too dry? That is a constant problem for me in my local, east coast. I picked mine up from the LHS yesterday, and hitting it off a friends stash has produced minimal clouds. I can turn up the heat, high setting, and it gets a slight burn with the additional smoke and slight funk to the taste. This issue is the same on the Pax2 for me when the product is dry.

Anyone, I think I read in the user manual not to clean the concentrate pad? Why? I was thinking it could soak ISO or maybe clean it with a torch, so what am I missing before I try?

I've been cleaning the pads with 2 iso soaks and a little agitation for awhile now and it works great. There might be some change to the flavor over time but as far as I can tell you can clean them by soaking in iso pretty much indefinitely.

Firefly doesn't recommend cleaning the pads so that you'll buy more pads more often, but I DEFINITELY recommend cleaning the pads if you want to extend the life of the pads and save yourself some money :lol:

Icon13

Serial Vapist
What kind of grind are you using? Have you tried varying the grind? I struggled at the beginning as well. Then I figured out there is a sweet spot where the proper grind and draw speed produces a balance that results in enough hot air being circulated through the material. it should feel like the herb is adding to the draw resistance without blocking it up completely. Finger torn herb didn't work well for me. A coarse grind works for me for a full bowl, and a finer grind works for me for a smaller bowl. I'd start at a 3/5ths full bowl and try to get the feel of the draw resistance I'm describing. I feel like that's the most forgiving spot.

And just start with High setting.

I am using a coarse grind. That is definitely not the issue. I have a top end ($500) convection vape too so I am very familiar how fine to grind. Medium. The same as everybody in every YouTube video I have seen. I've tried full (but not packed), half a bowl and even less. Same results.

One likely way to tell if the heating element is faulty: run it for successive full 30 second cycles on High or Concentrates. Like six or seven, full 30 second hits, until the auto shut-off kicks in. Two things should happen eventually: 1. the unit will be too hot to hold, or at least very very warm....2. The red "overheat" light will go on. If you can't get either one of these things to happen, you likely have a faulty element, which definitely explains your otherwise-inexplicable lack of vapor.

You'd be surprised. Lots of smart folks have slight lid seating issues, and the FF is pretty binary in this regard: anything less than the correct seal and the thing basically won't work.

Also, FF themselves did some extensive user testing, with occasionally hilarious results....like telling users "ok, draw for ten seconds". User draws for three. "How's that?" "No. Ten seconds". User draws for five seconds. "Like that?" So yeah, you'd be surprised (or maybe not, I can't say I was too shocked) to learn that average users sometimes cannot even count to ten in their heads. :bang:

Well, I returned it about an hour and a half ago. Fed Ex has it now. Most likely the element is faulty. Regardless, on concentrate it never got THAT hot. I am pretty sure I tried it on concentrates with dry herb and hit it over and over. Never shut down. Never got a cloud either. I only get a very, very faint cloud on the first hit and maybe on the second. And when I say faint, I mean too faint for even my phone's camera to see. Then nothing after that no matter what temp I select.

It is possible that you have a defective unit. Does it get hot to the touch on the bottom?

When I have mine on high for a while the bottom and the buttons get a little hot to the touch. Not unbearable but still hot.
It gets warm. Of course that is because I hit it excessively due to no vapor production.

@Icon13

No it is not because it is too dry. Actually I live just South of Oakland, CA. We have the best herb. I even tried some drier stuff I had laying around. Same result as always. I just had some amazing AK-47 that not only would not give me any clouds in the FF2, but once I took the singed mess the FF2 produced and put it in the Dawsonator I was blowing major clouds.

That's the thing. Put it in the FF2 and get no vape. Put that same bud in my other vape and I am in the heavens.

Ahhhhh.....I've done exactly ONE hit just a few minutes ago with the FF2 on stock setting (don't have app available yet)-----nice (not huge but nice) cloud, and an excellent rip that has me nicely medicated......it was just like I hoped......taste is fantastic as you all know. As long as it doesn't malfunction, I can already say it's a keeper. Will be great for taking to a friends house etc......also, I could not perceive any factory odors or anything unusual.

Fifth hit, just blew a HUGE cloud out.... increased my draw speed and bam----I thought I combusted. I didn't. Damn, I am impressed......

See? This guy probably ground his stuff up. Loosely packed the bowl full. Slapped on the lid, AND BAM! It works. This is not rocket science and no way should this be so hard to reproduce with my unit. I am jealous.

Even if somebody allowed me to try my unit, and then tried to sell it to me for $20, I would turn down their offer. I honestly would not buy it for any amount of money. There is no value. I would never, ever use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Icon13,

justvapin

See? This guy probably ground his stuff up. Loosely packed the bowl full. Slapped on the lid, AND BAM! It works. This is not rocket science and no way should this be so hard to reproduce with my unit. I am jealous.

Even if somebody allowed me to try my unit, and then tried to sell it to me for $20, I would turn down their offer. I honestly would not buy it for any amount of money. There is no value. I would never, ever use it.
Coarsely ground, filled just above rim, LIGHTLY packed/tamped, lid carefully sealed, 5 second preheat, long slow draw (til the light shut off plus a few)........and I got a light, wispy, yet effective and tasty hit, that did have a visible cloud (as you said you had on first hit). Second hit pretty much the same. STIR. Hits 3-4 got cloudier, less tasty but more dense---STIR. Hit 5 was a major cloud (I did increase draw speed in second half of this draw). Choker. Hit me hard. Next several hits get lighter, stirring after every couple hits. Got about 8. Put AVB in Nano to see if anything left-----a wispy, ineffective hit. Basically as extracted as I normally take my nano/evo/brick....and the avb was nice and even golden brown. ZERO charring.

After several bowls (all on first battery) I find the best for me is start draw slow and increase as I inhale, to the point of a fairly rapid draw by the end.

Sorry for your difficulties. I wish you were having a better experience.

Last edited:
justvapin,

Vapenado

..you can put your weed in it
@Icon13

ISO works dont torch...itll turn black.

Vapenado,
Reactions: reskey

mulciber

A question for those using the FF2: Unlike the FF1, which has a ring that sits flush atop the bowl, and allows air flow through channels in that ring, it would appear that the air flow for the FF2 is the entire length of the cover, and that there is a small gap that extends across the top of the base, between it and the cover. What I'm wondering is whether when, for instance, you stand the FF2 on its end (say, putting it in a pocket) or on its side, particles fall out of the bowl and spread out along the base. And don't particles accumulate in that gap over time? Does one have to periodically push all the material back into the bowl? I'm not visualizing this clearly. There appears to be nothing to keep the contents of the bowl from spilling out internally. Thanks in advance.

mulciber,

Atanyrhate

Coarsely ground, filled just above rim, LIGHTLY packed/tamped, lid carefully sealed, 5 second preheat, long slow draw (til the light shut off plus a few)........and I got a light, wispy, yet effective and tasty hit, that did have a visible cloud (as you said you had on first hit). Second hit pretty much the same. STIR. Hits 3-4 got cloudier, less tasty but more dense---STIR. Hit 5 was a major cloud (I did increase draw speed in second half of this draw). Choker. Hit me hard. Next several hits get lighter, stirring after every couple hits. Got about 8. Put AVB in Nano to see if anything left-----a wispy, ineffective hit. Basically as extracted as I normally take my nano/evo/brick....and the avb was nice and even golden brown. ZERO charring.

After several bowls (all on first battery) I find the best for me is start draw slow and increase as I inhale, to the point of a fairly rapid draw by the end.

Sorry for your difficulties. I wish you were having a better experience.

This is EXACTLY my method and I get the same results. It's awesome!

Except for the "several" bowls one battery. Have yet to get a "few" :rolleyes:

Atanyrhate,
Reactions: justvapin

justvapin

I got into my 4th bowl last night and the first battery (I had charged to full) died. No red lights or anything. Just stopped working at all. Took battery out and put back in.....no lights or response. New battery and all normal. So no red lights when battery dead for me so far....

Last edited:
justvapin,

kcmochris

Same here @justvapin. Immediately charged the unit upon unboxing until full. In the middle of the fourth bowl it died. No red light, no function. Dead. This doesn't bother me at all. I'm sure the first run can be deceiving as well. Charged the second battery up over night so not sure it's performance yet until I come home from work today.

Having used it for one night, just things to touch upon:
-so surprised how cool the vapor is. Seriously. And just delicious taste and flavor.
-so easy to clean
-snapping that lid on takes some finesse
-def a learning curve
-adding a concentrate pad on top of a small packs helped vapor production tremendously!
-yes, for me, it did initially have a factory taste and smell (smells exactly as the packaging smells--I sniff tested he package after it had been empty for 4 hrs); by the last bowl of the night, packaging smell and taste indistinguishable

So, yeah. Overall, I love it. Just as expected.

The biggest strength of this unit is its vapor QUALITY. Cool, great taste. But most importantly, the vapor is medicating me amazingly. Nice roast of the flowers. Can assess after each hit how you efficient your hit was.

I did notice one thing regarding the charging dock and would love someone to weigh in:
I can hear a faint buzzing when the unit is on the dock, charging. Tested unit with both batteries. Tested different sockets for the USB (with a 1.0A iPhone charging block, and plugging into my MacBook Pro which reads a current of 1000mA). Same results. It appeared to charge properly and doesn't seem to be a problem. But it is definitely audible--when I put my ear close to it I can hear it buzzing clearly. But from far away with the AC and all technology off even, it's faint. Anyone else notice this (or not)?

kcmochris,
Reactions: mitchgo61

pushpaw

A question for those using the FF2: Unlike the FF1, which has a ring that sits flush atop the bowl, and allows air flow through channels in that ring, it would appear that the air flow for the FF2 is the entire length of the cover, and that there is a small gap that extends across the top of the base, between it and the cover. What I'm wondering is whether when, for instance, you stand the FF2 on its end (say, putting it in a pocket) or on its side, particles fall out of the bowl and spread out along the base. And don't particles accumulate in that gap over time? Does one have to periodically push all the material back into the bowl? I'm not visualizing this clearly. There appears to be nothing to keep the contents of the bowl from spilling out internally. Thanks in advance.

The gap is very narrow, just big enough to allow airflow. Some tiny bits will get stuck to the glass top in that space as you use it, but in my experience none from just carrying it around. Huge advantage over the old design is that cleaning it is so easy. The FF1 was a total pain to clean because of that area over the bowl, and for me at least those channels were the first to clog. FF2 is a signficantly better and simpler design in the whole bowl and lid area.

I have been using my FF2 solely for concentrates recently, and using my Grasshopper through a bubbler for flowers, but when I use the FF2 for flowers I will sometimes scrape the little bits that get stuck along the airpath up and mix them in with a bowl since they are basically covered in honey oil.

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are

A few particles can migrate out of the bowl and onto the surface that forms the vapor path. It's pretty minimal, and no than you get from the FF1 in spite of its little metal ring around the port window. The screen in the mouthpiece keeps stuff out of your mouth, and even after several bowls I rarely see more than a few bits of debris on the lid or the plate. Certainly not enough to have to push weed back into the bowl at any point.

I got into my 4th bowl last night and the first battery (I had charged to full) died. No red lights or anything. Just stopped working at all. Took battery out and put back in.....no lights or response. New battery and all normal. So no red lights when battery dead for me so far....

Sometimes I get the flashing red. Sometimes, just as you described, no light, no anything....just deadness. Have had both scenarios, regularly, with both batteries.

mitchgo61,
Reactions: turk

turk

turk
....had it too..but after a minute...It resets Itself...Still using mine exclusively for concentrate ...fuckin great

turk,

reskey

I did about 4 or 5 bowls last night. I stopped using the SLX grinder, and went to tearing it up with fingers. Worked better, but just using the whole bud seemed to work the best. Very even vapor production once it started to produce. Maybe I was getting lucky, but It didn't get better vapor by trying to flip/stir the whole bud.

There is a ton of hype with this vape, caveat emptor. I don't see it outperforming my Pax2, but I haven't done a back to back. It does have some things where it excels, and some areas where it gets dinged. I expected a little more, but I don't have buyer's remorse.

reskey,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom