The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

vapeguy

I had the Volcano for several years and want to replace it with something else. After first wanting an Iolite, then a Vapir NO2, I ended up choosing the Extreme Q and just ordered it. Should be here in a few days.

vapeguy,

ExQ2HiSi

@aab1 - you shouldn't be sorry, but please let us know what you think. my buddy had a volcano and the EQ is a much lighter and smaller unit. but so many ways to use it, GonG, whip, bag. the bowls are nice and elbow packs are cool also. out of curiosity, what temp would you vape using the volcano?

So, I'm finally switching out balloon bags. can i scrap my old bag for resin?

ExQ2HiSi,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
ExQ2HiSi said:
@aab1 - you shouldn't be sorry, but please let us know what you think. my buddy had a volcano and the EQ is a much lighter and smaller unit. but so many ways to use it, GonG, whip, bag. the bowls are nice and elbow packs are cool also. out of curiosity, what temp would you vape using the volcano?

So, I'm finally switching out balloon bags. can i scrap my old bag for resin?

Wile you could scrape them, check out the last couple pages of the cano thread, as this was discussed. Many came to the conclusion that cutting the bags into strips to be used for cooking, or soaked to make hot coccoa...or you could throw a bird(turkey, chicken, roast,) in your old Vape bag, and cook in in the oven

Purpl3_Haz3,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
aab1 said:
I had the Volcano for several years and want to replace it with something else. After first wanting an Iolite, then a Vapir NO2, I ended up choosing the Extreme Q and just ordered it. Should be here in a few days.

Yeah please let us know your comparative review!

I owned a Q and sold it. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good vaporizer, and the best all-in-1 to me, but IMO as all "all-in-1" they are not the best in each specific field... For example a Swiss knife is less efficient then a Buck knife, a pair of cissors and a saw.
As I own both a Cano and an SSV, I thought and still think I have the high-end of each world (bags/whips). Let us know what you think!

PS: yes reclaiming resine works, and unclogging screens too! ;)

FLskwat,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
FLskwat said:
aab1 said:

Yeah please let us know your comparative review!

I owned a Q and sold it. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good vaporizer, and the best all-in-1 to me, but IMO as all "all-in-1" they are not the best in each specific field... For example a Swiss knife is less efficient then a Buck knife, a pair of cissors and a saw.
As I own both a Cano and an SSV, I thought and still think I have the high-end of each world (bags/whips). Let us know what you think!

PS: yes reclaiming resine works, and unclogging screens too! ;)

I agree on the q, i love mine, but feel that it could excel in certain aspects...a jack of all trades, master of none...

I'm considering selling mine, and getting a HerbalAire, as i love the bag aspect, and its a fraction of the cost of the cano...and as far as whip hits, I mainly use my whip on the eq through a bong...so i plan on building a hakko wand for bong use, as described in the homemade vapes thread...this should cover the two things i like about the q, and do better, but wont be all in one...

That being said, the EQ is still a wonderful vape, and if one is looking to expand from the bag only feature of the cano, yet have just one vape, the EQ will do the job!

Purpl3_Haz3,
Hey guys, first post but I've lurked for a while... few quick questions and I hope you can help. Just got the extreme Q and after about a weeks worth I noticed the whip wasn't hitting very well. The other day I checked out the elbow under some light and I could see a tiny hole in the elbow piece where it joins. Has anyone else had a hole form in the elbow piece after using it for a while, or did I just get a faulty elbow piece? My other question is if I pack a bowl and plan to use the whip, is the vapor escaping through the tube as it sits there? I mean obviously some does, but any noticeable amount or do you have to be pulling on it to release any decent amount. Thanks for reading!

originalbones,

bfuerst

Hey guys,

I just got a extreme q from a friend and the cyclone bowl doesnt have a mesh screen in the middle ... is that a problem because it looks like my herbs can fall right threw now?

thanks

bfuerst,
ya you need a screen in the middle or else the herbs will fall onto the heating element. you can get away without having the other screen, but that middle one is pretty necessary

originalbones,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Yeah, you should buy that. They have them on ebay cheap, too. You could always just pack a really tight elbow pack and you shouldn't get too much herb on the heater. I don't think it would do that much damage even if you did. It may smell a bit, but no big whoop.

Stu,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
My elbow screens are getting loose. Sometimes they fall out into the cyclone bowl in the middle of a session. I hate it when that happens!

Tstat,

ExQ2HiSi

@Tstat - how long have you been using the same elbow screens?

i still have not had to do this, but the manual or vaporpedia site says if the elbow screens become loose then you can try using your finger to shape it to a bigger size. hope that helps for now, but i maybe would invest in a new set of screens.

ExQ2HiSi,

vapeguy

My EQ arrived today, I can't try it now but will in a few hours. I can't wait to try it.

vapeguy,

Tstat

Dead Foot Designs
Accessory Maker
Yea, been using these same screens since I bought it. I guess maybe 4 months ago...

Tstat,

vapeguy

vape4life said:
Been using my Q as an aromatherapy diffuser and it does an awesome job. After my sesh i'll just put a bunch of drops of organic essential oils on some potporri and set the Q to about 200-220 which coincidentally is my vaping temp and you can just see the streams of essential goodness go into the air. It smells up my entire house...i like orange or peppermint. smells so wicked! It's amazing just how versatile this machine really is.

Drooling for the portable when it ever comes out!

Actually I have my Q since a few hours but there's someone here which I need to wait until they leave before I can put a particular herb in it if you know what I mean. In the meantime I tried some legal herb and have been using it as an essential oil diffuser for now.

Since I didn't want to affect the smell of the included potpourri and wanted to try my essential oils on it I figured one small sheet of toilet paper crumbled up fits well in the potpourri bowl and I add a few drops of essential oil to the paper and it works well.

I'd recommend 50-80 Celsius for essential oils, at 200 you're going to either send it all in the air within seconds or burn it and damage the scent. Using 50-80 for essential oils will make them last much longer and ensure the scent isn't damaged by excess heat. I use fan speed 1 for essential oils.

I've always wanted an essential oil diffuser and never wanted to pay $100 for one, this vaporizer makes the perfect essential oil diffuser and being able to adjust fan speed and temperature allows you to get the results you want.

This also means you don't need to hide the Q as I did with my Volcano when I had certain guests, now I can leave it in sight and just say it's an essential oil diffuser, which it is.

vapeguy,
anyone had a hole form in the elbow piece where the glass is melded together?

also, will the vapor leak out of the whip just sitting there? ie, do i need to cap it?

thanks!

originalbones,

Moebudz^420

Licensed Self-Provider
My elbow does not have a hole - and no there shouldn't be one, it is defective if the weld is bad - and if you aren't using the fan, then no vapor should come out of the whip unless you're pulling on it to cause airflow.

I noticed that the cyclone screen was quite a coarse mesh and let quite a bit of dust fall onto the heating element so I cut a circle out of 100 micron SS kief screen to put in there. Just jammed it in on top of the stock one - seems to work okay, and far less dust falls thru onto the heating element...

Am luvin my Q. Workin great w/ good meds @ 200C... :D

Peace

Moebudz^420,
it was fine for the first week, the hole formed... and I just noticed the other day, it was still pulling (the whip) just not as good of hits obviously

originalbones,

vapeguy

magicflight said:
Really, the discriminating vaporizer purchaser needs to understand that the presence of a "digital display" is much more significant from a marketing and sales point of view than it is from a user/functional one. It is the connotation of "digital displays are more accurate/precise" that makes units sell, not the actual real functional performance or correctness -- something much harder to measure and understand. For vaporizers, as with most home appliances, "good enough" really is enough for most people -- everything else is a sales tactic.

-- Magic-Flight

I disagree with this, although the temperature on the display is not the actual herb temp, it's still accurate of the heater temp.

But most significant is that analog/mechanical thermostats such as on my old Volcano Classic only adjust the temperature once every few minutes, and can allow the temperature to vary by as much as 20 degrees before cycling on and off. For example if you set a Volcano Classic to 350, it will approximately oscillate between 340 and 360 continuously.

Digital thermostats often adjust the temperature every second or even several times per second which normally allows it to stay within 0-3 degrees of your set temperature. This completely eliminates the 20 degrees up and down roller coaster of analog devices.

So even if the temperature on the display is 50 degrees off, it's maintained within 0-3 degrees accuracy while an analog will device will vary by as much as 20 degrees.

So even if an analog device did state the actual temperature of the herb (which they don't), it will still vary widely. I'll take a temp that's 50 degrees off but maintained within 3 degrees over one that's more accurate to the actual herb temp but varies 20 degrees constantly.

Not to mention, with most if not all digitals the actual temp is also shown, with an analog you have no idea of the progress when warning up and need to wait "blindly" until the light goes off, not knowing if you're 20 degrees or 200 degrees away.

vapeguy,

vapeguy

originalbones said:
it was fine for the first week, the hole formed... and I just noticed the other day, it was still pulling (the whip) just not as good of hits obviously

It's highly unlikely, I'd even say practically impossible, for a hole to just appear in glass. You probably just didn't notice it earlier or you were using the other elbow.

vapeguy,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
had my first elbow break today...leaving me with one elbow, and this strange new straight end bong adapter...it broke right where the small diameter piece stretches out to the rest of the elbow....at first, I stuck my mflb stem into the remaining larger section of the elbow, through the 'new' hole, and the rigid piece was still stuck in the whip...so i enjoyed some not perfectly sealed mflb bong rips...then I twisted the mflb the wrong way, opening the hole alot more, thus leading to making it a straight tube to glass to bong adapter, see pics below...sorry, no pics of the elbow when the hole was still sizeable for the mflb

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

straight wasnt working so well...used some zip ties to rig this up;

Purpl3_Haz3,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
So Aab1, what about the Q, do you like it as a vaporizer, do you master it? ;)

Just FYI, the Cano does aromatherapy like a champ, if you have a specific chamber for it (as the Q has its own glass bowl) you can leave it on the Cano with no air for slow diffusion, or you can push the fan and the room will be filled in 10 sec. by the aromas...

FLskwat,

vapeguy

I love the Q as a vaporizer much more than my Volcano since I can either do bags or use the whip for direct inhalation or aromatherapy.

So far I prefer the whip but am still learning on how to use it, I actually use a flashlight all the time to shine through my exhales to see if I'm still exhaling vapor (I normally vape in the dark watching TV so I don't see the vapor much in the dark without a flashlight). I can get major hits with it more than I can ever remember getting with my Volcano. With my Volcano I use to put the herb chamber on it, turn on the compressor and then shine the flashlight above the herb until vapor came out before attaching the bag (I use this same technique with the Q when doing balloons).

I also love that the herb chamber is transparent and the herb is visible while vaporizing, very cool! No more opening the herb chamber to see the color of the herb.

About doing aromatherapy with the Volcano, I don't think it can reach a temperature low enough to not burn essential oils, plus its compressor is noisier than the Q's fan and there's no auto off timer. With the Q I can set it as low as 50 degrees, and with the fan on 1 it's extremely quiet, and I set the timer to 30 minutes since the oils are mostly all vaporized by then. Oh, and the herb chamber on the Volcano is almost $100 for a new one, I'd rather spend just over double that and get a whole new and better vaporizer.

BTW I'm still reading this thread and am at page 27 so far.

vapeguy,

vapeguy

FLSkwat: Is that "EQV" in your "sold" list in your signature the Extreme Q? Why did you sell it? Do you prefer the Volcano Digital (I had the classic Volcano). I much prefer the EQ than my Volcano Classic and am sure I'd prefer it even to the Volcano digital.

vapeguy,
Top Bottom