• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The CORRECT way to store your bud?

GoldenBud

I always wonder why people would like to add moisture to their buds, and then I imagine in my head some veteran vaporent old dude sitting in his room and like 5-6 big CVaults and just can never finish his batches so his weed gets VERY dry sometimes, that dude knows how to live :lol:
(i think after 1yr-1.5yr of storage the weed gets really dry?)

Madri-Gal

Child Of The Revolution
I have a couple CVault, which I use with Boveda. Mostly, I use Mason jars and Boveda, but have Boost and Raw stones as well. If my Boveda get dry, I soak one in filtered water overnight, then put in a jar for a day or two with a few others that seem to be getting dry. They all get refreshed, and used again. Boost is simular, but I soak a few Raw stones and put those in with Boost packs that need a boost. Haven't done the Raw stone/ Boost in jar combo yet. My humidity is where I want it, so no point messing with it. I don't care for Boost much, but they work fine, and I will use them as long as they work.
I will take @FlyingLow advice, and try a stone before pressing.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

I always wonder why people would like to add moisture to their buds, and then I imagine in my head some veteran vaporent old dude sitting in his room and like 5-6 big CVaults and just can never finish his batches so his weed gets VERY dry sometimes, that dude knows how to live :lol:
(i think after 1yr-1.5yr of storage the weed gets really dry?)
Almost every coffeeshop (word for weed shop in Dutch, where I live) I have visited regularly had fluctuating moisture levels, often too dry. It's an illegal crop and processing and wholesaling etc so it doesn't get the spa treatment on its way to my mason jar. So yeah I'm really happy I found out about this, has made my experience way more enjoyable (no more frustration over weed that's too dry for nice flavor, plus the consistency now makes easier to hit it just right each time.

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
VapePerson,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

chlorophyll_man

AVB Inspector
I've been storing a 2018 harvest in unsealed glass jars, with 62% boveda packs, inside vacuumed and sealed sous vide bags. The jars stop the buds from getting squeezed by the vacuum when removing the air from the bags. They've then been stored at room temperature (ranges from 15⁰C to 33⁰C over the years) inside black bags for darkness.
I'm still getting medicated from ≤0.05g doses, though I do manage my tolerance fairly strictly. At a guess I'd say after 4 years the buds feel like they have maintained ≈75% of original potency.
At current consumption levels, some buds will see their 6th year in storage.
I was a bit worried that not storing them at a constant cool temperature (like a fridge) was going to limit their potency to a couple of years, but this hasn't been the case. I imagine constant refrigeration would further slow the decay, just didn't have the space to try.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

I've been storing a 2018 harvest in unsealed glass jars, with 62% boveda packs, inside vacuumed and sealed sous vide bags. The jars stop the buds from getting squeezed by the vacuum when removing the air from the bags. They've then been stored at room temperature (ranges from 15⁰C to 33⁰C over the years) inside black bags for darkness.
I'm still getting medicated from ≤0.05g doses, though I do manage my tolerance fairly strictly. At a guess I'd say after 4 years the buds feel like they have maintained ≈75% of original potency.
At current consumption levels, some buds will see their 6th year in storage.
I was a bit worried that not storing them at a constant cool temperature (like a fridge) was going to limit their potency to a couple of years, but this hasn't been the case. I imagine constant refrigeration would further slow the decay, just didn't have the space to try.
Probably also the light. Afaik dry herb doesn't like darkness, it likes filtered light. I use the amber glass because I don't store long term. For long term the violet is preferred, but it's more expensive.

Thick Vape

In the Ballpark
Thick Vape,

LesPlenty

Company Rep
I've been storing a 2018 harvest in unsealed glass jars, with 62% boveda packs, inside vacuumed and sealed sous vide bags. The jars stop the buds from getting squeezed by the vacuum when removing the air from the bags
Get one of these for your mason jars and ditch the bags,
61TQXtFXWFL.jpg

Madtater

The Boveda packs just DRY out and get HARD.
I am going to reply to this comment, but full disclosure, i did not read the entire thread, so i apologize in advance if this was already mentioned.

Most people do not know that you can reconstitute boveda packs when they dry out or “arent squishy” anymore. Boveda packs are engineered to put humidity in the air, as well as take out humidity. I have packs in my collection that i have had for YEARS and have reconditioned them numerous times. I dont have any in my humidors, but i use them for my tupperdors and in my travel humidors

I have been an avid cigar “ connoisseur” for many years and currently work part time at my favorite cigar shop. I have never heard of boveda packs “stealing” any kind of flavor from anything. Now, obviously the paper wrapping of the pack will retain some smells. I would imagine that this is less important for cigars, as the 600 or so cigars i have in my humidors are touching, and more important for the cannabis specific terps. I honestly dont know if terps would be “stolen” or not.

One other thing that people do not know, is that hygrometers are not required and are optional when using boveda packs. These packs are so precise, most cigar owners i know dont use any monitoring gauge…and we are some of the most paranoid people when it comes to humidity.

If anyone wants to know how to reconstitute the bovida packs…all you have to do is dampen a CLEAN paper towel with DISTILLED water, wrap them in said paper towel, and lock them in a ziploc bag for a couple days. It may need to be repeated, but i can reconstitute them in about a week if i check them every day.

Honestly, some people feel it isn’t worth it, but if you start going through them often, they can get quite expensive.

RustyOldNail

SEARCH for the treasure...
i did not read the entire thread, so i apologize in advance if this was already mentioned.

It has been…. but posts scroll by and get buried.

I tried once to recharge a bunch of my dried out Bovida packs, followed online advice, similar to what you mentioned, didn’t work very well for me, ended up just buying more as they last for months in my sealed containers.

Using some inexpensive wireless Bluetooth humidity monitors in the containers lets me know what the humidity of my expensive flower is at. Left info and links if you search this thread using my forum name. That’s how I roll…..

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
It has been…. but posts scroll by and get buried.

I tried once to recharge a bunch of my dried out Bovida packs, followed online advice, similar to what you mentioned, didn’t work very well for me, ended up just buying more as they last for months in my sealed containers.
Recharging humidity packs never worked well for me either. Seems like one of those love it or hate it things.

Madtater

Recharging humidity packs never worked well for me either. Seems like one of those love it or hate it things.
It works fine. Just gotta be patient. It doesnt happen over night.

Some of my larger packs take a couple weeks before theyre fully charged. It is for sure a pain in the ass, but that depends if people want to spend the cheddar for new packs versus recondition the ones they already have.

I have noticed that if the packs are rock hard (no moisture at all), they wont recondition properly most of the time. Why…i have zero clue. However, if they are just thin but still pliable, they will reconstitute just fine.

Madtater,
I read through the whole discussion so far... and no love for just vac-sealing your bud?

I looked into these Boveda packs and vac sealed jars with temps when (after many years of trying and failing) I started growing nice quality bud - and I knew I was going to have a lot of it. It's my year's supply before the next growing season here in the Mediterranean (around late April - mid June, then it gets crazy) So, these Boveda packs are what everyone's talking about - but the cost of these packs was way out of my league. Harvest was a little under 1.5kg in the end (dry)

The first year I just used jars with no packs. I'd say they lasted a bit less than 4-5 months before it was all just dust when you crumbled it. Not good.

The second year I remembered I had a vac-sealed bag of weed that I'd kept in a box for just over a year. I opened it and it was just as fresh as it was when I got it a year earlier. Which took me by surprise to be honest...

Ever since then I've always harvested, cured for anywhere between 2 weeks and a month (max) then I vac seal it - and it's worked perfectly so far. I double vac-seal everything and the sealer itself is one of the cheapest ones you can get. Was about 40 euros/dollars - and broke almost straight away (but, with some trickery, it still actually seals)

I always use the correct vac-seal bags and always double them up. I also open them and then re-seal straight away.

It just seems to me a lot cheaper way to preserve your bud over the long-term if someone doesn't have much cash lying around.

I say this more for people with a large amount that they know will have to sit around for a year (or two) - I guess if I was just getting bud from a dispensary, etc - then for sheer convenience then maybe these jars are a good option. But I think if I was buying it then I'd probably vape it in about a week or two. It sure as hell wouldn't last months... :)

"It crushes the buds"

"The THC sticks to the plastic"

Can't say I've been bothered about either of these. My bud isn't just THC rich on the outer edge of the buds... they're actually dense and pack a nice punch :) As for crushing the bud - you can regulate it so it doesn't. You just need to spend another 20 dollars or euros on a slightly better vac-sealer. I also actually prefer it ever-so-slightly crushed - I think it gives a better crumble after (imho) Also, some airy buds can also benefit from a little compacting - and I always end up with at least one airy plant each year.

Last edited:
I read through the whole discussion so far... and no love for just vac-sealing your bud?
I agree. I use a standard kitchen seal-a-meal with a canning jar attachment.

Just like the food manufacturers do it. Can you imagine what a jar of mayonnaise would taste like after a month or 2 on the shelf WITHOUT vacuum packing? Well, same thing applies to pot....

I use this...

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
One other thing that people do not know, is that hygrometers are not required and are optional when using boveda packs. These packs are so precise, most cigar owners i know dont use any monitoring gauge…and we are some of the most paranoid people when it comes to humidity.

I do not go without a gauge but admit the variance when using Boveda is minimal.

Sad truth, there is often a greater variance between hygrometer readings when using cheap hygrometers... admittedly most of mine are cheapos from Amazon.

RustyOldNail

I do not go without a gauge but admit the variance when using Boveda is minimal.

Sad truth, there is often a greater variance between hygrometer readings when using cheap hygrometers... admittedly most of mine are cheapos from Amazon.

Yeah, I previously used the cheap ones, did tests, some were off by 10%, some were 3-5% off, cheap batteries they come with die quickly. Really been enjoying these accurate and inexpensive ones:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Truth! I've never had a cheapo hygrometer that was actually calibrated right, digital or analog.
I have the sensorpush version of these. The expensive one I bought is totally overpriced; these are amazing.

RustyOldNail

Truth! I've never had a cheapo hygrometer that was actually calibrated right, digital or analog.

Before trying and switching to the Bluetooth ones I linked in my previous post, I actually bought some more expensive ones listed on Cigar sites, both analog and digital, they were much better then the cheap Chinese ones, but a bit larger. To use those and view the their displays without opening my storage containers, I placed those two in my glass Cannastore containers. But I also have a few CVaults that are SS, so that’s when I discovered the Bluetooth humility gauges. I bought one at first as I wasn’t sure the BT signal would get through, but it worked inside the sealed metal container, inside my kitchen cabinet, and my iPad is about 15 feet away. The downside is you need a phone/tablet or computer to check the humidity. But being able to see the humidity without even accessing any of the containers is super convenient, and you can set alarm notifications for both humidity and temperature. You can label the units too, so you know what container they are in. This is how I know when to change my Boveda packs. They are a little chunky, but overall still small and don’t take up much space in my various containers. The low price, makes them worth trying, if you are on the fence.

Vacuum sealing in my opinion would be better suited for longer term storage, as I access my various containers more often, then I want to keep resealing bags, and I prefer stainless steel and glass. Maybe someday I’ll buy vacuum sealer, then the device, if I’m not planning on using some flower for awhile. My system suits my current needs.

This post made me realize I have to buy at least two more.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
they can get quite expensive.
The one in my 22-liter CVault would not be cheap to replace!
Luckily, or more to the point, due to diligence, all my Bovida packs still feel like new as I dry and burp to 62% before storage with Boveda as a rule and my digital hygrometers always sit at about 62-63% for up to and over a year before use.
My long term process may make the Bovida overkill but if a seal in a mason jar lets go the herb should still be OK if not as good as it could be. I store 2.5 oz per quart jar so a few dollars on Boveda packs in jars is insurance seems cheap to me.
I buy the $2-$3 digital hygrometers and have a dozen or more. I always stack them and just chuck out any that are too far from the crowd, just use better batteries than what are supplied as mentioned.
Vacuum sealing in my opinion would be better suited for longer term storage
I also have a small battery-powered vac sealer as well that is quick and easy to use as it has a rubber piece that pushes directly onto the mason sealer above without the hose being needed.
31EAS+4LCwL._AC_SY350_.jpg

RustyOldNail

The one in my 22-liter CVault would not be cheap to replace!
Luckily, or more to the point, due to diligence, all my Bovida packs still feel like new as I dry and burp to 62% before storage with Boveda as a rule and my digital hygrometers always sit at about 62-63% for up to and over a year before use.
My long term process may make the Bovida overkill but if a seal in a mason jar lets go the herb should still be OK if not as good as it could be. I store 2.5 oz per quart jar so a few dollars on Boveda packs in jars is insurance seems cheap to me.

I buy the $2-$3 digital hygrometers and have a dozen or more. I always stack them and just chuck out any that are too far from the crowd, just use better batteries than what are supplied as mentioned.

I also have a small battery-powered vac sealer as well that is quick and easy to use as it has a rubber piece that pushes directly onto the mason sealer above without the hose being needed.
31EAS+4LCwL._AC_SY350_.jpg

I just ordered the latest FoodSaver model #FS2160. The original, larger white model in your picture is no longer made, the next model #V1100 is still available, but is being replaced with the model I just bought. I called the company hoping to speak with a real technician to compare the differences, but all I got was uneducated sales person.

From what I can tell, all 3 handheld units have the “port”, that allows them to be used with the BALL JAR attachments. I’ll link below the Amazon product page that has the bundle I bought, includes the FS2160, the two Ball Jar attachments, and a couple of the resealable bags, and a container.

It seems the newest model, has an AUTO SHUTOFF when the vacuum is complete. And, you don’t have to hold the button down the entire time. If true, those would be good updates. This seems to be confirmed, when I simply compared the online manuals. I assume a wall powered sealer MIGHT have more suction power then a battery operated hand held unit, but hopefully there is enough vacuum to do the job on the mason jars, I’m not using the resealable plastic bags.

RedZep

Everytime I mess around with moisture packs (different manufacturers and moisture levels) it makes my weed crap. Produces less vapour and has less flavour.

I just don't bother anymore.

Just like the food manufacturers do it. Can you imagine what a jar of mayonnaise would taste like after a month or 2 on the shelf WITHOUT vacuum packing? Well, same thing applies to pot....

Generally food is packaged in a controlled atmosphere in which air is replaced by carbon dioxide or nitrogen. That extends shelf life way more than just vacuum sealing.

Same principle can be used for cannabis by using nitrogen wine preservation systems (or argon if money is in abundance).

RustyOldNail

As part of my research on the handheld vacuum and ball jar attachment, I tried to get a definitive answer on:

ARE BOVIDA/BOOST packs totally UNNECESSARY if storing weed in a Ball Jar, that is under VACUUM?

*Some comments on the subject I saved:

“Assuming you have them dried to the perfect moisture level and properly cured, and you are going to "Seal" them then no humidipaks are not neccessary. the whole idea of the humidipaks is that they act as a safe moisture buffer. absorb exces moisture when RH is high and release moisture when the RH is low. Very usefull in final stages of curing to maintane a steady RH. But once its done and you "SEAL" it from the external enivronment its not needed.”

FROM: https://www.rollitup.org/t/long-term-storage-in-vacuum-sealed-jars-should-i-use-humidipaks.737453/

Q: The foodsaver has an attachment to suck the air out of the jar itself.

A: “Then the humidipacks would be completely ineffective. No air = no humidity.
ETA: basically, it's an either/or proposition. Either use the humidipacks or vacuum seal. But not both...”

Top Bottom