• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Bud Toaster - (currently: Model 14, version 3)

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
a very good day ...

finally nailed the problem of the power pack end pieces. The design has changed a bit --- i wanted to inlay the printed circuit board so it will be (almost) invisible when the batteries are installed. And instead of using 4-40 screws and nuts to hold the printed circuit board to the 1/4" thick end pieces, i made a 1/4" diameter loop that fits into the wood pieces, and the pcb snaps under the loops:

picture.php

This is the LAST design issue (for this phase) ... on to designing and fabricating the leather case.

Of course this is a very crude implementation -- the CNC router will provide perfect fit and trim pieces that will look worth the price.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Today is the 2nd anniversary of the operation of this vape unit. It has been used every day, 4 or 6 times a day for 2 years with no operational failure or problems of any kind. i'm pleased that it appears to be a robust design.

i've been trying to nail down the case design. i have probably done a dozen prototypes using cardboard ... here is the most recent:

picture.php

inside size is 6.25" long by 3.25" deep by 1.25" high. So add the thickness for the leather covering and the case size will be 6.5" x 3.5" by 1.5". Everything i need to vape is a nice tight package.

The Vapor Psi box is slightly shorter than an Altoids box (80mm x 60mm x 20mm) and holds the meds.

when using the vape, there is a place (front right corner) to set the draw tube so it doesn't roll off the fucking desktop and shatter on the fucking office floor.

picture.php

the design calls for an "L" shaped cover that encloses the top and front (not shown).

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
this is the only vape still on my wish list. i think this vape in conjunction with the VXC and Supreme (for emergencies) id be set in all situations. the box proto design looks awesome. you surely are one detail oriented guy.

IAmKrazy2,
Reactions: darkrom

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
yeah, well, first, thanks! and from my study of the market, this is the only vape i want ...

anyway, i just got my latest purchase from hong kong ... a digital voltmeter that can read from 3vdc to 17vdc. they were $2.40 USD each, so what the heck, i got 10 of them (free shipping, from HK).

Here is the dvm reading the power pack:

picture.php

i just HAD to get the blue LED version. The reason for the dvm is to see if there is enough charge left in the battery pack to do yet another session. When it gets down to 6.00 vdc, it is time to recharge.

there is an open 1/2" space behind the cube in the case, so here is where it will (probably) be mounted:

picture.php

This is also the latest iteration on the case design ... it's starting to come together nicely ... now i'm trying to figure out if i can make 1000 cases.

lazylathe

Almost there...
I WANT ONE!!!!

From everything i have read this vape appears to be "PURE AWESOMENESS!!!"

From an idea to a well used prototype that has survived two years of trials and modifications!

I only have one question:

"Where do i sign up?"

lazylathe,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
I WANT ONE!!!! ... "Where do i sign up?"

Thank-you for your interest. In terms of a schedule ... it will be several months before i am ready to commit the resources (time & money) to start building the units and i am guessing it will take at least 3 months to fabricate the 1,000 units. i plan to document the steps in the thread.

LooneyTune

it's always great coming back to this awesome thread to catch up!
congratulations Hippie Dickie and yayvape, keep rocking and toking that herb :clap:

LooneyTune,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Okay, so i've gone through another dozen (or so) iterations on the case and it is finally coming together. The design is for a leather case, but what that really means i am just finding out ... i've been watching YouTube vdeos on how to make leather stuff.

Anyway, i still have some pink leather on hand, so i tried covering the bottom tray with it:

picture.php

and, clearly, i hadn't figured out shaving the leather to be able to fold it and wrap it. but this is the basic idea in pink:

picture.php

Then i had the idea of wrapping the tray material with waterproof rip-stop nylon, and THEN cover the outside with leather. For this next iteration, i'm using black leather about 1.5mm thick. i didn't have any rip-stop on hand, and the local Wal-Mart superstore doesn't have any, so i used some GorillaTape (like DuckTape, but more serious). And i put two rods across the front of the case to hold the battery pack and cube in place.

Here is the sub-structure for the case. it is 1/16" matte board (left over from another project):

picture.php

the matte board is knotched to hold some thin sheet metal (0.012") clips:

picture.php

the rods are 1/16" wire inserted into 1/8" teflon tube. The ends of the rods are inserted into the clips and don't bulge outside the profile of the 1/16" thick matte board.

And here is the fully GorillaTape-covered tray (i call the bottom portion of the case the "tray", and there will be a fold over flap that will close the case - not fabricated for this iteration).

picture.php

And, with the outer leather covering:

picture.php

i've been living with this version to see how it feels and works. well, i really like the feel of leather, but working wise, i think this is close to what i want. There is a handy loop to hold the draw tube so it doesn't roll off the table and shatter, and a loop to hold the herb vial:

picture.php

i'm pretty sure the front and back must be hinged to fold down to provide complete access to the battery pack (from the back) and the power cable (from the front). and i think i see how to make this happen -- i'm working on the template for the next iteration and to layout the total leather cover with the closing flap.

Last edited:

lazylathe

Almost there...
Awesome update!!
Things are looking very good from this side!!!
If the final product comes in a leather wrapped case it would be very executive!!

Is there any plan for it to be able to be used with a wall-wart and the battery pack?

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
Is there any plan for it to be able to be used with a wall-wart and the battery pack?

The cube accepts any voltage from 6vdc to 20vdc. i have used it with an AC power supply that provides 12vdc and it doesn't affect the +/- 1°F temperature stability. will work from car battery just fine. or DeWalt power pack.

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Love the case. Just wondering if that rip stop is waterproof or just treated for water resistance. Great either way, but just wondering.

IAmKrazy2,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Great point, anything waterproof tends to clean easier allowing less stain penetration. Little wet rag and soap if really needed. Thanks for the update.

Mr. Dabs

I have browsed this thread a while back, but got specifically pointed here from the VAP2 thread. Hippie, this is just too awesome, this "open source" vape you are designing/building. Kudos to you, my man.

I, too, might be interested in one of these, though I'm not sure what your price-point is? While most would consider me slightly to the left of Che, I tend to be ULTRA conservative when it comes to my money. The current tendency of the price point of vapes drifting toward (and northward) of $1000 is a bit disconcerting, to be honest.

In any case, this is a very interesting thread and I'm learning quite a lot. Looking forward to seeing the continued evolution of this little gem.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
thank-you for your interest.

here's my thinking about price point. parts cost for the cube and glass is about $25. feed it anywhere from 6vdc to 20vdc for power and you have a vaporizer.

the product i plan to sell is a complete kit. so add $100 for the cost of batteries, charger, accessories and two cases.

so then it gets down to my labor, and proportionate cost for additional tools and warranty service, and dealer discount, and shipping. i'm guessing 2 hours labor per unit once i have a production stream set up. so this "cost of business" adds $800 per unit.

there is nothing comparable on the market. if price is an issue, people should wait for the chinese knock-off. a chinese knock-off is validation, not competition.

so, that's what i think.

Mr. Dabs

Hippie, thanks for the info. No, I think you have a unique product and you are certainly entitled to charge what you like.

I'm a bit unclear (and slightly medicated, to boot), are you saying you plan on offering both a kit and a ready-to-vape unit? Or are speaking of just a kit?

I'm doing well with my VAP2, MFLB, Dabbler, and various e-cig carts and oils at the moment. As the state of the art progresses, I will as well, but I'm very price conscious. Many aren't and I think that shows in the number of very expensive vapes which seem to sell quite well.

I must say, though, Something that works pretty much like the VAP2...only better (auto temp control) and hand-held, is nothing short of bad ass and you are to be encouraged in its development.

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
are you saying you plan on offering both a kit and a ready-to-vape unit? Or are speaking of just a kit?

sorry i was unclear about that ... no, this will be a fully assembled and ready to vape unit.

i was using "kit" to refer to all the components that make up the full product: cube, glassware, herb box, charger, AC power supply, batteries, tweezers, toothpicks, mini-case that holds the cube, batteries, glassware, herb, and travel case that holds the mini-case and everything else.

Hippie Dickie,

Mr. Dabs

sorry i was unclear about that ... no, this will be a fully assembled and ready to vape unit.

i was using "kit" to refer to all the components that make up the full product: cube, glassware, herb box, charger, AC power supply, batteries, tweezers, toothpicks, mini-case that holds the cube, batteries, glassware, herb, and travel case that holds the mini-case and everything else.

Thanks, Hippie, that clears it up.

While it's probably beyond my skin, at this point, I am still very interested in everything you are doing and the evolution and development of the Bud Toaster.

rayski

You meant accessories but said "kit". Was that Freudian? Is there a kit in the future?

rayski,

lazylathe

Almost there...
I think you guys are reading too much into this...

Hippie will be producing an entire "Kit", which in this case means you get the:
Vape, batteries, connectors and leads, glassware and a case to store everything in.

Something like this would not be offered in "kit" form that you assemble yourself as there are too many tests, fine tuning and other jobs the buyer may not have the tools to accomplish. Not to mention any liability when the buyer wrongly solders stuff together!

As for price, this is a one of a kind vape, not going to be mass produced and marketed around the world.
If you can afford one i am sure the buyer will be more than satisfied with the vape!
A lot of planning, thought, trials and modifications have gone into this one prototype.

This will be one of those "too cool to share" vapes!!!

Top Bottom