The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

Breaking Bud

After playing with the Angus for a couple of weeks, here are some stats and observations from me:

Stats: (I used a new pair of Molicel P28, and used until unit died and then recharged same pair throughout testing):
- Heat up from cold ranged from :56 seconds to 1:26.
- On average, for any level, it takes about 1:10 to get to temp.
- Battery life ran around 53 minutes which translated into 8-9 sessions per charge.

General Observations:
- The 5 minute session timer doesn’t kick in until unit is to temperature. This is different than all my other session vapes, so wanted to call it out.
- I never noticed any drop off in power, even when it is less than 25% power.

- While I don’t think the flavor is outstanding, i also do not think it is terrible - the first few hits of fresh bowl are pretty good.
As the bowl goes on, the flavor goes away pretty quickly. However, toward the end, I never taste that charcoal-y taste like most other session vapes. So in that sense, the flavor is better than a Mighty or HR.

- I love the signature (high) I get from it, probably still in the honeymoon phase here, but with some vapes I never get a honeymoon period.

- It has yet to shut off on me when placing on table, although I tend to hold onto vapes throughout session.

Cooling Unit:
- The silicon taste did dissipate for me, but as MANY others have mentioned, don’t love that it’s there. I would much rather use a native mouthpiece so I can use with one hand, looking forward to new iterations. In the meantime, I am mostly using a WPA

- The mouthpiece makes a “gurgling“ sound when hitting - sort of sounds like a gas flame blowing in the wind. I am not sure how I feel about it (often mesmerized by it when fully stoned), but if you are planning on using in a quiet room, others will hear it.

- While I have yet to cough using CU, the vapor does burn the back of my throat a little. Feels much smoother using a WPA + glass (no water needed)

I probably have a lot more to say, but I am in process of testing against the Mighty, so will probably have more to say here once that is complete.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate!
I concur with everything you said.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Does the Angus come with any finish already applied?
I thought it had been mentioned previously, this is Walnut wood, pretty sure I saw American sourced Walnut mentioned somewhere, not sure if it is a specific type like black walnut though there is some figuring, seem to be crosscut, end grain?
I think I also saw reference somewhere to walnut, but that can mean a lot of things.
Once when I was in school I made a mirror frame from something at the time called South American Walnut. Dark with some grain similarities to black walnut, though much more homogenous and it smelled like doo-doo while I was cutting and working it. I've read that this species was introduced to southeast Asia in mid 20th century...and it resembles a native species there called Suar.
So, I'm just curious about species, no particular red-flag waving about it, but deep down I hope it is North American Black Walnut.
My reference on the above; https://suarwoodtable.com/south-ame...of South American,this tree to Southeast Asia.

With the Angus, I do a double take seeing the horizontal grain orientation; the holes drilled for the batteries are within a few sixteenths of the edge, or in this case, the end?

checkyourlibido

There goes my Sunday I guess :goon: Mentioned to Mike and the reseller about the plastic taste I get from my unit without the cu, but my questions are as of yet not answered, he has neither asked me to send in the unit for inspection. Mike initially said he'd talk to the engineers about my issue and get back to me the following day. When I did not hear from him I messaged him again asking the same question, but he just answered that he had a lot to do with the new cu. Promised to send out the new cooling unit directly to me since the reseller isn't responding.
Plastic, yuck lol. But, truly awesome that Mike is handling it directly. Good luck with getting that kind of service with most big businesses and contractual blah blah blah.

seedy53

Does the Angus come with any finish already applied?

I think I also saw reference somewhere to walnut, but that can mean a lot of things.
Once when I was in school I made a mirror frame from something at the time called South American Walnut. Dark with some grain similarities to black walnut, though much more homogenous and it smelled like doo-doo while I was cutting and working it. I've read that this species was introduced to southeast Asia in mid 20th century...and it resembles a native species there called Suar.
So, I'm just curious about species, no particular red-flag waving about it, but deep down I hope it is North American Black Walnut.
My reference on the above; https://suarwoodtable.com/south-american-walnut-furniture/#:~:text=The Origin of South American,this tree to Southeast Asia.

With the Angus, I do a double take seeing the horizontal grain orientation; the holes drilled for the batteries are within a few sixteenths of the edge, or in this case, the end?
linseed oil is best for thirsty wood

Texus

I use Van's cutting board wax on all my wood. Beeswax, carnuba and olive oil in a big, cheap tin that I always have to use with kitchen wood. Ed's and Red's and etc.'s wax are really nice too.
I've heard that olive oil can be a poor choice due to chances of going rancid. But no direct experience or knowledge of how being in a blend impacts things.

Pukka

I've heard that olive oil can be a poor choice due to chances of going rancid. But no direct experience or knowledge of how being in a blend impacts things.
Usually I'd be in complete agreement but it's last on the ingredience list and only there for texture/spreadability. Like the carnuba there for it's hardiness. Besides, I've been using Van's (or same formulation, different name) on my butcher block and wooden cooking gear for decades without issue 🙃. But to your point, yes, on it's own olive oil is a nasty choice for treating wooden projects as it goes rancid (off).

Texus

Usually I'd be in complete agreement but it's last on the ingredience list and only there for texture/spreadability. Like the carnuba there for it's hardiness. Besides, I've been using Van's (or same formulation, different name) on my butcher block and wooden cooking gear for decades without issue 🙃. But to your point, yes, on it's own olive oil is a nasty choice for treating wooden projects as it goes rancid (off).
Like I said, no personal experience. Interesting sounding formula!

Or maybe I'll just dip mine in 3M adhesive. Less likelihood of drops that way...

Texus,

Pukka

Or maybe I'll just dip mine in 3M adhesive. Less likelihood of drops that way...
If I did that poor old Angus'd grow a beard o' dog hair 🙃

Seriously, I'm actually looking for a food safe/minimum component bees wax/hemp oil formula product. Everything I've found thus far contain a bunch of stuff I can't pronounce along with the 2 or 4 things that are OK.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member

jasp3r

Or maybe I'll just dip mine in 3M adhesive. Less likelihood of drops that way...Te
Have you noticed you are the only one talking about it now? Stop trying to enflame everyone please and thank you!

You are trying to belittle people's concerns and are making fun of them, like seriously it's just not constructive and adds quite literally nothing. Some of us like to question things? Especially when it concerns our personal health

FearAndLawyering

honestly i think its intentional decision to attack people who are critical to stop other people from posting their own valid criticisms. these pre-order customers who only have positive things to say and personally attack people who might say unflattering things. maybe if they had a more critical eye on the device it wouldn't have shipped with such glaring issues.

for all intents and purposes, it was immediately recalled. if a vendor has units on hand they refuse to sell because they're waiting for the revision... its because that part has been recalled. why even debate it.

the maker has done a great job of responding to criticisms and it is improving the quality of the product. everyone should be interested in that goal. to dismiss the criticism is to dismiss the efforts of the creator to respond to that criticism, which is not fair to them

some things are up in the air still:

- patent information. does it actually have one? whats the #. its been heavily marketed as patent approved
- tear down and information regarding 'delicate soldering'. and the location of the temp sensor
- the melted unit: this seems isolated to a single specific unit because nobody has been able to replicate it. it would be nice if this was confirmed somehow

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

these pre-order customers who only have positive things to say and personally attack people who might say unflattering things. maybe if they had a more critical eye on the device it wouldn't have shipped with such glaring issues.
Dude you're repetitive and boring.

I just bought a device, used it and shared my experiences. I'm not doing extensive testing and reviews, I have no interest in using a device in such a manner, more so because I paid real money for it I'm not gonna push it to see if it melt or some shit. I don't feel blameworthy for other peoples buying decisions. Mentioned even that my general praise for it was as a session portable. Only thing I feel I missed is that oring on top of the chamber.

Anyone that was expecting artisan levels of attention to detail, and somehow a session device that taste like pure convection, they're just silly. Then they were really fooled mostly by themselves. They got carried away by hype themselves. When v3p got praised for flavor it's also in the context of the device tier, nobody is whining about that. Shit taste like plastic. So yeah fuck that whining lol

FearAndLawyering

Sorry you thought I was talking about you and I think you missed the point.
"and personally attack people"
- I haven't found you to be attacking other people for sharing their opinions in the way other users have.

if im boring and repetitive for asking the same questions, maybe they could get answered at some point?

OH and fun thought re: melted cooling unit - if it's assumed to be a one off problem or a fault with the device for overheating, then re-doing the CU doesnt do anything. changing it to a plastic less likely to melt doesnt do anything to address the fact the heater ran way too hot.

the root question still holds - was the heater functioning within range? if not the issue persists. the fault unit must be torn down and examined and any bandaid fixes in the meantime are throwing darts at a problem

Texus

C'mon y'all. That was a pretty funny joke, if I do say so myself. Not top tier B0 kinda joke. But at least a v3Pro level joke. Joke about asking all of these questions to other fan favorite manufacturers, maybe that was Roffu level.

But jokes aside, my two main concerns here have always been:

1) The extreme nitpicking and more specifically the tone, hyperbole and language of used is going to discourage manufacturer participation in the forum, which is one of my favorite aspects of FC. We don't need accusations like counterfeit CE etc hurled at manufacturers (Ahem. @Grass Yes : "Did you not see the counterfeit CE mark on the vape?"), and I don't see most manufacturers treated like this. And we've already seen YLL walk away from FC once in reaction to the toxic feel of this thread.

2) Commenters misrepresenting of the overall distribution of impressions of the Angus. To read some comments you'd think that this vape was an absolute failure, and those of us with positive experiences are having our takes summarily dismissed in favor of those with less positive experiences. I'm not denying that folks are having these negative experiences, even tho I'm not sure what the root cause of these drastically different reactions are.

And I certainly am not a fan of these insinuations that people with positive experiences have somehow been bribed by VGoodiez or YLL.

However I think it is especially rich when it is clear that some other members here are not disclosing their connection and comps from YLLVAPE.

@Grass Yes Still waiting for you to name names instead of this sort of accusation and innuendo. I know that I only came into communication with Mike at YLL about a week or so ago (on IG since he'd gotten fed up with FC toxicity, understandably so). But I do think I was probably one of the first to reach out to Scott about my interest in the Angus. Just like I did for the Thermal Accumulator.

And now I'll try again to shut the hell up. Not my strong suit when I feel people are being treated unfairly tho.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari

I think you missed the point.
I don't think so.

Because this has nothing to do with attacking people with questions:

maybe if they had a more critical eye on the device it wouldn't have shipped with such glaring issues.

It can be said about all of us who received a unit early.

for asking the same questions
I have no issue with that as I've stated here on multiple occasions.

Abele Rizieri Ferrari,
  • Haha
Reactions: zakku91

FearAndLawyering

ok let’s take turn on dead horses tonight then

the fake ce mark… is fake. it’s a china export mark, not the EU mark. the photos of the CE testing the device show the marks on the device so he planned to ship with the mark printed whether they had a cert or not. the fact he got a real certificate to go with his fake mark doesn’t really make it better. also if you really wanna get bit picky the certificate he posted was cropped and censored. if you look at a real certificate it doesn’t look the same. but i don’t even want to bother with that, the actual CE ratings probably don’t mean anything much either - it doesn’t mean it’s safe to breathe from. only that it won’t catch fire when plugged in. but we already saw a unit melt so, the mark did nothing

and being scared of chasing off manufacturers from the thread… boo hoo. he can participate or not but we don’t need to capitulate to people trying to sell stuff. a large portion of us would even prefer they not engage probably, but again it’s whatever and i don’t care to push the point

you bought the device, you like the device, why are you even here? why do you keep posting and trying to stir the pot? regular consumers don’t keep coming back posting to a product trying to push it

Last edited:
FearAndLawyering,

Texus

you bought the device, you like the device, why are you even here?
Because Vapes are a topic I enjoy discussing. Particularly the ones I very much like. I've been similarly active on Bowle, CH, Anvil, Cloud Conniuser glass, VapBong, Herborizer and others. Tho not quite so ardent. Because I don't see other manufacturers being treated like this to such a degree.

For me, it is usually quite pleasant to exchange tips, experiences, tweaks, mods, accessories with other vapers. And always curious about innovation in this space so tend to be an early adopter for better, for worse.

And I know others would be the interested in things like how the Angus and Thermal Accumulator compare. Or how you can gain even more control of your Angus hit thru feathering and creative WPA loading, inching it toward heavy hitter territory (tho to be clear it is not there. Anvil is still the only portable I consider a true heavy hitter).

And something to do as I lazily occilate between Angus, Herbo and Thermal Accumulator tonight. None jumping out as superior to one another except in certain characteristics and strengths. Each a joy to pick up and use.

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
@Grass Yes Still waiting for you to name names instead of this sort of accusation and innuendo.
I had a private DM with a reseller after this message. It is against the forum rules to disclose the contents of the DM, but if you want to say how much you paid, what you received, and any agreements that you made about this vape I would welcome that.

Top Bottom