The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

Pukka

I don't know a thing about plastics. Can anyone here explain why so many people have a problem with this CU but don't have a problem with the Mighty cooling unit?

Not asking for a comparison of effectiveness vs the Mighy, I'm just asking what's the difference in materials where are people generally ok with Mighty but suspect of the Angus? Thanks
Plastics (actually everything in general and man-made stuff in particular) can off-gas products and by-products that aren't at all healthy for us humans to inhale with our cannabis vapor. The real question is what temperature the plastics starts to release noxious poop. Some, like S&B's, are safe to a high enough temperature that it doesn't matter (they sell a medically certified device in Germany fwiw). Others, like Angus apparently, are off-gassing or otherwise affecting some folks so YLL is redesigning/replacing it.

Vapor path and what's in it is one of the big discussion point with any new vaporizer. We're all looking for all glass but lots of other materials are perfectly acceptable replacements for most people. Some people are simply more sensitive, making it necessary for the manufacturer to change up things.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Take both the chamber screen out, replace with lighter mesh like a mighty screen, take the same screen out of the WPA and let the big holed screen be the screen, the WPA will filter the rest of the nugglets before the glass, and have a merry fuckcombustion.com Christmas baby! Give the lad a chance the shit works and it's Christmas! :tup:

Texus

Take both the chamber screen out, replace with lighter mesh like a mighty screen, take the same screen out of the WPA and let the big holed screen be the screen, the WPA will filter the rest of the nugglets before the glass, and have a merry fuckcombustion.com Christmas baby! Give the lad a chance the shit works and it's Christmas! :tup:

Love overfilling the WPA and normal herb chamber. Big Ole hits!!

BingsBuddery

Derelict Meatsack
I concur.

Last edited:

JCC

Plastics (actually everything in general and man-made stuff in particular) can off-gas products and by-products that aren't at all healthy for us humans to inhale with our cannabis vapor. The real question is what temperature the plastics starts to release noxious poop. Some, like S&B's, are safe to a high enough temperature that it doesn't matter (they sell a medically certified device in Germany fwiw). Others, like Angus apparently, are off-gassing or otherwise affecting some folks so YLL is redesigning/replacing it.

Vapor path and what's in it is one of the big discussion point with any new vaporizer. We're all looking for all glass but lots of other materials are perfectly acceptable replacements for most people. Some people are simply more sensitive, making it necessary for the manufacturer to change up things.

first, plastic that might be having an impact on flavor, as first reported by a few, then the melting, from what was most likely a short circuit, both of which might be true of s&b's use of PEEK in it's portables, I've seen photos of a melted mighty, never used one so can't comment on flavor, cheers!

JCC,
Reactions: DadaBoo

DadaBoo

B2, Mighty+, M/Omni, Volcano Hybrid, TM2, Anvil
I suppose it could be argued, as the Angus is capable of running at 230c, that there is a greater chance of melting/off gassing etc than a Mighty.

DadaBoo,
Reactions: jasp3r

Pukka

I suppose it could be argued, as the Angus is capable of running at 230c, that there is a greater chance of melting/off gassing etc than a Mighty.
Ehhh, maybe? It really (kinda, remember that fiberglass was used for cigarette filters at one time) depends on material specs, interactions between tha material and vapor components, heat, wear, ... the list kinda goes on. Don't forget to include variable individual sensitivities too. Oh, and remember, some researcher looking for a grant/grift may come up with some new reason X effects 1 out of a 1000 lab rats so now you can't use Y for food surfaces. It never stops.

Pukka,
Reactions: DadaBoo

DadaBoo

Absolutely, but as we have seen melting in both the Mighty and the Angus (remember, the Angus has not been out long and I suspect there are not as many units out in the wilderness as there are with the Mighty), its proof it can and does happen...how regularly and under what circumstances is of more importance me thinks.

Let's see how it pans out and what the breakdown reveals, but it's not a great start, that much is certain.

I'm sure Angus 1.5 or 2 will be the bollox.

Failure is a stepping stone to success, as they say.

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
Absolutely, but as we have seen melting in both the Mighty and the Angus (remember, the Angus has not been out long and I suspect there are not as many units out in the wilderness as there are with the Mighty), its proof it can and does happen...how regularly and under what circumstances is of more importance me thinks.

Let's see how it pans out and what the breakdown reveals, but it's not a great start, that much is certain.

I'm sure Angus 1.5 or 2 will be the bollox.

Failure is a stepping stone to success, as they say.
I wouldn't say the vape is a failure at all. One of the stronger out imho. Maybe Accessory failure more suited? Actually never one I intended to use so for me the vape is a winner not failure but each to their own with consumption habits.

DadaBoo

Fair enough, I'm personally gonna wait and see what the future brings in regards to updates and improvements.

Texus

but it's not a great start, that much is certain.
Cherrypicking your examples and comments is the only way you could be certain of that.

And likewise to consider this a failure feels like quite a stretch.

Right now we have one melted piece under mysterious circumstances that is being examined. And a small number of super sniffers with issues with the CU and WPA. But they are hardly the only experienced vapers who've used the Angus.

Let's have some perspective here please.

floribud

So I'm about 10 days in and still loving this thing. Yeah I think there's some quality issues with the CU, but YLL is sorting that out with a new design.

I want to sum up the "problem" with the cooling unit. Let me know if I get this right. The CU has 4 plastic parts, top, bottom, lock ring and screen lock (the part that the screen locks into). It's a bit confusing (with 54 pages of FU) but from what I can gather the Top and the Bottom are non-controversial (made of PEEK??). The controversy is in the screen lock ring. Apparenlty YLL could not produce that design in PEEK and another plastic was chosen. YLL says it safe for the designed uses, but others here disagree. Also someone posted a picture of a melted screen lock ring(apparently the result of combustion?). YLL is planning to replace the plastic screen lock ring with a new metal design.

From what I gather this should make the Angus CU as "safe" as the Mighty CU. However if you don't trust plastic at all, and therefore don't trust the Mighty then none of this matters to you. Anyway I will be happy to see the new CU. But for right now the current CU is fine for me. I just got a second one, and before I used it, I soaked it in just boiled water for two 10 minute cycles. The rest of my Angus, being used for 10 days now, is extremely neutral in the taste it adds to flower. I tried out the new CU and couldn't taste any plasticy taste or off-gasing. Also since YLL and Vgoodies are suggesting not to use ISO on the cooling unit right now, I highly recommend a couple soak session in ~212F water.

Also, once again be careful opening the CU for the first time and do it while hot. Dynawax or beeswax on the silicon ring will make it much easier to open close the CU. Also the magnets, which are embedded in the bottom of the CU are VERY strong. After waxing the o-ring, if you put the lock ring in the open position, the bottom of the CU can be pulled just by lifting the CU off the Angus ... after a session, you probably don't even need the tweezers.

Texus

But for right now the current CU is fine for me. I just got a second one, and before I used it, I soaked it in just boiled water for two 10 minute cycles. The rest of my Angus, being used for 10 days now, is extremely neutral in the taste it adds to flower.
Was the first CU replaced due to odors or another reason?

Regardless, glad you are getting a neutral experience.

And looking forward to more CU/mouthpiece options in the aftermarket space too. Until then, dimpled cooling stem for FW7 (which some have suggested is a Hulu stem but can't comfirm) for me!

DadaBoo

Cherrypicking your examples and comments is the only way you could be certain of that.

And likewise to consider this a failure feels like quite a stretch.

Right now we have one melted piece under mysterious circumstances that is being examined. And a small number of super sniffers with issues with the CU and WPA. But they are hardly the only experienced vapers who've used the Angus.

Let's have some perspective here please.
What ever way you look at it, having to redesign parts of the CU, shortly after product release, can't really be seen as success.

Rightly or wrongly, I call that a fail....for now...

Pukka

Rightly or wrongly, I call that a fail....for now...
I wonder how many users here, on Discord boards and Reddit, for example, would agree with you? I suspect you would be in the minority. Maybe someone can do a poll.

Other than the perfectly normal robot fart wiff for the first bowl, I've had no off-putting smells, aromas or tastes with the original plastic headpiece. Cleaned it the same way I do everything that can be wet and isn't glass or metal, with eatable Jesus guy peppermint soap and the hottest water I can put my hands in (ex-line cook). Right now I'm using the waterpiece adapter with the black stepped piece from a Tera (it matched better) and a TRWW GMP06 14mm Female Tapered Cooling Stem. Honestly, good to the last toke and equal to my Highlighter and Titi.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I wonder how many users here, on Discord boards and Reddit, for example, would agree with you?
I do. This c/u is basically being recalled like a Tesla. Probably in an abundance of caution, I understand, but there are multiple revisions happening here, in the very first weeks of distribution. Some per user feedback, but there is that ugly photo...
Not a fail of the device, just a component, a critical one. A bigger company might have tested longer pre-production.
Semantics, either a fail or a stumble, it is being re-done, retroactive, for what sounds like all buyers to date.

Last edited:

DadaBoo

I wonder how many users here, on Discord boards and Reddit, for example, would agree with you? I suspect you would be in the minority. Maybe someone can do a poll.

Other than the perfectly normal robot fart wiff for the first bowl, I've had no off-putting smells, aromas or tastes with the original plastic headpiece. Cleaned it the same way I do everything that can be wet and isn't glass or metal, with eatable Jesus guy peppermint soap and the hottest water I can put my hands in (ex-line cook). Right now I'm using the waterpiece adapter with the black stepped piece from a Tera (it matched better) and a TRWW GMP06 14mm Female Tapered Cooling Stem. Honestly, good to the last toke and equal to my Highlighter and Titi.

Good on them, if they love the vape they currently have, then all the power to them.

For me, I would be a fool purchasing this vape, as it currently stands, knowing that improvements are coming down the line soonish (I can only assume that YLLvape are making these improvements, because they feel they have too). It would be more prudent of me to wait untll the improvements have been implemented and tested. Why would I buy it at this moment right now?

Thats a bit of a fail, shortly after a vape launch, Imo ofc.

It's no different to the S&B metal filings saga...that was a fail to, but that doesn't mean the products themselves failed. I'm sure S&B learned from it and I'm sure YLLvape has too.

DadaBoo

I bought it and have used it since launch and I love it. The flavor and extraction using the stock mouth piece is a massive improvement over my mighty. I can't put it down, it you don't want to buy it don't, if you do, I bet you're not disappointed.

It's not a matter of not wanting to buy it, it's more a "why buy it now, when in a few weeks, the new and improved version will be out", kinda situation.

DadaBoo,
Reactions: Kudzu407

Pukka

Good on them, if they love the vape they currently have, then all the power to them.

For me, I would be a fool purchasing this vape, as it currently stands, knowing that improvements are coming down the line soonish (I can only assume that YLLvape are making these improvements, because they feel they have too). It would be more prudent of me to wait untll the improvements have been implemented and tested. Why would I buy it at this moment right now?

Thats a bit of a fail, shortly after a vape launch, Imo ofc.

It's no different to the S&B metal filings saga...that was a fail to, but that doesn't mean the products themselves failed. I'm sure S&B learned from it and I'm sure YLLvape has too.
That's nice. However,

You are basing your argument on unverified pictures of damage off the internet and "taste/smell" reports, from possibly sensitive individuals, which have been "post office gamed" around until it's now the word of god. I honestly don't think so. I'll wait for someone I trust like VGoodieZ to verify.

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, saying there aren't possible issues, nor am I disputing your or anyone else's thoughts on the product. What I can't do is ignore my personal experiences, which are backed up by a vast majority of owners. My friend, you don't even own the device. All you're doing is passing on "rumor" at the moment and adding on to that "word of god" thing.

Again, I value your opinion, reguardless if I agree or not.

DadaBoo

That's nice. However,

You are basing your argument on unverified pictures of damage off the internet and "taste/smell" reports, from possibly sensitive individuals, which have been "post office gamed" around until it's now the word of god. I honestly don't think so. I'll wait for someone I trust like VGoodieZ to verify.

I'm not, by any stretch of the imagination, saying there aren't possible issues, nor am I disputing your or anyone else's thoughts on the product. What I can't do is ignore my personal experiences, which are backed up by a vast majority of owners. My friend, you don't even own the device. All you're doing is passing on "rumor" at the moment and adding on to that "word of god" thing.

Again, I value your opinion, reguardless if I agree or not.
Fair enough, you love it in its current state.

I'm gonna wait until the improvements drop.

DadaBoo,
Reactions: seedy53
Top Bottom