The Angus Halogen Vape by YLL Vape

floribud

I got one of the first Angus from Vgoodiez. It died (stopped heating enough to produce vapor) about 2 month later. Vgoodiez sent me a replacement. That one worked for about 14 months and then stopped regulating heat altogher. You turn it one and it's just on.
Anyway, at this point no warranty, but YLLVape offerd 40% on a new ruby one. I took them up on the offer and got my Ruby today. Just letting y'all know my experience so far. Plan to "go deep" with the Ruby tomorrow and compare. I used the OG Angus almost every night for a year, so I can't wait to see if I can taste and feel the differnce with the 100w bulb as well.

Maschine

Glad for your new device!

That one worked for about 14 months and then stopped regulating heat altogher. You turn it one and it's just on.
That sounds like the same issue I had with my first device. Hopefully they offer me something similar if the bulb dies one time.

Could you maybe check how long the heating time is at 220°C with your version? Very often I start heating while loading to be honest.

May I ask where you acquired yours? Mine was from VapeWidgets, blurb was advertised as 100w, unit is marked 50w. Unit has rubies and the revised battery caps. I'm wondering if it's a case of new internals in NOS externals.
Hi, same problem here: I just received the unit from VapeWidgets and it's marked 50 watts. I took some photos and I sent them to Yllvape. Just got the answer:

"hello,
It's 100W version, but we not got the 50W nameplate done yet. We will correct for next produciton.

Thank you

Mike Yllvape
Email/Skype: mike@yllvape.com"

Enjoy 😁

Pukka

Hi, same problem here: I just received the unit from VapeWidgets and it's marked 50 watts. I took some photos and I sent them to Yllvape. Just got the answer:

"hello,
It's 100W version, but we not got the 50W nameplate done yet. We will correct for next produciton.

Thank you

Mike Yllvape
Email/Skype: mike@yllvape.com"

Enjoy 😁
Thank you! That's what I thought, it's nice getting comfirmation.

As an aside, I never recieved an answer from VapeWidgets despite multiple emails. Pretty bad customer service, IMO. Guess that's another business on the "do not recommend" list.

Maschine

52 seconds.

Seems to work much like the OG. I can't tell a difference in vape performance
Thank you! Hope you enjoyed your session :D
I think due to the balls as heat storage there will be no difference except of the heating time but was hoping for a remarkable faster heating time.
I started a fresh pair of 18650 recently and will measure the heating time with the 50 W version.

I started a fresh pair of 18650 recently and will measure the heating time with the 50 W version.
Did a test:
Full charged batteries bought 3-4 weeks ago.
With a Angus 50 Watt version: Heating from 21° C room temperature to max temperature 1.19 seconds.
The 100 Watt version is indeed remarkable faster in heating. I really want an upgrade. Angus is my daily driver at the moment.

bumaye

The bulb of my Angus broke so I installed a new one with the same specs (50W).
I changed the bulb successfully but now the Angus only heats up initially and when reaching the desired temperature the bulb goes off and the lower LED of the ring lights up with the device not responding. Turning it off works, but when I turn it back on the lower LED is lighting up again and the device is not responding. Disconnecting the battery "resets" the device so it heats again but only once until it reaches the temp.
I also wrote YLL an email but they did not respond yet.

Has anyone done a bulb replacement and encountered similar problems?

bumaye,
  • Wow
Reactions: cosimo

BingsBuddery

Derelict Meatsack
The bulb of my Angus broke so I installed a new one with the same specs (50W).
I changed the bulb successfully but now the Angus only heats up initially and when reaching the desired temperature the bulb goes off and the lower LED of the ring lights up with the device not responding. Turning it off works, but when I turn it back on the lower LED is lighting up again and the device is not responding. Disconnecting the battery "resets" the device so it heats again but only once until it reaches the temp.
I also wrote YLL an email but they did not respond yet.

Has anyone done a bulb replacement and encountered similar problems?
I have.. I repair, service, and convert Angus units for Soothing Vapours in Canada. It sounds to me like you broke the temperature sensor wire from one side of the PCB on disassembly, which will cause it to act like that because it can't regulate temperature with only one half of the sensor active. The fix isn't easy, you need some pretty specific solder tools and some skill soldering a small pcb trace. If you'd like, you can speak with Phil, the owner at Soothing Vapours about shipping it up to me, as this is something I have the ability to repair. Cheers.

Last edited:

BingsBuddery

Derelict Meatsack
you would be the guy to ask, Is there any reason not to swap the 50w to 100w? like a firmware change?
The 100W conversions that I do use the new 100W PCB as supplied to us by YLL, which does have different firmware. I haven't tried to run a 100W bulb on an original 50W PCB, but I'll inquire with Mike to see if it would be possible to just swap to the higher wattage bulb without needing the new PCB... stay tuned. (I'd try it, but I don't have any spare units on hand, just my already converted 100W).

bumaye

I have.. I repair, service, and convert Angus units for Soothing Vapours in Canada. It sounds to me like you broke the temperature sensor wire from one side of the PCB on disassembly, which will cause it to act like that because it can't regulate temperature with only one half of the sensor active. The fix isn't easy, you need some pretty specific solder tools and some skill soldering a small pcb trace. If you'd like, you can speak with Phil, the owner at Soothing Vapours about shipping it up to me, as this is something I have the ability to repair. Cheers.
Unfortunately I’m in Germany :(
Damn, so that means I actually bricked my angus…
I did the ruby upgrade and it worked. Then I heard something rattling inside and saw that the glass ring beneath the bulb broke. Mike sent me a metal replacement and everything was back to normal. Then the bulb died and I thought that should be an easy fix, which it was. Now this :(
Damn, I liked the device, but not enough to buy a new one

BingsBuddery

Derelict Meatsack
Unfortunately I’m in Germany :(
Damn, so that means I actually bricked my angus…
I did the ruby upgrade and it worked. Then I heard something rattling inside and saw that the glass ring beneath the bulb broke. Mike sent me a metal replacement and everything was back to normal. Then the bulb died and I thought that should be an easy fix, which it was. Now this :(
Damn, I liked the device, but not enough to buy a new one
I'm sure any electronics repair shop could do that fix for you, but it would require you disassembling, and taking the pcb and oven with broken wire to a shop and inquiring about a cost. It's a 2 minute fix for a qualified individual, as long as you aren't asking them to do the disassembly. This also assumes that I am correct wrt to the problem... I couldn't be sure without seeing it's guts.

bumaye

I'm sure any electronics repair shop could do that fix for you, but it would require you disassembling, and taking the pcb and oven with broken wire to a shop and inquiring about a cost. It's a 2 minute fix for a qualified individual, as long as you aren't asking them to do the disassembly. This also assumes that I am correct wrt to the problem... I couldn't be sure without seeing it's guts.
Thank you very much for your thoughts! I disassembled the unit and found that one of the sensor wires disconnected from the PCB. I soldered it and now the device is functioning just as it should! Very easy fix! I was worried that the cable might be broken in the middle as it is just squished into together with the rubber part.
Thanks!

BingsBuddery

Derelict Meatsack
Thank you very much for your thoughts! I disassembled the unit and found that one of the sensor wires disconnected from the PCB. I soldered it and now the device is functioning just as it should! Very easy fix! I was worried that the cable might be broken in the middle as it is just squished into together with the rubber part.
Thanks!
Hell yeah! Nice work, man! Colour me impressed.

BingsBuddery,
Reactions: cosimo

encoderboy

So I picked up a 100W Angus a couple of weeks ago. Put in some fresh Molicel batteries, then left on a holiday for about a week, taking it as my road buddy.

I'm really, really impressed with this thing! I've owned a Mighty and a Crafty, both of which had been run to the point where the batteries were getting impractical to use. Right off the bat, it performs at least as well as they do, and I daresay much better to my taste! This is all a bit in comparison to S&B portables, but:

- It feels great in the hand. It's bigger than I expected. Has a good heft. I'm a sucker for wood.
- The Angus UI took a little getting used to, but it's dead easy once you figure it out.
- Angus is a whole lot tastier. I can hold more in the oven! I love the taste of a halogen heat source, and it makes for a really long lasting, efficient extraction.
- Angus kit as provided is exceptional. Taking the whole thing on the road with me, it struck me as incredibly well thought out and comprehensive.
- I like the 5 minute session window. Generally after 5 minutes I've either already tapped out for a breather, or moved up to a higher temp. Seems to make the device very efficient for battery use.
- I was getting a good 6-7x 5minute sessions out of a full charge of the batteries, depending on how hot I kept the unit.
- Speaking of heat - that's my only criticism. The metal on the top of the batteries / oven (which is exposed to your hands when you hold it) gets warm enough to make me cautious with it. While I don't see myself getting it all hot enough to be problematic, I was still a bit freaked out by how hot the Molicels came out one time. Not as hot as the top metal plate, but warmer than I'd like.

I really tossed up between this and the Enhanced when I ordered from their website. I ended up going with the 100W only because they had stock and I wasn't sure if an Enhanced would get to me in time.

My only regret now is not getting the Enhanced though! It seems like everything I didn't like has been improved there, and that kit is absolutely astonishing in how much it includes.

Also, for context - the Angus 100W kit delivered from the yllvape website cost me less than half of the price of a Mighty+ here.

I am still reserving some praise until I clean out the CU and see how that all goes! But jeez, it's a beast of a portable so far, I reckon!

Oh, and a couple more things while I think of them!

- Mike got this thing delivered to me stoopid-fast.. I think it was 6 days to Australia. He also included a bonus leather strap, which is neat (and helps handle the heat better!).
- He was also great answering a Q I had - apparently the design of the CU has changed a little, and the new design is now a touch too low for the dosing capsules. Consequently while it all works with capsules, the CU isn't held on quite as tightly, and honestly it feels a bit janky to me in use. Once I stopped trying to use the dosing capsules, I started to have a much better time with it!

colla69

Hi guys,

I read throught the thread and have a couple questions that have not been covered yet.

First thing would be the chamber size in comparison to the older versions...
Are the dosing capsules from the rubies version compatible with the enhanced?

The second question would be about shipping to Europe (precisely Germany).
I could not find the angus enhanced anywhere to buy from a European shop, that only leaves the option to buy one from the official website.
Since they are shipping from china, I am worried about customs. Since in my experience, the taxes can get quite expensive, i wanted to ask if somebody already has some experience importing one.

Thank you in advance, this is a great community :)

colla69,

Sue Narmy

Hi guys,

I read throught the thread and have a couple questions that have not been covered yet.

First thing would be the chamber size in comparison to the older versions...
Are the dosing capsules from the rubies version compatible with the enhanced?

I could not find the angus enhanced anywhere to buy from a European shop, that only leaves the option to buy one from the official website.
Since they are shipping from china, I am worried about customs. Since in my experience, the taxes can get quite expensive, i wanted to ask if somebody already has some experience importing one.

Thank you in advance, this is a great community :)
I asked that question on instagram about the capsules and they said the stainless steel ones won’t fit the enhanced.

Nebelmann

I'd just wait for verdampftnochmal.de to get them in stock. Makes shipping and possible warranty issues a bit easier. Maybe one of the french shops gets them even earlier

Nebelmann,

colla69

I'd just wait for verdampftnochmal.de to get them in stock. Makes shipping and possible warranty issues a bit easier. Maybe one of the french shops gets them even earlier
That's a good point.. i guess it can't hurt to try and write them an email ;) maybe they missed it

Edit: I found it ^^ a presale was started, I am pretty sure it wasn't there yesterday 🤔

SonicBacon

I had my OG 50W Angus upgraded to 100W by Soothing Vapours and I am very happy with the results. I am finding the vapour quality is much better (less sharp) now, and I am getting more consistent vapourization across the load. Below is a picture of 7 bowls run, starting with heat level 3 at the top, level 4 mid row (far right boosted 1/2 way), level 5 bottom row.

It previously was uncomfortable to finish a full bowl without the vapour getting a bit too hot, but now I can manage the full bowl no problem right to the end.

Battery life is also improved and the body doesn’t get as warm overall.

Noticable upgrade all around imo.

Cheers

imor jones

I had my OG 50W Angus upgraded to 100W by Soothing Vapours and I am very happy with the results. I am finding the vapour quality is much better (less sharp) now, and I am getting more consistent vapourization across the load. Below is a picture of 7 bowls run, starting with heat level 3 at the top, level 4 mid row (far right boosted 1/2 way), level 5 bottom row.

It previously was uncomfortable to finish a full bowl without the vapour getting a bit too hot, but now I can manage the full bowl no problem right to the end.

Battery life is also improved and the body doesn’t get as warm overall.

Noticable upgrade all around imo.

Cheers
Nice i would like to get an 100w bulb upgrade as well. Somebody know where to get in Europe/ germany?

Bolenat

Nebelmann

Will probably be cheaper to buy the 100w Ruby wood Angus once it's widely available in Europe than sending your unit to the states. Haven't heard of an EU based modder. Plus it will have the new firmware.

Top Bottom